• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

zon

When it comes to socketing and linking items I must be one of the unluckiest players in poe... just now I had to spend 800 jeweler orbs to six socket one item. :(

When it comes to socketing and linking items I must be one of the unluckiest players in poe... just now I had to spend 800 jeweler orbs to six socket one item. :(

Don't worry it's part of playing this game, sometimes you have good luck sometimes you have bad. Last league it took me over 2,000 fusing to 6 link a Belly of the Beast. This league it only took me 200.

Don't forget everyone who is trying to 6L stuff. Making the item 20q first increases your chances of getting the 6L. I've made that mistake too many times.

Rufus

It's fucking infuriating. I'm shield charging around at 139% ias and usually I've already queued the attack before the reflect mob even comes into frame, and I get to spend that half of a second knowing that I'm going to die even if I mash vinktar's in time because reflect is stupid.
It's fucking me on my Inquisitor right now. I can't push my damage further, but I have to if I want to kill bosses at any decent rate. The only reason I'm still alive is a combination of Yugul's Soul, Sybil's Lament and Ball Lightning's mechanics (a lot of smaller htis).That's why I leveled another character (Slayer Bleed Cyclone), but my carelessness with strongboxes cost him his life. ;_;

I now have my sights set on a Call of the Brotherhood. Spreading my damage between two elements will help a lot. This is where SSF bites me in the ass though...

I spent so many days running maps with my Scorching Ray/Righteous Fire Inquisitor making minimal progresses in getting higher tier maps I ended up rolling a necro. I cleared a few t13 maps without any concerns at all, but the rate at which high tier maps were dropping was just so low I need something fresh. I'm loving it so far. Should hit end game tomorrow afternoon and start rocking Solar Guards.

Maledict

I've really enjoyed this league, and the game gets better and better all the time - but I still think they need to reexamine some of the fundamentals of their end game. In particular, I think the xp loss on death combined with the ridiculous amount of grind is just flat out unfun when you're hitting level 90. In a game where even in a very defensive build you can sometimes just die instantly, its silly to lose hours of progress to what feels like a very unfair interaction.

I'm sure the next expansion will focus on end game stuff and hopefully they will revisit this.

iamblades

I've really enjoyed this league, and the game gets better and better all the time - but I still think they need to reexamine some of the fundamentals of their end game. In particular, I think the xp loss on death combined with the ridiculous amount of grind is just flat out unfun when you're hitting level 90. In a game where even in a very defensive build you can sometimes just die instantly, its silly to lose hours of progress to what feels like a very unfair interaction.

I'm sure the next expansion will focus on end game stuff and hopefully they will revisit this.

That's why I have never and will never level to 100 probably. Maybe one day Ill grind one of my favorite characters to 100 in standard just to say I did it, but to me that's not really the point of the game unless you are ladder racing. When I hit the point where it takes as long to get a level as it does to get a new build to 70, i start to lose interest.

Dahbomb

I spent so many days running maps with my Scorching Ray/Righteous Fire Inquisitor making minimal progresses in getting higher tier maps I ended up rolling a necro. I cleared a few t13 maps without any concerns at all, but the rate at which high tier maps were dropping was just so low I need something fresh. I'm loving it so far. Should hit end game tomorrow afternoon and start rocking Solar Guards.
You need to sextant your maps to be getting returns. And make sure you sextant in such a way that the adjacent maps are being touched by bad sextants so that when you put a sextant on the actual adjacent map, it's likely to roll a good sextant on your farming map.

Good sextants are any sextants that put more monsters in the map. Sextants that put Breaches or Beyond are premium of course. After your map is full of sextants that generate more monsters, 20% quality your map and make sure when you roll your map so that it is at least 20% pack size of monsters. Anything less and you are throwing returns away. Of course all this process costs a lot of investment but you need to put in money to make money (unless you get lucky I did but that Spider Forest map was full sextanted with all good sextants plus Breach and 30% pack size).

And make sure your Atlas is fully completed from 1-10 including the unique maps. This should be around 85-95 completion on the Atlas. You don't want any bad red tier maps completed on the Atlas. And finally make sure a lvl14 and lvl15 map on your Atlas is completed so that you get it to drop in your lvl3 maps (maps can drop 2 levels higher). You probably have to buy a completion on a tier 15 map. Try to shape a tier 9 map to a 14 that is close by to your 13. For example I have shaped Shore and Tropical Island with a Shaped Coves near by too. Then I have Abyss map and Minotaur map unlocked so that I can get them from Coves if need be. It's also fine if you don't have any tier 14 maps (if you roll a tier 14 then it just gets downgraded to a tier 13).

One last tip for mapping.. Orb of Bindings count as an Alchemy even for maps and jewelry. So don't forget to use them. Hell buying them is cheaper than Alchemist right now.

rickyson1

yeah i'm at 94 and am already at the point even with 6k+ life where I die often enough even just mapping that there's no way i'm ever getting to 95 let alone 100 unless I were to specifically try for it with like beachheads or whatever

Dahbomb

Yeah right now best way to get to lvl100 is to do Beachhead rotations. Lots of people on global 820 doing those right now. I have only done a few lvl10 Beacheads and one lvl15 Beachhead just to get a feel for it (did them solo). Definitely get some massive EXP from it and it's mostly pretty safe and chill. Worst things in them are those proximity shields.

It's just not every fun. Blue tilesets, blue objects, blue enemies, blue effects... blue, blue, blue everywhere.

Is there any reason to not complete (+bonus) every map on the atlas?

e: GG i just 6-linked my chest with 5 fusings. wow.

Running Glacial Hammer - Multiistrike - Melee Phys Dmg - Ruthless - Elemental Dmg w/ Attacks - Ice Bite.
Am I missing a support gem that would be better?

2x Winter Burial so 100% cold conversion, and I have the 100% penetration on crit Inquisitor ascendancy passive (with ~26% crit) so I don't think I need cold penetration.

Rufus

Running Glacial Hammer - Multiistrike - Melee Phys Dmg - Ruthless - Elemental Dmg w/ Attacks - Ice Bite.

2x Winter Burial so 100% cold conversion, and I have the 100% penetration on crit Inquisitor ascendancy passive (with ~26% crit) so I don't think I need cold penetration.
GZ.

Crit strikes over melee phys, maybe. Or life leech, though I doubt you'd survive reflect with it.

Dahbomb

26% is nothing, so you might actually be doing more damage if you slot in an Increased Critical Strike gem. But it's hard to know which gem to slot out without looking into Path of Building (which everyone should have).

The reason to not complete every map on the Atlas is to game the system to make it drop only the maps you want. If you have only one tier 13 unlocked on the map (let's say a Shaped Shore) then only that tier 13 map will drop if the game rolls a tier 13 map. So you will have a 100% chance of getting a Shaped Shore. But if you had two tier 13 maps unlocked then you will only get Shaped Shore half of the time.

rickyson1

26% is nothing, so you might actually be doing more damage if you slot in an Increased Critical Strike gem. But it's hard to know which gem to slot out without looking into Path of Building (which everyone should have).

The reason to not complete every map on the Atlas is to game the system to make it drop only the maps you want. If you have only one tier 13 unlocked on the map (let's say a Shaped Shore) then only that tier 13 map will drop if the game rolls a tier 13 map. So you will have a 100% chance of getting a Shaped Shore. But if you had two tier 13 maps unlocked then you will only get Shaped Shore half of the time.

just to add maps can also drop maps that are connected to them on the atlas regardless of whether you have completed them or not

shaped maps in particular do tend to be connected to much lower level maps than they are once shaped though so it doesn't really matter for those ones

Bonezz

Neo Member

I just gave up trying to random 6 sockets and just started paying Vorichi 350 jewelers since they drop like candy anyways. Linking though... I'm currently 650ish fusing into trying to 6-link a belly of the beast and still no luck. If I actually manage to get lucky it would be the first thing I've 6-linked in 4 years of playing the game. Right now I'm just using a 5-link belly on my duelist and 6link alched chest I got from divination cards on another character waiting for this other belly to link.

Dahbomb

Better make sure that Belly is full quality man.

On a side note.. I really hate how so many builds use Belly of the Beast.

To that guy who has been using Lightning Strike, if you have Path of Building then you can use my Lightning Strike character build from two leagues ago. I updated it for 3.0, not many changes were needed. With good gear and jewels you can crack a million DPS with it (both melee and projectile portion, no Abyssus). I remembered that Esh's Mirror is kinda busted with this build.

Build over view:

Claw and Shield set up. Touch of Anguish for the crit and chain, otherwise Mortem Morsu is more raw damage. 300 physical DPS with crit chance/multiplier Rare Claw is best for damage though but harder to get. Shield is Esh's Mirror, at 30+ enemies killed it out damages any combination of dual wield set up (and it's very easy to get 30 kill streak going). Everything here is under 20C or under except GG rare

Vaal Pact with Claw nodes for leech.

Lightning Coil for chest, gives defense and offense. Cheap chest these days now that everyone is going for Belly.

Diamond rings for crit as this build stacks crit. Opal Rings are a bit more damage but much harder to get.

Flasks are Vessel of Vinktar, Atziri Promise and Wise Oak. Silver and Diamond flask for utility. Vessel of Vinktar is most expensive flask here and you want Lightning Penetration version.

The rest are all Rare items to fill resistance and stat gaps. 3 jewels on skill tree.

6 link is : Lightning Strike, Multistrike, Added Lightning, Elemental damage with weapons, Critical Hit damage (or critical strike gem if chance is low) and Lightning Penetration.

Other gems are:

Whirling Blade Fortify Faster Attacks : Standard movement set up.

Cast on damage taken, Immortal Call, Increased Duration, Vaal Haste.

Herald of Thunder, Curse on Hit, Assassins Mark, Wrath. Aura set up with curse on hit to get Power charges and get more effective crit and leech. This set up is for mapping.

Orb of Storms, Power Charge on Crit, Curse on Hit, Conductivity. This is single target set up. Curses them with Conductivity and generates power charges. Standard set up.

Blood Rage, Ice Golem, Ancestral Protector. Utility set up. Blood Rage gives you more attack speed. Ice Golem gives accuracy and crit. Ancestral Protector more attack speed and acts as a temporary decoy.

Wow, I completely missed the flat +%crit on ICS the first time I looked at it. 40% crit with glacial hammer now.

Took me more than 10 times as many Chromatics to get exactly one blue and one green socket than it took to get the 6L, heh.

Dahbomb

Wow, I completely missed the flat +%crit on ICS the first time I looked at it. 40% crit with glacial hammer now.

Took me more than 10 times as many Chromatics to get exactly one blue and one green socket than it took to get the 6L, heh.
Now get a Diamond Flask to get upto 60% effective crit chance.

this games entire economy feels so ridiculously unstable right now

Even Lioneyes jewels have doubled in price. I bought one two weeks ago for 70c. Now they're 170c+. Spikes like these happen every league though.

looks like my weird exalt drop drystreak finally ended

had 1 in like 300 maps now 4 in 10 or so today so far

I've had terrible luck all league long when it comes to ex drops. 150 hours or so this league and I've had two exalt drops. But on the other side I've now had 3 Kaoms Heart and a Deaths Door drops in uberlab. I'll take the latter. Haha

iamblades

this games entire economy feels so ridiculously unstable right now

I'm surprised there is a functioning economy at all with the clusterfuck of currency types lol.

Stability is impossible when the entire economy is constantly being reset, and I don't even think a stable economy is desirable under such a situation.

I've been playing SSF this league though.

Dahbomb

Even Lioneyes jewels have doubled in price. I bought one two weeks ago for 70c. Now they're 170c+. Spikes like these happen every league though.
That one makes complete sense, Mathil made a Ice Shot bow build and used that gem for the build.

I know it's a meme but it's god damn true... whenever a streamer makes a build the prices of item skyrocket.

That one makes complete sense, Mathil made a Ice Shot bow build and used that gem for the build.

I know it's a meme but it's god damn true... whenever a streamer makes a build the prices of item skyrocket.

I'm tempted to sell off my Doomfletch gear now. Ziggy D is doing the same Doomfletch build I'm doing and mathil is doing a build that utilizes the same jewels I'm going for. I could make a nice bit of currency...

I do want to do a wander. That could fund the beginning of one.

On a side note finally got my cyclone character high enough for my Disfavour. Holy crap the aoe with weapon is insane on Cyclone. Also hits like a truck. Only level 79 and I already cleared a t15 beachhead map. Sitting at 6.5k life and 140k tooltip dps with conc effect.

Also pretty tanky with 70% phys reduction. Might give a try farming lab on a good lab day.

You need to sextant your maps to be getting returns. And make sure you sextant in such a way that the adjacent maps are being touched by bad sextants so that when you put a sextant on the actual adjacent map, it's likely to roll a good sextant on your farming map.

Good sextants are any sextants that put more monsters in the map. Sextants that put Breaches or Beyond are premium of course. After your map is full of sextants that generate more monsters, 20% quality your map and make sure when you roll your map so that it is at least 20% pack size of monsters. Anything less and you are throwing returns away. Of course all this process costs a lot of investment but you need to put in money to make money (unless you get lucky I did but that Spider Forest map was full sextanted with all good sextants plus Breach and 30% pack size).

And make sure your Atlas is fully completed from 1-10 including the unique maps. This should be around 85-95 completion on the Atlas. You don't want any bad red tier maps completed on the Atlas. And finally make sure a lvl14 and lvl15 map on your Atlas is completed so that you get it to drop in your lvl3 maps (maps can drop 2 levels higher). You probably have to buy a completion on a tier 15 map. Try to shape a tier 9 map to a 14 that is close by to your 13. For example I have shaped Shore and Tropical Island with a Shaped Coves near by too. Then I have Abyss map and Minotaur map unlocked so that I can get them from Coves if need be. It's also fine if you don't have any tier 14 maps (if you roll a tier 14 then it just gets downgraded to a tier 13).

One last tip for mapping.. Orb of Bindings count as an Alchemy even for maps and jewelry. So don't forget to use them. Hell buying them is cheaper than Alchemist right now.

Thanks for the advice. Ill see what I can do with sextants when I jump on later.

My fully buffed DPS just broke 75k for the first time, that was a good feeling.

What's the best way to deal with Chaos damage bosses? Got absolutely destroyed by the Arachnid Nest (tier 8, forget the exact name) boss. Is it safe to assume that most chaos damage fights aren't going to be dealing elemental damage and get a few gear pieces to swap into for these fights?

iamblades

My fully buffed DPS just broke 75k for the first time, that was a good feeling.

What's the best way to deal with Chaos damage bosses? Got absolutely destroyed by the Arachnid Nest (tier 8, forget the exact name) boss. Is it safe to assume that most chaos damage fights aren't going to be dealing elemental damage and get a few gear pieces to swap into for these fights?

You can carry around a couple pieces for those situations, and you should probably have an amethyst flask.

Chaos damage is balanced around the resistance being 0, so you don't have to go crazy, just try not to be -60.

Baliis

WxTivKx.jpg

Good night tonight, Uber Atziri and Shaper we're my goals for the league and Ive got them both down now.

danowat

Banned
Quick question from a new(ish) player.

I fought, and beat, Dominus this morning, he wasn't hard to beat, but he did have some sort of status attack that I couldn't seem to counter, it was some sort of corrupting affect that had a timer, but the timer didn't move, and just sucked the life out of me.

The question is, what was this status attack, and what resistances do I need to buff to make my character more resilient to it?

Leezard

Quick question from a new(ish) player.

I fought, and beat, Dominus this morning, he wasn't hard to beat, but he did have some sort of status attack that I couldn't seem to counter, it was some sort of corrupting affect that had a timer, but the timer didn't move, and just sucked the life out of me.

The question is, what was this status attack, and what resistances do I need to buff to make my character more resilient to it?

That is corrupting blood. You need a flask with the suffix "of staunching", that removes bleed effects and makes you immune to bleed.

rickyson1

if anyone else here has been looking to get into path of building like me but didn't really know where to start that engineering eternity guy just released a video about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLpKZVNTOo8

haven't watched it yet but his other videos have been pretty good

edit: watched it and feel like I understand it reasonably well now

rickyson1

still so pissed about this whole exalted thing

was gonna get a headhunter yesterday but doctor cards are literally up 30% in price over the past day and a half now

ridiculously awful timing for me

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How do you go about getting good flasks? Should I be using currency on them to try and upgrade them? I've got 2 health, a quick, and 2 mana on my bar at level 48 still. Is that normal?

Xyber

still so pissed about this whole exalted thing

was gonna get a headhunter yesterday but doctor cards are literally up 30% in price over the past day and a half now

ridiculously awful timing for me

The only right thing to do is to buy Ancient orbs for all your money and get it that way. 😉

It was annoying listing my Opal ring yesterday. Almost all listings had changed to Ex, but the website still thought 1ex was around 42c. So it was only 2 listed for 40c, a bunch of ones with Ex and then after them it started with chaos again at 50-ish.

I'm a bit annoyed I didn't buy in for like 500c after I sold my 6 linked belly the other day, but I thought it would last until I had sold my staff for 400 as well. It didn't..

How do you go about getting good flasks? Should I be using currency on them to try and upgrade them? I've got 2 health, a quick, and 2 mana on my bar at level 48 still. Is that normal?

Better versions of the flasks will constantly drop throughout the story. Then you just upgrade one to magic and reroll the stats a few times to get something you want/need like bleed/freeze immune. Depending on the build you are playing you might not need 2 Mana or life flasks and could replace one with a granite or diamond if you need more armor or more crit etc. If you have a good mobility skill that you can use constantly, then maybe you don't need 2 quicksilver.

iamblades

Yes you should be using currency on them, you need at least a bleed removal and a freeze removal, because those are the two status effects most likely to get you dead. Use transmutes on flasks until you get bleed or freeze removal, then augment it to fill out a secondary attribute if you didn't get one.

Most people try to get away without needing Mana flasks, but sometimes you need one. While levelling I like to run two hours, two Quicksilver s and a defensive flask that varies depending on which defense is lacking. At maps I swap a quick out for a second defensive flask.

Some builds require specific flasks in order to function though. I usually don't build my characters that way, but it's pretty common at the high end.

Dahbomb

Sold the The Doctor card and started a new character for the league. I could have pushed the Frost Blade character a lot higher in damage with some orb of regrets but I think the currency is better spent on a new character.

I had a Death Harp in my stash, bought the prophecy for cheap and the Divined it to get 49% CC and near top physical damage roll. Got 6 sockets in under 100 sockets and 6 linked in under 300. Less than 4 exalts spent on the near perfect 6l Feath's Opus.

Bought a Dying Sun for 2 exalt and a Lioneye Gem.

Next up got a Belly of the Beast. I 6 socketed it within 2 sockets! I got hyped and then bought 200 fusings... then another 100... and another, and another.. until I sunk 600+ in another and didn't get one. Used up all my exalts and just started the character. I already have a 6 link Queen of the Forest on my other character that I can use if I want to but I don't want to mess up the colors.

I am still ahead in terms of profits for the money spent but many that Belly fuse session felt kinda bad.

Also person who sold me the Belly and some fusings was a Gaffer!

danowat

Banned

Rightly or wrongly, I've been picking up flasks and chopping them in as a recipe, 3 x same size gives the next size up then currency them up, or use 3x rares, you get a rare of the next size up.

Dahbomb

The thing that confuses me is that a lot of builds suggest legendary flasks. I've never even seen a rare flask drop, ha.
Rare flasks don't exist, it's just White, Magic and Uniques.

This game is designed around public trading with an economy in mind. You can theoretically farm for some flasks (Lion's Roar flask can be farmed on Dunes map for example) or chance them but it's very difficult and time consuming. So you get your flasks from trading. Luckily only like 3-4 flasks are super expensive, the rest are fairly affordable.

I was able to push my badly built SC Templar Inquisitor to reach level 60 in act 8, but I felt he is lacking in several areas like magic damage and life so I shelved him for now and started a new character, this time following a guide. I created a Ranger following Neversink build posted in the official forums.

Can anyone give me some insight on how trading works? Albeit playing it even before the game got on Steam I never cared or invested the time to understand it. Are the trades only made via poe.trade?

Other doubt besides Path of Building that I will download once I get back to home and the loot filters (currently using Neversink) any other useful tool or resource I should be aware?

Xyber

I was able to push my badly built SC Templar Inquisitor to reach level 60 in act 8, but I felt he is lacking in several areas like magic damage and life so I shelved him for now and started a new character, this time following a guide. I created a Ranger following Neversink build posted in the official forums.

Can anyone give me some insight on how trading works? Albeit playing it even before the game got on Steam I never cared or invested the time to understand it. Are the trades only made via poe.trade?

Other doubt besides Path of Building that I will download once I get back to home and the loot filters (currently using Neversink) any other useful tool or resource I should be aware?

Trade macro is the best for checking stats and prices on items. https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro

Need to run the game in borderless for it to work though, which is a shame because I get so much better performance in fullscreen. =/

As for trading, you find the item you need on poe.trade, press the whisper button under it and paste the message in the game and it sends a message to the guy saying you want that item. He then invites you, you go to his hideout and you trade.

Top Bottom