• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People accidentally buy stuff on PS4; Sony does not offer refunds

Joni

If they do not want users using their DS4s wirelessly with their PS4s they can disable it, just like they did with the PS3.
They can't disable it like they did on the PS3, because it isn't disabled on the PS3... As I have shown earlier in this topic, the DualShock 3 works in an identical way as described in the OP when plugging into a PC.

Sorian

Banned
Let's be real. People will complain if it's on or off. This isn't the case of whether or not it should be there or not. It is point blank. It doesn't matter if Sony had the standing in the argument to see that he had password protection and took it off. He would still want a refund because of the fact that the DS4 or Sony didn't specifically say that it can control both consoles at the same time. At which this argument would stay in place. Since the protection is there and it possibly isn't his first purchase on PSN, it is still not Sony's obligation. But it wouldn't hurt to give him the refund.

Of course the argument would be there. If the sky turned red tomorrow, people would be arguing that its still blue, that isn't the point. The point is, if you could point to something that was definitely this guy's fault then less people would be arguing for his side. Personally, I don't think the whole DS4 thing is a bug, I understand why it occurs and the only real thing sony could have done is warned against it but its been known for awhile that their controllers do this, the DS3 was the same way. It boils down to the fact that money is super important to this guy it may have been a lot and he shouldn't be losing it to a multi-billion dollar company because of an accidental error like this and the company should have at least shipped the console with a safeguard over purchases. If it had then this would have just been a haha joke about how he was controlling to systems at once and oops whatever
or it would have been a thread about how he deleted all of his ACIV save data while playing DS2 on the PS3 but that's a different beast

linkboy

The PS3 can't tell it is a DS4 that is currently synced to a PS4 and hence accepts inputs just like it does with any other generic controller. It is impossible for you to sync to a PS4 after you connect to a PS3. If you already have a connection to a PS4, the PS3 cannot tell that the DS4 has another connection and hence 1 controller now controls 2 systems. Its not a technical fault its how the controller and the PS3 works.

Aaaand I'm out. Many in this thread being purposefully obtuse.

Me too, I've been trying to explain that to people for a while now, and they're either being stubborn on purpose or can't comprehend what I'm typing.

Sorian

Banned
I'm going to call BS on this because the guy and his nephew got a refund, that wasn't blazing media nor PR lines. Even when Sony has awesome customer service situations that are even more complex than this they don't get recognize... But leave it to someone, the one person who didn't have their way because of specifics and we have a 19 page thread about the rest of us being ignorant because we all didn't experience or expect the same thing.

Call BS all you want, amazon is the walking proof of my claim.

Clockwork

Then Sony owes them the refund because the DS4 was working with the PS3, which is apparently impossible. So they can assume the controller they're using is not a DS4, since it doesn't work with the PS3 according to you. Thus the user should have been able to reasonably assume the controller wouldn't be controlling their PS4 since only DS4s can control PS4s wirelessly.

The DS4 works with the PS3 when plugged in via USB cable. Basic functions work as intended, but vibration/motion sensing does not.

If you press the PS button (hence turning on your PS4 and pairing wirelessly) then plug it in it will control your PS3 via USB while controlling your PS4 via Bluetooth.

If you don't press the PS button and just connect to PS3 via USB then press the PS button it won't do anything to the PS4. It never turns it on and it never pairs.

I just tested this myself.

Because there's no proof that this is what really happened other than people's word.
If Sony can tell whether the games have been played - say even by trophy data at minimum, they have nothing to lose by processing those refunds.

I don't see how being stubborn helps anybody here.

I'm going to call BS on this because the guy and his nephew got a refund, that wasn't blazing media nor PR lines. Even when Sony has awesome customer service situations that are even more complex than this they don't get recognize... But leave it to someone, the one person who didn't have their way because of specifics and we have a 19 page thread about the rest of us being ignorant because we all didn't experience or expect the same thing.

Yes and this is a rep by rep basis. There was a thread about an Amazon rep who didn't want to give this guy a refund for his purchase, so happen that he talked to another rep and got the refund and a coupon code for the inconvenience. So does that mean Amazon customer service was good or bad because that one rep was willing to the extra mile and the other wasn't?

It depends how many bad reps Amazon has.

Joni

If you press the PS button (hence turning on your PS4 and pairing wirelessly) it will control your PS3 via USB while controlling your PS4 via Bluetooth.
If the PlayStation 3 in your example is already turned on, it won't turn on the PS4. If the PS3 in your example is turned off, it won't turn on the PS3 because it can't recognize the PS Button.

If Sony can tell whether the games have been played - say even by trophy data at minimum, they have nothing to lose by processing those refunds.
The guy has trophy data for FIFA because he has played it, using a disk.

Trey

It's like you refuse to comprehend what I've typed, the caution or the seat belt of my analogy would be a password.

You specifically cited the controller in that post I quoted, but okay.

Your analogy still doesn't hold because you don't have an active relationship with the car manufacturer when it comes to wearing a seatbelt or not, and the seat belt is protecting against loss of life. And more people know that wearing your seat belt is a good idea than password protect is almost necessary when dealing with online store.

So the stakes and contexts of the situations are completely different.

Furthermore, there is no default-on function when it comes to most cars. You always get into the car and chose to put on your seat belt, whether it's the law or not. With the default-on password protect, you have no choice but to have it in place or opt out.

And to your point of "how will people learn not to make mistakes," what will it matter if people can't make the mistake in the first place? Instead of assumptions of what people know, make sure they understand by forcing consumers to opt out of password protect.

Clockwork

If the PlayStation 3 in your example is already turned on, it won't turn on the PS4. If the PS3 in your example is turned off, it won't turn on the PS3 because it can't recognize the PS Button.

I don't know what point you're trying to make.

Handy Fake

They should put a sticker on the controllers for those amongst the population who have trouble tying their own shoelaces. Something along the lines of instructions on a packet of toothpicks, or the warning "May contain traces of nut" on a packet of KP Nuts.

Sorian

Banned
They should put a sticker on the controllers for those amongst the population who have trouble tying their own shoelaces. Something along the lines of instructions on a packet of toothpicks, or the warning "May contain traces of nut" on a packet of KP Nuts.

Ah yes, some people don't have your expertise in bluetooth technology so it would be better to put them down. Classy.

Cbajd5

The PS3 can't tell it is a DS4 that is currently synced to a PS4 and hence accepts inputs just like it does with any other generic controller. It is impossible for you to sync to a PS4 after you connect to a PS3. If you already have a connection to a PS4, the PS3 cannot tell that the DS4 has another connection and hence 1 controller now controls 2 systems. Its not a technical fault its how the controller and the PS3 works.

Aaaand I'm out. Many in this thread being purposefully obtuse.

The point of that was to point out how it's stupid to bring in the fact the PS3 can't tell a DS4 is a DS4. The problem is that the controller can send the same control signals to multiple devices at once, especially to two different devices. If they can't prevent this, they can at least prevent the PS4 from allowing easy purchases when it's reasonable to assume this is happening, for example when the controller is connected to an outside power source but also controlling the PS4. The minor inconvenience of having to momentarily unplug the controller or having to enter your password if you absolutely can't for some reason would easily prevent this.

They can't disable it like they did on the PS3, because it isn't disabled on the PS3... As I have shown earlier in this topic, the DualShock 3 works in an identical way as described in the OP when plugging into a PC.

Can you wirelessly connect a DS4 to a PS3 (via Bluetooth)? As far as I know this is impossible. I know it's possible to conect it with a USB cable, and connect it wirelessly to a PC (via Bluetooth).

Marceles

They should turn on the "verify password to buy" option on their consoles to prevent that from happening. That really sucks that it happened though. At least they didn't buy NBA Live

Joni

I don't recall saying you could turn on the PS3 with it.
In that case your example is mainly wrong and/or incomplete. Depending on the way you work, the following would be untrue: "If you press the PS button (hence turning on your PS4 and pairing wirelessly) it will control your PS3 via USB while controlling your PS4 via Bluetooth."

Can you wirelessly connect a DS4 to a PS3 (via Bluetooth)? As far as I know this is impossible. I know it's possible to conect it with a USB cable, and connect it wirelessly to a PC (via Bluetooth).
No, you can't wirelessly connect your DS4 to a PS3.

Branduil

They should not only refund this, but all digital purchases should have a refund option within 24 hours or so if you haven't played the game. I don't see why people should settle for less consumer rights.

Clockwork

In that case your example is mainly wrong and/or incomplete. Depending on the way you work, the following would be untrue: "If you press the PS button (hence turning on your PS4 and pairing wirelessly) it will control your PS3 via USB while controlling your PS4 via Bluetooth.".

User hits the PS button on DS4 turning on PS4. User turns on PS3. User plugs DS4 into PS3 via USB. User is sending control data to both PS3 (via USB) and to PS4 (via Bluetooth)

How is that incorrect?

Second situation was user turns on PS3. User plugs DS4 into PS3 via USB. User hits PS button and it does nothing. DS4 can't connect to PS4. User only has control of PS3.

My message is no different than before.

I think these guys will get a refund as long as they keep complaining. And then we'll be left with a thread full of people that think a big corporation should be meaner than they do themselves. Of course they'll all rush in afterwards to say how amazing Sony is for offering a refund when they didn't have to and the same pattern will repeat next time.

This is stupid. Sony is right not to give them a refund. it's user error. Can't believe some people are siding with the guy.

And I can't believe people want to see someone that made an honest mistake that harms nobody lose out in favour of a big corporation.

Sorian

Banned
I think these guys will get a refund as long as they keep complaining. And then we'll be left with a thread full of people that think a big corporation should be meaner than they do themselves. Of course they'll all rush in afterwards to say how amazing Sony is for offering a refund when they didn't have to and the same pattern will repeat next time.

It's the Soni- sorry, the Consumer Cycle.

Clockwork

Then how haven't they disabled using the DS4 with the PS3 wirelessly? And why can't they do the same if they don't want people using the DS4 wirelessly with their PS4s?

Because the PS4 is designed to recognize the DS4, especially after being paired with the console. Seeing as they are made for each other, why wouldn't you want this functionality?

The PS3 won't recognize it wirelessly because it doesn't know wtf it is. If you plug it in via USB the PS3 still doesn't know it's a DS4, it just knows it is a generic USB device work basic functionality.

Joni

Then how haven't they disabled using the DS4 with the PS3 wirelessly? And why can't they do the same if they don't want people using the DS4 wirelessly with their PS4s?

I don't think I quite get what you mean.
- They can't disable the PlayStation 3 using the DualShock 4. it is just seeing some random USB controller, which is why it can't support any advanced stuff. It also can't tell to turn off the Bluetooth to the controller. They can't disable this without disabling support of all random controllers.
- They want you to use the DualShock 4 wirelessly on the PS4. That is one of the important features. They're not going to remove that. If you're connected wirelessly to the PS4, it won't turn off the controller because you plugged it into some random USB port as long as that USB port doesn't belong to another PS4, which would send out a turn off bluetooth signal.
- The PS3 can't recognize the wireless signal of the Dualshock 4. It is another frequency/signal than the DS3 signal. That is why they don't interfere, and why they can't be linked.

User hits the PS button on DS4 turning on PS4. User turns on PS3. User plugs DS4 into PS3 via USB. User is sending control data to both PS3 (via USB) and to PS4 (via Bluetooth)
My message is no different than before.
Yes, that is correct. The "turns it on manually" is an important addition.

Clockwork

I did realize this could be useful for cross platform comparisons though when you need to mirror the exact same actions when recording footage.

And I can't believe people want to see someone that made an honest mistake that harms nobody lose out in favour of a big corporation.

At first it was a mistake, then it was bad customer service, now it's because specifics on how the controller that wasn't intended for the system is was being used on should work wasn't specified. I mean at which point do you say who's at fault or not? Is ALL of this Sony's fault or is there some part of it that is a user error? That's what I'm trying to get at. I'm well past the point of the refund, because as said a million times in the thread, no one is saying he shouldn't, but not obligated.

Sorian

Banned
I did realize this could be useful for cross platform comparisons though when you need to mirror the exact same actions when recording footage.

Huh, that's pretty cool. I hadn't thought of that.

At first it was a mistake, then it was bad customer service, now it's because specifics on how the controller that wasn't intended for the system is was being used on should work wasn't specified. I mean at which point do you say who's at fault or not? Is ALL of this Sony's fault or is there some part of it that is a user error? That's what I'm trying to get at. I'm well past the point of the refund, because as said a million times in the thread, no one is saying he shouldn't, but not obligated.

It is more user error than Sony's error, for sure.

linkboy

That's what I've been trying to explain to you the past 3 pages.

The DS4 only works with a PS4 over a wireless connection. Even if it's physically plugged in, it still sends every over Bluetooth.

The DS4 doesn't work with a PS3 over Bluetooth because it doesn't support it. It has no clue what a DS4 is (same way a DS3 doesn't work on a PS4).

The only reason the DS4 even works on the PS3 in the first place was because the PS3 was designed to support as many USB devices as possible.

Sony can't disable the DS4 from connecting to a PS4 over a wireless connection because its the only way it works.

Red Comet

Personally I think you should be allowed a refund for all digital purchases before downloading them to allow people to correct mistaken purchases, etc.

Cbajd5

Because the PS4 is designed to recognize the DS4, especially after being paired with the console.

The PS3 won't recognize it wirelessly because it doesn't know wtf it is. If you plug it in via USB the PS3 still doesn't know it's a DS4, it just knows it is a generic USB device work basic functionality.

It (the DualShock4) cannot be synced to a PS4 via Bluetooth.

I don't think I quite get what you mean.
- They can't disable the PlayStation 3 using the DualShock 4. it is just seeing some random USB controller, which is why it can't support any advanced stuff. It also can't tell to turn off the Bluetooth to the controller. They can't disable this without disabling support of all random controllers.
- They want you to use the DualShock 4 wirelessly on the PS4. That is one of the important features. They're not going to remove that. If you're connected wirelessly to the PS4, it won't turn off the controller because you plugged it into some random USB port as long as that USB port doesn't belong to another PS4, which would send out a turn off bluetooth signal.

This line of responses is to you saying:

Which they clearly have done so with the PS3. They obviously don't want you to based on the above support article saying that the DS4 can't be synced with the PS4, which makes this Sony's problem since it's possible to do so and they did not purposefully disable it like they did with the PS3. Or people can accept it's a typo on the official support page where Sony officially supports using the DS4 with the PS3 and stop saying the page should be ignored because of a one character typo.

Joni

Which they clearly have done so with the PS3. They obviously don't want you to based on the above support article saying that the DS4 can't be synced with the PS4, which makes this Sony's problem since it's possible to do so and they did not purposefully disable it like they did with the PS3.
If you connect a PlayStation 3 controller to a PC while it is wirelessly connected to a PS3; it can still control the PS3.
If you connect a PlayStation 4 controller to a PS3 while it is wireslessly connected to a PS4, it can still control the PS4.
--> The architecture still works the same way. I want to know what they disable with the PS3.

alatif113

If you connect a PlayStation 3 controller to a PC while it is wirelessly connected to a PS3; it can still control the PS3.
If you connect a PlayStation 4 controller to a PS3 while it is wireslessly connected to a PS4, it can still control the PS4.
--> The architecture still works the same way. I want to know what they disable with the PS3.

Just give up.

You'll notice I haven't assigned blame to anyone or anything. At the end of the day it was an accidental purchase. I just think it would be nice to know that if I ever bought something by mistake I'd be able to get a refund. They've done it in cases like the nephew one and they should do it here. I don't care about what they're legally obligated to do in the slightest. No ones looking for a lawsuit, just some good customer service.

Trey

It is more user error than Sony's error, for sure.

I break it down like this:

Sony does not have consumer friendly digital policies in place. Sony did not say that the DS4 would continue to transmit to the PS4 when in use with another console. Sony won't offer a "goodwill" refund.

The consumer didn't opt in to password protection. The consumer didn't turn off the PS4 before using the DS4 with the PS3. The consumer played a PS3 and PS3 game with a DS4.

Any one of those sentences not being true, and we probably don't have this situation. A person's particular opinion on each respective statement is probably how they feel who's to "blame."

Cbajd5

The ability to connect a DS4 to it wirelessly, since it's disabled with the PS3 but works with the PS4 and PCs, as stated on the support page in the case of PCs. This has nothing to do with PS3 controllers connecting to other things. (As they don't officially support that.)

Jesus Christ, how else do you think it communicates with the PS4? Magic?

You're purposely being asinine.

Because others are saying we have to accept everything on that support page or none of it.

I'm trying to say it's a typo, and that the support page is still valid as evidence of Sony supporting the DS4 on the PS3.

joecanada

They should not only refund this, but all digital purchases should have a refund option within 24 hours or so if you haven't played the game. I don't see why people should settle for less consumer rights.

I think the question was already asked, how do you return the actual product? If there was a,way for Sony to disable the game on your system then I would agree but don't forget even with physical copies of a game noone will refund your money you can only trade for a working copy so basically noone returns games now, I'm not sure why sony is held to this standard. I'm not against the idea but how to make it practical...

Also I'm a little surprised by the posts here saying sony should warn you that your controller may indeed control the system it was designed to. If you program your tv remote to control your cablebox, it's still going to control the TV, that's the default.
If you leave your ps4 on, the ds4 will control it...

Sorian

Banned
Jesus Christ, how else do you think it communicates with the PS4? Magic?

You're purposely being asinine.

I thought it was pixie dust which, if you must know, is completely different than magic. You see pixies are capable of basic levels of magic but pixie dust, itself, has no magical properties. It would be easier to think of pixie dust as a conductor of sorts. Once it has made itself into the air, it spreads itself around the room, much like a gas would. Pixie dust allows a lot of things to pass through it quickly and effectively, including magic. So while some may believe that the magic is what causes the DS4 to communicate with the PS4, I'd actually argue that without the pixie dust, most game would be unplayable because of the lag time in between your bursts of magic leaving the controller to when they finally make their way to input port of the PS4.

Edit for clarification: The PS4 exhaust vents are so loud during gameplay because they keep a steady flow of pixie dust coming into the room.

I've requested a refund with SEN on three separate occasions, all for stupid stuff like not realizing the product I was buying was for a device I do not own or accidentally buying a full game because its free on PS+ and I thought I was on my PS+ account but I was not. Like I said, extremely stupid stuff. Sony refunded me on all three occasions, twice with adding money to my account wallet and once directly refunding the money to my bank account.

Suppose a large part of it is just who you happen to get to respond to your inquiry. My experiences have been extremely pleasant though.

Always offer refunds when the situations are reasonable. It's good customer service which is ultimately good business.

The defense force for a "no refunds" policy is pretty baffling. I know some people have a preference to shy away from and shield themselves from anything negative about their favorite brands and companies (such is the nature of the kind of insecurity that tends to infect the minds of many gamers), but there's really no excuse for not being pro-consumer about these sorts of refund scenarios. And there for damn sure isn't an excuse for consumers to pitch a tent on top of anti-consumer policies unless you own shares.

Do better, people.

REFUND. Anything else is ridiculous. It was a mistake. Revoke the license, refund. How hard is that?
shouldn't be hard at all.

Top Bottom