• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamers Assemble, Let's Demand PC Ports From Sega!

aeolist

Banned
Well I'm not banned yet and this has been on the top of the front page since I posted it ;)

there were plenty of threads asking for dark souls on pc, it's part of the reason why it happened

also is there anyone specifically we can tweet at about this, a pr or community person at sega?

Protein

Banned
tumblr_lopvdqzV4n1qlctfho1_500.gif

PORT EVERYTHING!!!

It would be more revenue for Sega. And many of us (such as myself) will gladly double dip.

there were plenty of threads asking for dark souls on pc, it's part of the reason why it happened

also is there anyone specifically we can tweet at about this, a pr or community person at sega?

Does anyone know the twitter accounts of some community managers?

Did they fully fix the mouse controls? I have the game, but I despise poor M/KB controls.

Not completely, no. Aiming is wonky and the key placements are not intuitive at all.

I had to play with M/KB because the game doesn't recognize third party 360 controllers, and it was not the ideal experience.

Could have choosen Yakuza.
I'm happier with Binary, as it's a single entry and not just some lone entry in the middle of a series that otherwise has no context on the platform. That, and because it's one of the most fun TPS of the last generation; I'm far more satisfied with getting Binary as it's one I'll be replaying a few times in the future, Vanquish not so much.

I have some difficulties understanding why some cult titles aren't brought to PC.
Being "cult" games, they would have a free big marketing push from the fans (see PC Dark Souls), which would rise significantly their possibility to turn into positive conversion ventures.

Japanese companies are really missing here, "withdrawing" franchises into handhelds territory (usually japanese only too) without considering the potential market on PC. Like Valkyria Chronicles: I can see it doing decently on PC (unless the conversion is technically challenging and thus expensive), with also the help-push from the recent success of another big turn based game, XCOM that is (which I consider terrible, but that's another story). Maybe with the PC revenue it wouldn't be a handheld franchise now.

Please don't ban me :(
Well, most Japanese developers/publishers aren't into PC game development because there's not much of a market for PC games. In Sega's case, the problem is that a lot of these games came out years ago and didn't really light the world on fire, even though they've got sustained fanbases and interest. So from their POV, it might not be worth the time and money to port old games to PC. That's why focusing on a game like Valkyria Chronicles or Bayonetta, a game that has gotten sequel at least one sequel, would probably be the best way to succeed.

Grief.exe

JP Kellams
https://twitter.com/PG_jp

probably/hopefully going to redirect you to someone at Sega who has a twitter account

Remember his GAF name by chance as well?

I think the last thing JP wants is another person asking them about SEGA ports of their old games.

Their official line is pester Sega about those various requests, which is the main ideology behind this campaign. Would love to get his input though on who we should contact within Sega to do the most damage.

Maligna

Banned
Still need that Phantasy Star Online 2 in North America....

But this won't happen because Sega always does the opposite of what we want.

Grief.exe

You can disable that annoying notifications...

I've never had too much of an issue with them since they drop into my social box on gmail and I've never had more than 10 retweets.

I don't remember my twitter account. So I may have to make a new one for this.

Get your password and make a new one Baikal, this cause is too important!

Still need that Phantasy Star Online 2 in North America....

But this won't happen because Sega always does the opposite of what we want.

We need to convince the higher ups in Japan that there is a demand and things will happen.
We run into the same exact issues with Square, Konami, and Capcom, the Japanese branches just don't believe that people are playing games on any platform except for mobile.

We need some SEGA community managers! Where are they hiding?!

Yes, the more the better.

PlatinumGamesJP

PlatinumGamesJP
Like said before, I think PG with the recent trends is our best bet, Bayonetta in particular (which could also fit well with the recent Wii U port request for the game).

Thanks guys.

Grief.exe

I'm struggling to wrap my head around why this has had such a postive reception on GAF and Twitter, but the complete opposite reaction on Reddit.

I am struggling to get upvotes.

robin2

Well, most Japanese developers/publishers aren't into PC game development because there's not much of a market for PC games.
There's not in Japan maybe, but outside of Japan? I have no concrete data so I can't say objectively, but I think that outside of Japan there could very well be market on PC for Japanese games. At least for cult titles.
It would be almost assuredly smaller than the console counterpart, yet it could be worthy.

Does anyone know something about the performance of Ys titles on Steam? We all know that Dark Souls did well enough.

Where were you guys when I was asking Sega for ports the day MGR became available on Steam!?

Anyway this is good, now I won't be the only person tweeting them :p

Mechazawa

Their official line is pester Sega about those various requests, which is the main ideology behind this campaign. Would love to get his input though on who we should contact within Sega to do the most damage.

I understand that, but in another thread you mentioned something to the effect of "getting him in" on the campaign and I really don't think he's going to want to get involved in this in any capacity beyond telling you to go through official channels.

Not three weeks ago he was admonishing people constantly coming into the PG facebook asking for ports of Bayonetta 2. Putting his stamp on something like this would probably give off the impression of a conflict of interest or something along those lines.

I'm struggling to wrap my head around why this has had such a postive reception on GAF and Twitter, but the complete opposite reaction on Reddit.

I am struggling to get upvotes.
Reddit doesn't like Japanese media?

There's not in Japan maybe, but outside of Japan? I have no concrete data so I can't say objectively, but I think that outside of Japan there could very well be market on PC for Japanese games. At least for cult titles.
It would be almost assuredly smaller than the console counterpart, yet it could be worthy.
Japanese executives have a hard time wrapping their heads around cultural and market differences between Japan and the rest of the planet, so it's not surprising that they haven't even considered PC ports for cult titles.

Also, they have this weird "well, we'd rather make no money from the west" attitude that shows up a lot, since they don't like putting their stuff up on services like iTunes for people outside Japan to buy.

Dascu

Does anyone know something about the performance of Ys titles on Steam?
We all know that Dark Souls did well enough.
I heard they did very, very well. Relatively speaking for the publisher/type of game, of course.

Either way, Steam sales have given many games legs way after their normal retail or console expiration date. It often seems worth the investment, unless it's using some really arcane console-specific engine.

Snakeyes

I understand that, but in another thread you mentioned something to the effect of "getting him in" on the campaign and I really don't think he's going to want to get involved in this in any capacity beyond telling you to go through official channels.

Not three weeks ago he was admonishing people constantly coming into the PG facebook asking for ports of Bayonetta 2. Putting his stamp on something like this would probably give off the impression of a conflict of interest or something along those lines.

Bayonetta 2 is funded by Nintendo. These are multiplats.

Grief.exe

I found Kellie as well, already sent her a Tweet.

I just meant his input, not necessarily for him to beat the drum.

Mechazawa

Bayonetta 2 is funded by Nintendo. These are multiplats.

That's not the point. The point is I don't think he wants, as a sort of representative to the company, to look like he's actively advocating for port requests.

It's doesn't matter anyway since it doesn't look like Grief is interested in doing that.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
More like Petition Port Begging Race am I right guys?

Retweeted and following, I would pay full price for Valkyria Chronicles on PC! If at least one of the games mentioned in this thread gets ported I would be happy.

Amazing how most/all of the tweets appear to be unique tweeters this time around. Certainly a breath of fresh air after my experiences with other Twitter campaigns that were a circlejerk of the same 25 or so people tweeting over and over again.

Let's do everything we can to increase exposure and keep this train steady.

NothingStopsThisTrain.gif

Bayonetta - There is a dearth of character action games available right now and Rising, a Platinum game in a similar vein to Bayonetta, was the top seller for 48 hours during the Steam sale on its debut.
Vanquish - 120 FPS, do I need say more?
Valkyria Chronicles - Strategy RPGs are the platform's bread and butter
Resonance of Fate - The FFVII and FFVIII releases on Steam have sold quite well despite not being the best of ports and so late. The battle system for this game seems well-suited for higher frame rates.

With the exception of VC, I don't think any of these are great ideas for Sega from a monetary perspective. Vanquish, Resonance, and Bayonetta were all multi-platform releases and didn't light the sales charts on fire when they were new so expecting that they'd do better several years later on PC seems risky. And in the case of Resonance of Fate, it doesn't even have critical acclaim in its favor (although it does have some diehard fans). And seriously trying to extrapolate sales from FF7 & FF8 is ridiculous - those are two of the best-selling games in one of the best selling RPG series of all time; of course, they're going to sell well on any platform they're on.

Valkryia Chronicles, on the other hand, makes a lot of sense if it's not too hard to port. It's a strategy game which is a genre that tends to sell best on the PC, it's critically acclaimed, and it's an exclusive that was only released on the PS3 back when the PS3 was the least popular platform around.

Oh yeah.

I really hope we can keep this going actively. If it just goes for a day or 2 or 3 and then stops, it will get us nowhere, but if it goes for a long time I'd say there's a shot seeing how Sega is focusing on PC more and more.

Mechazawa

With the exception of VC, I don't think any of these are great ideas for Sega from a monetary perspective. Vanquish, Resonance, and Bayonetta were all multi-platform releases and didn't light the sales charts on fire when they were new so expecting that they'd do better several years later on PC seems risky. And in the case of Resonance of Fate, it doesn't even have critical acclaim in its favor (although it does have some diehard fans). And seriously trying to extrapolate sales from FF7 & FF8 is ridiculous - those are two of the best-selling games in one of the best selling RPG series of all time; of course, they're going to sell well on any platform they're on.

Valkryia Chronicles, on the other hand, makes a lot of sense if it's not too hard to port. It's a strategy game which is a genre that tends to sell best on the PC, it's critically acclaimed, and it's an exclusive that was only released on the PS3 back when the PS3 was the least popular platform around.

Neither Bayonetta or Vanquish seemed to have out and out bombed the way something, like, say, Anarchy Reigns did, though. And both at least have a lot of word of mouth and momentum going for them.

They may not be Dark Souls money-in-the-pocket, but if you told me fucking Rising would be a number one top seller on Steam a few weeks ago I would have laughed you off, since it didn't sound like that was some incredible chart burner in NA either.

Top Bottom