• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Gale: Rocksteady Making TMNT: Manhattan Crisis / Rocksteady: Nope, we're not

If Sony Smash Brothers end up happening, then maybe this will gain credibility. For now, I don't believe it.

I never read any of those rumors, only the ever changing thread title. But, I thought it was pretty well established that game is real?

No way this will happen. Why would Warner Bros have bought Rocksteady if they didn't want them to make games with WB properties?

Gotta get that Man of Steel game ready by next summer.

Luigiv

Sounds quite reasonable. Nothing particularly crazy about that feature list to immediately rule out this rumour.

Mista Koo

TT Games made another Lego Star Wars even though it's not a WB license #justsaying.

But yeah seems to me he's using reverse psychology ("If my rumored game is popular enough it might become true" :p).

TT Games made another Lego Star Wars even though it's not a WB license #justsaying.

Yeah, it's still possible. Just not likely. I see Rocksteady making lots of DC Comics games. Gotta keep Batman and Superman in the public eye in between movies. Which is fine by me as long as they keep taking their time and turning out awesome shit like the Batman games.

Not really. Collaborations are hardly an impossibility. In fact they happen all the time. Nickelodeon doesn't even have their own development studio. I know THQ currently holds the rights to Nicktoons properties but I don't know if that would extend to new licence acquisitions like TMNT. Either way a collaboration between Warner Bros and THQ wouldn't be particularly out there either.

I don't know what to do when someone quotes a previous post after I've already expanded on the thought in response to someone else. I'll just quote you from the past and hope you find your way back to the future.

Suzzopher

What a weird rumour, why would Warner Bros make a game based on a property owned by Nickelodeon? Surely they would have Rocksteady making original games or games based on existing Warner Bros IPs?

Luigiv

The fact the Nickelodeon owns the rights and Rocksteady are owned by Warner Brothers pretty well means there is zero chance of this happening.

Not really. Collaborations are hardly an impossibility. In fact they happen all the time. Nickelodeon doesn't even have their own development studio. I know THQ currently holds the rights to Nicktoons properties but I don't know if that would extend to new licence acquisitions like TMNT. Either way a collaboration between Warner Bros and THQ wouldn't be particularly out there either.

That being said, I don't trust Paul Gale, so I won't be surprised if this rumour turns out false.

Jtrizzy

Other than superman what other DC characters would even be worthy of a game? I can't really think of any myself. I liked Watchmen, but I don't know if the movie really did well enough to justify a game from Rocksteady. I actually enjoyed what little I played of the Watchmen game a few years ago.

Jtrizzy

I'm begging someone to do an A Team game of any kind, it lends itself perfectly to games, and especially now that there is no movie sequel being made.

Open world A Team game with vehicles and destruction that uses the voice actors from the movie would be so great.

Takao

Banned

That being said, I don't trust Paul Gale, so I won't be surprised if this rumour turns out false.

You don't think it would be a conflict of interest for Nickelodeon to partner with one of their largest competitors in Warner? Warner owns Cartoon Network as an FYI.

monome

A quick release around the time WiiU releases, using as much of Arkahm City as possible and with a lot of PS360 in homes seems like a good idea to cash in before next-gen starts for realz.

Luigiv

You don't think it would be a conflict of interest for Nickelodeon to partner with one of their largest competitors in Warner? Warner owns Cartoon Network as an FYI.

No, I do not. Directly competing businesses collaborate on projects all the fucking time. And even then, Nick technically doesn't directly compete against WBIS. They're in different industries, the competition argument is moot.

That would be like saying it's a conflict in interest for Sony to pre-load Microsoft Windows on their Vaio Laptops.

Endo Punk

With an epic one-two punch like AA and AC I will pretty much buy any game Rocksteady are working on next. I haven't been interested in TMNT since the 80s cartoon show. But the same could be said for Batman and Rocksteady made me a believer (Nolan helped).

I'll be totally cool with RS working on a Turtles game. I really think they need to work on a new game before returning to Arkham.

I would absolutely love this rumour to be true, but there is no way I'll believe it's real until there is a full announcement. It may be a fantastic idea, but that's not the way game companies work.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
This would be incredible. I hope it's true!

There are quite a lot of TMNT villains too: Baxter Stockman, Bebop, Rocksteady, Karai, Krang, Leatherhead, The Rat King, Tokka, Rahzar, HAVOC, the Utrons, Shredder himself... then there's side characters like Casey Jones, April O Neil, Wingnut and Screwloose, Drakos / Beserko, War etc. Then think of what you can do story-wise between each of the four turtles and their personalities... you could be fighting alongside them or saving them from trouble etc. Turtle specific missions... it'd be great...

There are a lot of forgettable characters that graced the cartoons and movies (after Turtles II it went silly), but its a rich universe and probably quite perfect in terms of what can be done with combat and story progression following Rocksteady's Batman games...

I really hope its true!

You forgot the best side character. Usagi Yojimbo

Tizoc

j8l05.png

Carry on~
Hopefully the game, if real, will have a err 'colorful' world.

Busty

Banned
This is total fucking NONSENSE.....

Thankfully GAF delivered and this chap hit the nail on the head on the very first page of the thread.

I find it very hard to believe that Rocksteady would be developing a project based on an existing IP that isn't owned by WB (Nickelodeon/Viacom didn't just acquire the TV rights to TMNT - they now own the IP entirely), so I'd bet that Paul's sources on this are full of shit.

For emphasis: Nickelodeon, and thus Viacom, has owned the TMNT IP in its entirety - not just the TV rights, as Paul implies here - for over two years now. The odds that a WB-owned studio would be developing a game based on an IP owned by a different entertainment conglomerate are not exactly high.

Perhaps there is a TMNT game being developed by it is not being developed by Rocksteady.

Terrell

OH NO, this can never happen! Time Warner doesn't own Ninja Turtles, they'd never sign a licensing deal that would make them money. Never in a million years.

Yeah, better for Viacom to leave TMNT with Ubisoft. That's worked out SPLENDIDLY.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, better for Viacom to leave TMNT with Ubisoft. That's worked out SPLENDIDLY.

They weren't the ones who signed that contract with Ubisoft. 4Kids Entertainment, and Mirage were. Those 2 parties sold the franchise to Viacom very recently.

Terrell

They weren't the ones who signed that contract with Ubisoft. 4Kids Entertainment, and Mirage were. Those 2 parties sold the franchise to Viacom very recently.

My point is, who else are they gonna give it to that won't make the situation worse?

Busty

Banned
OH NO, this can never happen! Time Warner doesn't own Ninja Turtles, they'd never sign a licensing deal that would make them money. Never in a million years.

You do not know what you are talking about.

At all.

Go back to your Splinter/Shredder slash fiction.

KevinCow

Banned
Other than superman what other DC characters would even be worthy of a game? I can't really think of any myself. I liked Watchmen, but I don't know if the movie really did well enough to justify a game from Rocksteady. I actually enjoyed what little I played of the Watchmen game a few years ago.

The Flash is the best character ever.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't know about Rocksteady, but the development of a "big" TMNT videogame for 2013 could be "real", due to the fact that on '13 there should be a huge relaunch of the Cartoon series, alongside the toyline, worldwide.

RickA238

This would be amazing. I loved the cel-shaded beat em up from 2003, but this would blow it out of the water. Been a TMNT fan since '89.

If it's original style TMNT and not the pizza-swilling cowabunga TMNT...then this is fucking awesome.

The Arkham City engine will be perfect for it.

+1 one from this guy here.

Top Bottom