• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper and Gitaroo Man creators announce Project Rap Rabbit

I loved Gitaroo Man back in the day. I S ranked every song on Master play except Sanbone Trio. Never played Parappa. It just looked too easy to be fun by the time I first saw it. I also don't like the rap theme as much as the more poppy and rock music in Gitaroo Man.
You play level 4 and come back to me

I loved Gitaroo Man back in the day. I S ranked every song on Master play except Sanbone Trio. Never played Parappa. It just looked too easy to be fun by the time I first saw it. I also don't like the rap theme as much as the more poppy and rock music in Gitaroo Man.

Parappa is actually pretty bloody hard. I prefer Lammy and Vib Ribbon myself.

But however you slice it... I am all in for this!

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
You play level 4 and come back to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DngRGTkDKqs

This? Even without the thing where you watch the opponent do it first, I think I could perfect combo this on my first or second try. It's like the first time I played on an original DDR machine. I had already been playing Extreme for so long, it was just underwhelming. None of the songs were challenging. I think it's a problem with a lot of rhythm games outside of the arcade. They just aren't good for veterans of the genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DngRGTkDKqs

This? Even without the thing where you watch the opponent do it first, I think I could perfect combo this on my first or second try. It's like the first time I played on an original DDR machine. I had already been playing Extreme for so long, it was just underwhelming. None of the songs were challenging. I think it's a problem with a lot of rhythm games outside of the arcade. They just aren't good for veterans of the genre.
Too cool for me

cj_iwakura

Sign me up.

And Parappa isn't tough because of the levels themselves, it's because of how obtuse the timing is. Gitaroo Man Expert is one of the most hardcore things ever.

Sign me up.

And Parappa isn't tough because of the levels themselves, it's because of how obtuse the timing is. Gitaroo Man Expert is one of the most hardcore things ever.

I have nightmares about the timing of the triangle button in some of the stages.

I'm super excited for this. an't wait to hear more

Doing some deep diving into the account's followers...

Matthew Pellett is the product manager of PQube, a UK-based games publisher, who has published such games as Fate: EXTELLA and the upcoming Akiba's Beat. They also own and operate the online games retailer Funstock.

Kamipallet, who appears to be the game's character designer, has been reposting a lot of UE4 and Unity stuff on their timeline. A lot of Comiket indie game projects, too; an indie game of theirs appeared at Comiket 91 and they plan on attending BitSummit.

Andy Tsai appears to be a localization manager who works at iNiS.

Keiichi Yano, well, is one of the big heads behind iNiS.

--

If I were to guess, this could be a mid-budget digital title on PS4/PC with a limited console physical release.

EDIT: From a quick look at iNiS' website, they have also been doing UE4 engine tests.

Nice find. That'd explain why the rumour for the game existing was posted on Rice Digital, as PQube seems to owns the website (it was founded by their head of marketing).

All the pieces are in place for this rhythm game to generate a lot of interest - the reveal is debuting on PS Blog, BitSummit is coming up, there's nostalgia for iNiS's older rhythm games...

Anyway, at 3pm I can't wait to see what they've come up with. I'm still sceptical since the market for rhythm games has moved on quite a bit, and I doubt iNiS today, which shifted towards making mobile games like a Plants Vs Zombies rip-off seven years ago, is the same as it was in 2008. But that makes it even more of an exciting unknown, and it's great to have iNiS back.

Info is up:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...s-next-rhythm-action-hero-project-rap-rabbit/

NOT GETTING BEATEN TO THE PUNCH THIS TIME.

It gives me great pleasure to unveil the Kickstarter campaign...

Ugh.

lmao, got my hopes up from the PS Blog link, only to be hit with that kickstarter counter

pacquiao-ko-marquez.gif

Camjo-Z

Some people would view this being a Kickstarter as a downside, but I can't think of anything more appealing than being able to intimately follow the development of a new game by the creator of PaRappa himself. Shut up and take my money!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Rap battles & counter rap battles with expressions are going to be hilariously great. This must happen.
Let's make rhythm-action great again!

Yohane

I don't expect nothing from this game (teaser looks super cheap) but I'd beck only because I love Gitaroo to death

Kneefoil

"(Let's) Make Rhythm-Action Great Again!" is a bad slogan, but maybe it'll get some memers to back the project.

The concept is interesting, what with the raps being actual battles and not just "press these buttons shown on the screen in a rhythm" type of deal. I do wish this game to become a reality, but man, if only we could have a Switch version without needing $4.95m backing.

jonno394

It'll probably hit the main goal. I'd rather the game is budgeted properly and actually gets made then get a shit game with too much feature-Creep to try and make stretch goals more obtainable

I think releases on other platforms being lower stretch goals and switching with other goals would likely drive up the backing moreso than people seeing its 2m/4m stretch for their console and thinking "nah no point"

Shin

Banned
Seems realistic, someone already bought 1 of the most expensive package.
I think this will meet all it's goals, sooo looking forward to gameplay video.

Wasn't expecting a Kickstarter. I wonder whether PQube will be backing it financially outside of distribution and (I assume) marketing.

I'm worried it won't be funded, if only because the Kickstarter specifically mentions the game has 6 levels (not a problem for rhythm game fans, but it will be for the masses), but on the other hand a Kickstarter like this is the best way to make a rhythm game under old console market business models. Which is a good thing.

The Amplitude Kickstarter managed to exceed its original ask of $750,000, it's worth noting, though that was in a different time as far as crowdfunded video games went.

They should have put ports at lower tier. Even Bloodstained, which is available everywhere and I would guess has broader appeal than a rhytmn game, only managed 5.5 million.

Coen

Yeah, that five million stretch goal for a Switch version is a slap in the face. I'm not backing it because of that. I would have if they'd just made it a PS4 exclusive with the possibility of ports afterwards, depending on the commercial success.

Top Bottom