• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC World Struggles To Build PC for $500 to match XOX

PSqueak

Banned
Dumbest article possible. One a pc has more overhead, two you're not buying the components of the PC for what Xbox buys the components of the box at cause you aren't buying millions at a time, and three a PC is expected (and does more) than a console

I don't think you were supposed to take it seriously, it's just the latest attempt to make a "potato masher".

LordRaptor

How much to build a PC that does 4k at 60fps?

"4K 60fps" is a pretty low target.
I expect you want to know what something running at console equivalent graphical settings will cost, and we'll be able to tell you that when the game is out.

but I bet its less than most console GAFfers think.

GodofWine

Its really hard to build a PC equivalent of most unreleased consoles, you have to consider some things:

1 . The hardware isnt going to change for years, maybe 5 years, this means that while MS might be barely at breakeven now, they won't be as the console sales ramp up in year 2 and 3.

2. Now try to build this 'console' again in December of 2019. Im sure you can far surpass it at the same cost by then.

So yea, today its definitely a price to performance beast, but not too long into its life it won't be. So everyone is kinda right here.

(and if you buy one day one, and keep it for 5 years and play online, thats like $250 more dollars on xbl, consoles generate money in different ways, so total lifecycle cost is $750. For $750 its easy to surpass it)

If I hadn't built a new PC two months ago I might have been interested. My goal was to hit 1440p 144hz, not 40k 30 fps. I wait for technology to drop to more reasonable prices, and framerate is more important to me than resolution.

I know why Sony and MS want to push for 4K, but I don't think it's worth the price yet (on PC).

That is a bullshit PR answer though, because it is either sold at a profit or loss. They did not cost it perfectly to its price tag in multiple regions, because that is actually impossible to do. He may mean that the loss or profit is small and so they see it as even, but it assuredly is one or the other. I believe it is fairly obvious which.

no its not. theres breakeven analysis, yields to consider, etc.

this doesnt work like "make it at 498 sell at 499"

the question isnt how much do they make on each console. its "how much do they have to sell to turn a profit, how much are they able to yield in manufacturing to work, etc"

sure, if youre nintendo you might be straight up making a profit on every console. theres some products that have razor thin margins that open up over time because of production increases, better manufacturing practices, and parts straight up getting cheaper

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Ya, but it really doesn't matter that they aren't selling it for a loss. The big difference that people don't seem to focus on is when you build a PC, you're buying parts sold for a profit and have mark up. Microsoft has the advantage of buying parts for less than we can buy on our own. The lack of mark up is why you can't build one that's just as good.
Oh no doubt, the mark up will always be there on retail PC parts.

Lettuce

Hmmm they state, should run at 4K with a minimum of 30fps at medium settings, thing is the XBX will most defiantly be using Very High to Ultra settings or equivalent.

Guess they have to wait until Forza 7 comes out and test these builds with that and see how they stack up

I normally like the PC crowd, but some of you sure are insecure when powerful consoles hit the market.

Yes, out of the box hardware as of right now seems like great value, especially when you consider the small form factor of the device. Of course the PC has other benefits such as the option to upgrade in the future and an array of cheap games and 'exclusives', but this thread is simply about the value of the hardware in the box.

Who is displaying this insecurity you speak of? If the "PC crowd" have something to say it's often because people are spreading misinformation and they are correcting this.

On the topic of a $500 PC matching the Xbox One X, it's not going to happen with hardware bought new today.
You might be able to put something together with used hardware that comes close to the $500 price point (minus the disc drive) but even that may be a tough one.

I'm not even sure who provided the perception that it would be possible to build a PC at the same price as the Xbox One X and match or exceed it.

RedFury

I expect you want to know what something running at console equivalent graphical settings will cost, and we'll be able to tell you that when the game is out.

Yup, can't wait for the "it looks so close to PC though it doesn't even matter" comments. Can't say for sure until the games come out then we can have the conversation seriously. This is all speculative bull shit at this point for the clicks. As I've stated already though you can already play some games 4k/30,60,etc. That this console has already been confirmed with be able to do before it is out. That's not even considering settings (most console settings are medium in most cases).

ElfArmy177

I disagree, specifically because it's not console gaffers who are doing the arguing for the most part about cost of PC gaming.

Magnus

Shouldn't take too long, but still I never understood this, it's never going to be a 1:1 comparison, a PC is a multi function device that is capable of far more than a console

Word, but this is in response to the challenge typically issued by some PC gamers that one should spend their money on a rig instead of a console, to get more power for the same dollars. (I think?)

Nev

Banned
Can I install Windows on a Xbox One X? Steam? Mods? LoL? CS:GO? The millions of programs that are exclusive to PC like Photoshop or Adobe Premiere? Use a mouse and a keyboard?

No, therefore I don't care what you can or can not match with the same amount of money and I will still prefer a less capable/more expensive PC because it's not the same even if you match the specs.

What an absurd narrative.

J-Rzez

This is like the days of old where consoles were the way to go for bang for the buck. That said, as a PC gamer and builder, I will admit to build a PC to potentially compete with this at that price is a daunting task right now. So there is a value factor there for this machine, but, that'll change quickly in the PC world with their overpriced parts, and you won't be stuck with a closed-end box in the end.

LordRaptor

I disagree, specifically because it's not console gaffers who are doing the arguing for the most part about cost of PC gaming.

it is ALWAYS console gaffers bringing up cost relating to PC gaming.
PC gamers pay what they're prepared to for the experience they want to have - there are folks here manually tweaking decade old AMD chips just to get stuff running, and there are folks here rocking dual Titans.

Its a broad spectrum.

GodofWine

Hmmm they state, should run at 4K with a minimum of 30fps at medium settings, thing it the XBX will most defiantly be using Very High to Ultra settings or equivalent.

I'd be shocked if XBX runs 4K/30 on Ultra/V High settings. Did they say a specific game?

BibiMaghoo

no its not. theres breakeven analysis, yields to consider, etc.

this doesnt work like "make it at 498 sell at 499"

the question isnt how much do they make on each console. its "how much do they have to sell to turn a profit, how much are they able to yield in manufacturing to work, etc"

sure, if youre nintendo you might be straight up making a profit on every console. theres some products that have razor thin margins that open up over time because of production increases, better manufacturing practices, and parts straight up getting cheaper

No, it's just a means to obfuscate the answer. If I sell a TV in a store, I either sell it at a profit or loss. It is fucking irrelevant what other things I sell when answering that question. The question was not if the shop makes a loss or profit, and that was how it was not answered.

Can I install Windows on a Xbox One X? Steam? Mods? LoL? CS:GO? The millions of programs that are exclusive to PC like Photoshop or Adobe Premiere? Use a mouse and a keyboard?

No, therefore I don't care what you can or can not match with the same amount of money and I will still prefer a less capable/more expensive PC because it's not the same even if you match the specs.

What an absurd narrative.

Can you buy AAA games on PC and then sell them after you finish them? Play UHD BD movies?

Agreed it's not the same. Different products for different consumers.

Even more impressive in the UK as PC parts here re more expensive, Consoles are perfect for that price/performance aspect.

That's why PC shouldn't be involved in faceoffs, As when you cant build a PC to beat it at the same price, You change the argument by paying more to beat it.

PC should have there own faceoffs against different builds.

pr0cs

For the price it's impossible to buy off the shelf parts of equivalent spec. No one in their right mind would want to do that if they're building a pc anyway

DrkSage

I'm not even a PC guy, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that the PC community will figure out a build that'll match, and even surpass the XBONEX by November.

This comparison was made too early. When PS4 and Xbox one released the comparison articles came after. So yea, expect a better comparison by November

RedFury

PC gamers pay what they're prepared to for the experience they want to have - there are folks here manually tweaking decade old AMD chips just to get stuff running, and there are folks here rocking dual Titans.

Its a broad spectrum.
Lol yeah. Bad argument usually comes after "I own X too but..."

The Ark devs said words to that effect and i think 'experts' who have seen the new Shadow of War game say it seems to be using V high graphic settings
Ark devs are stupid if they truly said XBX has what feels like 16gb ram. Did they seriously say that, I mean come on dude.

No, it's just a means to obfuscate the answer. If I sell a TV in a store, I either sell it at a profit or loss. It is fucking irrelevant what other things I sell when answering that question. The question was not if the shop makes a loss or profit, and that was how it was not answered.

thats a retailer, this is a manufacturer.

apples and oranges

Its a broad spectrum.

Yup. I couldn't care less about the price. I'm content building monster PCs that obliterate consoles. I also own said consoles because I love video games and wouldn't want to limit myself to one platform.

ElfArmy177

6TF machine that runs games at 30fps isn't exactly high end.

Sounds like an opinion. I find it high end. Infact I'm more impressed with ps pro games than my gaming more often than not

You act like the average gamer gives a damn about 60 fps. Is it nice? Damn right and I get irritated if my pc games go under 60. On console? I don't give a shit I just play the game and I want it to look pretty. Sure under 30 is bad and noticable.. but as long as it's stable at 30 im happy

gatti-man

No one is being critical of the X1Xs hardware, it's the software that's incredibly lacking. I'd love to buy the x1x and I have a PS4 pro and gaming pc. MS just hasn't given me a reason to yet. No exclusive they offer is using the X1X in a material way.

GodofWine

I just looked at their build, and I agree that at this moment its really hard to build a system to match this (though I will keep saying a 1050ti / g4560 will run games at 30fps in 4K at low settings, so you can get close)

But I dont think MS's CPU is worth $90, I don't think there is a real equivalent available. The pentiums will probably hang with it though.

The $270 for a rx 580 is inflated (but accurate) due to the crypto boom.

But for $450 you can run games in 4K at 30fps (I built a g4560/1050ti/16GB DDR4 PC for $453)

Vids from similar build from YT
Outlast 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxI0KPVdG70
Dirt 4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBDKBgovO9M
Tekken 7 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEp4We65J7c
Battlefront (1080 Ultra) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRh95y2dk7M
Wolfenstein - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7EZBsYF50Q
FIFA (similar CPU - shouldnt effect frames much) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Egeqp7Lbc

I'm not even a PC guy, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that the PC community will figure out a build that'll match, and even surpass the XBONEX by November.
I think you forgot the word price and no.
to people here, myself included in having a more powerful pc? probably.

to people who will and have never owned or built a PC? sure as hell is
100%

You get all the points for being able to understand what other people see here.

Xbox One X is a weird machine to try to match, honestly. It is so GPU lopsided. At launch the machine is priced well against off the shelf parts but it won't take long.

Lunar15

Has there ever been cost parity between consoles and PC?

I know I could get a PS4 Pro or X1X for cheaper. But the thing is that I also need a computer.

Rathorial

Well Microsoft said they weren't making money off the $500 Xbone X, and it's going to be a mass-produced piece of hardware which also helps with costs, so I'm not surprised. It's also going to have a method to upscale to 4k, and likely sacrifice in other graphic options vs. a maxed out PC game even at 1080p.

Give it a year though, better PC hardware will come out, and the lower cost CPUs and GPUs will be able to equate or exceed it if you build the PC yourself. Consoles tend to be good value right when they come out, and then when they get reduced below $200. Also it gets murky when it comes to building PCs, because some features I think aren't worth including in the cost other people value, and that can inflate cost above the minimum to play games.

Hey if someone can give me a laundry list of things i could get to make a pc at least in pair with the regular Xbone or PS4 for 500 bucks or less i could totally go for it even if t doesn't get on the level of the xbonex.

i3 -7100
Asus H110M-E Motherboard
GSKILL 8GB DDR$2800
EVGA 430WATT PSU
EVGA GTX1050
Cooler Master N200 Case
500GB WL HDD
Total of about $440 US

Gestault

I think it's worth pointing out how much more utility you can get for a bit more money on PC, gaming or otherwise, but by the same token, a $500 price point is something a lot of people want, and reasonably, you're not getting there with capabilities like the 1X without a lot of asterisks.

Has there ever been cost parity between consoles and PC?

I know I could get a PS4 Pro or X1X for cheaper. But the thing is that I also need a computer.
Yes it just takes time, a year or two in there's always a PC similar price and equal or better performance even considering console advantage of small number of skus. Consoles always get the price versus performance win at launch but it trends toward pc favour toward mid Gen and onwards.

It's not changed since a while and only the timing is sometimes different

BibiMaghoo

thats a retailer, this is a manufacturer.

apples and oranges

Come on man, they calculate their retail prices by knowing exactly what a unit costs them to make, ship and what they get in return.

If they know what it costs them and they know what they sell it for, the honest answer is incredibly simple. He just didn't want to give it because no answer was favorable. Making a profit pisses off people that think it too expensive. Making a loss makes them look desperate.

GodofWine

I just looked at their build, and I agree that at this moment its really hard to build a system to match this (though I will keep saying a 1050ti / g4560 will run games at 30fps in 4K at low settings, so you can get close. I doubt xbx is doing 4k30 at much over 'low' settings...and relax, low actually looks really good now, its not 2001 'Low', 2017 'Low' is so much better, see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uojZp-kHE4k)

But I dont think MS's CPU is worth $90, I don't think there is a real equivalent available. The pentiums will probably hang with it though.

The $270 for a rx 580 is inflated (but accurate) due to the crypto boom.

But for $450 you can run games in 4K at 30fps

Outlast 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxI0KPVdG70
Dirt 4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBDKBgovO9M
Tekken 7 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEp4We65J7c

There's one for Fifa, Wolfenstein, and Battlefront (BF is at 1080p Ultra running at 70fps)

GamerJM

Banned
Is this a first? I remember when the original Xbox released it surpassed other PCs on the market as well. I could be remembering wrong though.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if all the PC gamers convert to the X.

Why would we? My PC runs every game at 1080p/60fps and some at 1440p/60fps, I'll take that over fake 4K (or even full 4K)/30fps any day of the week, no amount of visuals can make up for choppy gameplay, and that's what you get with 30fps.

6TF machine that runs games at 30fps isn't exactly high end.

Posts like these are why these threads are insufferable. I would say that it outperforms the vast majority of gaming devices and pc's out there today....

These budget PC articles are fun to read, but I don't think many people actually cross-shop consoles and PCs.

The Xbox One X is for someone who wants a high-end console that is well-equipped to handle 4K gaming. If they don't want a console experience then there are other options. If they don't want the best possible console experience then there are also other options.

I guess we'll see how many games live up to the native 4K dream, but the hardware itself seems like it's worth $499.

Well said.

Darkangel

These budget PC articles are fun to read, but I don't think many people actually cross-shop consoles and PCs.

The Xbox One X is for someone who wants a high-end console that is well-equipped to handle 4K gaming. If they don't want a console experience then there are other options. If they don't want the best possible console experience then there are also other options.

I guess we'll see how many games live up to the native 4K dream, but the hardware itself seems like it's worth $499.

Top Bottom