• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

flkraven

I'm currently level 42 with my first character, a 2H maurader beserker (and I mainly use cyclone and sunder). I'm thinking about branching out and starting a new character.

Are there decent Archer or Necromancer builds? I played a bunch of Amazon in D2, and wouldn't mind a similar bow user, but I also think having a bunch of minions would be fun. Which is more viable?

Baliis

I'm currently level 42 with my first character, a 2H maurader beserker (and I mainly use cyclone and sunder). I'm thinking about branching out and starting a new character.

Are there decent Archer or Necromancer builds? I played a bunch of Amazon in D2, and wouldn't mind a similar bow user, but I also think having a bunch of minions would be fun. Which is more viable?

There's plenty of how builds depending on what you want to do, tornado shot, lightning arrow, barrage, all good skills.

Necromancer depends on what you wanna do. Spectres are fun, but lacking a lot of quality of life features in terms of getting good spectres summoned. Summon raging spirits is a popular starter build that doesn't require much investment to be pretty good. Golems can be fantastic, but very very expensive to build.

As to which is more viable, depends on what content you wanna do and how much currency you're willing to spend.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
There's plenty of how builds depending on what you want to do, tornado shot, lightning arrow, barrage, all good skills.

Necromancer depends on what you wanna do. Spectres are fun, but lacking a lot of quality of life features in terms of getting good spectres summoned. Summon raging spirits is a popular starter build that doesn't require much investment to be pretty good. Golems can be fantastic, but very very expensive to build.

As to which is more viable, depends on what content you wanna do and how much currency you're willing to spend.

Ya I'm kind of interested in a bow build too but they mostly seem like higher-end stuff, not cheap/beginner stuff.

Dahbomb

Bow builds are fine starting out, they can be pretty cheap to get started.

They just have a really high ceiling so the more currency you put into them, the more returns you get. About 4 leagues ago I played a Lightning Arrow + Barrage bow build almost entirely solo self found I beat regular Atziri with it (was clearing tier 11 maps with it) as well as Uber Izaro.

Most bow builds are built very similarly... you pick a bow skill that you use for map clearing (Tornado Shot, Lightning Arrow, Burning Arrow, Caustic Arrow, Ice Shot etc) and then you use Barrage for single target. Usually there is some elemental conversion happening in there as well but the pathing is very similar, only varies if you are going crit or not (most bow builds go crit).

You can use forum bow guides though some seem to recommend really expensive items starting out like Kaom's Heart with double Doomfletch 6 links, Dying Sun and Abyssus Helm with +2 Barrage shot. Nah you definitely don't need all of that at all, you just build towards those one at a time while you farm tier 11-13 maps with your cheap gear.

If you are new to the game then I would recommend Bow build over Necromancer builds. Necromancer builds utilize a lot of weird, non-intuitive mechanics that aren't as easy to understand as a bow build. Plus the whole minion management is a bit weird starting out.

Tuorom

Neo Member
but I also think having a bunch of minions would be fun. Which is more viable?

Minions are not bad. I got one character easily to 60 with zombies and arc. Idk how well it does late game because I switched to a different game. But zombies plus somekind of elemental damage skill would be a decent starting build to get used to the game.

I just made a zombie and firestorm build and it does well too. But again I'm not late game.

Get all the zombie nodes then get all the elemental nodes, ez pz.

xuchu

Zombies scale extremely well into endgame and I've done shaper with a 900/1000+ strength baron/montregruls grasp build. However, I don't know if zombies are the best thing to be basing your build around for a new summoner. Zombie AI is notoriously slow and clunky and it's the chief reason why everything is put into increasing thier speed through flesh offering, haste aura and Vaal haste and lots of other defensive auras for your minions. Thier AI (even with the recent fixes) contributes to thier slow clear speed in maps but they are very good, tanky and surprising boss dps machines. The baron is a big build defining unique which is actually low level but quite expensive so would not recommend straight zombie summoner.

I would rather recommend SRS or Skeleton Mage necromancer (which was recently featured on build of week), which is easier to get running.

Might not look like much but straight up summoners are quite rewarding and is the anti-thesis of this single skill gameplay that people complain about for some odd reason
cos there's nothing wrong with it and that's how most ARPGs optimise towards

Managing your minions buffs, positioning and defensive/offensive AI is rewarding but can be quite overwhelming as it's such a different style of play to most builds. It will come with patience and time though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXKFrUIp5Gc

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
One of the new player build guides mentioned a saboteaur fire nova mine build. It looks fun and apparently has good clear speed for packs of mobs but can't deal with the tougher boss-type mobs (shaper/uber?)

Might not look like much but straight up summoners are quite rewarding and is the anti-thesis of this single skill gameplay that people complain about for some odd reason
cos there's nothing wrong with it and that's how most ARPGs optimise towards

Lol yeah I actually find myself wishing I had more slots for skills. Just last night I had to replace Move with Flame Dash. My current setup is:

Mouse:
Flame Dash
Aura (swapped between Purity of Elements, Discipline, Clarity and eventually Haste)
Curse (Vulnerability or Enfeeble)

QWERT:
Flesh Offering (or Chaos Golem)
Desecrate
Summon Skeleton
Raise Zombie
Raise Spectre

I wish I had dedicated slots to Enfeeble and Move. On my current mapping progress I find that I actually some time to cast offensive spells so I wished I could use my Arc again.

Dahbomb

One of the new player build guides mentioned a saboteaur fire nova mine build. It looks fun and apparently has good clear speed for packs of mobs but can't deal with the tougher boss-type mobs (shaper/uber?)
The best way to play Mines and Traps is to not play Mines and Traps. LMAO!

When Ignite used to double dip, Fire Nova mines used to delete Shaper.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ice Nova trap feels pretty good this was when it was first released though. I don't know the meta trap now.

I never tried mines but I've always heard that despite its effectiveness it plays clunky.

So if you're going to try trap/mines start with traps first.

Bonezz

Neo Member
Lol yeah I actually find myself wishing I had more slots for skills. Just last night I had to replace Move with Flame Dash. My current setup is:

Mouse:
Flame Dash
Aura (swapped between Purity of Elements, Discipline, Clarity and eventually Haste)
Curse (Vulnerability or Enfeeble)

QWERT:
Flesh Offering (or Chaos Golem)
Desecrate
Summon Skeleton
Raise Zombie
Raise Spectre

I wish I had dedicated slots to Enfeeble and Move. On my current mapping progress I find that I actually some time to cast offensive spells so I wished I could use my Arc again.
If you turn on an aura it doesn't need to be on your bar to keep functioning and will stay active until you die or relog. You can just replace it with whatever you want after activating it.

Traps are ass. Just use for them better AoE on your mines.

I'm using a Glacial cascade miner and it's pretty baller, the only problem is it kind of a glass cannon and it does need a 5-6l to really do a lot of damage. That said:

I never tried mines but I've always heard that despite its effectiveness it plays clunky.

It can be for a good while and without some tricks. The main thing, I feel, is mine laying speed and how it always takes the same amount of time to set up for a big pack clearing wipe or smaller loose ends, it gets fairly annoying to use mines as you learn how they target enemies to try and get better coverage for pack clearing. Nothing sucks more then having some small fries survive because the mines were too close together, solved if you maybe placed another a bit to your left or right.

Another thing is how you always step forward a bit to place mines, even at your feet. To fix that, you can turn attack in place on forever so any time you use mines, you'll always place it at your feet. I pretty much do that with every character I use nowadays anyway, I really like the trick.

Shinypogs

I'm having a lot of fun with this summon focused Witch, zombies and srs destroying everything. It might not be properly optimized but it feels good to play so far and I haven't found the aI to be that bad. Content seems a tonne easier than with my first build years which I took to near the end of act 3 before I gave up on the story. I can't tell if that's because the content is actually easier, summons now are stronger than ethereal knives were then or I'm just playing better/ having better loot luck. Either way everything is looking up although I know the spider section looms ahead waiting to ruin my day because fuck spiders.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shaper is a lot harder than Uberlab, Uberlab is like "end game grind moneymaker". Shaper and Uber Atziri are the real test of builds.

Dahbomb

Shaper is the true final boss of the game and Uber Atziri is just below that. Uber Izaro is well below even the Guardians.

That said I find Uber Atziri harder than Shaper mechanically. Very small room and her attacks are really fast and hard to dodge. Shaper is pretty forward except for the 3rd phase.

Xyber

So I decided to try shaper for my first time. I went in completely blind, not knowing any of his mechanics.

Got to his second stage and then screwed myself over by not paying attention to his balls and I trigger a lot of them towards the middle which was what killed me in the end.

After the fight I also remembered that I had completely forgotten to equip the conc effect gem..

I'm gonna level a few more levels to grab the last damage nodes and then try him again.

Bought a Disfavour for a cyclone build I want to do. Paid 250c for it. 6s it in 100 jewellers, and 6Led it in 50 fusings. I'm hyped. I thought I was going to farm a few days for fusings before I 6Led it.

All in all if i choose to sell it. 320c investment and I could sell it for 800c plus.

Baliis

xoph's heart is a difficult item to sell took me like 3 days to move mine

bit relieved to finally be done selling it

What did you sell it for it of curiosity. My buddy sold one recently, but under priced it a bit to sell it quick and buy a Kaoms. Can't remember what he ended up with, like 525?

Kyougar

Hi all,

I came back to Path of Exile after 5 or 6 months, the last time I played was with the (dont know the word anymore) glowing hands that spewed monster.

I created a new harbinger character now and miss one of the premium stash tabs. The one with the cards. When I open the tab it is just blank, nothing is in there, no free spaces, anything. I know that my old items are in the standard league. And in the essence and the currency tab are the icons displayed just without items in the new league. Only the card tab is completely blank, no icons, nothing.

I checked my standard character and there is also nothing in the cards tab

Leezard

Hi all,

I came back to Path of Exile after 5 or 6 months, the last time I played was with the (dont know the word anymore) glowing hands that spewed monster.

I created a new harbinger character now and miss one of the premium stash tabs. The one with the cards. When I open the tab it is just blank, nothing is in there, no free spaces, anything. I know that my old items are in the standard league. And in the essence and the currency tab are the icons displayed just without items in the new league. Only the card tab is completely blank, no icons, nothing.

Do you have "full stacks" filled in or something in the search field? Those can make the tab look blank. If you don't have that, I'd check with GGG support.

Kyougar

Do you have "full stacks" filled in or something in the search field? Those can make the tab look blank. If you don't have that, I'd check with GGG support.

can't check right now but there wasn't anything in the search field, all the other tabs, normal and premium were displayed correctly, only the card tab was blank. I hadn't enough time this morning to check my standard characters if the cards were just in the normal tabs or if they were all gone on my standard chars.
There are still cards, right?

Leezard

can't check right now but there wasn't anything in the search field, all the other tabs, normal and premium were displayed correctly, only the card tab was blank. I hadn't enough time this morning to check my standard characters if the cards were just in the normal tabs or if they were all gone on my standard chars.
There are still cards, right?
Yes, cards still exist. If there's not some sort of bug the only thing I can imagine is that the "Full stacks" option is filled in.

Could have just bought a Searing Torch instead or a Martyr of Innocence.

Also are you are the item level on the staff was high enough to even get +2 to gems?

Could I? I needed 6 linked slots a +2 to fire gems specifically as not too many things effect SRS. I ended up just blowing even more resources on the weapon and ended up getting what I needed in about 7 more rerolls.

I also just had a Baron helm drop which was the other core item for the build so I'm content.

Baliis

Hi all,

As others have said, you might have the filter set to Owned or Full Stacks or something, it's just a drop down menu at the bottom of the tab. That would make it look blank if you don't have any cards/full sets in the tab.

sup, I played this game a little bit with my ex years ago; I decided to redownload it.

Is it impossible to clear the game's content without minmaxing?

Dahbomb

sup, I played this game a little bit with my ex years ago; I decided to redownload it.

It's not impossible but you still need to play a lot, have decent skill and pick the right type of build. People have cleared end game content with 5 link, under 10C per item, no crazy enchants and lvl19-20 gems (basically non optimized, non min maxed builds).

That said please have Path of Building program downloaded and use a tried/tested end game build with good single target damage and clear speed. Making a build on your own starting out is going to result in a lot of pain and frustration if you plan to push through end game.

Tom Penny

Trying another Nagahuma or whatever build since i got the item to drop. At least i won't waste currency trying to 6 link it this time :/

Kyougar

As others have said, you might have the filter set to Owned or Full Stacks or something, it's just a drop down menu at the bottom of the tab. That would make it look blank if you don't have any cards/full sets in the tab.

Thank you both, it was that. I plead 5-month absence and not remembering it.

Xyber

I get that people want Opal rings, but holy shit. I have never been spammed like that before after putting up an item :p

I put it up for 45c, sold it to a guy who offered 70 right away. Did I go too cheap even with him?

Dahbomb

I get that people want Opal rings, but holy shit. I have never been spammed like that before after putting up an item :p

I put it up for 45c, sold it to a guy who offered 70 right away. Did I go too cheap even with him?
Was it a white or yellow ring? White Opals going for 40-45C at the moment. Yellow Opals depend on the stats.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I've reached the end of Act 3.

I'm very happy with the Raider Ascendancy and the first thing I chose was Way of the Poacher.

2750 DPS with Lightning Strike during battles. Is that good at that point of the game? Most mobs are a piece of cake and that Act 3 boss was easy.

My chest piece is a 4 Link with Lightning Strike, Faster Attacks Support, Physical to Lightning Support and Elemental Damage with Attacks Support. I could've had a 6 Socket chest piece, but it only had 3 linked sockets so I sold it. Looking back, I should've tried getting all 6 linked and changing up the colors.

Edit: Found a Jade Flask that grants +3000 Evasion for a couple of seconds. 80% chance to evade attacks upon using it. Looks like it could be useful in tougher fights.

Xyber

Those Opal Ring prices are Harbinger and not Standard right?

Yes, I don't touch standard.

Guess my luck is still going strong. Belly 6-linked with 170 fuse. I don't even plan to use it for anything right now, just thought it was gonna be my little side project for a while.

Edit: Jesus fucking christ. I 6-linked my Taryn's Shiver staff in 40 fuses now as well.

Brb, buying a lottery ticket.

iamblades

Yes, though it depends on what you mean by all the content.

If you just mean getting through act 10 and doing some maps, you could do this by largely playing the game as an action game with minimal worry about gearing or anything.

You need to learn enough to execute a decent build in order to do the harder post game content reliably though. Stuff like Uber lab, guardians, shaper, etc.

That said, i wouldn't consider just looking up a build guide 'minmaxing' either(or just learning enough about the game systems to know what works and what doesn't), and some builds are really quite forgiving. I've done SRS and essence drain builds with garbage gear and totem builds as well. The two places where 'minmaxing' becomes almost required are melee builds(flicker strike and such) and if you want to farm end game content efficiently.

If you just want to get through the content and have a decent amount of fun, you can get a way with a lot of suboptimal stuff though.

I've reached the end of Act 3.

I'm very happy with the Raider Ascendancy and the first thing I chose was Way of the Poacher.

2750 DPS with Lightning Strike during battles. Is that good at that point of the game? Most mobs are a piece of cake and that Act 3 boss was easy.

My chest piece is a 4 Link with Lightning Strike, Faster Attacks Support, Physical to Lightning Support and Elemental Damage with Attacks Support. I could've had a 6 Socket chest piece, but it only had 3 linked sockets so I sold it. Looking back, I should've tried getting all 6 linked and changing up the colors.

It's basically impossible to compare tooltip dps because there is so much variance in actually applying the dps, but 2750 at the end of act 3 seems on the high side of my experience.

As for trying to 6 link a chest piece, it can take thousands of fusings to do that if you get unlucky, so you will have many many more 6 socket items drop before you manage to 6 link anything, so you can afford to wait until you find the exact right item to spend your fusings on.

You did the right thing. Since it's an Act 3 armor, you're most likely going to upgrade it. You don't want to dump a lot of valuable currency in fixing stuff you're getting rid of in a few hours of playtime.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Passive Skill Tree and Ascendancy Tree share the same skill point pool? That's tough to decide which skills I should skill first.

You did the right thing. Since it's an Act 3 armor, you're most likely going to upgrade it. You don't want to dump a lot of valuable currency in fixing stuff you're getting rid of in a few hours of playtime.
:)

It's basically impossible to compare tooltip dps because there is so much variance in actually applying the dps, but 2750 at the end of act 3 seems on the high side of my experience.
:-o

Leezard

Passive Skill Tree and Ascendancy Tree share the same skill point pool? That's tough to decide which skills I should skill first.

Nah. You will get 2 ascendancy points for each difficulty of the labyrinth you clear. They are completely* separate from the normal passive tree.

*Scions will get extra passive points.

rickyson1

was probably item level 84 then

those are worth like 90 or so right now I think?

there's a pretty big difference in value between 84 ones and lower ones usually around double the value

Dahbomb

Bro chance to 6 link a chest is 1 out of 1200. You don't want to try for that unless you have the chest you want that will carry you through end game.

Also I would replace Faster Attacks with Multistrike. It's easier on the mana consumption and it generally results in more damage in the long run.

Other than that you are doing good so far.

Beat the Eternal Labyrinth. 6th or 7th try, only died to Izaro once. Every other time I died from being careless running through traps (and one game crash). Finally decided to ignore everything except the darkshrines and killed him on the first attempt. Hell of a satisfying feeling.

Only had the one treasure key and it dropped 3x Sacrifice at Midnight. I think the game is telling me what to do next!

I wanna stir things up a bit. What are some builds I could go for?
- Melee
- Not Witch
- Not minions / totems
- Preferably doesn't care about ES

Top Bottom