• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade's Gabe (Mike) apologizes for being a bully.

Toadofsky

Banned
He never implies that his behavior is okay in any way. Not really sure where you're getting that from. It seems more like he's explaining, not excusing.

Social Justice Warriors tend to look for fiendish motives that aren't pertained to being genuinely sorry when it comes to apologies.

Mael

This reads like a PR prompted "apology".
I'd think people here would see it as such and treat it as such.
Kinda like the kind of apologies you see politicians do.
They're not sorry at all, they're just bothered that they need to do this to better their public image.
I guess if he's no longer an asshole that'll mean something....
Then again new year's resolutions...

Zelias

Banned
He's been an prize asshole and now he says he doesn't want to be an asshole. Giving him the benefit of the doubt costs me nothing.

If it turns out to be just so many words and he's still an asshole, then I'll be among those calling him out on it. But maybe, just maybe, he's sincere and wants to change. That would be good. One less asshole in a world overflowing with them.

Authority

Banned
When winding up an arrow to fire at PA, you want it to be about Gabe's total ignorance over trans issues and not the absolutely ridiculous dickwolves controversy. Gabe reacting to people suggesting he supported "rape culture" with withering sarcasm didn't seem particularly out of sorts to me at all. It was a circus of escalating nonsensical outrage.

That problem with Gabe and every Gabe is the way he handled and handles the issue. He will never simply admit he is wrong. He will not say,

"You know what, I am wrong. There is no excuse or bullshit philosophy about it or a story to tell. I fucked up and I fucked up big time. I know you will not forgive me and if I was you I would have done the same thing. I am not asking for that. I am just asking to be heard ".

Instead he has to go and every god dam time write a manifesto about his philosophical life-crisis shit as if he is a character living the last days of an era where he has to inform the world of his great epic resolution. That is not how it works. We are not living or watching The Last Samurai so he should just cut the crap and flashed it out.

Instead, he wants to passively again downplay the shit he said and did. And guess what is the perfect scapegoat for that? Time, the past and memories.

It takes absolutely no courage to be apologetic to the world we live in right now. Sorry for us right now, whether we like it or not, is like saying good morning - It is effortless.

Social Justice Warriors tend to look for fiendish motives that aren't pertained to being genuinely sorry when it comes to apologies.

Seriously

Tired of the high horse hyprocrites

Basically he is permanently labeled as a fiend by people who would also crumble if they were put under the microscope.

I am no saint either and I make no claims to such. You just have to be willing to be humble and admit wrongdoing. Why do you guys insist on driving the Hate train further. You act like he murdered somebody

The problem with social justice jerks is that there is nothing "Social" about their behavior. They encourage these hate driven witch hunts and refuse to acknowledge that we are all human beings and that adjusting to change isn't easy for everyone.

I like that these conversations are being had and society is trying to push for more awareness but turning people into internet whipping boys and promoting hatred and contempt towards those of opposing views is not accomplishing anything.

Get over your conspiracy theory bullshit and start trying to actually empathize and connect with people. Love makes us better people. Thats a fact.

He's been an prize asshole and now he says he doesn't want to be an asshole. Giving him the benefit of the doubt costs me nothing.

If it turns out to be just so many words and he's still an asshole, then I'll be among those calling him out on it. But maybe, just maybe, he's sincere and wants to change. That would be good. One less asshole in a world overflowing with them.

Wise, pony-ish words.

Personally, I doubt his resolution because it's a New Year's resolution. This is the time for making crap promises (often to yourself) you have no strong inclination to keep. People who make meaningful resolutions generally do so in the time and place where doing so proves to be necessary and valuable, not on some arbitrary date set aside for briefly acknowledging faults before lapsing into bad behavior.

That said, if he does backslide into the same cycle of behavior, then I just don't pay any attention to him. There's no longer going to be a Penny Arcade Report or PATV, and PAX stopped being about the comic years ago. He's honestly not that hard to ignore these days, no matter how people make it seem.

Kadayi

Banned
How about actually apologizing to specific people for the specific hate-filled things he said? He said "sorry" but he didn't even say what he was sorry for.

Are you MickeyKnox's spokesperson?

Because he did that already, several times. Now he's identifying the root of the problem.

Baby steps.

Yeah. I honestly don't get why an acknowledgement and general apology isn't enough. When exactly does the line get drawn and people move on with their lives? The guy said some things some people took exception to. He's acknowledged that he was out of line. I don't see why a protracted apology citing everyone from 'offended from Idaho' is required specifically.

Authority

Banned
Lets try this with full rationality. No half-jobs.

You guys are a tough crowd. He apologized. How about give the man the benefit of the doubt and wait and see.

How many times has he apologized? Find me the exact number. And since it is going to be more than once, then I am guessing there is no benefit of a doubt is there? Well that is what logic dictates.

That does not mean he can't change. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter anymore.

Seriously

Tired of the high horse hyprocrites

Basically he is permanently labeled as a fiend by people who would also crumble if they were put under the microscope.

I am no saint either and I make no claims to such. You just have to be willing to be humble and admit wrongdoing. Why do you guys insist on driving the Hate train further. You act like he murdered somebody

The problem with social justice jerks is that there is nothing "Social" about their behavior. They encourage these hate driven witch hunts and refuse to acknowledge that we are all human beings and that adjusting to change isn't easy for everyone.

I like that these conversations are being had and society is trying to push for more awareness but turning people into internet whipping boys and promoting hatred and contempt towards those of opposing views is not accomplishing anything.

Get over your conspiracy theory bullshit and start trying to actually empathize and connect with people. Love makes us better people. Thats a fact.

I am not

Running a witch hunt.
Payed by his enemies.
Payed by his competition.
Have a hatetheworld neurosis.
Social Justice Warrior.

So for me since I will always speak for my self and represent my self, this is justice. This has absolutely nothing to do with being human or relating to errors with Gabe.

He got what he deserved like we all get what we deserve. Want me to say that I am an asshole just like him? I said it, I am an asshole just like him and even worse. But I will never expect for some things to be forgiven. It just doesn't happen no matter if the other person says that he will forgive you. That shows respect; being aware that you have done a major fuck up and no other word or action will give you the "So what?" pillow. It is being realistic.

We all fuck up - That is not something new.

But blood doesn't turn to water - Which means that what has happened, happened, end of story. If he wanted to change, really change, he should not have made his voice public again with the same sorry ass excuse. He should have just let his actions speak for themselves without having this narcissistic need to put the "I am a changed man right now" tag on his forehead.

This is turning to some religious story telling time.

That is my stance and that is how I see it. If you want to see that I am being part of a hate chain then so be it.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
It really doesn't.

To be honest I don't fully understand Mike's transgressions, but do people here *really* believe he's out there twirling his moustache, smirking to himself while thinking, "Ha! That bullshit, publicly embarrassing apology I just made sure did pull the wool over the communities eyes! Now because I admitted that I've become what I beheld I can continue being an insensitive asshole and noone can criticize me because I already said sorry once!"

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
So, I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly:

Mike does nothing and the internet gets outraged.

Ok.

Mike apologizes, and the internet gets outraged.

R4hC2Bo.jpg

Zoc

Yeah. I honestly don't get why an acknowledgement and general apology isn't enough. When exactly does the line get drawn and people move on with their lives? The guy said some things some people took exception to. He's acknowledged that he was out of line. I don't see why a protracted apology citing everyone from 'offended from Idaho' is required specifically.

If a friend of mine insulted me by saying - let's say - that my kids were ugly, this is the apology I would want: "I only said your kids were ugly because I wanted to hurt you. I'm sorry and I take it back." What I wouldn't give two shits about was an open letter to the internet explaining, generally, why he was an asshole.

Authority

Banned
To be honest I don't fully understand Mike's transgressions, but do people here *really* believe he's out there twirling his moustache, smirking to himself while thinking, "Ha! That bullshit, publicly embarrassing apology I just made sure did pull the wool over the communities eyes! Now because I admitted that I've become what I beheld I can continue being an insensitive asshole and noone can criticize me because I already said sorry once!"

No of course I do not believe that.

What I believe is that he is at the bottom of the barrel trying to figure out his shit. But if he wants to move forward he must accept that he got exactly what he deserved and there is nothing to downplay that.

I follow gaming industry news and gossip almost religiously, but all this Penny Arcade drama has always eluded me. All I ever hear when people mention something about Penny Arcade is "dick wolves this" or "dick wolves that". The last time I followed a story about Penny Arcade was when they helped out that one dude who got shafted by a one Mr. Paul Christoforo.

It makes literally no sense to do anything less than move on.

Trying to figure out if some dude actually changed (he didn't... that shit takes time to work through) is ridiculous

The one conclusion to draw here is that he is admitting self awareness. Either way he recognizes that he should no longer be the FACE of PAX since like most other human beings its pretty easy to be reviled in the public eye unless you are very experienced at being there. Hell even the pros mess up.

He didn't deserve the level of exposure and ridicule just like the people he marginalized didn't deserve the treatment he gave them

Learn how to deal with these things in a positive way. There is no way in hell people are going to ever bee 100% aware and sensitive to others. We really need to find better ways to address these issues that don't involve hateful public flogging.

I am sure people will point to this as a success but I imagine the criticisms that hit him the hardest were the reasonable and heartfelt pleas telling him that the way he handled the situation truly hurt.

Its the hateful and ridiculous attacks that spur people to react in hurtful ways in return

Yanksfan

This is basically what I got from that.

"Sorry I've been an asshole but people were assholes to me as children so it's ok for me to be an asshole as a fully-grown adult."

It gets better as it goes on but I feel like he spends the first two paragraphs painting himself with the most sympathetic brush available.

Or it could just be an honest self appraisal. A legitimate apology isn't always scripted to sound the best, but is a good look at what one has done wrong, sometimes analyzing why and showcasing the need to do things differently moving forward.

He has taken a lot of flak for some of his behaviors. I don't mind that he takes a few paragraphs to set the stage and discuss some other parameters that is in relation to it.

kiguel182

I can't believe some people are angry at him for this...

He admits that he is wrong and apologizes for that while giving some context to this actions.

This must have been hard to write so good for him for doing it, hopefully he will be more careful in the future and will learn from past mistakes so this text isn't in vain.

Shinta

Banned
I can't believe some people are angry at him for this...
It's just so ironically sad too.

Basically fully justifies his asshole armor when people still attack him for a very introspective, intimate commitment to be a better person in the new year.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I thought it was a well written apology for his actions and a real want to be a better person.

I think there's a lot of people into gaming especially growing up in his age bracket who deal with things the same way he does.. hell I have friends who do it or did it.

BibiMaghoo

He strikes me as a man of pride, and so writing something like this for the internet to all read and laugh at or empathise with, is a bold move.

I appreciate it, it means more than nothing. Let's see how it really plays out before calling him a fraud. A man can appologise for a wrong, but then do it again anyway. Maybe that will be the case, maybe it won't. We will see.

J-Rod

When I read the topic title, I guessed it wasn't going to be an apology and was actually going to be another self absorbed essay about his life and sob stories of him being bullied. Grow the fuck up already guys, your life isn't that tragic.

I feel like I'm missing some drama here to get so many posters riled up. What did he do that was so bad? This isn't just about the dick wolves thing years ago right?

When I read the topic title, I guessed it wasn't going to be an apology and was actually going to be another self absorbed essay about his life and sob stories of him being bullied. Grow the fuck up already guys, your life isn't that tragic.

I don't understand how thats a bad thing

What else can he draw form outside of personal experience. IT may or may not be actually relevant to what triggered his response to the Dickwolves comics but at least he is looking for an answer

Why do people insist on being a dick in response to someone trying not to be? Even if you doubt that he is genuine be the bigger person to set an example.

EmiPrime

This would have been a lot more sincere if he spent more time apologising for specific things he has done and said and where relevant what he is going to do to make amends rather than making excuses for the way he is. A lot of us were bullied when we were children and we didn't grow up to be massive arseholes like he is.

If he wants to improve then great, but this is a good example of how not to write a sincere apology. If you make your apology all about you rather than the people you wronged then you are doing it wrong.

I am also kind of missing the point...

Dickwolves Comic makes rape reference

People get offended

Gabe brushes off the criticisms and proceeds to instigate the offended parties further by making dick wolves t shirts etc....

Honestly his treatment of his critics was more offensive than the actual comic IMHO

But without the rape culture angle the Social Justice pricks wouldn't have the push they needed to rage bait Gabe into making himself look even more like an asshole

It escalated further from there... I am sure some other people can fill in the blanks since I stopped following shortly after it got ridiculous

itsgreen

Dickwolves Comic makes rape reference

People get offended

Gabe brushes off the criticisms and proceeds to instigate the offended parties further by making dick wolves t shirts etc....

Honestly his treatment of his critics was more offensive than the actual comic IMHO

But without the rape culture angle the Social Justice pricks wouldn't have the push they needed to rage bait Gabe into making himself look even more like an asshole

It escalated further from there... I am sure some other people can fill in the blanks since I stopped following shortly after it got ridiculous

Ah ok.

I found the Dickwolves hilarious and was pretty much on his side in that. So have no problem with that.

Manu

This would have been a lot more sincere if he spent more time apologising for specific things he has done and said and where relevant what he is going to do to make amends rather than making excuses for the way he is. A lot of us were bullied when we were children and we didn't grow up to be massive arseholes like he is.

BUT THAT WAS EXACTLY THE POINT OF WHAT HE WROTE

UGH

Ah ok.

I found the Dickwolves hilarious and was pretty much on his side in that. So have no problem with that.

It was definitely insensitive and irresponsible for him to actively antagonize his critics like that. Very immature.

Its basically like finding the people from your youtube comments in real life and teepeeing their house. (wow I suck at analogies)

The escalation got bad because they drew parallels between the comic and insensitivity to rape victims which was a stretch to begin with but easy to pin on him because his antics created tons of exposure. You know. The stuff the Social Justice crews crave

EVOL 100%

The stupidest thing about the dickwolves debacle was that the rape reference never was the punchline of the joke. Instead of pointing that out and promising to be more careful in the future(or do something else to settle the situation), PA decided to react in the dumbest fucking way possible and it blew up in their faces.

Anyways, while the apology does seem rather sincere, and actually seems to be a genuine apology compared to the non-apologies he's given in the past, I'd be more willing to give him the benefit of doubt if he didn't constantly make an ass out of himself for the last few years. Hopefully this time it'll last.

Mael

It's the new year and a long day for some.
Could some kind soul point to the apology part of the text?
It seems to be lost on many here.
Is it in the part where he says he's a jerk? the part where he talk about how big PAX became? the part about his past maybe?

Wait, this really is just about dick wolves? Did he actually genetically engineer a wolf with dicks for legs in the meantime because that was 2010? Does this issue just keep getting brought up causing Mike to insult people every other month? Is that what this is really about? If so what did he say?

Pociask

Holy Cow. The guy just laid down on the therapist couch and told his life story to the entire internet. For people who have never tried, it is extremely difficult to do that to an actual therapist in a private office who keeps everything confidential. And he went and did it on the entire internet. He says how he used to think he was a crusading avatar, but he's now realized he's just a jerk and a bully. And he says that he's trying to change (hopefully, through some form of talk therapy, although there are certainly many avenues).

And people on the internet get pissed off and say it's just a bunch of PR? I guess it's true. We are in an age of cynicism, and everybody's a critic.

some kind of context would be nice, I don't know why he is asking for forgiveness or trying to excuse himself.

Here's the thing I think a lot of people are missing. In the past, he's made apologies in reaction to some fiasco, like "oh shit, here's all this drama, I guess I need to nut up and say I'm sorry for being a douche".

This is just a result of some introspection, and as a dude with a platform, he's able to put this shit out there. Frankly, this is the level of shit that I would confide to my wife or a couple of my close friends, and that's it. If I was asked to put something like this out there for millions to see, I would be terrified.

I mean say what you will about the guy, but this was an unprovoked introspection. There was no controversy that spurred this, no flame war that precipitated it. It's an apology for him being himself, and wanting to be better. Can't it just be that?

It's not impossible that he's bluffing, but if he is bluffing, he's going all in here. Every single chip in the pot.

The backlash would be enormous if it was found out that he was lying in order to manipulate people's emotions. It's one thing to be an asshole to rape victims or transgender people. They're a minority. Some people would back him up. Lie to every single person in your readership? Hoo boy. That would sink the whole ship.

Not really inclined to believe he's lying myself, considering the potential consequences if he was.

... what? Why would you even DO these mental gymnastics?

Here's the thing I think a lot of people are missing. In the past, he's made apologies in reaction to some fiasco, like "oh shit, here's all this drama, I guess I need to nut up and say I'm sorry for being a douche".

This is just a result of some introspection, and as a dude with a platform, he's able to put this shit out there. Frankly, this is the level of shit that I would confide to my wife or a couple of my close friends, and that's it. If I was asked to put something like this out there for millions to see, I would be terrified.

I mean say what you will about the guy, but this was an unprovoked introspection. There was no controversy that spurred this, no flame war that precipitated it. It's an apology for him being himself, and wanting to be better. Can't it just be that?

Nice to see some reasonable people exist

Shout out to the rest of you with a level head on your shoulders that actually want to set a positive example and strive for something better instead of cowardly throwing insults behind a screen and keyboard

What are these homophobic or transphobic things Gabe has said? All I know was of how he reacted during the dickwolves fiasco.

I only ever heard people claim he was insensitive to the plight of rape victims because he antagonized the critics of the Dickwolves comics

Shinta

Banned
Nice to see some reasonable people exist

Shout out to the rest of you with a level head on your shoulders that actually want to set a positive example and strive for something better instead of cowardly throwing insults behind a screen and keyboard

The most ironic part of their insults, is that they have basically turned into exactly what he described in his post. Social justice warriors that feel they have been victimized or bullied in some way, and so they manifest this very aggressive, no tolerance, witch hunt style of rebuttal.

And just like how he did, they are basically the bullies now, and have very limited ability to actually discuss things with people who disagree with them. It's kind of hilarious how similar they are to the person they hate.

Top Bottom