• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2015 Discussion Thread

So sad I missed this year, everyone seems to be having such fun. If anyone's hitting up Ronimo's booth today (Swords & Soldiers 2 on Wii U, Awesomenauts) mind grabbing one of those free Scoops skins codes for me? Would be rad if you were planning on swinging by and it would make my day~! <3

I def should save up for '16..

I actually turned down a ticket for yesterday so I could go to a party, but I'm finally headed down today. Right now, actually. I shouldn't be hard to find if anyone is around.

Edit: Sad I missed the meet up this year, last year was a blast.

Jhoan

I'm at the PAXmania panel now if anyone is here as well. Loving it so far. Leaning against the rightmost wall next to a bald Enforcer with shorts.

Frostburn

So Troy Baker during the Gearbox panel just very heavily hinted at a new Brothers in Arms game during the Tales from the Borderlands segment.

Sigfodr

About to head down, but one of our party is short a pass for today. Anyone know about how much we should expect to spend? Thanks!

Mully

My hangover cure this morning:

Salt water and sugar.
Beef jerky.
Temperpedic pillow top bed - my airBnB host is a saint.

Sanjuro

I'm feeling great today! Jimmy Johns has now taken control of my body.

Not sure what to do. I'm in line for cost check right now. I hope I get some swag!

Jhoan

I left the Expo Floor to meet up with a friend. Will be back shortly. Shout out to Adam from Robot Entertainment for hooking me up with a scarf. Saw Sober on the floor.

About to head down, but one of our party is short a pass for today. Anyone know about how much we should expect to spend? Thanks!

Damn, wish I had better connection in the building
My bro bailed and left his pass, would have sold it for cost

The scalpers charge like $60+ I think , lol there are 3 and they go up and down that straight way walk

Chucker

Throwing my name in the pile if anybody happened to get a Smite EA code at the booth for Xbox One. My friends who went didn't go today, so looks like I gojnd out too late.

Sounds like it was a good show this year.

Falk

that puzzling face
A surprise winner for me this PAX East is Galak-Z. Devs weren't at PAX (demo is part of Access Games booth and playable mission loop) but it's something I never realized I wanted till I played it.

Reminder: if you want to get hot pot as a post PAX dinner, meet up after the expo Hall closes by the bathrooms in the lobby. I'm wearing a New England Revolution Diego Fagundez #14 jersey and flatbrim. It's a blue shirt, and I'm the only one I've seen wearing something like this.

We'll hang around for a half hour or so before heading out

Mully

Reminder: if you want to get hot pot as a post PAX dinner, meet up after the expo Hall closes by the bathrooms in the lobby. I'm wearing a New England Revolution Diego Fagundez #14 jersey and flatbrim. It's a blue shirt, and I'm the only one I've seen wearing something like this.

We'll hang around for a half hour or so before heading out

What time?

Frostburn

Oculus Rift Crescent Bay impressions:

I was able to register through their app on Thursday for a chance to try it out today at 3:00, once I got there I just needed to give them my name and waited with about 7 others for a room to open up.

Each demo room had a door and computer monitor with a person inside helping you put them on and supervise the whole thing. They fit really easily over my glasses but I did have some room on the bottom where if I looked hard enough I could see some light leak. They were comfortable for the whole demo though and I had no sort of eye strain or motion sickness at all.

All of the demos were non-interactive as far as controls went, it was just the VR headset and headphones. They showed a few small segments at the start like a dinosaur rendered and animated in a black room, a colorful cartoonish style world with a small fox, dear and rabbit around a camp fire. They had a good demo with a small cartoonish world that looked like the whole thing could sit on a table, planes flying and taking off from an airport and cars driving around the streets, really felt like something you would want to reach out and touch and interact with. Another demo had a mirror and your face reacted in it but kept changing to different masks and things, their was a little shelf below the mirror with some apples in a bowl and I wanted to grab those too, the immersion level is really quite good. The last demo was a UT4 engine segment with futuristic police shooting at a huge mech in the middle of a city street with bullets flying by in slow motion and rockets exploding things, it was really amazing and playing a first person shooter like that would be crazy. My favorite demo was a sort of Bioshock Infinite type city at night and you were standing on a tower and could step to the ledge of the platform and see the whole city below and air blimps flying around.

The whole thing left me wanting more interaction but the fidelity and immersion are their, now we just need a retail release to really get the support rolling. I'd highly recommend checking it out if you can, download that app on your phone if you plan on attending any events they'll be at, the line if you didn't pre-register seemed crazy long and they were only giving those people demos of the Samsung Gear VR headset.

Eve Valkyrie is the truth with Oculus, the other two VR demos I played (Race the Sun & Harmonic's music VR) were actually really disappointing in terms of fidelity. I was about to come in here and give Oculus a bad review before Intel saved the day.

Axiom Verge is a serviceable Metroid clone. I got wrecked in Halo 5 by a bunch of 15 year olds, the game is almost distractingly fast at 60 fps. Elite Dangerous is amazingly fun to play with a fight stick + thrusters, it was my first time and it was very intuitive. You only had a 50/50 chance of getting a VR round with Elite and I didn't get lucky. :/

Fable Legends looked gorgeous. Smite, FF T0HD, and Splatoon looked fun. It was really strange seeing such a huge queue for a Nintendo shooter after their virtual no show last year. Overwatch was popular, but it looks very derivative of every cel shaded shooter from the last 10 years imo.

My feet are killing me so I don't think I'm going to stick around for dinner. Have fun everyone!

Edit: Dead Years was a basic zombie open world game. Nice foliage I guess, but the demo was janky and short. You get a dog at least.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Eve Valkyrie is the truth with Oculus
YES YES YES
IT IS THE TRUTH

I'm so glad people are actually getting to play this, it is hands down the thing that makes VR legitimate, no questions asked.

I wanna play this on the new kits so bad.

IF YOU GO TO PAX, TRY EVE VALK. PERIOD.

Sanjuro

First year I've had a seat at the Omegathon finale. Body is absolutely done, back keeps locking on me.

Anyone who encountered me in the past hour, I apologize for being dead.

Tawpgun

s0dX0yP.jpg

HCS was awesome. The losers bracket final between CLG and NB was probably the most insane series I've seen in competetive Halo ever.

Tawpgun

I regret not getting into this more. Most I did halo related was play H5 a couple times.
Was def worth it.
It was my main draw from pax east.

For this who don't kmow, Noble Black, the 8 seed, went up 2-0 in the series with some insanely close matches. CLG the number 2 seed came back in some really close games too. It came down to game 5 slayer on shrine. Which then proceeded to go into 4 overtime rounds

Oppo

YES YES YES
IT IS THE TRUTH

I'm so glad people are actually getting to play this, it is hands down the thing that makes VR legitimate, no questions asked.

I wanna play this on the new kits so bad.

IF YOU GO TO PAX, TRY EVE VALK. PERIOD.

Yes. This was standout.

Super duper Colony Wars VR. Godlike.

Kilrathi

Splatoon was the E3 2014 demo but it still looked really nice and ran smooth as butter. I'm a bit more hyped now.
The demo looked like the e3 2014 demo, I wasn't going wait in line for a good part of the day to play it since I played it last year at e3. I spent most of my time checking out indie games out and meeting up fellow developers

Jhoan

So full after hot pot tonight. Just realized we didn't actually take a picture of our meet up!
Eh, some events are best left undocumented. This was one of them. Hopefully you guys had fun. I'm in the Westin at the moment since I don't want to go back to my hotel with a friend. Will eventually walk it back.

I had a pretty fun time this year.
I raise you: I got most of the cards signed save for Dave Lang, Dan Ryckert, and one of the ladies who's name escapes me. I think it was Lisa.

This year was too fun, and also helped to demonstrate my limits. I was so tired that I couldn't have made hot-pot. A little troublesome, but whatever. Friday and Saturday were baller.

I had tons of fun playing the indies, and have pretty much scoped out a budget for buying everything I want. Here's to next year not being so early/daylight savings/cold tho, eh?

Tawpgun

Yeah this PAX weekend was bad timing for me also.

1. Didn't get PAX passes in time before they sold out (jesus christ that selling window is small as fuck)

2. Girlfriends senior recital was a Friday so I couldn't go on that day unless I skipped work which I didn't bother doing because I was still looking for passes.

3. Her family was in town so I basically spent some time with them and some time at PAX.

Hoping I can get passes next year and it falls on a better weekend. And hopefully I'll still be in Boston next year because im graduating this december lol

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Thanks to those that stopped by the Orcs Must Die booth at PAX East this year. Great seeing a few GAFers while out in Boston!

Sober

Thanks for another awesome year, Boston and Boston-GAF, always great to visit your city, even if your drivers want too kill me!

Will have a few pics when I get home.

Mully

It was great seeing you all again. PAX is always an interesting and extremely fun experience. I always leave here with a new story and new friends.

Everyone get home safe!

Top Bottom