• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

paper Mario port to DS in July?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Shy Guys are Satanic. They can go die. I'm replaying Paper Mario on VC, and I forgot how much I hated Shy Guy Toy Land Town Whatever The Fuck.

Oh, and I repeat: Please change the title to say, "Paper Mario (64) DS in July." No more tears.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
SMRPG has, bar none, the worst prerendered graphics ever. People rag incessantly on DKC for its prerendered look, but it's practically a friggin' Pixar movie compared to SMRPG.

Also, Chuck Quizmo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any character in TTYD.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Shig said:
SMRPG has, bar none, the worst prerendered graphics ever. People rag incessantly on DKC for its prerendered look, but it's practically a friggin' Pixar movie compared to SMRPG.

:lol

hadn't ever thought of it that way, but you're pretty spot-on.

This is pretty awesome, maybe. Portable Paper Mario.

However a few things:

1) I'm not sure how a port is going to work. Paper Mario 64 required the Analog Stick pretty heavily. I cannot imagine IntSys making as stupid mistake as EAD did with Super Mario 64 DS.

2) This might be shipped out to a third party, not an IntSys game. This would be bad. Very bad. See reason 1.

3) This might be fake, or a reimagining of PM64 or a completely new game. When things come through RuliWeb, they tend to get a little frazzled thanks to the internet version of Telephone.

donny2112

nincompoop said:
Meh, if I wanted to play it portably I'd rather play it on the PSP so the screen resolution wouldn't have to be compromised. I'm not really in the business of buying downgraded versions of games I already own. Too bad the PSP N64 emulator guy seems to have given up, PM actually runs at a pretty decent speed on the PSP but it crashes randomly every few minutes or so.

ARRRggghhhh!

bumpkin said:
It's a good game, and besides, at least the DS didn't become a dumping ground for N64 ports.

There's still time. Ocarina of Time with touch-screen mini-games: Feed the cucco, Rock-Paper-Scissors with Ganon. Rumble pack for the Stone of Agony. Star Fox 64 DS with the ability to call in reinforcements with the mic.

Sounds good to me.

They need to release the BSatelliteview games, too.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Dragona Akehi said:
This is pretty awesome, maybe. Portable Paper Mario.

However a few things:

1) I'm not sure how a port is going to work. Paper Mario 64 required the Analog Stick pretty heavily. I cannot imagine IntSys making as stupid mistake as EAD did with Super Mario 64 DS.

I can't recall the analog nature of the stick ever being that critical to gameplay though. It's not like you ever had to feather the stick in combat to pull off the moves(I don't think?), "hold left until the bar hits the red zone for max damage"...nothing the d-pad can't compensate for.

Any examples I am not recalling?

donny2112 said:
ARRRggghhhh!

Someone needs to let this fellow know that Paper Mario, as with most N64 games were 320X240, and most of the time, not even that.

Brandon F said:
I can't recall the analog nature of the stick ever being that critical to gameplay though. It's not like you ever had to feather the stick in combat to pull off the moves(I don't think?), "hold left until the bar hits the red zone for max damage"...nothing the d-pad can't compensate for.

Any examples I am not recalling?

Kooper's shell, Hammer moves, etc etc etc. Digital Inputs don't really suffice, as my experiments with emulation and Paper Mario proved to me...

Brandon F

Dragona Akehi said:
Kooper's shell, Hammer moves, etc etc etc. Digital Inputs don't really suffice, as my experiments with emulation and Paper Mario proved to me...

I don't really recall how those worked I suppose. If anything the design can be retooled to offer similar results with d-pad functionality. Something along the lines of how Superstar Saga and the DS sequel pulled off similar battle concepts.

Tobor

Well, now I'm glad I held out on the VC version. I haven't played the original since it's release.

If it's a new game, or a remake adding DS specific functionality, that would be even better.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
beelzebozo said:
:lol

hadn't ever thought of it that way, but you're pretty spot-on.
H-he's right!

95n7ur.png
2rctzf5.png

2euj1qs.png
28u72ph.png

2m4efj4.png
rumg3q.png

2wnp6bn.png
2dk0p34.png

prvck.png
2rm6nup.png

Brandon F

Amazed people are just figuring out now that SMRPG was an UGLY game. Back in the mid-90's you didn't even need DKC to compare it too...just look at Chrono Trigger and hell...any other Squaresoft release. Some of the worst art ever to grace anything Mario related(though Sunshine may have it beat now), and the limited color pallette of the SNES(256 on-screen) really dug into the pre-rendered backdrops. This is also noticeable on certain DKC stages as well though, lots of muted sections where there isn't enough gradiation to detail the three-dee ness.

Brandon F said:
Amazed people are just figuring out now that SMRPG was an UGLY game. Back in the mid-90's you didn't even need DKC to compare it too...just look at Chrono Trigger and hell...any other Squaresoft release. Some of the worst art ever to grace anything Mario related(though Sunshine may have it beat now), and the limited color pallette of the SNES(256 on-screen) really dug into the pre-rendered backdrops. This is also noticeable on certain DKC stages as well though, lots of muted sections where there isn't enough gradiation to detail the three-dee ness.

Oh trust me Folken, it was worse than you think. I was all excited when I saw what would become Paper Mario on 64 with its awesome art direction and all the places I went were crying that it "looked shitty and kiddy" compared to the "mat00r and awesome looking CG" of SMRPG.

In essence: the vast majority of people have no taste.

bounchfx

if this is true I'm all over it.

Sure I bought the VC one, but hell.. that's not portable and I only put like an hour into it.

would beat this.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Portable Paper Mario: :D

Port of Paper Mario 64: :\

People saying "Wish it was that lame-ass Super Mario RPG shit instead!": :mad:

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I was kinda hoping for a new title, but I'm a-okay with a port of Paper Mario. I didn't buy the VC version, and I always welcome more portable RPGs.

jarrod

Banned
I'm in either way. If it's a port, no doubt it'll have some good extra content and tweaked visuals/audio (a la Mario 64 DS) or if it's a new game, even better.

Brandon F

Dragona Akehi said:
Oh trust me Folken, it was worse than you think. I was all excited when I saw what would become Paper Mario on 64 with its awesome art direction and all the places I went were crying that it "looked shitty and kiddy" compared to the "mat00r and awesome looking CG" of SMRPG.

In essence: the vast majority of people have no taste.

I sort of do want to replay it though, I only went through it the one-time when it released. Couldn't stand the look of the game and the new shitty friends. Had this lingering bias against it the whole time through, but I barely recall much of the game proper and I'd be interested to see how I would view it now.

Probably still sucks.

I really hope this isn't a remake. Considering the DS just can't match the VC version graphically I would rather IntSys develop an all-new game.

jarrod

Banned
evilromero said:
I really hope this isn't a remake. Considering the DS just can't match the VC version graphically I would rather IntSys develop an all-new game.
Mario 64 held up pretty well imo, I don't see why Paper Mario wouldn't?

Saitou

Banned
I played the original Paper Mario so much, I wore the battery down.

This game needs to be severely improved and expanded for me to consider purchase.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
evilromero said:
Why do you say that? Chocobo Tales employed a very similar 2D/3D storybook style on the DS, and it looked great.

Dragona Akehi said:
Someone needs to let this fellow know that Paper Mario, as with most N64 games were 320X240, and most of the time, not even that.
You talking about me? Then someone should let you know that the DS screen resolution is only 256x192. You'd only be getting 64% of the pixels from the N64 version.

jarrod

Banned
Wait, if was being announced in Corocoro wouldn't it be called "Mario Story DS"? Maybe it's really not a port after all... the only Mario RPGs to have "Paper" in the title in Japan were Paper Mario Story (ie:TTYD) and Super Paper Mario iirc.

Shig said:
Why do you say that? Chocobo Tales employed a very similar 2D/3D storybook style on the DS, and it looked great.
I think it could look good, but like Mario DS it would be missing the sharpness of the N64 version (not to mention the quirky visual tearing and shimmers). I think it could work if they redesign the paper look and the environments to make better use of the DS hardware limitations.

evilromero said:

The DS can do better graphics then the N64.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I thought SMRPG was pretty :\

But then again, I still think DKC looks good and DKC2 looks amazing.

Sweet. I'm excited at least since I've only played the GC Paper Mario. I was waiting till I got a Wii to play it on VC but I guess I'll wait for the DS version. Although a totally original Paper Mario for the DS would have been better.

jts

...hate me...
Awesome.

I bought it for the VC, but maybe in the DS i'll actually play the game.

edit: but i'd rather have a SMRPG port.

jarrod

Banned
Yeah, DS is a far more capable 3D system than N64. More geometry, more RAM, larger texture size, hardwired effects like cellshading... the only thing N64 really has over it is texture filtering, and that's somewhat compesated for by the smaller DS screens covering defects to a degree. DS is probably the best balanced 3D hardware out of it's comparable hardware generation (ie: N64, PS1, SS, 3DO, NGage, etc).

More capable 2D and audio as well, nevermind the additional media storage it affords (4MB to 32MB N64 vs 8MB to 256MB DS). Paper Mario would be a relatively painless conversion I think, and could look quite a bit better even with higher quality textures.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
That reminds me, what's up with N64 games that don't filter every texture? I've noticed it on the VC, where the higher resolution makes it easier to spot.

It's in S&P (certain windows and screens, other miscellaneous background elements)... and in Paper Mario (I've noticed it on the ground of the battle screen and the water in the Toad Town sewers).

MisterHero

Crushed said:
H-he's right!
But but SMRPG's minecart had Mode-7!

Also, I liked SMRPG's graphics, and as much as I like Paper Mario's visual style, I see Mario&Luigi's artstyle like a fusion of the two and prefer that one a little bit more.

Anyways this is good news for me. I haven't played PM64 yet, and havent' downloaded the VC version.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dragona Akehi said:
2) This might be shipped out to a third party, not an IntSys game. This would be bad. Very bad.

No it wouldn't, let IS make new games (or at least remakes a la FE DS) and leave this port job to another dev team.

New games are ALWAYS a better choice to put your 1st rate developes on rather than port jobs, I'd rather play a potentially good new game then replay a very good one for the nth time.

I'm bitter 'cause I've just bought the fucking VC release too

grandjedi6 said:
Yeah wait a minute, How does Nintendo expect anyone to by this port with the game on VC for only $10?
Portability. Millions of people who have a DS but not a Wii. Millions of people who have a DS and Wii but don't do online. Added features.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dash Kappei said:
No it wouldn't, let IS make new games (or at least remakes a la FE DS) and leave this port job to another dev team.

New games are ALWAYS a better choice to put your 1st rate developes on rather than port jobs, I'd rather play a potentially good new game then replay a very good one for the nth time.

Yes it would cause then you run a greater risk of screw it up. Besides, We just got a new PM. This probably isnt taking assets away from a new one

ethelred

HK-47 said:
Yes it would cause then you run a greater risk of screw it up. Besides, We just got a new PM. This probably isnt taking assets away from a new one

I'd rather play a new game than a port.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
This might be shipped out to a third party, not an IntSys game. This would be bad. Very bad.

It's by Intelligent Systems no doubt. Maybe if it had a Pokemon make-over it could have been NST.

No it wouldn't, let IS make new games (or at least remakes a la FE DS) and leave this port job to another dev team

Intelligent Systems is a small development company. Most of their projects thrive off of using re-existing engines cutting legwork and allowing them to use small staffs. Sevel of their "games" are cooperations with others as well.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Kodiak said:
why would they port paper mario when they already have the established Mario and Luigi franchise?
Why would they not want as many people as possible to play one of their best games? Especially considering how late it hit on N64 and how many people missed it (such people should be bowing their heads in shame, btw). Like Joshua said, a game existing on VC shouldn't be a dealbreaker for bringing it to another system, many more people own a DS than own a Wii, and only a small fraction of those that own a Wii actually take it online anyway.

Besides, with Paper Mario in the DS slot and Superstar Saga in the GBA one, your DS would pretty much become the ultimate being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom