• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario: Color Splash |OT| Oh, Mario, you old flatterer, you

bart64

Banned
Played a bit more of this last night after a little break due to travel, really losing interest because of the battles, noticeably the ones that only require 2/3 cards, totally unnecessary, difficult to avoid and just grind.

Now I'm left with a small handful of cards and don't want to trek all the way back to the port town, I just want to keep going but every battle just wastes my cards until all I'm left with is my special ones, which I don't want to waste as I'll have to buy them again for a hefty price.

The bloopers and boos can't be beat with one mallet hit as some people are saying. Every battle is one regular and then a stack of 10.

It gets in the way of me enjoying an otherwise great game.

I would encourage you to make the 20 second trip back to port town after you have a feel for the enemies. You probably have enough money and space to buy ten or fifteen of the exact cards you need to plow through all the tricky enemies. Think of it as another puzzle--putting together what you consider to be the best deck and seeing how things play out.

Plus there is usually something more to do in town: refill hearts and paint, listed to a rumor, read some mail, donate all your new cards, make sure you're on point with your things.

Soundslike

Neo Member
Selecting Basic button option for battle are the way to go. I wouldnt say thats more work than the typical rpg.

Fav moment this far must be on bliss beach: t
he ukulele music while toads are dancing and mario and Huey is hanging out on a beach chair.
Is that SMB3 overworld music?

1upsuper

I would encourage you to make the 20 second trip back to port town after you have a feel for the enemies. You probably have enough money and space to buy ten or fifteen of the exact cards you need to plow through all the tricky enemies. Think of it as another puzzle--putting together what you consider to be the best deck and seeing how things play out.

Plus there is usually something more to do in town: refill hearts and paint, listed to a rumor, read some mail, donate all your new cards, make sure you're on point with your things.

Yup. I make very frequent trips to Not-Toad Town and there's usually a few new things to check out or turn into the museum. It's only a couple minutes out of your way.

Alright I'm stuck at a very silly part. I'm at the Tangerino Grill where you have to
fight and cook the steak. I know you have to hit the steak with hammers until it bends over halfway and then use salt & pepper, grill and lemon. However for some reason it just doesn't work for me. Like I even looked up a video of the fight and saw the person in the video was able to use 3 cards at once, but that option never appears for me. Did I miss something or am I really not triggering something to allow that to happen? Like must I play all 3 things cards in one go , because I can't see anything else I'm doing different.

Like it's so stupid I'm stuck here lol

KiN0

Alright I'm stuck at a very silly part. I'm at the Tangerino Grill where you have to
fight and cook the steak. I know you have to hit the steak with hammers until it bends over halfway and then use salt & pepper, grill and lemon. However for some reason it just doesn't work for me. Like I even looked up a video of the fight and saw the person in the video was able to use 3 cards at once, but that option never appears for me. Did I miss something or am I really not triggering something to allow that to happen? Like must I play all 3 things cards in one go , because I can't see anything else I'm doing different.

That segment needs to be completed in three turns or less. If you want to use more than just the two cards, you can get an upgrade by
returning the tea pot to the Dark Bloo Inn

KeRaSh

Played some more yesterday. Finished chapter 3 and am 3/4 through chapter 4. The only annoying thing was the (transportation spoiler)
boat ride
The section where you had to collect at least a certain amount of coins took me more tries than expected. I'm guessing kids playing this would have a pretty hard time here.
I kind of cheated during the
Sniffit or Whiffit
minigame on my second attempt because I couldn't be bothered with throwing out cards to repurchase them again before every attempt so I filmed the rounds and checked the tapes... Don't judge me...

El Odio

Banned

I don't know if you're still stuck here but a great hit from a giant hammer and a normal one are enough to get the meat tenderized enough. From there two turns is enough to use the proper things.
Ahh, one of my favorite tunes from the ost. This song, and the whole area honestly, were so creepy and unsettling. It felt like something from courage the cowardly dog.
I never thought of it like that but when you put it that way I could totally imagine that song suddenly start playing off some old record player in an old spooky house or something. :lol

Yukinari

If it werent for the game giving you a ton of creative scenarios and settings near the latter half i would have seriously stopped playing cause of the stupidly easy (and tedious) battles and broken economy.

Not to mention the cut out puzzles sometimes are a stretch to figure out so instinctively youll tap the cut button on every screen thats a dead end because you know thats the inevitable solution. Its just not a fun mechanic. Oh and since the battles are such a joke apart from a few instances like the circus chapter, the game will do its best to use hazards/chase sequences to get you killed. The only times ive died are from those sections.

But i will say that the dialogue, graphics, music and levels are 10 times better than anything Sticker Star offered.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just got the second star in the Sacred Forest. Surely I'm more than half way by now, right? Or are the big stars all roughly evenly spread out?

Conezays

Enjoying the game quite a bit so far! As others have mentioned, the soundtrack is great. I just got the first major star and I've apparently spent 8:25 hours (have 100 %'d a few areas). I have to assume it won't take this long to get the other major stars.

I'm at the Tangerino Grill...I hope it's possible to make a botch job of the
pizza
you have to make.

I remember this intermission in the first Paper Mario where you, as Peach, had to bake a cake and could choose all sorts of ingredients to go in it to hilarious results.

Alpha_eX

I get all of that, but there's no combination of cards that will clear a battle in any less than two cards, so it gets tedious, quickly.

I managed to clear that area and now onto another, the building of the train was a lot of fun but the kitchen just makes me want to tear my hair out.

Speaking of ragtime tunes, I love the ragtime version of the title music that plays when you browse the interactive in-game manual.

Actually, the game's manual is perhaps the best I've ever seen and used in a game. Its layout feels more like a paper manual while retaining the ability to hotlink to different sections of the manual, it's interactive with the ability to unhide spoilers or tap icons on a map or watch videos, and it's embedded into the game in clever ways.

After clearing the Dark Bloo Inn and getting a letter of thanks from the post office, I saw an icon for the manual pop-up. Tapping it, I was instantly taken to a section in the manual with developer notes on the scenario.

Likewise when I was struggling against the ninja shy guys a manual icon popped up, taking me straight to the relevant section when tapped.

Great use of Nintendo Web Framework and I hope more games utilise this (Super Mario Maker was the first I'm aware of like this)

bart64

Banned
I get all of that, but there's no combination of cards that will clear a battle in any less than two cards, so it gets tedious, quickly.

I managed to clear that area and now onto another, the building of the train was a lot of fun but the kitchen just makes me want to tear my hair out.

Got it. Yeah the kitchen was a test, I didn't realize my timing was that bad the whole time. But that's another thing I like, the tutorials are built in, and sometimes come long after you already tried something as a kind of advanced training.

I feel like I can gush about this game forever, just love the variety and foresight to everything. I'm in the final chapter and I just want to savor every minute.

Doorman

Welp, time to take a break for now after just losing to the final boss.

All this sudden emphasis on quick-reaction timing to block attacks with very little visual cue is kind of fucked.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Got the 4th Big Paint Star. Any idea where the final spot to paint is on
Fortune Island
, I'm at 99% & got the one spot that's in the room where you fight the boss.

El Odio

Banned
Got the 4th Big Paint Star. Any idea where the final spot to paint is on
Fortune Island
, I'm at 99% & got the one spot that's in the room where you fight the boss.
I was struggling hard with the same situation and it turned out that I at least was missing a rock on the wall in the giant skull. It's right above the barrel bridge you make.

So I beat the game and
damn, I never thought I would ever be getting emotional about a paint can. I really like how you could actually see throughout the game how Huey comes to like paling around with Mario and it was sad to see him go, especially with how there was no scene at the end where he came back.

In all honest this is probably my favorite Paper Mario game now. I never got sick or annoyed at the combat system like most people and really enjoy how it brings over the game's puzzle emphasis in trying to effectively win the fights in a single turn. Will I beat upset if they actually do go back to the original style, no, but a more polished approach to the current gameplay would be preferable.

1upsuper

I just finished the cooking level, which is probably the lowest point in the game so far. Not nearly as fun/cute as Peach's cake baking for Gourmet Guy. And
having to use your hammer exclusively on the steak makes sense in terms of real life tenderizing but it threw me for a loop in the game.
The level right after was dope though. I'm hoping the rest of the game reaches the creative heights of the earlier segments.

Used a long-unused voucher for the local electronics market today to get this (and Fast Racing Neo retail version) this morning. Looking forward to try it out on the weekend, I am in the mood for something more relaxing and quirky right now. I was sold on the game some time ago already when I saw some more gameplay and read in interviews that they've addressed the problems with the card battle system - and seeing feedback in reviews and player opinions, they did a good job. Latest trailer was great, too. Anyway, enjoy the game!

Been playing this in the evenings with my flatmate, and we're quite happy with it. It certainly isn't the most exciting or deep game out there this year, but damn, if it isn't the most charming game I've played in a long time! Really benefits the autumn mood :)

So yeah, I'm up to the hunt for the third big paint star, looking forward to hopefully soon play a train level (I love trains in games!) and enjoyed some of the more clever conceptual levels (such as the haunted inn, the quiz and the sacred forest).

The music is ace, Nintendo just has a great music team this gen especially for their Mario games. And graphically, this might be my favorite game of the year so far (I just like the paper look, I also loved earlier entries and games such as Tearaway)! Battle system is a bit of a mixxed bag - sometimes I enjoy trying to combine new cards for new situations and play around with it, sometimes I just try to avoid a couple of enemies that would just hinder progress without much of a pay-off. Overall, when it works, it can be a lot of fun, when it doesn't, it's sometimes a bit tedious. But overall, it's somewhere between OK and good most of the time with some spikes towards "Oh now that was fun/clever".

Dialogue, puzzle and level design is awesome so far. I like the interconnected stages and the light logical backtracking at times. I love the exploration and the style of the world in general - they somehow make the typical Mario stage themes interesting again in this game through mixxing it up with humour and some fresh ideas.

Anyway, looking forward to continue my playthrough of the game :) I'm actually waiting for my flatmate with this so that we can combine our minds to keep track of tasks, battle tactics and backstories :D

1upsuper

Just beat Green Energy Plant a little while ago.
Level of the year for sure. Super Paper Mario meets Super Mario Bros. 3 was definitely something I needed in my life. Plus, being able to fall through the white block in 3D mode and the warp whistle behind the stage exit were great references. I love this game. I'm sad it's almost over.

Beat the game earlier, final boss beat me more times than I'd like because my mistiming at the crucial point three times.

I had so little interest in this game at first, heck I wasn't even intrigued much by Sticker Star in its original PM 3DS reveal where it still looked like an rpg, for whatever reason the paper mario series had sort of dropped off my map
So this game kinda came out of nowhere for me, I just felt the hankering for a solid Nintendo title after this rather barren year for them and I'm glad I invested.

Honestly I like the adventure game angle displayed here more than the RPG stylings, not without its issues but aside from stuff like excessive NPC toad usage the issues are ones I tend to find recurring within the series (battle systems and almost deliberately messing with the player in time wasting fashion).

Dialogue is the best of the Mario RPGs, which is great after recent M&L games felt so flavourless or reliant on repeating silly phrases by boogity.
Also the game had Shyguys out the wazoo and DINO RHINO, DINO FUCKIN' RHINO SON! YEEEEAAAAH!
*ahem*

Soundtrack is pretty killer as well

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does EVERY Paper Mario game have to have some sort of unfun cooking mini-game to it? Granted, got lucky on the first one, but took 3 attempts to do the 2nd one, which was a neat idea, but kind of a pain to fully figure out.

On the stage where you get the 5th star. Should check & see how long I've been playing.

Edit: Oh yeah, how do I get the magnifying glass? I know the Ice Pick won't work (which makes no sense), so do I need to keep playing or is it something I can already get right now?

Keep playing, the game actually tells you when you reach the area that the thing that can deal with the ice block is.

I still call BS on my pizza not being right the first two times.

I beat the game earlier. I kinda felt overpowered since I saved up a lot of things for the final battle. lol

Overall there was some low points for me, but I think the game still came out better than I thought it would have.

The pirate stuff was annoying, having to enter battles to heal if there was no hearts out and about, cooking stuff, going back to the start screen when you die,didn't feel the Koopalings & Bowser were fleshed out enough and I wasn't a huge fan of theater level.

I actually really enjoyed the battle system this time around.I actually didn't avoid most battles like I did in Sticker Star. Very glad they made all the cards the same size so you didn't have to fiddle around to make room for more. I was never a fan of the item storage placement Sticker Star had. The paint increasing as you level up as a good idea as it gave me a reason to battle, although I over did it. lol

Humor was on point most of the time. Music was enjoyable. Really loved the hotel, train, energy plant and the circus . I was very worried about having to use certain things cards for boss fights, but out of all the fights there was one I didn't get beforehand and I liked that you could actually ask the toad in the trash can at the port if you were stuck on what thing you should have. Huey was a bro.

Hardest thing I had trouble on was the cooking stuff . lol I made a silly mistake for the second cooking event, but those toads can fuck off for that pizza. However thank y'all for offering tips for the part I posted in here earlier.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I got amazingly lucky on my first attempt for the first cooking mini-game, but I also cheated & used a timer. Usually, it takes me a couple of attempts thanks to the "COOK IT FOR # SECONDS!" parts, but this time it wasn't as bad. I recall in previous games, it was around 30 seconds, so it was much quicker this time.

Rhanitan

Just finished the game earlier today and loved it. It is prolly my favourite paper mario game. The game has a few annoying parts but they are very small in comparison to the rest of the game which is amazing.

When the game was first shown i was disappointed by all toads but after beating it I came to love how the whole island is filled with toads. The writing for all the characters is great.

Another thing i was disappointing with when the game was first shown that i ended up loving was world map/level select screen.Prism island feels like an organic island instead of a bunch of separate themed worlds. The "levels" feel more like places and those places connect to each other in ways that makes sense. In the end i realised the world map is just like fast travelling in an open world game and helps reduce all the backtracking.

The battle system is a lot more refined and balanced then sticker star. It starts out easy during the first half of the game and I racked up a lot of money that felt excessive but then the battles got more complex and required much more specific cards to take on certain enemies. Suddenly i found myself using the shop a lot to buy the cards i wanted and ran out of money in the last chapter of the game. I also used the battle spinner a lot near the end which never happened in sticker star. If you did the rock paper scissors mini games you would have a lot more money than I did though.I died about 3 times in battle with many close calls where if I hadn't blocked i would have died. I have only died once or twice in the rest of the paper mario franchise so i wouldn't say this game is too easy.

I tried not to be a completionist about the game and i think it payed off as some of the colourless spots are really hard to find and going through the stages multiple times trying to find them and racking up tons of money and coins would have slowed the pace down a lot and made me continue to feel overpower in the second half of the game.

1upsuper

I finished the game myself a little while ago. This is a wonderful game. A flawed masterpiece. There were some questionable mechanics here and there and two levels that were serious stinkers but the rest was full of genius and creative, fun writing. This is honestly the pinnacle of writing in Mario games. I smiled and laughed frequently, and I even got sad once or twice. The battle system was good once I got into the mindset of it being an efficiency puzzle game. Plus, waiting for the enemies to give a snappy one liner or lament their position was great. I'm definitely a stop-and-smell-the-roses person. I wouldn't move onto the next level until I cleared the last 100% and I'm really glad I took the time to do everything. I thought the white sports were a fun "collectible" and facilitated a careful looking and appreciation of everything going on, every detail in each level. I finished the game with all 6 plaza banners waving proudly (Roshambo me irl. No one beats me cuz I'm the wiz), and after a couple minutes I had all the Things and weapon cards turned in.

Now I just have a couple more things for pure 100%: 600 paint max (probably not gonna happen unless I read about some quick method), 32 more enemy cards (I'll do it), and
lighting the ship's banners below deck by 100% perfecting the two minigames, the target and coin ones. Ugh. I'll do it for you though, Paper Mario.

This game is now my third favorite Paper Mario, which is no easy feat because I loved Super Paper Mario. The first two are still at the top, but they're my favorite games of all time basically. I knew their positions were safe. I really hope Japanese sales turn around because I would love a new PM every few years if they can consistently match this level of quality, though I know a whole lot is thanks to the brilliant localization. I also didn't end up minding the lack of visual variation in the toads. They all had such personality and cute dialogue. They were characterized well and often had their own charming mini arcs. More ladies in the next PM would be good though. Very few here. Huey was also surprisingly awesome. I started consulting him on every screen just to wring out (geddit?) every last drop of dialogue, Goombario style. He's not on the Goomba partners' level, but he's no verbal slouch. And I love his little rattling he does.

Now I'm rambling. But this game is truly great. It's full of that Nintendo magic and it's a fitting swan song for the Wii U. It was also a pleasant reminder why I have spent so many years of my life adventuring with our plucky plumber friend. Pure fun with lots of smiles. Here's to many more, Mario. See you again once things Switch around.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
These insta-death sequences are awful. Just put me back a few feet away from where the scene starts, not the damn title screen. This one is even more tedious because it wasn't near a save block like the previous sequence.

I wish I could find this
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
cameo neat, but I'm just annoyed at having to redo this part again.

Edit: Okay, the auto-targeting is becoming an huge issue with enemies that can "hide", but the game still treats it like you can still attack them. Even worse is when they're right up in the front, meaning you HAVE to attack them first unless you have an multi-attack weapon like a fire flower or POW block. Pretty sure the game will just be like "NOPE, YOUR TURN'S DONE, TIME TO THROW YOUR OTHER CARDS AWAY" if you try to use a card that you don't want, i.e. a weak jump/hammer, & then cards that you DO want to use to attack the other enemies that're in the area.

Doorman

Finally beat the game myself a short while ago, after having failed on the last boss two nights ago. I'm having a little difficulty forming my full opinion on the game, though, as the experience seems to be kind of a bipolar one. So, so many high points that are constantly broken up by bizarre, frustrating interruptions. It may be the best game in the series when it's at its best, but patience and good attention for detail are basically a requirement to get there.

I think the best way I can sum it up is with a thought I had last night: that with Color Splash, Intelligent Systems showed off an ability to craft some really varied and entertaining scenarios and challenge-ideas, but struggle to actually execute those challenges in a way that feel satisfying to overcome and not overly-frustrating to fail. They don't seem to value the player's time and comfort level as much as they should. This is really evident with stuff like getting booted to the main menu upon game over, rather than providing a faster "continue" option, and the way several level-scenarios play out. One such example of this being (on the way to the 5th big paint star)
the steak-cooking event. There is almost literally no way to prepare it the right way the first time around because of how specific the preparation needs to be, and you don't receive any of the information of how to do it right until you've already failed once.
The boss fights drop hints beforehand about what's needed, but you don't get that same benefit here for whatever reason, and it needlessly lengthens the level. And there winds up being a lot of "well that didn't need to take so long" throughout the game. I suppose they really wanted people learning from their mistakes to be a theme of how to puzzle-solve, but near-forcing people to make those mistakes in the first place gets tiresome.

I've been enjoying watching other people play through the game, too, not just because it's fun to see reactions to some of the game's more extreme moments but also to get a sense of how other people's minds function while playing. It becomes especially apparent how crucial it is to be observant of the game's environment, and paying attention to much of the dialog. I can't really think of any times where I felt legitimately lost on what to do or where to go for longer than a minute or two, but I've noticed other people struggle. I'm not sure how they could really change that without making the game way too hand-holdy, though.

All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with the way the game works out. I like the use of Things in puzzle solving, but at this point I think I'd rather they be used primarily for that, and not try to rely on them for boss-fights like what's contained here. This shows me, at the very least, that Sticker Star's framework CAN work, as long as it's given the room to stretch its creative legs.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Green Energy Plant is easily the best level in the game. Not to mention
it actually made some good use of the 3D mechanic from Super Paper Mario. Plus finding the recorder via the white block was super cool. Not to mention using it plays the same tune, & the manual says to mash the buttons to increase its attack.

this game really does just feel like an improved sticker star with a slightly worse battle system

at least they made the battles matter this time though

cyba89

That
Toad Ghost Hotel
level was really good. Best in the game so far. And that
Birdo
performance in the level after that. :D

The battles don't really get any better or more challenging. They are just getting tedious. I'm mostly playing it for the great writing and the adventure-like parts (
Hotel
level). Those are fun. I wish the whole game was like that. Just drop the whole RPG-lite mechanics if you don't bother to put some real RPG elements into the game.

(And those insta-death sections throwing you back at the title screen are mighty annoying)

1upsuper

I finished up my museum and got all the targets and coins in the ship level. Aside from maxing my paint levels I think I've done everything there is to do in the game. I might come back for the paint grinding down the road but for now I'm content. Really enjoyed the game a lot.

ymgve

Is there any bonus to 100%ing the game?
When getting the green big star it went off to the east of the map and did...something. Is that related to the 100%?

eXistor

Finished it a few days ago. Some minor issues aside, I adore the game. Most of my praise would go to the fact that it's a 30 hour game that's fun for 30 hours. It's consistently throwing new and different situations at you, you never quite know what you're gonna get and for the most part it's all good. It's utterly charming and funny throughout, the battle system is pretty fun and mostly not an issue, except for some spots.

Honestly the only things I didn't like were fairly minor, like the Kamek battles being boring and unneccesary. The Color Bandit being broken and, again, completely unnessecary. He once spawned right near a place he was gonna drain of color and I was all the way on the other side of the map with absolutely no time to get there. He of course drained the entire level of color and I could essentially play the entire level again if I cared about such things (Thankfully I don't, but it was still shit design).

Probably my biggest issue is saving. Boss battles especially can be over in a flash and when you die, it's back to the title screen with you, hope you saved! There are also spots where you suddenly get thrown into situations with one-hit kills and when you die, you better have saved recently. I don't mind dying over something unexpected, but just put me back before the event or put me outside of a boss battle and allow me to go back and prepare better for it.

Overall though, this is a near classic in my eyes. The few downsides do little to sour the experience for me and what we're left is a completely engrossing adventure. Easily one of the best Paper Mario games so far.

The gimmick of Mondo Woods was so well done. Château Chanterelle is mad chill.

Out of town for the weekend, wish I had a Switch with this game.

Seems like the copy I held at the library is in transit between branches. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting my hands on it within the next couple of days.

I wish it wasn't so long given that it's a rental and there are so many games to play, but hopefully I'll really get into it.

Top Bottom