• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC World Struggles To Build PC for $500 to match XOX

Lister

Banned
I agree and I love it as well. My point was the lack of knowledge the average consumer has on pc

You guys are expecting AVERAGE gamers to learn to build a PC...

The funny thing is, odds are, there will ALWAYS be more custom build gaming PC's out there than there will EVER be Xbox One X's.

JUST looking at Steam stats, and assuming discreet GPU's account for a significant amount of custom gaming PC's we're looking at well over 80 million. And the business tells us that that market only keeps growing.

RedFury

I agree and I love it as well. My point was the lack of knowledge the average consumer has on pc

But we all started their at one point now your the one doing the helping. If your argument is that it's tougher to get into no argument. If the argument is XBX is a good console for that price* then yes it is. One that will lose the perfomance/cost ratio really soon.

*I believe XBX is a good console if:
1. You don't already own a PS4 or X1.
2a. Dont care about PC gaming.
2b. Care about exclusives.

A bad console if you do already own a X1 or PS4 because at that point your paying 500 for a mid generation upgrade. If you bought a X1 at launch like I did and a XBX (which I don't plan to but seems like the situation for many) you played over 1000 only to end up with the performance of an XBX.

Lister

Banned
You do know there are people who buy mid range cards for only 200$ cheaper than the top of the line right? Money is money... People can only justify so much

But that's the thing, MOSt people I know still classify consoles in the "toys" category.

A console is a toy for most mainstream consumers. It's why a large price tag tends to be such a deal breaker for them.

But PC's aren't toys. They aren't viewed that way by most. Even if the end goal is gaming, most people, even hardcore PC gamers, tend to use them for other things, and those other things tend to justify the upfront cost.

gamz

The funny thing is, odds are, there will ALWAYS be more custom build gaming PC's out there than there will EVER be Xbox One X's.

JUST looking at Steam stats, and assuming discreet GPU's account for a significant amount of custom gaming PC's we're looking at well over 80 million. And the business tells us that that market only keeps growing.

I'm not sure those are all custom builds?

Rellik

Is this a first? I remember when the original Xbox released it surpassed other PCs on the market as well. I could be remembering wrong though.

This is about price, not power. You can easily build a PC that shits all over the One X, but you're going to pay a lot more for it.

Kssio_Aug

Actaully we're not. People here are just saying you can't really compare them like that, and that the comparison the article makes is pointless at this point. There's nothing wrong about preferring to buy a console, as a ready to use hardware for a reasonable price, I think most here can understand that.

But using a gaming PC nowadays isn't nearly as hard or expensive as some make it sounds. Actually, BUILD a PC may not be that simple, but to use it is almost as simple as using a console nowadays, everything is pretty straight forward, and the functionallity range, as always, is much bigger.

ElfArmy177

Guys I get some of your points but back to the car argument most people own basic cars and upgrade to a newer year to still do the same thing, go point a to point b. And then there are those who modify their cars or build hot rods...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Dumbest article possible. One a pc has more overhead, two you're not buying the components of the PC for what Xbox buys the components of the box at cause you aren't buying millions at a time, and three a PC is expected (and does more) than a console
Someone is inevitably going to ask if you can build a $500 PC to match the XBX and they set out to answer the question. If you think it's a dumb question then that's fine but it's not a dumb answer. They did their homework.

Lister

Banned
Guys I get some of your points but back to the car argument most people own basic cars and upgrade to a newer year to still do the same thing, go point a to point b. And then there are those who modify their cars or build hot rods...

Your anology would make sense... if the Hot Rod business were LARGER than the mainstrema car business. But it's not.

However, PC gaming is larger than any single console. It's larger than the big three, minus hand helds in fact.

A lot of people cna and do play game son PC just fine. Turns out you don't have to be a compute science major to do so.

As a PC gamer, I think that's pretty cool. It's crazy to think that there's a console coming for $500 that can do more graphically than the computer I paid $1000 for back in 2015.
I'm kinda interested in Scorpio (mostly because of play anywhere, being able to purchase one copy of a game and play it co-op with my family/friends using my PC and Xbox), but I'll still be getting a lot more milage out of my PC because my GPU is more than good enough and my CPU and GPU together will actually enable 60fps across the board throughout the generation.

hitgirl

IF the Xbox X is quiet under load and doesn't have an external power brick (two things I don't know yet).. then it's a damn sexy piece of hardware, one of the best. And this is coming from someone who has a PC that costs 3-4X as much.

rtcn63

Uhhhh... Only two years ago? What did you get for $1,000?

Shit my PC was ~$1000 five years ago, and all I had to do was throw in a 1060 for $200 and it's probably a better performer than an XBX. (Ignoring the lack of a UHD drive, but hey I can do Excel on it)

Uhhhh... Only two years ago? What did you get for $1,000?

970 gpu
4790k cpu
some mobo
liquid CPU cooler
an SSD
a nice case to put it all in
and a new KB/M

already had the rest of what I needed including cabling, monitor, several extra drives, etc.

I should note that when I say '2015', I mean the beginning of 2015. Like, this computer was up and running by January 7. I built my computer to play Witcher 3 and Grand Theft Auto 5 and it's pretty much taken over my gaming time ever since.

wildfire

Banned
I don't doubt this but I'd be more impressed if they could manage to do this and fit it into a case thats as compact as the X. The ones in the PC world article kind of miss the point there too, those bulky ass cases aren't going to fly in a lot of living room setups. Haven't checked PC cases in a while but even the smaller ones are much bigger than the X.

There are PC cases smaller or as small but that drives up the price of the case, motherboard and depending on case picked PSU.

Kssio_Aug

970 gpu
4790k cpu
some mobo
liquid CPU cooler
an SSD
a nice case to put it all in
and a new KB/M

already had the rest of what I needed including cabling, monitor, several extra drives, etc.

SSD and CPU are much better than what XBX offers, isn't it? GPU probably not, but it isn't THAT far behind I believe. I can't tell much about it though... let the experts talk. lol

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So sensible builder is going to hamstring their build with a XB1X level CPU.

Serious question. Can you get a Jaguar based cpu cheaper than an Intel G4560? Or any cpu that can be a decent gaming PC less than the G4560?

I used that on pcpartpicker when trying to put together a build for $500. I failed and I didnt have an OS, disc drive and 8GB ram...and no input devices.

Mooreberg

Bizarre comparison. Who is investing in PC hardware for 4K visuals and deciding to settle for half the frame rate? Why completely ignore game and service prices and act as if it is an apples to apples comparison?

SSD and CPU are much better than what XBX offers, isn't it? GPU probably not, but it isn't THAT far behind I believe. I can't tell much about it though... let the experts talk. lol

CPU is way way far ahead

GPU is a little behind, but it doesn't really matter to me, because I'm generally not playing PC games at 4K. I'm gonna be enjoying 1080p ultrawide 60fps or 1440p 60fps for the entire generation.

Are you on the drugs

yee

RedFury

CPU is way way far ahead

GPU is a little behind, but it doesn't really matter to me, because I'm generally not playing PC games at 4K. I'm gonna be enjoying 1080p ultrawide 60fps or 1440p 60fps for the entire generation.

yee
Holy shit why the 4790k? AND LIQUID COOLED?! That's just overkill for that gpu. What are you doing over there hacking NSA?

I disagree though. Are you telling me as a pc gamer you're not CONSTANTLY called to friends or families houses to fix their computers or gaming rigs?

No.

I built my current PC (5820K-GTX1060) last August. It's been running 24/7 since that day and not a single problem. My last PC ran for almost 5 years with only the graphics card needing replacing in that time.

joecanada

You can buy gaming PCs everywhere. They aren't even a bad deal if you sale hunt. I estimate mine was 50 bucks over PCPartPicker prices . I've changed stuff since but that was my choice

Tracygill

I don't think anyone has mentioned that AMD will release their low end quad core Ryzen 3 CPUs later this year. AMD has said Q3 2017 for availability. The competition between Intel's i3 CPUs and Ryzen 3 will probably end up giving consumers even better value for money.

It's kind of pointless at this point to try to compare components and prices. At least until the XboneX is out and there's games out taking advantage of it that can be analysed to figure out what settings are being run.

LordRaptor

Yeah, sure. Those specs are 4k / 60fps for any game on PC, right? GTFO

again; 4k / 60fps isn't some super high bar to hit if thats what you're going for.
What you probably mean to say is "and at a similar quality level to the x1x" which is basically a hypothetical quality level at this moment in time.

JWiLL

Banned
I get why people do these comparisons, but at the same time MS isn't paying consumer prices for its parts...so clearly buying individual pieces to match the same specs of the box won't be possible.

This also supports WHY a console like this makes sense for many consumers, but the whole exercise is a bit silly at the end of the day.

Conversely...you can always make the argument that for a couple hundred more you could build a PC that blows away the X1X and also has the benefits of being a PC, but what's the point.

I still think the Pro and X1X are conceptually dumb (30 fps gaming with PS4/X1 graphic settings @ 4k), but I'm hoping to see more devs use the extra power in more interesting ways.

Top Bottom