• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Gale: Rocksteady Making TMNT: Manhattan Crisis / Rocksteady: Nope, we're not

Really hoping it's going to be the very first, dark/badass TMNT not the horrible/ridiculous goofy ones...

5wY60.jpg

Yeah, they're fucking awesome

Busty

Banned
So this guy is writing all of this because he mentioned the idea to Rocksteady at E3? Fucking sounds like a crazy person.

I have no doubt that somewhere in that guy's house he has a severed human head in a jar of apple juice which he tells people is a prop from Futurama.

TreIII

Really hoping it's going to be the very first, dark/badass TMNT not the horrible/ridiculous goofy ones...

5wY60.jpg

This. Complete with everybody having red headbands, instead of the color-coded ensemble that the '80s toon started.

On that note, if this game was actually standing to be based on the new IDW series (which Eastman is on board with), I wouldn't mind that at all, either.

I wish Rocksteady could get their hands on the Transformers license. To be fair, High Moon's War for Cybertron was decent, but I think Rocksteady could make an incredible game based on that license.

.la1n

This would be the single best thing to occur in the past couple years of life, easily. I don't care what that says of my life :p

Paul Gale

Not really. Collaborations are hardly an impossibility. In fact they happen all the time. Nickelodeon doesn't even have their own development studio. I know THQ currently holds the rights to Nicktoons properties but I don't know if that would extend to new licence acquisitions like TMNT. Either way a collaboration between Warner Bros and THQ wouldn't be particularly out there either.

That being said, I don't trust Paul Gale, so I won't be surprised if this rumour turns out false.

You don't have to "not trust" me, I said it's a rumor from the start. A good chance it's not true, even, but I put it up because people wanted "in". That's all.

MisterHero

This is a crappy rumor, but the important stuff needs to be said!

If they want to make the most fun game possible they have to use the 80s Cartoon Turtles universe. They need the true voice cast and the music. Any decision to settle for other TMNT versions will only become increasingly generic and less fun.

Alternative preference for art direction:
turtlesintime.jpg

I'm sorry but I hated the Arkham games' art. :p

Busty

Banned
You don't have to "not trust" me, I said it's a rumor from the start. A good chance it's not true, even, but I put it up because people wanted "in". That's all.

What? The fact you clearly mark it as a 'rumour' doesn't mean that it's suddenly okay stick it up on your site. It's bullshit. It's no different from the nonsense that the National Inquirer sticks up week in week out.

Are you telling me that your 'journalistic integrity' is so lax and you are so desperate for page views that you'll literally stick anything on your site whether it's remotely true or not?

This would be the single best thing to occur in the past couple years of life, easily. I don't care what that says of my life :p

I really hope for your sake you are either A) joking or B) 14 years old.

What? The fact you clearly mark it as a 'rumour' doesn't mean that it's suddenly okay stick it up on your site. It's bullshit. It's no different from the nonsense that the National Inquirer sticks up week in week out.
he originally wasn't going to post it, he asked people here whether he should bother or not, we said what's the harm, speculation is fun.

And then hateful mofos like you come around reminding everyone what the "harm" is, lol. Calm yourself.

Takao

Banned

If they want to make the most fun game possible they have to use the 80s Cartoon Turtles universe. They need the true voice cast and the music. Any decision to settle for other TMNT versions will only become increasingly generic and less fun.

turtlesintime.jpg

The rumor points to Rocksteady being the developer.

Besides the only "fun" Turtles are the rinky dink 80s cartoon. The overwelming majority of the Turtles history has been a bit more serious.

If this exists I'd expect them to use a more refined version of the original comic art.

You do not know what you are talking about.

At all.

Go back to your Splinter/Shredder slash fiction.

This is total fucking NONSENSE.....

I have no doubt that somewhere in that guy's house he has a severed human head in a jar of apple juice which he tells people is a prop from Futurama.

Are you telling me that your 'journalistic integrity' is so lax and you are so desperate for page views that you'll literally stick anything on your site whether it's remotely true or not?

I really hope for your sake you are either A) joking or B) 14 years old.

Damn, someone is a little touchy about Ninja Turtle rumors.

Busty

Banned
he originally wasn't going to post it, he asked people here whether he should bother or not, we said what's the harm, speculation is fun.

And then hateful mofos like you come around reminding everyone what the "harm" is, lol. Calm yourself.

I don't understand what point you're trying to make. It's not reporting. It's fan fiction. Plain and simple. It's almost a kind of bizarro slash fiction but you're dreaming of pairing developers and IPs.

You might as well make posts about hearing 'rumours' about Naughty Dog developing a new HALO title and discuss that in depth.

It's an actual story. It's not a rumour. It's total fiction.

Yeah simmer down Busty.

Kiss me you fool.

Himself

It would suck to see such a talented developer relegated to making licensed games forever. Not everyone gives a shit about Batman, TMNT, etc. I'd love to see what Rocksteady could do with their own IP.

G-Fex

it's probably not true, I mean they've never made a serious version of a TMNT game, just arcade titles or cheap movie adaptations.

turtlesintime.jpg

I agree. The 80s cast and style is very endearing. Everything they've done since then has sucked. The games, including the first and second arcade game, were great. There's no reason Rocksteady can't take the 80s style and run with it.

Posting for no other reason than to say that I have rarely wanted a rumor to be true as badly as I do now. I can't even fathom how cool that could be. Just...fuck. Please happen.

I don't think TMNT is remotely relative enough for Rocksteady to make a big-budget game based on it. At the same time, I'd like to think anyone over the age of 20 would have a huge interest in it, so I dunno.

FoneBone

Busty may be getting a little too irate over this, but I have to agree with his "fan fiction" assessment. This is not even remotely believable.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, reeks of fakeness, especially when it panders so much to the 80's that you can tell their limited knowledge. Nick owns the license now anyway, so I really doubt they'd hand it to Rocksteady.

G-Fex

Yeah, reeks of fakeness, especially when it panders so much to the 80's that you can tell their limited knowledge. Nick owns the license now anyway, so I really doubt they'd hand it to Rocksteady.

That about clears it up.

That's fine, we can just sit back and watch the games roll in made by nick and whomever, I wonder if they'll be as amazing and original as TMNT smash up I heard about once

Keep in mind that it's not just that WB could make more money using characters they already own, the games are also great for cross promotion (directly and less directly). WB sells Arkham City comic books and toys, etc.

Plus, the game's success and profile also has to help promote all things Batman for WB/DC like the mainline Batman comics, movies, cartoons, lunchboxes, t-shirts, etc.

Why would WB want to put their best studio on a license they would have to pay for and couldn't reap any additional benefits from? Why would they want to strengthen a key rival's IP at the expense of their own (opportunity cost)?

Makes zero sense.

Takao

Banned
I agree. The 80s cast and style is very endearing. Everything they've done since then has sucked. The games, including the first and second arcade game, were great. There's no reason Rocksteady can't take the 80s style and run with it.

dat nostalgia

or sarcasm

I'm hoping sarcasm.

I would like the 80's cast of villains mixed in with the 2K3/Comic more serious type characters. Best of both worlds.

A cel shaded 80's game sounds good but we will never ever get that.

ArjanN

dat nostalgia

or sarcasm

I'm hoping sarcasm.

tumblr_lxp6pnVxox1qk1b6po1_500.png

The 80s cartoon was made overly kidfriendly and clearly cut corners animation wise all the time, but I still prefer the designs of that to anything that came after.
The first live-action TMNT movie was actually pretty dark in tone. (bad acting aside)

Hell, half the Batman villains are just as silly as anything in TMNT.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The first TMNT movie was an amalgamation of comics and the 80's show, that's why it worked.

Also I find it weird that I am subscribed to two TMNT threads.

Top Bottom