• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade (6/11/2008) - "Whoops"

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Never forget:

20011130h.gif

I really don't get today's comic though, is it some thinly veiled spoiler?

Now this is funny.

But seriously whether or not they like MGS4 is irrelevant to me. These are the guys who thought Assassin's Creed was good as long as you didn't rush through it because it would seem like you were doing the same thing over and over if you played that way. Which of course was the case no matter how you played it.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Never forget:

I really don't get today's comic though, is it some thinly veiled spoiler?
No it's a simple joke, Gabe doesn't like MGS4 but he wants in the party, since MGS deals with government plots and conspiracy theories they use one of the oldest ones as the punchline.

eznark

Banned
Safe Bet said:
I doubt anyone hinges game purchases on ZP's or PA's opinion, so I don't understand why people get upset when they flame games.

I'm convinced it's purely to entertain me

moai

not funny.........but the reactions of mg fans makes up for it :lol
i mean, you really don't mess with this game or else................:D

Safe Bet

Banned
Prime crotch said:
No it's a simple joke, Gabe doesn't like MGS4 but he wants in the party, since MGS deals with government plots and conspiracy theories they use one of the oldest ones as the punchline.
Thank You

I "get it" now...

It is kinda funny once explained.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
My first impression was that I can totally identify with Gabe on this one.

I really want to like MGS, as it's loved by so many and the first game was so good, but after only about two hours of MGS2 I put it away because I hated the controls so damn much.

Will be retrying it soon, hopefully I'll "get it" this time.

Safe Bet

Banned
Monroeski said:
I really want to like MGS, as it's loved by so many and the first game was so good, but after only about two hours of MGS2 I put it away because I hated the controls so damn much.

Trying to find a way to express this...

*ponder*

You must understand that mastering the control scheme in MGS games is like learning to use hotkeys in a PC RTS, learing to enter combos in fighters, etc...

Player Skill is defined by the player's ablitity to enter commands effectivley while under stress so the controls are designed to be 'deep' and 'hard to master' not 'simple' nor 'easy to use'.

Also..

Don't be ashamed to play the games on Easy.

I do.

Damodar

Monroeski said:
My first impression was that I can totally identify with Gabe on this one.

Yeah, I went back and played MGS2 again a while and was pretty surprised by how much trouble the controls and camera gave me. I have absolutely nothing but fond memories of MGS1 though. Never played Snake Eater, but I'm so grabbing Guns of the Patriots tomorrow. Then I'll be poor :(

iddqd

another comic that will get funny after reading the newspost AND listening to the podcast.
nothing bad about that, its just different and more work.

Safe Bet

Banned
iddqd said:
another comic that will get funny after reading the newspost AND listening to the podcast.
nothing bad about that, its just different and more work.
I never enjoyed poetry until I went to a reading where the poet 'explained' the poem before he read it.

I guess that makes me a heathen and a cheater but I was amazed how much I enjoyed his poetry once I understood what the fuck it was about...

:(

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
It kind of saddens me that in the age of FPS games being so prevalent on Consoles, MGS isn't that relevant anymore. I still love the MGS gameplay, be it feels like people like me are getting rarer and rarer. The FPS style of game just doesn't do it for me like it has for everyone else seemingly.

Safe Bet

Banned
sykoex said:
The FPS style of game just doesn't do it for me like it has for everyone else seemingly.
The 'simple and intutive control scheme' design philosophy does seem to be the future of gaming as far as the mainstream is concerned, but hopefully the market can support more than one style.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Safe Bet said:
The 'simple and intutive control scheme' design philosophy does seem to be the future of gaming as far as the mainstream is concerned, but hopefully the market can support more than one style.
I, on the other hand, hope that every game has intuitive controls.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Safe Bet said:

*ponder*

You must understand that mastering the control scheme in MGS games is like learning to use hotkeys in a PC RTS, learing to enter combos in fighters, etc...

Player Skill is defined by the player's ablitity to enter commands effectivley while under stress so the controls are designed to be 'deep' and 'hard to master' not 'simple' nor 'easy to use'.
I spent so much time trying to figure out how to shoot a guy (silly me, I kept pressing the FIRE BUTTON and all I did was aim) that I was holding up that he counterattacked and ran off and hit an alarm. That didn't strike me as being deep, it struck me as being crappy. I understand that there is a learning curve on a lot of the sneaking stuff, as there is so much going on (leaning on walls, doing so while crouching, looking around corners, firing around corners, knocking on walls, etc.), but I also know that I should be able to figure out how to shoot a guy reliably after an hour or two of gametime instead of pressing (holding, tapping, DAMMIT) square and hoping that he'll actually fire at the guy that's walking around the corner.

Safe Bet said:
Also..

I do.
I fully intend to, if not on Very Easy. :D

Safe Bet said:

*ponder*

Also..

I do.

Did you work for Cornered Rat Software?

Fallout-NL said:
Like I said in the other thread. This is exactly how I feel about MGS, I want to like it so much.

Me too. The production values are through the roof, but the way that Kojima wants you to take the characters seriously yet portrays them in silly ways bugs the shit out of me. Also, the story is absolutely ridiculous. To top it all off, the gameplay isn't anything to write home about and there is little to no progression from the first game to the third. I really want to like the series, but I simply can't get over several issues.

So the point is that people who like MGS are crazy?

Makes sense, another jab at PS3 game and another one they can't seem to enjoy. Unthinkable.

Safe Bet said:
I doubt anyone hinges game purchases on ZP's or PA's opinion, so I don't understand why people get upset when they flame games.

In the case of Zero Punctuation, I disagree. After Yahtzee reviewed Painkiller, its sales instantly shot-up on Steam. For about a week it charted up to their top five purchases.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Wow, Penny Arcade has come a long way from being published monthly in Official Playstation Magazine to releasing their game on every platform known to man EXCEPT Playstation 3. :lol

Twig

Banned
DoctorWho said:
WTF? When did Converse All-Stars become emo-sneakers?
Couple years ago, I think.

I enjoyed the comic. People need to not take things so seriously. "OH GOD THEY'RE FLAMING MGS FANS." Right. 'Kay.

Though I do find that Tycho's write-ups often fall in line with my own opinions. For example, I enjoyed Assassin's Creed. though if they don't fix the flaws in the sequel, I will be mighty pissed.

They obsess over Eye of Judgment. There's no reason to think their opinions about MGS have anything to do with an anti-Sony bias.

As far as not releasing their game on PSN, I'd say that probably has to do with budget or not wanting Sony to have the publishing rights (a requirement since rescinded, but one that was still around when they started developing their game).

Thank god I wore Chuck Taylors way before they became 'emo'.

jaypah

Ynos Yrros said:

Makes sense, another jab at PS3 game and another one they can't seem to enjoy. Unthinkable.

i think you might have missed the point. but...whatever.

any comic that can piss off the "die-hards" so easily is golden in my book. even if i didn't find the strip amusing (i did) the responses have been awesome!

Safe Bet

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Anyone who's made it past freshman year knows we'd all still be sleeping in our own shit if not for crazy people and their impact on history.

;)

Safe Bet

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Thank god I wore Chuck Taylors way before they became 'emo'.
Chuck Taylors have always been for posers.

:p

Mama Robotnik said:
In the case of Zero Punctuation, I disagree. After Yahtzee reviewed Painkiller, its sales instantly shot-up on Steam. For about a week it charted up to their top five purchases.
Impressive...

Seriously.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Mama Robotnik said:
That is utterly creepy.

watership

Trakdown said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sound like they've been big on Metal Gear Solid since Part 2.

They were floored by the E3 video. (Who wasn't). Then they played the game and the bait and switch with Raiden and the plot going into insanity just left a bad taste in their mouth.

Dyno

I love the PA comics and the commentary. Those guys hit far more than they miss.

After reading their stuff week after week it becomes clear their game playing tastes run a tad... whimsical. They probably get more use out of their Wii then anyone on gaf. Given the choice they seem to rather play a semi-strategy title involving cute fruit or something over running and gunning in a hi-def space marine fest.

They're might not 'get' MSG because one of them runs a Pokemon night, you know what I mean? They're gamers through and through, just maybe not the type who are keen on watching old man Snake crush testicles for ammo and health kits.

(Can't wait to crush testicles for ammo AND health kits! Double Joy!)

Monroeski said:
I spent so much time trying to figure out how to shoot a guy (silly me, I kept pressing the FIRE BUTTON and all I did was aim) that I was holding up that he counterattacked and ran off and hit an alarm. That didn't strike me as being deep, it struck me as being crappy.

It's the difference between a game being "challenging" and simply being "difficult to play."

I stole that from somewhere, but I don't remember where.

But whoever said it was right, the first is designed that way to be rewarding, the second is the result of bad design. Like the original Resident Evil back in the day, I eventually learned the controls and was able to enjoy the game... but let's not pretend that they intentionally set them up that way as part of the natural learning curve. It was a flaw I had to learn to ignore.

Safe Bet said:

Safe Bet said:

Joke posts? Please?

All controls should be intuitive. Creating a difficult to use control scheme is not the way you make a game harder.

Uncle

Princess Skittles said:
That is utterly creepy.

Not at all. It's completely understandable since people probably did not know that Painkiller has a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning.

Safe Bet

Banned
Schwowsers said:
Joke posts? Please?

All controls should be intuitive. Creating a difficult to use control scheme is not the way you make a game harder.
So I guess you think all game except shooters are flawed?

Because hotkeys and button combos are far from intuitive.

If you want to grow as a gamer you must realize there is more than one school of design and your prefrence for one does not instantly nullify the others.

Azih

Safe Bet said:
So I guess you think all game except shooters are flawed?

Because hotkeys and button combos are far from intuitive.

If you want to grow as a gamer you must realize there is more than one school of design and your prefrence for one does not instantly nullify the others.
There are design choices that are just *objectively* bad though. I haven't played MGS4 but god damn the shoulder button scrolling to choose items and weapons was clunky in MGS3.

mollipen

No reason at all to have the "I've killed the president there." The official seal is in the background, that's all you need. That kind of joke explanation feels less like PA and more like VG Cats.

Top Bottom