• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Dahbomb

Can anyone recommend a good, up to date, video for tips and general guidance?

So many videos I've found are either build specific, 3.0 change breakdown, or out of date POE guides.

I haven't played in so long that I'm lost on many mechanics and endgame content. What would be great is a single video that breaks down:

-early game / leveling
-basic and advanced mechanics
-gear management / crafting
-currency tips
-end game content

Obviously that's a significant amount of material to cover but trying to que up 10 different videos of widely varying quality sucks!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaFHfrY-6uGSAvmczp_7a6Q/videos

This is probably the best guide series. There's no one video someone can make that will cover all the things in PoE anyway.

A bunch of new currencies datamined in the recent beta wave patch.
GHF2Y4R.png

I wonder if they are going to introduce them all right away.

It seems like a way to help the SSF community and Xbox economy assuming that trading is going to be incredibly difficult to achieve on xbox. That's a ton of items that will improve crafting.

I'm intrigued by them.

Hmm! I like the sound of that league. New mobs to kill + sounds like there is a trick to the Harbinger mob for unique rewards.

Edit--
I also like the new currency shards for rarer currencies. Less randomness for them is always nice.

Edit2--
So. Uhhh. Huh?
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1927472/page/8#p14637825

I'm really confused by this chill/shock change. You need to deal 50% of mob HP in one hit to get full shock dmg increase, but if you can deal that much in one hit why would you need the shock dmg increase in the first place?

Rufus

Their focus on the Shock mechanics and values themselves is a bit confusing. I also don't think they're actually intending to help 'Shock builds' with this, though it might if you look at the numbers really closely. Let me try and unfurl this (at the danger of confusing things more).

Notice the usual GGG jargon: any time they use "invest", feel free to substitute "restrict access to specialized builds."
Previously, a crit guaranteed ailments like Shock, so any crit build could just add a small amount of lightning damage somewhere to get a 50% increased damage debuff.

Now, instead of guaranteeing "50% increased damage", they guarantee "4 seconds duration". To retain scaling (and a reason to 'invest'), Shock strength directly scales off of the lighting damage you deal in the most straightforward way possible. If shocked, every 1% of lightning damage adds a 1% increased damage debuff to an enemy. Up to the old value of 50%.

They don't want you to min-max for that value, they just need to cap it somehow, because it's exponential damage and because they switched the scaling around. They just re-used the old debuff value as a starting point. If for some reason this turns out to backfire (conversion + overkilling small enemies?), the cap will be the first thing to be adjusted.

Their focus on the Shock mechanics and values themselves is a bit confusing. I also don't think they're actually intending to help 'Shock builds' with this, though it might if you look at the numbers really closely. Let me try and unfurl this (at the danger of confusing things more).

Notice the usual GGG jargon: any time they use "invest", feel free to substitute "restrict access to specialized builds."
Previously, a crit guaranteed ailments like Shock, so any crit build could just add a small amount of lightning damage somewhere to get a 50% increased damage debuff.

Now, instead of guaranteeing "50% increased damage", they guarantee "4 seconds duration". To retain scaling (and a reason to 'invest'), Shock strength directly scales off of the lighting damage you deal in the most straightforward way possible. If shocked, every 1% of lightning damage adds a 1% increased damage debuff to an enemy. Up to the old value of 50%.

They don't want you to min-max for that value, they just need to cap it somehow, because it's exponential damage and because they switched the scaling around. They just re-used the old debuff value as a starting point. If for some reason this turns out to backfire (conversion + overkilling small enemies?), the cap will be the first thing to be adjusted.

It's kind of dumb when you consider there's no point if you get 50% shock when you deal 50% of the monster's life, because a second hit without shock would kill anyway. Also is there shock effectiveness anywhere? (I forgot if they're introducing ailment effectiveness in this) The only way I can see this working is if they introduced alot of it in the tree/gems.

Also the charge change is dumb as hell. So many examples on the passive tree and uniques of it being broken. Even the new trap chest they just revealed gives chance to gain frenzy charges, which would be fine with the old charges but now... it just makes no sense.

If they truly want to stick with this, they'll have to make ALOT of changes. I have a feeing they'll revert this.

Gothos

I'm all for slowing down the meta but yeah, those changes to frenzy charges will require a lot of readjusting. Like A LOT :) We must realize that this league will be test field for all the changes and if they change anything it won't be sooner that somewhere in the middle of the league. Interesting (and bit scary!) times for PoE fans :)

Rufus

It's kind of dumb when you consider there's no point if you get 50% shock when you deal 50% of the monster's life, because a second hit without shock would kill anyway. Also is there shock effectiveness anywhere? (I forgot if they're introducing ailment effectiveness in this) The only way I can see this working is if they introduced alot of it in the tree/gems.
Effectiveness will lower the damage necessary to hit the cap, but we don't know how easily accessible it is or how low this goes. They should have waited on announcing the changes once that was known. (There's is a smaaaaaaall benefit even without, as lightning damage is pretty spiky, but nobody cares about smoothing that out.)

If you do decent lightning damage it should be a no-brainer to get some effectiveness, but then again, nobody gets a 'little' crit, either. All or nothing with these games.

Rufus

Personally I thought Frenzies having a more multiplier was always the silliest way to increase their usefulness. And then they slapped a more modifier on Power charges... Was there really a need to change them?

Personally I thought Frenzies having a more multiplier was always the silliest way to increase their usefulness. And then they slapped a more modifier on Power charges... Was there really a need to change them?

So I think their reasoning is sound. Because to be quite honest, you'd always try to fit frenzies in any build you could. Easiest application was blood rage or on hit passive, so if you could get it, it was free damage.

Having them split the damage between power being spell and frenzy being attack is... fine. I still think it's stupid that frenzies still have cast speed but whatever. It can act like a min max type of thing. (As in, they're not absolutely mandatory for spell builds, but can still help).

But the big thing is still passives and uniques. That new trap chest is an example, plus passives like Master Sapper. This can be extremely confusing for some new players, because if you take that node you'd assume Frenzies would benefit all traps since it's a trap node/cluster with no specific type (doesn't specify attack or spell). Instead it'll only be boosting attack traps.

They're gonna have to comb through alot of items and passives/effects with this change and idk if they have the time to do it.

Rufus

This can be extremely confusing for some new players, because if you take that node you'd assume Frenzies would benefit all traps since it's a trap node/cluster with no specific type (doesn't specify attack or spell). Instead it'll only be boosting attack traps.
Yup. They are making older things less opaque by clarifying, but then they're also introducing new mechanics that aren't explained as well. This might very well fall between the cracks until some random update in the future.

Just my luck. 800 hours played @ Steam PoE (+ at least 50h with other clients) and I finally get "Beginner's Luck" -achievement. ...in beta. At least it wasn't a mirror.

;_;

To be fair I don't spend that much time in the starting zone.

inky

Just my luck. 800 hours played @ Steam PoE (+ at least 50h with other clients) and I finally get "Beginner's Luck" -achievement. ...in beta. At least it wasn't a mirror.

;_;

To be fair I don't spend that much time in the starting zone.

You don't do races a lot, do you? You should, it's fun!

Still viable

-SRS most popular, best summoner for leveling
-Spectres are equally strong if not even stronger, but they are pain in the ass to maintain as spectres still don't survive logouts/disconnects. GGG promised fix for this "eventually".
-Zombies got special stuff recently (threshold jewel + "Baron" unique) but no idea how strong in end game. Can be tried. But zombie AI is dumb.
-Golems are very good, but also VERY expensive requirements to make it work

Still viable

-SRS most popular, best summoner for leveling
-Spectres are equally strong if not even stronger, but they are pain in the ass to maintain as spectres still don't survive logouts/disconnects. GGG promised fix for this "eventually".
-Zombies got special stuff recently (threshold jewel + "Baron" unique) but no idea how strong in end game. Can be tried. But zombie AI is dumb.
-Golems are very good, but also VERY expensive requirements to make it work

I did golems in legacy. Was very expensive to get going thanks to those damn gems. Was 8-10 ex just in jewels alone. Not to mention quality gems and gear. Easily 12-15 ex just to get started.

Kadin

Really not sure what to try for Friday. I've played a lot of the more standard builds like, Pizza Sticks, KotF, Fakener Discharge, Siege Ballista, Dual Fire Totems, BV when it was really popular, a couple diff ED/Con builds and most recently a Magma Orb build. This latter one I've enjoyed and didn't have much of an upfront cost associated with it, but I'd really like to try something unique and different.

Any suggestions looking at what I've played that might be a good next option?

Oh and I don't particularly care for the more squishy builds like KotF was, it had great damage but I was constantly on my life flasks throughout various T12+ maps with 6k life.

Which actually brings up something, I've never done a full solid ES build. I really want to do this but I'm thinking that's a bit later into the League.

squidyj

My debate right now is if I want to run
Scorching Ray (Inquisitor)
Ancestral Warchief (Berserker)
SRS (Necromancer)

I think SRS is not going to happen. too popular and too boring right now.

Dahbomb

Already got my Frost Blade Raider lined up.

I hope the Breach uniques are cheap enough to acquire because I need a couple of them.

Got my Life RF Zerker character all set up in Path of Building.

At level 85 with decent gear and a kaoms heart I have it sitting at 750k dot damage and 9.2k life.

It's really cheap to start out and should take me to guardians and shaper with some investment.

Already got my Frost Blade Raider lined up.

I hope the Breach uniques are cheap enough to acquire because I need a couple of them.

They'll probably be more expensive than in legacy. It was easier to get breaches in unique than it was in beta. Who knows with how they nerf strands and sextant blocking how it'll affect the cost of them. There are sextant mods that add guaranteed breaches.

Both of my items are pretty cheap though so even if they are rarer it won't be by that much.

That's perfect. Luckily the only mandatory unique I have is rise of the Phoenix and that thing is cheap even with beta's insanely inflated prices.

I damn 5L belly of the beast is going for the equivalent of
10-11ex (110c with 11:1 ex:c) on beta. The rise of the Phoenix was only 3c

Dahbomb

10 EX for 5L Belly of the Beast WTF...

I had a perfect life roll Belly of the Beast that I 6 linked myself and sold for a lot of currency and then completed my Cyclone character (complete with nice Dying Sun flask and Steel Rings). I think I ended up selling it for 11 Exalts.

But I am sure with 3.0, all the life based stuff will be worth a lot more. Legacy was all about the ES, now ES is nerfed.

squidyj

surprise, beta economy is a mess. an absolute mess. Don't take prices there as indicative of anything.

The interesting thing about that RF Zerker build is if you pick up the slack and drop in a good 6l chest you can pretty much jsut slot in a full on selfcat scorching ray. I think it can hit 1.5m shaper dps when all my buffs are up. Not a lot of cast speed on it though so your ramp and stick and move with SR isn't as good as it might otherwise be

I'm mostly just looking for a build that will quickly and easily gear into a lab farmer, quick and simple izaro kills with good mobility and REGEN REGEN REGEN for traps.
for those who don't know
1 silver door = 1 izaro treasure
and buffs to all the other lab rewards. as well as darkshrines,

surprise, beta economy is a mess. an absolute mess. Don't take prices there as indicative of anything.

The interesting thing about that RF Zerker build is if you pick up the slack and drop in a good 6l chest you can pretty much jsut slot in a full on selfcat scorching ray. I think it can hit 1.5m shaper dps when all my buffs are up. Not a lot of cast speed on it though so your ramp and stick and move with SR isn't as good as it might otherwise be

I'm mostly just looking for a build that will quickly and easily gear into a lab farmer, quick and simple izaro kills with good mobility and REGEN REGEN REGEN for traps.
for those who don't know
1 silver door = 1 izaro treasure
and buffs to all the other lab rewards. as well as darkshrines,

Yea beta economy is so screwed up. It's insane how bad it is. Xophs blood was 400-600c

I have a 84 Life RF Chieftain with belly in beta. 8.2k life and the damage isn't all that great. Only had one curse so I missed out on ton of damage, Regen was great. Was getting 2.9k/s life Regen. I did quite few Uber runs with it with zero issues though. Would be even easier with a second curse to stack witchfire and flammability. After some Path of Building testing Zerker lost about 900/s Regen but gains that awesome heal every two seconds plus the extra damage. Much superior ascendancy.

With all of the buffs to loot in lab. Uberlab is going to be the biggest money maker this league. I think.

Gothos

Gimme those supporter packs! I got a feeling they will be awesome :) 60$ ready.

Anyway, I'm starting Critt Split Arrow but not sure if Assassin or Raider. New Split Arrow threshold gem looks bonkers :D Oh, and Softcore for start. I finally wanna do some more difficult content (Atziri, Breach bossess, etc.) and on HC it's a no-no :)

Gimme those supporter packs! I got a feeling they will be awesome :) 60$ ready.

Anyway, I'm starting Critt Split Arrow but not sure if Assassin or Raider. New Split Arrow threshold gem looks bonkers :D Oh, and Softcore for start. I finally wanna do some more difficult content (Atziri, Breach bossess, etc.) and on HC it's a no-no :)

I've always been a SC player. I'm way too aggressive and take way too many chances to play HC. The only downside is Ex:Chaos ratios are so much worse on SC than HC. But those new exalt shards hopefully bring the price down of exalts and make it easier for people to craft items.

I'm really excited for that. If it brings down the price of exalts enough I'll start slamming jewels. I couldn't justify it before because exalts were like 115c a piece. Was more economical to just sell 3 mod jewels.

Yeah I'm no good in HC either. I think like this way too often: "Hmm I might have to run. Nah I'm fine" --> dead. I got to maps once, in HC. Losing that char really, really hurt. But last nail in the HC coffin for me was when I lost character in breach league, on merciless. Died in a breach. I noticed I was losing like 10 seconds before dying. Did I run? No. "I'm fine, just tough it out".

HC will be especially RIPpy this time around, with the brand new leveling content like (beta spoiler I guess?)
A8 god of stacking watery freezing balls of death

I'll be trying SSFHC with RF Totems, doesn't need any gear and I never trade a whole lot anyway.

That's a pretty safe build too. SSF could potentially be a lot better too with the new currency shards. Could make it a lot easier to get exalts for slamming and crafting. I can see the SSF stuff becoming more popular this league.

RF totems is pretty safe, too. Solid starter choice.

Kadin

I'll be trying SSFHC with RF Totems, doesn't need any gear and I never trade a whole lot anyway.
I'm not sure if you're following a build or making one on your own, but I just saw this guide and it looks interesting. I've been racking me brain on a league starter and this might be right up my alley as well.

Their leveling section is very detailed so that might be nice for fairly new players too.

Rufus

I've played it once before using Blood Magic (I see the guide covers that variant too), so I know what I'm in for. That's a very comprehensive guide though. Pretty impressive.

One thing that might be more difficult to get in SSF are jewels. Late game, that's the only source of damage. Getting totem life + damage jewels is cheap and easy when you can trade, but I don't know how easily I can expect to find or craft them on my own.

Kadin

I've played it once before using Blood Magic (I see the guide covers that variant too), so I know what I'm in for. That's a very comprehensive guide though. Pretty impressive.

One thing that might be more difficult to get in SSF are jewels. Late game, that's the only source of damage. Getting totem life + damage jewels is cheap and easy when you can trade, but I don't know how easily I can expect to find or craft them on my own.
I've played a couple other dual totem builds like pizza sticks and flame totems, how does this compare if you've played either of those? I've watched their vids and it looks pretty fun although a bit slower than what I'm maybe used to. I don't mind if the pace slows down, but did you find it pretty strong, defense wise or were you somewhat squishy?

Since Kaom's Boots are as is and probably wont change, I'm probably doing either full phys Slayer or Glad with Arctic Armor, Vuln and Enfeeble/punishment/Temp. I've done Jugg eq/sunder every other time so time for a new class I guess

Dunno what skill yet

I havn't played since Vaal spark was flavor of the month. Always wanted to try traps build so I can't wait for the patch to hit to try a Saboteur build, hope it works. I see SSF is a thing now too so that's awesome.

Top Bottom