• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC World Struggles To Build PC for $500 to match XOX

sleepnaught

Dont know about $15 but I've used a $30 400w EVGA PSU in a few builds for my boss and family and its worked perfectly. Got an i5+GTX 760 in my mom's computer and it has zero issues.

Gestault

Dont know about $15 but I've used a $30 400w EVGA PSU in a few builds for my boss and family and its worked perfectly. Got an i5+GTX 760 in my mom's computer and it has zero issues.

That's not bad, actually. I've liked EVGA stuff, though I tend to over-spec on power supplies (I've known enough people who had bad experiences where more expensive parts got damaged as a result), so I'm less familiar with parts in that range.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
XboneX buffer needs to be used to store game state AND rendering assets. On PC the video buffer stores rendering assets and system ram stores state and likely an asset cache.

The end result is that it's unlikely that you'll see any issues in games running at xbone levels and performance targets on pc with a system running 8 gigs of system ram plus 6 or more of vram.

While the OS and recording game video feature will take up some resources, basically the games on the XB1X have 12GB RAM shared for the CPU and GPU (9GB for games) and the PC in this example has 8GB system RAM and 6GB that's tied to the GPU, for a 14GB total.

The PS4 and Xbox One consoles have unified memory pools, this is a combination of system memory and graphics memory in one place, meanwhile PCs with discrete GPUs have split memory pools, the system memory and the graphics memory.

-snip-

If there is anything you'd like to add or if you think I'm wrong about something please feel free to correct me.

Nothing to add, correct. I legit wanted to know how it works. Thanks for the responses.

fermcr

With store prices, we can build a similar PC to Xbox One X for $600... that means that a big company like Microsoft, that purchase their components in bulk, will get much cheaper prices. Wouldn't be surprised If Microsoft could manufacture a XB1X below $350.

Honestly, I think Microsoft are making money on the Xbox One X from the get go.

Emulators and free online are irrelevant. This is about price/performance.

Online should be factored into the price but yeah everyone has a different view on that.

For performance, you could build a 500 dollar PC that runs games at 60fps that the xbox one cant run.

Will all 4k 30fps Xbox games also run at 1080p 60fps? I know plenty of people that would choose the performance of 1080p 60fps.

jroc74

A $15 PSU for a $200 1070?????

Pffffffffft
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This is the best shit I've read all week

It boggles my mind the quality of parts people "recommend" when they're trying to rationalize a par-build. A $20 PSU, let alone that brand, will never be anywhere near one of my builds.

Also, you don't need a paid anti-virus membership, in my experience. Either you're on a mainstream OS like Windows which has totally adequate tools built in, or you're using a Linux distribution, and no one making the viruses cares to put in the effort.

Not only that, I learned many years ago gpu's need to have enough on the +12v rail to run good, if at all.

Case in point:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3047832/diablotek-400w-review-inside.html

That $15 psu in the build for $494 a few pages back?

Below is the load table for this unit. The bulk of this unit's capabilities are not on the 12V rail, since it is only rated for 22 amps. Clearly, this unit is not based on a modern design, and also does not have the capabilities for handling any system other than a simple office machine.

What gpu are you gonna use with this power supply?

Speely

Banned
X1X is a great value for performance vs price for folks who don't want to fiddle with their hardware.

PC has other advantages that make it a better option for me. Games cost less. As a person who buys lots of games, my PC is easily my best gaming purchase, even if the hardware cost me more than $500.

That said, I think the X1X will sell well. It's the best plug-n-play option there is.

wachie

It was the same case in 2013 when you couldn't build a $399 rig to match the PS4. Why are we shocked? Console industry works differently and console vendors don't pay consumer MSRP for their parts.

just find all the cheap mail-in-rebate components and say you made it under $500 even though most of the rebates will get "lost in transit"

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Sure it can. Mine sits behind my TV, hooked into my receiver, which splits it across the TV, monitor and projector. It plays more media than any other device I can think of.

So TV, 4K Blu-ray and Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer etc can all be on a small easily controllable PC that looks nice under a TV and plays games as well as 1X for how much?

The PC is still a better value when you consider things like free online, front ends , emulators, no restrictions. Bonus, You could also run all the old stuff at 4k too.

xbox one x wont be doing anything like this anytime soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPYBuRQ8tjQ

Irony of the video is that it is showing 90% console exclusive games being played on pc lol. Without console gaming that thing would have looked different.

B_Signal

So TV, 4K Blu-ray and Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer etc can all be on a small easily controllable PC that looks nice under a TV and plays games as well as 1X for how much?

I'm not sure how much a 4K bluray player costs, if they do one, or how many people would even care, but yeah to everything else.

You can watch live tv through iplayer, Skygo, itv etc through your browser. If you really wanted a tv card they're cheap, but you've probably got a tv you're using to watch tv if you've got the pc hooked up to a tv

Control the whole thing using Unified Remote on your phone :)

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I'm not sure how much a 4K bluray player costs, if they do one, or how many people would even care, but yeah to everything else.

You can watch live tv through iplayer, Skygo, itv etc through your browser. If you really wanted a tv card they're cheap, but you've probably got a tv you're using to watch tv if you've got the pc hooked up to a tv

Control the whole thing using Unified Remote on your phone :)

I have Virgin Media that plugs into my Xbox. I can control my PC in the way you mentioned but my wife and son can't which is why I have an S under my TV and not a PC.

Stasis

It's impressive but a lot of valid points have been mentioned with regards to consumer vs. company purchasing, taking a loss on hardware etc etc.

Also, I've never once as a PC gaming enthusiast built a PC near $500 or thought to. My lowest was like $1100. Average is $2000 for me when I do a full new build. I expect to pay $500 for my GPU alone.

Different demographics really. I'll always have a good PC and I'll usually have one or two consoles depending on exclusives. For someone on a tight budget who doesn't wanna fiddle? Console's an easy answer. And they're stronger than ever. That's great for them.

B_Signal

I have Virgin Media that plugs into my Xbox. I can control my PC in the way you mentioned but my wife and son can't which is why I have an S under my TV and not a PC.

If you've got a 4k tv it's got iplayer, netflix, amazon etc as apps built in, plug the Virgin Media in to the tv, control everything with the tv remote. If you've not got a 4K tv, get a chromecast or something, don't spend £450 on a console you're not going to get the full use out of, nor a half-arsed pc

as a caveat, I think for the power the XX is perfectly fine in terms of cost, it's at the least what you'd expect to pay. The problem, and it's the same for the Pro, is how often that power is going to get used outside of a bump in resolution, and even then the Pro is hit & miss

FLAguy954

I'm sure someone already pointed this out but one of the primary reasons why it's tougher to build an equivalent PC to the X1X is because the CPU and GPU are on one single die as an APU.

There currently aren't any APUs from AMD that have a powerful enough GPU to compare to the one in the X1X.

A big positive of PC gaming is you can certainly get close to the X1X with current hardware and surpass the X1X at anytime when the budget allows for it.

Tommy DJ

That's not bad, actually. I've liked EVGA stuff, though I tend to over-spec on power supplies (I've known enough people who had bad experiences where more expensive parts got damaged as a result), so I'm less familiar with parts in that range.

I used to work as a system builder for a big computer parts retailer in Australia. We used to chuck a lot of those cheap HEC built units into basic gaming machines and I'll be honest, they were surprisingly reliable as far as cheapass $45 AUD power supplies go. We actually got more failed Corsair VS series units, percentage wise.

I'm not putting bad PSUs in my system but you don't need to overspend to get a half way decent one that probably won't trouble a pretty basic system.

Realistically though, no one should buy or build cheap systems since they are terrible. I know, I've built and set up thousands of them before. My recommendation is to always straight up buy (or reuse) a Dell or HP system, preferably refurbished, and throw in a GPU. Like if you had a Dell or HP desktop within the last 6 years (that's how trash the Jaguar CPU is), the solution to building a desktop that can compete with the Xbox One X is to spend $600 on a GTX1070 + 500W PSU and call it a day.

jroc74

I'm sure someone already pointed this out but one of the primary reasons why it's tougher to build an equivalent PC to the X1X is because the CPU and GPU are on one single die as an APU.

There currently aren't any APUs from AMD that have a powerful enough GPU to compare to the one in the X1X.

A big positive of PC gaming is you can certainly get close to the X1X with current hardware and surpass the X1X at anytime when the budget allows for it.

Yea I think thats kind of overlooked at times.

Like I mentioned the PC I'll be building soon will cost $100 more than the One X.

And I just realized.... it doesnt have a recent gpu...just one to get the machine up n running since the cpu doesnt have onboard video.

Add in the gpu I want, thats another $200. But I'll either add that later or just save up and add that in now.

Fredrik

Sure it can. Mine sits behind my TV, hooked into my receiver, which splits it across the TV, monitor and projector. It plays more media than any other device I can think of.
That's awesome! I have my PC way too far away from the living room so PC gaming and console gaming has always been isolated from each other. Steam Link is a decent solution for some games though.

Anyhow, your PC don't play Xbox, Xbox360, Xbox One games and UHD movies though, so I guess that's a win for the consoles. In my case 4K is actually a console win too since I have three 144hz monitors so upgrading to 4K on my PC is not something I can afford without sacrificing something I love.

Still not sold on XB1X but I'm warming up to it, the idea of XB1X combined with PC for the ultimate comfy couch and triple screen combo is interesting for sure.

Sarcasm

Most new TVs have these great apps already built into them. Bolded a few I see that are on mine.

FYI my 4K TV costed less than buying a console. It also has other great apps. Though if you play games yea this becomes moot.

But for netflix...no need. Even youtube is great just throw it from yea phone to the TV.

MissChief

Well, scorpio isn't out yet. Who knows, maybe the individual components will be just a bit lower by the time it is released, making it possible to build a 500 PC with the same specs by then.

Why does the PC have to be under your TV in a little box when it can be anywhere? That's not what the thread is about anyways. The PC has all those media options plus more that can be built into a front end or launched easily with a remote.

I am still trying to figure out when you say play games as well as 1X, when did 4k30fps become better than 1080p 60fps ultra?
The 1X will always be limited by CPU and Operating system. There are many area's in media and gaming that a $500 PC will outperform the 1X.

I don't know about other markets but in Hungary the RX 480, 570, 580 is basically nonexistant, the 470 and 1060 is hard to get and they cost like 325 eur, and the 1070 stock is also pretty scarce because miners buying up the cards.
I've just heard that someone sold a used RX 580 for ~455 eur.
No shit it's hard to assemble a PC close to the Xbox One X in price and performance. This could actually lead to considerably higher sales for Microsoft.

Most new TVs have these great apps already built into them. Bolded a few I see that are on mine.

FYI my 4K TV costed less than buying a console. It also has other great apps. Though if you play games yea this becomes moot.

But for netflix...no need. Even youtube is great just throw it from yea phone to the TV.
This sounds great but our smart TV will be dropped out of youtube support, because samsung won't update the app on the older devices. :(

What's the point of even beating it nowadays, There is literal minimal difference between versions, Native 4K looks the same as when it's been CBR. Even spending an extra £300 on a PC wouldnt give you night/day difference in visuals. The XBOX is superb value for money in SFF.

Also you can't mention online fee's as a perk for PC, When on these new consoles many of us use the primary account feature and get all games half price along with only needing 1 sub for 2 accounts.

Price/performace = Consoles will always reign supreme.

jdmonmou

I think this comparison is kind of silly. For the gamer that wants the premium experience, building the PC is the way to go even if slightly more expensive. MS gets props for building a 4K capable console at $499, but I think it's a risky proposition to buy it day 1 because we don't know yet if developers will optimize their games to fully take advantage of the console's power.

xabbott

I think this comparison is kind of silly. For the gamer that wants the premium experience, building the PC is the way to go even if slightly more expensive. MS gets props for building a 4K capable console at $499, but I think it's a risky proposition to buy it day 1 because we don't know yet if developers will optimize their games to fully take advantage of the console's power.

They managed to get CD projekt to patch Witcher 3. I think support will be fine. Especially as dynamic res becomes the norm.

axb2013

I use a PC exclusively but these console matching builds just for the purpose of matching price and performance of a console are annoying.

The configurations they came up with make no sense. Sure, one could bring the cost down even further by reusing a case or buying a used/refurbished component or two. The focus is all on price matching console with little or no attention paid to how usable the PC would be.

No mention of monitor. Have they actually tried building this PC and using it with a 4K TV? While consoles are typically plug & play with TV's, a PC plugged into a unit that can't do native 4K/60Hz, ahs significant input lag or on a non 4:4:4 compliant TV is atrocious.

I moved my PC into the living room and I had to opt for an expensive TV to serve as a monitor, cheaper 4K sets provide a bad experience.

No keyboard and mouse in their config, I would maybe let them slide with a cheap membrane keyboard but try playing a online shooter with a cheap mouse.

8GB RAM and FX 8300 for a new 4K build in 2017? That right tells me they were so blinded by their focus to match a console that they totally ignored how much sense it actually makes to build this PC and no consideration for the lifetime of the build, this thing is already obsolete.

I have built more than a few PC's for my friends but if they brought these parts to me I would refuse to assemble it.

The $500 console has a lifespan that also has to be a consideration for these builds and a competing PC would cost significantly more.

Whoever writes these articles/proposes these builds should be forced to exclusively use the abominations they proposed for an extended period of time.

Sarcasm

Yes. I can only pair devices with the app and start playing yt videos on the tv while the app is open.

Hard to say as mine can do it whenever....

I can be watching a movie from USB and just cast without opening the home screen or the YT app on the TV. Then again I assume it loads YT.

Though once I close to goes back to playing that movie from USB.

Thought it was just a quick mirror screen function more than a YT app on the TV.

jdmonmou

They managed to get CD projekt to patch Witcher 3. I think support will be fine. Especially as dynamic res becomes the norm.

I don't have anything against developers using dynamic res. But the way the One X was marketed led people to think that every game was going to run consistently at native 4K. I'm just pointing out that while the One X is a good value, buyers should be cautious about how developers choose to fully optimize their games for it.

ZOONAMI

Not only that, I learned many years ago gpu's need to have enough on the +12v rail to run good, if at all.

Case in point:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3047832/diablotek-400w-review-inside.html

That $15 psu in the build for $494 a few pages back?

What gpu are you gonna use with this power supply?

I bet you wouldn't have any problems running a 1060 on it.

Either way, an EVGA PSU is $5 more. Corsair bronzes even go on sale pretty often for $20-30.

People always over budget psu, especially for a 1060 which is a power sipper. Entire system load isn't even going to break 250w.

I have a $50 EVGA 800w bronze running 2 1070s with zero issues. 36,500 graphics score. I don't think I need a $100+ PSU, thanks.

$499 is still under $500.

If we want to split hairs over kbm, Xbox live, etc fine, but I still maintain you can build a better 1080/1440 rig for less than $500, and a decent 4k30 rig which is what I'd wager were going to be seeing a lot of with XOX. We'll need actual comparisons of course but by then we may even have a lower end Vega chip or even an 1160 for under $300 which will completely outclass the xbox one x.

Mihos

Gold Member
Well, it would be hard to build one PC for $500 that matches, but if I had a MOQ of 1 million units I am sure anyone could.

Also, PC tech is always in motion.

jroc74

I bet you wouldn't have any problems running a 1060 on it.

Either way, an EVGA PSU is $5 more. Corsair bronzes even go on sale pretty often for $20-30.

People always over budget psu, especially for a 1060 which is a power sipper. Entire system load isn't even going to break 250w.

I have a $50 EVGA 800w bronze running 2 1070s with zero issues. 36,500 graphics score. I don't think I need a $100+ PSU, thanks.

No you dont have to spend alot of money for a psu.. But one should get components that combined wont cause issues.

https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

GeForce GTX 1060 - 20A and a 400W PSU minimum.

For this specific card that $15 psu wont cut it. Unless the 1060 is going to be the only thing in your PC. No dvd drive, no harddrive, etc.

I bet the power supply you have running both of those 1070's has more than 22 amps on the +12v rail...

Lister

Banned
I use a PC exclusively but these console matching builds just for the purpose of matching price and performance of a console are annoying.

The configurations they came up with make no sense. Sure, one could bring the cost down even further by reusing a case or buying a used/refurbished component or two. The focus is all on price matching console with little or no attention paid to how usable the PC would be.

No mention of monitor. Have they actually tried building this PC and using it with a 4K TV? While consoles are typically plug & play with TV's, a PC plugged into a unit that can't do native 4K/60Hz, ahs significant input lag or on a non 4:4:4 compliant TV is atrocious.

I moved my PC into the living room and I had to opt for an expensive TV to serve as a monitor, cheaper 4K sets provide a bad experience.

No keyboard and mouse in their config, I would maybe let them slide with a cheap membrane keyboard but try playing a online shooter with a cheap mouse.

8GB RAM and FX 8300 for a new 4K build in 2017? That right tells me they were so blinded by their focus to match a console that they totally ignored how much sense it actually makes to build this PC and no consideration for the lifetime of the build, this thing is already obsolete.

I have built more than a few PC's for my friends but if they brought these parts to me I would refuse to assemble it.

The $500 console has a lifespan that also has to be a consideration for these builds and a competing PC would cost significantly more.

Whoever writes these articles/proposes these builds should be forced to exclusively use the abominations they proposed for an extended period of time.

I don't see how any of this changes with consoles.

A cheap TV is going to add a ton of latency regardless of console or PC.

ZOONAMI

Quote myself from the other day...

When you add $50 for the GPU(6GB variant), $30 for a PSU that won't set on fire, $30 for a decent mini-itx case, $120 for a UHD BD drive, $90 for Windows 10, $20 for cheapass KB/M to install Win10, and $50 for a Xbox One gamepad and bluetooth receiver you hit $884.

That build is a fucking travesty.

Well since you can't play online games with an xbox and you can with a PC you should probably factor in +$240 for 4 years of Xbox live then.

And I fail to see how $50 xbone pad and Bluetooth is mandatory for a PC. If you're going to say that you get into kbm adapter territory for the Xbox and unnecessarily buying a kbm just for the Xbox.

Either way both systems come out to $700+ if you don't want to extremely limit your budget on the PC build and we include 4 years of Xbox live as you cannot play online multiplayer without it. $500 if you really limit your PC build and $500 if you don't play Xbox games online.

Uhd BD is silly for a PC too. I get that your trying to replicate the Xbox one every single feature but that's kind of unfair as the PC does a shit ton of stuff the Xbox never will, and you can't just arbitrarily throw more money at the Xbox to make it do more like you can with a PC.

They are different kinds of systems. The argument here should be about gaming performance and not every single fucking possible feature because Xbox can never match a PC from that perspective so it's kind of silly to say a PC has to have the same form factor, be used with a TV, have an Xbox controller, and uhd Blu-ray. Xbox doesn't have a full blown OS and I can't throw $100 at it to make it so. It being able to play uhd doesn't offset that benefit on the PC side. You can throw $200+ at it to play online though.

joecanada

It boggles my mind the quality of parts people "recommend" when they're trying to rationalize a par-build. A $20 PSU, let alone that brand, will never be anywhere near one of my builds.

Also, you don't need a paid anti-virus membership, in my experience. Either you're on a mainstream OS like Windows which has totally adequate tools built in, or you're using a Linux distribution, and no one making the viruses cares to put in the effort.

Well the premise " could you build this " is a pretty weak one and doesn't answer " what should you build " which is much more useful . Since it's obvious you can game on either pc or high end consoles for a similar budget long term it's the function you should be looking for.

But cmon are we going to pretend consoles have quality parts in them. That 20 dollar PSU will probably last as long as a launch 360 lol

Quotient

I'm not sure this has been discussed so apologies if it has. PC gaming, for me, has always been cheaper in the long run with the ability to upgrade individual parts, the fantastic deals available with the online market places, and the savings you get not having to pay for PSN/Live.

Top Bottom