• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper and Gitaroo Man creators announce Project Rap Rabbit

Camjo-Z

Yeah, that five million stretch goal for a Switch version is a slap in the face. I'm not backing it because of that. I would have if they'd just made it a PS4 exclusive with the possibility of ports afterwards, depending on the commercial success.

>won't back it because they gave a realistic estimate of what it would take to make a switch port
>would back it if switch port wasn't a stretch goal at all

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

sn00zer

Yeah, that five million stretch goal for a Switch version is a slap in the face. I'm not backing it because of that. I would have if they'd just made it a PS4 exclusive with the possibility of ports afterwards, depending on the commercial success.
'Slap in the face' for needing to retro fit an entire games worth of assets to a lower spec. A slap in the face..... a slap... in the face.

'Slap in the face' for needing to retro fit an entire games worth of assets to a lower spec. A slap in the face..... a slap... in the face.

Personally the cost estimate isn't even a big deal to me, it's where the goal is in the priority list. I wish I could put money specifically towards funding the version that is relevant to me. I'm not going to spend money on a version that would probably sit in my backlog due to the lack of portability.

My biggest concern is that it's only six levels. I know that's comparable to the Parappa series, and Gitaroo-Man wasn't much more, but I feel that with the direction games have gone, especially within the genre, they won't get many people willing to help fund at the entry level, ~$40, for a game with six levels.

At this point I'll remain hesitant and hopefully they'll be able to put out something that gives me more confidence it'll be worth it before the Kickstarter is over. I'm not completely against Kickstarter but $40 is more than I'd usually chip in for something that leaves me this uncertain.

Just saw the Kickstarter campaign. Why are people bummed this is on KS? The project probably wouldn't exist at all of not for crowdfunding options.

Kind of a bummer Switch version is locked so far behind the highest stretch goal, but I'd be ecstatic if at the very least, the basic game is made without the extra bells and whistles on PS4 and PC.

Just saw the Kickstarter campaign. Why are people bummed this is on KS? The project probably wouldn't exist at all of not for crowdfunding options.

Kind of a bummer Switch version is locked so far behind the highest stretch goal, but I'd be ecstatic if at the very least, the basic game is made without the extra bells and whistles on PS4 and PC.

Because they want it to exist without the crowdfunding. Obviously that's not possible but yeah, it's not exactly like the really big KS projects panned out that well generally. Although I guess Yooka Laylee got a pretty mixed reception at least, so it's not all bad.

Also gonna hazard a guess that they woulda been waaaay better off switching those Xbox One and Nintendo Switch support levels around.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Why is this a KS project? Sony should've just funded it outright! Except they didn't cause they don't think it's gonna sell gang busters. That much should be obvious to those complaining about it being a KS project but isn't apparently.

Osukaa

Come on Sony help fund this game! Its weird that these 2 creators who I associate with the Playstation brand couldn't get at least a bit of support from them (maybe im missing something). I'm a huge Sony fan but I can't back Sony on letting this game slip through the cracks. I'll be backing this game to support the creators, just wish Sony would meet us halfway at least. I'd love to even see the Rabbit take on a Mascot approach as I love the design of these characters.

Use some of that PS4 War Chest money Sony

Ridley327

Why is this a KS project? Sony should've just funded it outright! Except they didn't cause they don't think it's gonna sell gang busters. That much should be obvious to those complaining about it being a KS project but isn't apparently.

I would assume that both NanaOn-Sha and iNiS would rather co-own the IP than to hand it over to Sony. Plus, there's the whole matter of getting Sony to fund it in the first place, when this really doesn't seem like it's in their current wheelhouse.

Because they want it to exist without the crowdfunding. Obviously that's not possible but yeah, it's not exactly like the really big KS projects panned out that well generally. Although I guess Yooka Laylee got a pretty mixed reception at least, so it's not all bad.

Also gonna hazard a guess that they woulda been waaaay better off switching those Xbox One and Nintendo Switch support levels around.
Porting a game to the Xbox One from PS4 is way easier than PS4 to the Switch.

Also helps that I'd be the platform I'd be getting it on. Hope it meets the Xbone stretch goal!

Somebody up there heard me, I've been asking for something like this for forever now. Definitely backing this!!

Their goals are high, but the fact that they seem more realistic gives me hope for this

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I would assume that both NanaOn-Sha and iNiS would rather co-own the IP than to hand it over to Sony. Plus, there's the whole matter of getting Sony to fund it in the first place, when this really doesn't seem like it's in their current wheelhouse.
Excellent point. We can never know all the juicy details involved in these pitch meetings but it's sure fun to speculate.

C_n5XhgVoAAe7id.jpg

Gematsu
Well I fucking need a poster of THAT.

Steiner

Banned
I was a bit cross to see that the Nintendo Switch version is locked behind a stretch goal 4X larger than the base goal for the game, but I decided to back it anyway.

In the end, it's the game I believe in and it's the game I want to play, no matter which platform it's on. I have a PC, and I have a PS4, so I figured I'd show my support. Who knows, maybe we'll be surprised and it'll end up on the Switch after all?

All I know is that my $35-ish contribution grants me a copy of this game when it comes out, and that's all I need to know. I hope it turns out so well, and I wish the developers and everyone involved incredible creative inspiration and expression! Let's see another innovative rhythm series!

Harusame

Depending on how the Kickstarter campaign goes, I might back this project nearer to the end. The goal for a Switch version is quite a bit of a stretch, but hopefully there is enough demand later on even if it does not meet the stretch goal. Will keep an eye on the campaign to assess the overall demand.

Looks like a cross between PaRappa and Spirited Away.

Please let there be a rap song by Kenji Niinuma.

Surprised at XBone as a stretch goal considering the minuscule ownership in Japan. Maybe they're targeting this at a western audience, was PaRappa popular in Japan?

There are plenty of high profile Kickstarters who's final products have been satisfactory. It's just that most of them exist on the PC.

I think releases on other platforms being lower stretch goals and switching with other goals would likely drive up the backing moreso than people seeing its 2m/4m stretch for their console and thinking "nah no point"

See there.

specdot

It's like a behind the scenes of the soundtrack to samurai champloo. No? Kinda reaching there huh. lol. Anyway forget a Switch version, a cool 3 mil for an Xbone version is lol worthy. I do think it'll reach its goal though.

Maxinas

Couldn't care less who the developers are, not backing another kickstarter ever again. I've learned my lesson the hard way.

There are plenty of high profile Kickstarters who's final products have been satisfactory. It's just that most of them exist on the PC.

Have there been a lot of PC games that went into that 1 million dollars + weight class like MN9, Yooka Laylee and this (wants to be) then? I don't particularly remember them, but if so I guess I was wrong then.

Top Bottom