• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper and Gitaroo Man creators announce Project Rap Rabbit

Magnet

Neo Member
Gitaroo man shits all over parappa

Kind of a pointless thing to say. PaRappa was a pioneer of rhythm games and Gitaroo Man came out 5 years later. Of course you'd expect the latter game to have progressed the genre and created a better game. I don't think that takes anything away from PaRappa.

Anyway, looking forward to this, assuming it's a PC and/or console project.

ffvorax

Loved Gitaroo Man, not much Parappa, but still it was a really nice rhytm game fot his time...

Curious about this new project.

MrT-Tar

Incredible news. Still need to get round to playing Gitaroo Man, it's sat unplayed in my collection for approaching 3 years now.

I'm not expecting this to be another Guitaroo Man or Ouendan, the market has changed. The funding that Koei or Nintendo put behind Guitaroo Man or Ouendan would be way more than what this game will get, so I'm not expecting lavish 3D visuals or a lavish original live soundtrack.

What I am expecting is something new, something inventive, either in terms of the control input or the style of gameplay. Which is what Guitaroo Man and Ouendan strove to do.

Camjo-Z

Not super into the main character's design but hearing that music snippet leaves no doubt that this will have the same catchy kind of beats as Parappa. GIVE MORE DETAILS PLS

Deft Beck

Not super into the main character's design but hearing that music snippet leaves no doubt that this will have the same catchy kind of beats as Parappa. GIVE MORE DETAILS PLS

It sounds like they might have gotten back the Ouendan sound designer.

Can anyone translate the kanji on the right side of the key visual?

PoshAlligatorRD

Neo Member
It sounds like they might have gotten back the Ouendan sound designer.

Can anyone translate the kanji on the right side of the key visual?

It means something like "King Frog Memory Story", or that's what those kanji mean I think. I'm not good enough to be able to translate it into much meaning. Refers to the big frog guy and his castle, I assume.

I recently played Parappa the Rapper for th first time when the Remastered version released and I feel in love with it. I bought the second one when it was in sale recently and loved that one too.

I'm so looking forward to Project Rap Rabbit now!

Ridley327

So, NanaOn-Sha's tight aesthetic design combined with iNiS's rhythm gameplay prowess in one game? With this looking like a match made in heaven, I would be extraordinarily surprised if this winds up anything less than awesome.

Rojiraan

This is what I call a dream, a real dream. And the art is gorgeous. Wonderful.
Really happy to see that Rap Rabbit is official. I hope (need) to see it on PS4/PC(/Switch ?).

And if they succeed to show a trailer during the Sony E3 conf, this will be majestic.

Deft Beck

It means something like "King Frog Memory Story", or that's what those kanji mean I think. I'm not good enough to be able to translate it into much meaning. Refers to the big frog guy and his castle, I assume.

Perhaps then the story is about the duo at the left rediscovering this frog character's past in lieu of the odd police state they seem to live in (drones, UFOs, etc)?

It could be that this frog king's spirit is like the Master Onion figure.

A lot of NaNaOn-Sha games feature that mentor-mentee relationship (Parappa, Um Jammer Lammy, Major Minor).

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
The songs from Gitaroo Man have been on heavy rotation in my head for the past 15 years or so - so you could say I'm very much excited by this.

Gattsu25

Banned
Big PaRappa fan but... WTF. I NEED THIS.

Yeah, that's exactly why I posted them.

People have reason to be excited for Parappa's developer being involved (both due to how fun it is and its popularity) but the involvement of iNiS was the big news for me as (IMO, of course) Gitaroo Man is the best of the "old guard" of music games.

Guymelef

PlayStation Europe twitter account follows @ProRapRabbit I hope that means this is a console game and not mobile...

Choomp

Banned
Yo shit this is gonna be awesome

That art is so sick.

untitled1o2yc04kjnd.gif

Bosman still crying tears of joy.

I'm happy for Kyle with this one

Shin

Banned
Loving the art, looks like a ronin rabbit of sort.
Getting Samurai Champloo vibes from this, sooo good.

Deft Beck

PlayStation Europe twitter account follows @ProRapRabbit I hope that means this is a console game and not mobile...

Doing some deep diving into the account's followers...

Matthew Pellett is the product manager of PQube, a UK-based games publisher, who has published such games as Fate: EXTELLA and the upcoming Akiba's Beat. They also own and operate the online games retailer Funstock.

Kamipallet, who appears to be the game's character designer, has been reposting a lot of UE4 and Unity stuff on their timeline. A lot of Comiket indie game projects, too; an indie game of theirs appeared at Comiket 91 and they plan on attending BitSummit.

Andy Tsai appears to be a localization manager who works at iNiS.

Keiichi Yano, well, is one of the big heads behind iNiS.

--

If I were to guess, this could be a mid-budget digital title on PS4/PC with a limited console physical release.

EDIT: From a quick look at iNiS' website, they have also been doing UE4 engine tests.

Top Bottom