• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

Burt

Added a new Keystone Passive - Zealot's Oath: Life regeneration applies to energy shield instead of life.

Chaos Inoculation now grants no additional energy shield bonus. Its complete immunity to chaos damage, synergy with Blood Rage and other skill combos are deemed sufficient upside to counteract the life penalty.

Added some chaos resistance nodes to the passive skill tree.
Early projectile damage passives on Ranger area of tree improved to 8%.
Energy Shield nodes have been increased.

Discipline: Mana cost increased by 40. Energy Shield granted significantly reduced.

God dammit my Shadow archer build just got fucked. Also, Zealot's Oath could be pretty badass on a templar.

Card Boy

Banned
Depends on where Zealot's Oath is on the tree to make up for that Chaos Inoculation nerf. Hopefully it is on the Shadow/Witch side.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thankfully, I already noted most of these changes a couple of weeks ago.

Still, there are some interesting changes there.

EXCITED.

Perkel

Banned
Depends on where Zealot's Oath is on the tree to make up for that Chaos Inoculation nerf. Hopefully it is on the Shadow/Witch side.

Chaos In is nerfed but they added bunch of nodes near it with things like +40% shield. So it is half nerf.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Flat armour mods on individual pieces have been changed to be as good as flat evasion mods.

WOW!! About time!

Burt

Flat armour mods on individual pieces have been changed to be as good as flat evasion mods.

WOW!! About time!

Eh, it seems to me that this is the kind of thing that sounds fair on paper, but isn't in practice. Considering the ridiculous spike damage you receive when focusing on evasion, especially since the classes that focus on evasion aren't huge on health, evasion mods need to be better than armor ones to be even remotely attractive. It doesn't matter if the damage received between armor and evasion equals out after 100 hits if the evasion guy dies after only dodging 8 of the first ten. Granted, we'd have to see numbers first before coming to any sort of conclusion.

Volodja

Eh, it seems to me that this is the kind of thing that sounds fair on paper, but isn't in practice. Considering the ridiculous spike damage you receive when focusing on evasion, especially since the classes that focus on evasion aren't huge on health, evasion mods need to be better than armor ones to be even remotely attractive. It doesn't matter if the damage received between armor and evasion equals out after 100 hits if the evasion guy dies after only dodging 8 of the first ten. Granted, we'd have to see numbers first before coming to any sort of conclusion.
You have to consider the bonus to evasion given by dextery as well.
That said, I switched my ranger out of Evasion as soon as I could with Iron Reflexes because of that very reason, you need just 1 bad hit to go through your evasion and you are in pretty bad shape.

Burt

You have to consider the bonus to evasion given by dextery as well.
That said, I switched my ranger out of Evasion as soon as I could with Iron Reflexes because of that very reason, you need just 1 bad hit to go through your evasion and you are in pretty bad shape.

Between armor getting a buff and CI getting a nerf, I think I might drop my Shadow for a ranger and do the same.

Perkel

Banned
This is kinda the reason I want to wait until the game is out of beta before playing.

Out of Beta won't mean they will stop changing things. They said they will change things monthly even after OB ends.

That's pretty much bullshit.

Evasion malee fighter need HP. End of story. If you die because you lack HP then consider investing passives into life instead of damage.
Evasion is way better than armor on boss fights or very strong hitting mobs but it is worse when you fight group of mobs.
Evasion grants you additional roll on crit. So you have 2x chance to evade crit.

Difference between evasion and armor is that armor is vastly better when you deal with group of mobs and evasion is vastly better when you deal with bosses or elite mobs.

Armor on bosses especially when they crit is worthless. And with evasion and block you can evade and block most of attacks.

I actually love what they did with their evade, dodge, block, armor, ES systems. Each of them is vastly different and with it you need to change how you play.

Yoshichan

Aaaaand I'm off. Peace!

syko de4d

So how does life reg on Es work?

If i have 10% life Reg, 3.000Hp and 500ES how many ES i get per second?

Is it 300/sec (based on my life) or 50/sec (based on my es)

Would be cool if it based on life, could make "more melee damage on full life" and other full life stuff better.
You get life reg from life leech and your ES regs instantly and the most of the time you are at full life.

Perkel

Banned
So how does life reg on Es work?

If i have 10% life Reg, 3.000Hp and 500ES how many ES i get per second?

Is it 300/sec (based on my life) or 50/sec (based on my es)

Would be cool if it based on life, could make "more melee damage on full life" and other full life stuff better.
You get life reg from life leech and your ES regs instantly and the most of the time you are at full life.

As it says. Changes life regeneration to shield regeneration. 10% from ES not HP

Is the Marauder a good class for a newb who wants to play solo?

Yes. Maruder is most simple but every class is good for newb.

CTLance

A Gaffer can go ahead and get some precious closed beta minutes out of this key since my friend kinda dropped off the face of the earth. His loss, I suppose. (Quote me)

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I wanted this game to suck. Hell, I needed this game to suck. I just don't have the time.

But damn, my wife is going to kill me. The game is really good. It really does have that old-school Diablo 2 feel to it. Things just feel so different after grinding D3.

I'm debating if I should finish leveling to 100 or just go balls-to-the-walls in PoE. Bahhhhhhh.

Vodh

PoE Patchnotes said:
Phase Run: Has been retired to the plane of elemental fire to be reforged anew.

Well, shit. What am I supposed to use to improve this insufferably slow movement speed in the early stages of the game? And don't even tell me sacrificing a flask slot is a good alternative.

JWong

Banned
Something happening to Lightning Strike? I heard Kripp say something, or I might've missed it for Lightning Arrow. However, he mentioned it won't hit in melee or something and won't be in this patch...

Edit: Checked the forum. Looks like Lightning Strike is getting a fix. The lightning won't hit the melee target... something like that.

I've made a basic Google doc for the POEGAF community for people to add their NeoGAF/PoE usernames to. Open and edit it here. It has also been added as its own section in the OP.

Anything else worth adding as columns? In-game character names and classes maybe?

JWong

Banned
Alright. Reserved all my names.

aBgjT2N.jpg

Something happening to Lightning Strike? I heard Kripp say something, or I might've missed it for Lightning Arrow. However, he mentioned it won't hit in melee or something and won't be in this patch...

Edit: Checked the forum. Looks like Lightning Strike is getting a fix. The lightning won't hit the melee target... something like that.

The melee hit would hit and 1 of the projectiles would hit the melee target too. So it basically hit twice. Now the melee hit is the only one that hits the melee target.

Chris Wilaon said:
UPDATE: Due to extensive feedback in this thread, we have changed the implementation so that effects can be reclaimed at no cost. Microtransaction effects can be freely moved between items. This will affect their initial pricing somewhat, but we'll investigate adding cheaper one-use "demo" versions of them in the near future.

Good to hear. I don't mind paying more to be able to indefinitely reuse a microtransaction effect.

Wallach

Does a paladin build work? :D

I'm not really sure what a Paladin would look like in this game. That said starting Templar would probably cover whatever your vision of that would be in PoE terms, and they have such a good starting place in the tree that even if you wind up doing something different you'll be just fine.

Ah figured. So got the client installed and there are three realms, is it region locked or can I play on all of them? Which realm does Gaf play on?

Going for a Witch for my first character, seems like a mage/necromancer hybrid of sorts. Always play casters so I guess this is my best choice.

Wallach

Ah figured. So got the client installed and there are three realms, is it region locked or can I play on all of them? Which realm does Gaf play on?

You can play on any realm. You select the region on the login screen just below where you input your password.

Tanky, self healing, auras

When it comes to tanky and auras, the truth is that is something you can accomplish with any class start position. Very much so. Both Marauder and Templar would be great starting positions for more traditional forms of "tank" in the sense of getting a ton of passive mitigation. There are certainly ways to become very tough in any position on the map, and there is definitely some merit to the north end of the tree and Eldritch Battery when it comes to specializing in auras. Note that OB some of the auras became even more expensive in terms of mana reservation so EB gained a bit of power in that direction.

For self-healing, it's a little different, because how you heal is going to be hinged on how you are defensive. In an INT-based defensive setup where you might focus on Energy Shield, you can't heal from flasks at all. When you're in the west and southwest areas of the tree, you're focusing on leech and life regen (both of which are very powerful). The southeast and eastern areas of the tree don't have a lot of healing boosts outside of improving gains from flasks. Personally, I think the strongest form of self-healing is going to lead to towards the west and southwest areas which is a lot easier to intuit than building defensively in the north of the tree.

Either Marauder or Templar are probably going to be your best bets for a starting position, and between those it will just depend on what you'd like to build around for offense.

Lingitiz

I'm pretty excited for tomorrow. I've been playing the last week or so, but could never really devote too much time since the wipe was so soon. I think it was enough to get a feel for the progression of my character and how everything seemed to get better over time. I definitely encourage everyone to stick with it a bit if it doesn't grab you right away.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah, the characters are realm locked. I suspect though that you'll have a lot of GAF on both the NA and EU realms.
I can login to my European characters even when choosing the Singaporean server. In what way are they locked?

Wallach

I can login to my European characters even when choosing the Singaporean server. In what way are they locked?

Actually it seems that you're right. Other than PvP, you're able to play your characters through any gateway. It's only in PvP where you won't connect with players playing through other gateway servers.

Top Bottom