• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2015 Discussion Thread

Sanjuro

I had a ton of fun this year, despite not having any huge must play game. A lot of small surprises in the indies as usual.

Def. a lot less big games and developers. A ton more smaller ones. Some really cool small games I hadn't seen before and am now looking forward to.

I was also surprised how many of the large booths were hardware (Gigabyte, MSI) and/or service companies (Youtube). It was like someone smushed CES and an indie game jam together.

I am hoping the reduction I am seeing is due to GDC overlap and not a sign of less industry support at the event.

Outside of the IHV booths, there really aren't a lot of games per se showing at GDC, either. If anything I would think small devs would be more affected by the scheduling as they don't have separate marketing and dev departments, with dev going to GDC and marketing to consumer conventions. On the other hand smaller devs don't have huge travel budgets, so perhaps it's moot.

I was out at GDC all week, flew back Fri, day of rest, then down to PAX on Sun with the family. That plus day light savings == brutal.

Other than drinkbox and Nintendo, I think seeing the professional Overwatch cosplay folks play Star Wars dancing on the big side stage was the hilarious highlight of the con.

Patryn

Thanks for another awesome year, Boston and Boston-GAF, always great to visit your city, even if your drivers want too kill me!

Will have a few pics when I get home.

I live in the area, and even I have to admit that the police were doing a TERRIBLE job directing traffic around the BCEC. Seriously, I'm hard-pressed to know how they could have done a worse job.

It really looked like they had no real game plan and no communication and were just winging it.

Sanjuro

I live in the area, and even I have to admit that the police were doing a TERRIBLE job directing traffic around the BCEC. Seriously, I'm hard-pressed to know how they could have done a worse job.

It really looked like they had no real game plan and no communication and were just winging it.

The drivers weren't doing much favors for themselves either. Never seen road rage that condensed over a period of days.

Not sure if this will help. At Pax on Friday AM, I found a Sandisk Ultra 8GB Micro sd card and adapter on the show floor. Looks to be a Georgia Tech student. Is this anyone's on Gaf?

If you think it may be yours please let me know some images that may be on it, if it is in fact yours I'll ship it out to you. Just don't want someone to lose a ton of pictures.

Hope to find who's it is.

Jhoan

I've had one whirlwind of a day seeing a bunch of stuff. It's my final night in Boston before I go back to NYC tomorrow. Had the pleasure of taking the T and it was good. Very fast and clean unlike the MTA. Love this damn city so I'm gonna miss it. Shout out to Sanjuro, Sober, Bearcatjosh, and Omega Squash/his wife. You guys live in a great city.

Mully, it was great to see you as always. You're a bro and a charming devil. I'll see you at the inevitable NYC GAF meet up whenever I get around to organizing one.

@gameongreggy, tweet at PAX East. Maybe it'll get legs there.

I've had one whirlwind of a day seeing a bunch of stuff. It's my final night in Boston before I go back to NYC tomorrow. Had the pleasure of taking the T and it was good. Very fast and clean unlike the MTA. Love this damn city so I'm gonna miss it. Shout out to Sanjuro, Sober, Bearcatjosh, and Omega Squash/his wife. You guys live in a great city.

Sober lives in Toronto though

naeS

PAX was awesome. Would do again. The lines aren't my thing though, but they are a necessary evil. I enjoyed the panels alot, and got to see some new stuff before the mass public so that was cool. The Witcher panel was tops for me out of all of them.

Thanks to ActStriker, Sober, Falk, and OmegaSqaush. The mini-meetup was great!

Jhoan

Huh, most folks here would beg to differ. I guess it could be much worse, though.
Well there are dumb things about it such as why the ticket machine wouldn't take nickels but took dimes which is so arbitrary. At least the Metrocard machine takes all change regardless. I also saw a girl flip the bird at a train conductor, curse him out, and bang on the door to try to coax him to open the door while the boyfriend wagged some dollar bills in front of the train when I got off at the Boston Common station. Pretty sure she was drunk but pretty sure that's common here and I've seen much worse in the NYC subways.

@ActStriker, I know Sober is from TO hence why I gave him a quick shout out. ;)

It was nice meeting you too!

You as well and everyone from the meet up. I wish I was able to stay longer for the second meet up, but my friend wanted to drive back home together so we left right after Pax but it was super cool meeting everyone. I wish I was still able to drink but it is what it is haha. I hope we can do this again next year.

Next Pax, I'm definitely going to plan better so I can at least have a hotel to stay at and my tickets in tow.

This year's Pax, being my first was a fun experience.

I would say most of the Pros was definitely the tourneys going on. The Halo finals was anti-climaxtic as I was already briefed that EG wins everything so they were going to win hands down. They did so yeah, but at least I got to meet a bunch of huge popular gaming streamers and gaming personalities.

The indie booth was pretty much the best. I loved all the ones I played including finally being able to us Oculus. I'm a believer of VR now because of it so I'm probably going to look to buy one. Other than that, the cosplayers were really amazing.

Cons mostly are in due to the traffic and lines. A whole day can be wasted on one booth which sucked. I think that they should of cut down demo times so a lot more people could play. 15-30 each was just way to much time for one person to play one game. It was kind of ridiculous. A personal con was not being able to attend any of the panels :( but that's all due to better planning next year for sure. And that's about it.

So hopefully I will see all next year or even Pax Prime if I get the chance. If anyone is going to Comic Con NYC, I will be there as well. Once again, it was nice meeting you all!

Jhoan

You as well and everyone from the meet up. I wish I was able to stay longer for the second meet up, but my friend wanted to drive back home together so we left right after Pax but it was super cool meeting everyone. I wish I was still able to drink but it is what it is haha. I hope we can do this again next year.

Next Pax, I'm definitely going to plan better so I can at least have a hotel to stay at and my tickets in tow.

This year's Pax, being my first was a fun experience.

I would say most of the Pros was definitely the tourneys going on. The Halo finals was anti-climaxtic as I was already briefed that EG wins everything so they were going to win hands down. They did so yeah, but at least I got to meet a bunch of huge popular gaming streamers and gaming personalities.

The indie booth was pretty much the best. I loved all the ones I played including finally being able to us Oculus. I'm a believer of VR now because of it so I'm probably going to look to buy one. Other than that, the cosplayers were really amazing.

Cons mostly are in due to the traffic and lines. A whole day can be wasted on one booth which sucked. I think that they should of cut down demo times so a lot more people could play. 15-30 each was just way to much time for one person to play one game. It was kind of ridiculous. A personal con was not being able to attend any of the panels :( but that's all due to better planning next year for sure. And that's about it.

So hopefully I will see all next year or even Pax Prime if I get the chance. If anyone is going to Comic Con NYC, I will be there as well. Once again, it was nice meeting you all!
You had my attention but now you have my interest. I've worked at NY Comic Con for 4 straight years and plan on returning again this year. Ideally I would love to get a table at Artist Alley this year if I don't return as Crew. NY Comic Con is gargantuan in size compared to PAX East but I'm sure you'll survive. GAF meet ups are always fun as well if we get around to organizing one. You can ask me anything about NYCC.

Glad you had fun either way. I think I'm gonna return again next year assuming the changes that life throws align. Still in Boston at the Westin but will be heading back to NYC in a couple of hours as an Enforcer is my ride back. I really don't want to go back to NYC but alas, I have a life to lead there, stuff to do once I get back and whatnot. Would love to do Prime if I have the finances/time for it.

SOME-MIST

you betchya. doug tennapel (skullmonkeys, the neverhood, earthworm jim). it's a spiritual successor to the neverhood and was developed via claymation.

the PAX demo is supposed to be the same beta going out to backers.... but we still haven't gotten any info on how to access it :[

Jhoan

It was the 'You guys live in a great city.' part which I though referred to Boston
Sorry for being vague on that, I meant to say you GAF members that live there. I'm gonna miss all those brick buildings and awkward streets. There's so much to see including outer Boston areas that I would like to visit someday.

I did have the OG Boston Cream Pie at the shop attached to the Omni Parker House and it was absolutely amazing. Too bad I didn't have seafood or the lobster sandwich or Sam Adams beer but eh, the pie was so good to go out with.

On my back to NY. In CT now. I have a mountain of League of Legends skin codes to give away and I have no idea how I'm going to do that since it's going to an eternity to photograph and distribute. They expire on March 13th. Any ideas on how to go about doing that?

Edwardo

I have a mountain of League of Legends skin codes to give away and I have no idea how I'm going to do that since it's going to an eternity to photograph and distribute. They expire on March 13th. Any ideas on how to go about doing that?

If you want to type em out and drop em in the League thread, I'm sure many would appreciate it. You could also take pictures of each code and upload them to an imgur album or something.

Mully

Sorry for being vague on that, I meant to say you GAF members that live there. I'm gonna miss all those brick buildings and awkward streets. There's so much to see including outer Boston areas that I would like to visit someday.

I did have the OG Boston Cream Pie at the shop attached to the Omni Parker House and it was absolutely amazing. Too bad I didn't have seafood or the lobster sandwich or Sam Adams beer but eh, the pie was so good to go out with.

On my back to NY. In CT now. I have a mountain of League of Legends skin codes to give away and I have no idea how I'm going to do that since it's going to an eternity to photograph and distribute. They expire on March 13th. Any ideas on how to go about doing that?

No idea about the codes man.

I really did appreciate those comments earlier man. I wasn't feeling too great about myself today, so it was good seeing that. Thank you.

It's always good seeing you. You're adventurous and pretty open. I hope you had a good time at the enforcer party. It sounds like you stayed the night. Enjoy the trip home.

Gaston

This was my first PAX and I had a blast! It was a way better atmosphere than most other cons I have attended. I will be definitely going again next year if I can get a ticket.

My only regrets are not being able to get a second HotS beta key for my friend (lines were crazy Sunday) and being line capped from playing Overwatch and Splatoon on Sunday (despite arriving at 8 am =| )

Gvaz

Banned
If you came by tabletop at all during the mornings, then you saw mr Gvaz the tabletop hq librarian :)

I hope I helped you all out!

Also: I have obtained oh about...50ish League of Legends Arclight Vel'koz skin codes

They expire on the 13th of this month. If you PM me asking for one, I likely will not give you anything but coal in your stocking.

DTJAAAAM

Didn't really see anyone from GAF this year, and since I pretty much just went to take photos, had a bad time due to camera malfunctions. I said I wouldn't go back last year, but ended up returning to stay busy, so I'm sure I'm likely to do it again next year. XD

A few of the costumes I really liked:

vylZHz7.jpg
ykBFD0S.jpg

3XFzaGn.jpg
jVjymhl.jpg

1h3E7pL.jpg
PcvvVnR.jpg

nFFeXeW.jpg
PzJySrR.jpg

hZ0sBEW.jpg
dzMINCA.jpg

Pa6LtTP.jpg
Qw6j1RV.jpg

QvZjLgI.jpg

4Ft7Q7M.jpg

twXFANP.jpg

YFYnQrY.jpg

QS5hC6z.jpg

2V0GqBY.jpg

cYmNGEe.jpg

Everything else I photographed:

PAX East 2015

Jhoan

No idea about the codes man.

I really did appreciate those comments earlier man. I wasn't feeling too great about myself today, so it was good seeing that. Thank you.

It's always good seeing you. You're adventurous and pretty open. I hope you had a good time at the enforcer party. It sounds like you stayed the night. Enjoy the trip home.
I've been doling out the codes left and right on Twitter suddenly gaining droves of new followers in the process. While I can easily monetize them on eBay as my brother was suggesting, I'm choosing to follow Wheaton's Rule instead.

You're welcome. I go through that regularly; insecurities about not having enough money, doubts about paying off my tuition; career stuff; social life. When that does happen, I remind myself who I am, what I'm good at, what I currently have going on, and realize that I'm in good position that not many people have the luxury of having and will eventually get out of it. If it's one mantra, I live by it's saying fuck it and follow my heart wherever it wants to go. Staying that extra day despite losing money was one of them.

It was all in that departing wink man. One does not easily forget a sassy wink. You got the eye of a hot shot journalist in the making all right. ;)

If you came by tabletop at all during the mornings, then you saw mr Gvaz the tabletop hq librarian :)

I hope I helped you all out!

Also: I have obtained oh about...50ish League of Legends Arclight Vel'koz skin codes

They expire on the 13th of this month. If you PM me asking for one, I likely will not give you anything but coal in your stocking.
I was waiting for you to pop in. I have well over 100 (150?). Have given a ton out via Twitter and gained a bunch of followers in the process. Not cool? Getting added on Facebook by them since I find that a bit creepy and will ignore requests. Still, it's been fun doling them out and getting entertaining/thank you reply tweets. Didn't run into you this time since I was working at Albatross but I hope you had fun and got some sweet swag.
Didn't really see anyone from GAF this year, and since I pretty much just went to take photos, had a bad time due to camera malfunctions. I said I wouldn't go back last year, but ended up returning to stay busy, so I'm sure I'm likely to do it again next year. XD
You didn't see anyone but I sure did see you on Sunday while I was talking to bearcatjosh. I think you briefly made eye contact with me before you kept on walking. Was gonna stop you but it looked like you were on a mission so I let you be. I'll see you next tiem you're in NYC possibly during NYCC. And I totally know that feel about camera issues; my mirrorless camera's charge broke so I spent the entire PAX weekend taking pictures with my phone to the best of my ability. The default S3's camera app sucks but I got some pretty solid photos otherwise of both cosplayers and other stuff.

About several hours into getting home, I absolutely enjoyed this PAX East moreso than last year's by virtue of being more familiar with the city, Enforcers, and staying for more days. I think it was a good vacation as I got something out of it but I can't point my finger on what. Maybe it was a mix of something personal and intrinsic.

Will I be back next year? Depending on what curve balls life throws me, I certainly would love to return. PAX Prime is probably not gonna be in my foreseeable future since that's a bit of a heftier amount of money to pay as much as I would love to see Seattle so we'll see.

Working as an Enforcer is easily one of the best and most rewarding convention jobs I've ever had so I couldn't have it any other way. It feels like a community/family within a job which is why I was always hungry for more work. It always stuns me how people come all from all walks of life and all types of day jobs to dedicate time to it which is part of the reason why I keep working at conventions as a side thing. I'll post some pics later on today.

Hey, can anyone say whats up on the undead labs booth? I know they got State of Decay Remaster on the line, but there any info on the MMO like sequel?

Jhoan

You actually can't sell LoL codes on ebay, they'll turn the auction off

Which is all the more of a reason I'm spreading the code love. I learned that firsthand several months ago during an entirely separate incident.

@RodrigoDorta, I remember hearing something about that as well but didn't pass by the booth to talk to the devs. Maybe a few other GAF members can add more information.

Sanjuro

stop touching shit and then your face. also bring hand sanitizer spray

I mean, that is a method. Unless you're in a bubble there is simply no way to avoid other people.

Even at the bar, we had to make out with everyone to talk.

TheGrue

I've been to 8 PAX Primes, 1 PAX East, and 1 PAX South, and I've never gotten sick. Don't bring hand sanitizer or anything. I have the immune system of a god, though.

DarkKyo

I've been to 8 PAX Primes, 1 PAX East, and 1 PAX South, and I've never gotten sick. Don't bring hand sanitizer or anything. I have the immune system of a god, though.

As long as you try to wash your hands a few times a day and be sure not to touch your mouth, nose, or eyes you will probably be okay, barring someone sneezing directly around you. I think I got away without getting anything btw.

Sanjuro

I've been every year, I think it might be my second time. I've not been this sick in a very long time.

Big Trouble in Little China is on, so at least I've got that going for me.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm going to try to get tickets to PAX Prime this year. Will be my first video games conference, so I'm pretty excited to check it out.

The girlfriend will be coming with my to Seattle, so I'm not sure a 4 day pass is the right way to go.

If I go for 1 or 2 days, what would be the best days to attend? Saturday/Sunday?

Looks like I missed quite a few meetups...didn't do a great job of monitoring the thread during the show!

Anyway, I'm definitely getting sick today. I felt it a bit yesterday too but I woke up this morning and my sinuses are a mess. Toto Temple Deluxe makes everything worth it!

Mully

I'm going to try to get tickets to PAX Prime this year. Will be my first video games conference, so I'm pretty excited to check it out.

The girlfriend will be coming with my to Seattle, so I'm not sure a 4 day pass is the right way to go.

If I go for 1 or 2 days, what would be the best days to attend? Saturday/Sunday?

I'd recommend Saturday and Monday. Saturday is crowded, but normally has the best panels. Monday is the least crowded so it'd be the best day for you and your GF to see the demos you missed on Saturday. Outside the convention there's so much to do.

Seattle is the perfect city to visit for young couples. Lots to do. Beautiful views. Great places to eat and drink. Public transit is easy to use, and the bus system is surprisingly efficient and fast.

Has anyone seen any of the Gaming on Youtube panels posted anywhere? I really wanted to attend on of them as I want to start hitting up Youtube, but was so busy taking focus and doing interviews.

:(

Davey Cakes

Saturday is easily the best day for PAX East.

I really want to grab Saturday tickets next time. Should probably mark my calendar or something.

When do tickets usually go on sale?

Top Bottom