• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC World Struggles To Build PC for $500 to match XOX

flkraven

$500 and still can't hold 60fps.

When this console releases and its running some games at 30FPS, lets price out the PC that's running the same game with the same res/quality settings at 60. I'm sure it's a pretty substantial difference.

I get why people do these comparisons, but at the same time MS isn't paying consumer prices for its parts...so clearly buying individual pieces to match the same specs of the box won't be possible.

This also supports WHY a console like this makes sense for many consumers, but the whole exercise is a bit silly at the end of the day.

Conversely...you can always make the argument that for a couple hundred more you could build a PC that blows away the X1X and also has the benefits of being a PC, but what's the point.

I still think the Pro and X1X are conceptually dumb (30 fps gaming with PS4/X1 graphic settings @ 4k), but I'm hoping to see more devs use the extra power in more interesting ways.

This is a comparison for consumers, so consumer prices are used. A consumer can either buy the XBX or buy an equivalent (or better) PC.

The argument isn't "what can I get for a few hundred bucks more", it's "is the XBX a decent value for what you get". The fact that an equivalent PC costs more money is a sign that it is a decent value.

BigEmil

Duh?

You're not getting the same performance and hardware for the same price right now.

Matching the same "hardware" is near impossible price wise. As is 4k/60 in the games that will run at that on X1X. Maybe by the end of the year.
X1X is not gonna do much 4k/60 and also alot of X1X games will not be native 4K.

On PC there is no checkerboading stuff etc so only have to use more intensive native 4K.

Afrodium

Banned
I never understood the burning desire to prove that PCs can be just as cheap as consoles. They're really not, and even when you can build a comparable PC for a comparable price it's advisable not to do so. PCs do a whole lot more than consoles, but that flexibility comes at a premium. It's fine to admit that.

Ha ha let me guess PC gaming is dead too, right? Ha ha ha what a pointless click baity article that just feeds pointless system wars bullshit.

Stop bringing up your Miatas and Tiburons because, surprise, a Camry is just fine and fulfill most people's needs too.

I never understood the burning desire to prove that PCs can be just as cheap as consoles. They're really not, and even when you can build a comparable PC for a comparable price it's advisable not to do so. PCs do a whole lot more than consoles, but that flexibility comes at a premium. It's fine to admit that.

This is what I'm saying.

RedFury

almost every one...
If he's trying to be a smart ass though you can play all last gen games at 4k and games before that. What does XBX back compat play them at again?

Let's not be snarky. There are positives and negatives to both. I find it's arbitrary to argue to get a PC to work like XBX but we can do the same for the other because you have no options. Good luck playing next gen games on that closed console. Next gen comes out instead of buying that new console just buy a card that outperforms said console. It's quite stupid to argue these things but work well when all your after is clicks. Got us didn't they?

X1X is not gonna do much 4k/60 and also alot of X1X games will not be native 4K.

On PC there is no checkerboading stuff etc so only have to use more intensive native 4K.
Ubisoft games do checkerboard on PC.

openrob

The big issue that is glaringly missing from these articles is that many PC gamers just upgrade as and when.

I new GPU and some RAM could set you back less than $500

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
When this console releases and its running some games at 30FPS, lets price out the PC that's running the same game with the same res/quality settings at 60. I'm sure it's a pretty substantial difference.

This is a comparison for consumers, so consumer prices are used. A consumer can either buy the XBX or buy an equivalent (or better) PC.

The argument isn't "what can I get for a few hundred bucks more", it's "is the XBX a decent value for what you get". The fact that an equivalent PC costs more money is a sign that it is a decent value.

no it is not. pc is about a gigantic library and options (mods, controllers, ultrawide, etc) too, not only performance...

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The big issue that is glaringly missing from these articles is that many PC gamers just upgrade as and when.

At the same time I can probably see on a daily basis at least one "this is my first build" or "new PC" or "first build in years" on pcpartpicker Completed Builds section.

Instro

I feel like the original purpose of these sorts of comparisons has been lost. There was a point in time when console owners enjoyed throwing around the narrative of PC gaming being absurdly expensive. Like "you'd need a $2000 PC to get this performance" etc. It was good to then show that a user built PC can match and exceed consoles at sub $1000 price points. The idea of attempting to build console equivalents for bargain bin prices just seems counterintuitive. I think most people can agree these days that PC gaming is not that expensive, and comparitivley, console gaming will usually get you a bigger bang for buck at low price points.

rtcn63

You wouldn't even need the extra ram sticks for the most part, since $200-ish mid-range GPU's come with at least 6GB of Vram. To go from XB1 to XBX at similar cost likely means trading in/selling your old system.

Shin

Banned
Good topic...
I'm of opinion that the next generation of consoles will be at the forefront pushing 4K and 4K TV adaption.
As it stands 4K or even a GPU that can push 4k60 is among a decent group of enthusiast, but it's not mainstream at the moment and it won't be for a while.
This is where I believe consoles will catch up if not surpass the adoption to 4K when the next generation (PS5/XB2) of consoles are released.

With variable refresh rate in play and HDR the line is becoming thinner to name a few, while being more affordable. It's great for the industry as a whole.
On another note it costs approximately $175 to build a GTX 1080Ti, the rest is all profit.

rtcn63

Good topic...
I'm of opinion that the next generation of consoles will be at the forefront pushing 4K and 4K TV adaption.
As it stands 4K or even a GPU that can push 4k60 is among a decent group of enthusiast, but it's not mainstream at the moment and it won't be for a while.
This is where I believe consoles will catch up if not surpass the adoption to 4K when the next generation (PS5/XB2) of consoles are released.

With variable refresh rate in play and HDR the line is becoming thinner to name a few, while being more affordable. It's great for the industry as a whole.

A GTX 1070 should be able to do 4K/60 at medium to high settings in a lot games. It's a popular card, although 4K/30 is definitely doable with an RX480/1060. (Both paired with a decent CPU from the past 5 or so years)

It's just that- I don't think the majority of PC enthusiasts have 4K monitors. They're likely gaming 4K on TV's just like console gamers. Could be wrong.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Yup.

I dont plan on getting an XBO X. The PC I plan on building will be about $100 more and will be nice. At the same time I dont wanna build it just for gaming. We just need a more modern PC in the home.

katsais

Meh. Cool idea, I guess. But I just miss owning an Xbox console, so getting an Xbox One X is a must for me for the most part.

It will be cool to see someone get it done.

ViolentP

Meh. Cool idea, I guess. But I just miss owning an Xbox console, so getting an Xbox One X is a must for me for the most part.

It will be cool to see someone get it done.

Your level-headedness is like a strange and wonderful mythical creature.

rtcn63

With a 4k Blu ray player?

To be fair, 4K blu-ray isn't really relevant to the gaming aspect. Just like a bare bones PC being able to run production applications isn't relevant. Can any console do that?

To add to that, with PC's, optical media in any form is pretty close to dead (with regards to games).

Shin

Banned
It's just that- I don't think the majority of PC enthusiasts have 4K monitors. They're likely gaming 4K on TV's just like console gamers. Could be wrong.

I think you're spot on, with the new generation and even without that 4K Oled TV's are dropping, every dollar you save you could spend it else on a system/PC component.
Competition has somewhat revived also now that AMD has better traction, we're getting more bang for a buck. Holy grail for me is 4k/60 with all bells and whistle on consoles without sacrifice.

Peltz

This type of article always comes out for every Xbox/Playstation console. It's no mystery that consoles are cheaper to make for the same specs when launched. They're mass produced at cheap wholesale prices for every part.

rtcn63

And regarding the size issue- yes it's a win for consoles... unless you factor in quality of parts to some extent. There's a reason PC components are as a big and cool as they are, with the smaller ones usually sacrificing in noise, heat, sometimes even build and reliability, etc. Customized parts for laptops in particular. I have two 360s, a PS3, and PS4. They are... loud and hot and I've had problems particularly with the last-gen consoles. PS3 and video, 360's with misc. errors.

Now, that may not be a problem with most people, especially those who prioritize form factor and/or cost... but with PC gaming, you don't necessarily have to. You can choose to sacrifice certain aspects for others (size for performance and noise-reduction, etc.)

Well you also had that one site with the click bait title of "X1X for $600" (which is already over $500) when I'm the article, the accurate match was $900.

Anything to tear down the beast!

JaggedSac

These things are always so silly. Buy what you want based on your use cases and price thresholds. Is there really going to be someone who has $500 and they are deciding whether to buy a console or make a PC?

rtcn63

Add in the $130 cost of a XIM4 so I can kinda use a mouse and keyboard on a XOX.

I know you're referencing a post in that other thread, but most PC games can (technically) be run with a KB/M. The added cost for an XB1 controller isn't at all absolute, but it gets brought up a lot.

I don't know why people keep trying to do this. Consoles benefit from mass production, while PC's are mostly part based. These aren't compatible products for comparison in my opinion.

Plus these consoles can't replace PC's yet.

LordRaptor

There's a reason PC components are as a big and cool as they are, with the smaller ones usually sacrificing in build, nose, heat, etc. I have two 360s, a PS3, and PS4. They are... loud and hot and I've had problems particularly with the last-gen consoles.

I must admit, given MSs well publicised problems last gen, I thought it was pretty ballsy to go in hard on small form factor and a not-mass-market-tested custom vapour cooler.

rtcn63

I must admit, given MSs well publicised problems last gen, I thought it was pretty ballsy to go in hard on small form factor and a not-mass-market-tested custom vapour cooler.

Being such a major company in a mostly two-sided war, they know they can rely on the product warranty (customer service) and iterative hardware updates to handle potential problems that arise. And they're well aware console gamers prioritize form factor, home theater capabilities, and the like, so they made their bets.

Damaniel

Banned
Trying to replicate the 4k Blu-ray playback feature is going to eat up nearly all of the cost by itself. The drives are expensive, the playback requires software that costs money, and all of it will only run on a suitable Kaby Lake architecture PC. Any real solution is going to require a low-cost PC and a standalone 4K Blu-ray player.

I'd personally still take the PC route, but finding something directly competitive with the XOX at the same price is going to be impossible for the foreseeable future - unless you ignore the 4K Blu-ray playback; there will probably be competitive PC configurations by the end of the year, especially with Black Friday sales.

What is the Xbox One X GPU roughly compatible to PC wise? I'm thinking a ~ 480X / 1060? I have a GTX 1080 and 4K 60 isn't possible for most high end games though. Obviously I am running with settings maxed. Still an impressive feat for them though.

Lister

Banned
unless you ignore the 4K Blu-ray playback;

To be fair, most people do.

But yeah, I would not be looking to my Pc for that kind of media center feature. A dedicated device would be best. PC gaming beats the pants out of console gaming though in my opinion ;p

horkrux

I love the thread title. Their name is the perfect match for this. 'PC gamers all over the world in despair as Microsoft reveals new console.'

But they're mere amateurs; right of the bat you could shave off some money on that CPU by going with a dual core Pentium. An arrogant move, but the baffled look on console gamers' faces will fuel your intent to press ahead.Then you ask your cousin to get you an RX580 and sell that on ebay for a premium to one of those miners. Easy money! This will make it cheaper than the XOXO already. But we're not done yet.
Some of that money will go towards another stick of RAM to bring those babies up to 16GB. You also leave out the BD drive. You won't need it, but they were keen enough to admit that themselves at the bottom of the article. The W10 licence we grab off of ebay for 10 bucks. No questions asked.
While your console gamer friends are sweating like the walls of a vapour chamber, you assemlbe your rig. 'It can't be done' they said, but you have proven them wrong.

rtcn63

To be fair, most people do.

But yeah, I would not be looking to my Pc for that kind of media center feature. A dedicated device would be best. PC gaming beats the pants out of console gaming though in my opinion ;p

I mean, you can definitely make the argument that the XBX is a more capable/versatile media player than a $500 PC just because of the drive, but you can also argue that PC gaming is better/cheaper for online experiences because there's no universal subscription cost.

In the end, I think it's best just to compare the gaming-related hardware and performance aspects (in this thread).

The exercise isn't to build a replacement for the X, but rather a device that can perform as well as one.

Right, but I think it's worth pointing out that that price goes up with tech, the smaller you make something.

What if Microsoft could have sold Xbox X for 300 dollars instead of 500 if it had the size of a ATX PC case? I'm not saying that size would chop of 200 dollars of the asking price for Xbox X, but I'm saying is that it's not a fair comparison.
Of course it's not a fair comparison for PC as it ignores all its advantages.

Secondly, the RnD that went into the Xbox design is possible in the tens of millions (if not hundreds). It's not like a PC which is a modular system. Xboxs size factor def had something significant to do with its cost, and people are just being disingenious if they're going to ignore that.

Thirdly, you shouldn't ignore it, because mini and micro atx machines are getting fucking nuts. And thats not even getting into raspberry pi or all the amazing micro form factor gpus. Anyone seen the zotac 1080 ti mini? its fucking tiny and adorable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYazCttQgCg

I hope guys like Linus will take this as a challenge and instead of making a new "newegg build matches xbox x in apples to oranges situations"; to make a comparable sized system and see how far you can get.

Fourth: Things we still don't know about Xbox X; heat, noise, power brick(?). These things will matter. As will the build quality. This is the company that gave you red ring of death. Lets not act like Nintendo and Sony hasn't also had more and more shoddy quality control over the last few generations.

Fifth, Xbox One X looks pretty fucking sleek. There is some decent looking small form factor PCs, but I think Xbox X and S looks really sleek. They remind me of PS2 (in a good way). The reality is (like with apple) that design aeshetics also have a cost.

I think all of these factors should go into the consideration of a hypothetical debate about custom building a pc versus a console.

Xbox One X is in my mind really impresssive. As is the PS4 and PS4 pro when they came out. As is the Switch. These are all possible due to Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft buying insane volumes of materials and parts across the supply chain.

You get a lot for your money when you buy a console, and I am not insecure about saying that even if I personally prefer gaming on PC.

Top Bottom