• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People accidentally buy stuff on PS4; Sony does not offer refunds

McSpidey

This is pretty simple.

1: It's your fault, not Sonys.
2: Sony should have a general refund mechanism (as should all merchants), the terms of which would likely be up for debate but its existence shouldn't but likely will be anyway.

Ok lets do this...

You have a PS3 on and playing with a PS4 controller

You also have a PS4 on

What do you expect the ON ps4 to do while you press buttons on the DS4, not do anything?

That is what you call a poorly designed system?

I would call it lack of common sense and bad luck on the part of consumer

No, the problem is not what I would do, it's what I would expect other people to do.

Would I expect every single person who performs this chain of events to come to the correct conclusion that the PS4 would continue to be controlled? No, I wouldn't, because a lot of people would (perfectly reasonably) assume that connecting by cable would cause the controller to cease sending a wireless signal. There's nothing "stupid" about that assumption, it just turns out that it's wrong, and so I maintain that this is something Sony should have addressed in development and certainly should refund for now.

Sony didn't design a flawed system because they never advertised DS4 compatability with PS3. Shu stated it would work in limited capacity, so use it at your own risk. Plus, if you didn't investigate why the PS4 had turned on after the beep then you kind of deserve it because you could have prevented it.

Read the OP, the PS4 did not turn itself on.

Caayn

What do you expect device Z to do when its turned on and controller A is turned on too.... go ahead..
Nothing, it should do nothing simple as that.

Same as I connect my Wii mote to the WiiU and have the Wii on at the same time, Wii does nothing.

Or if my wireless mouse is connected via a charge cable to PC A while the receiver is still in PC B. PC A responds while PC B does nothing.

Joni

Sony didn't design a flawed system because they never advertised DS4 compatability with PS3. Shu stated it would work in limited capacity, so use it at your own risk. Plus, if you didn't investigate why the PS4 had turned on after the beep then you kind of deserve it because you could have prevented it.
It doesn't turn on, it has to be already on.

No, I wouldn't, because a lot of people would (perfectly reasonably) assume that connecting by cable would cause the controller to cease sending a wireless signal.
Does your iPad stop working when it is connected to your PC for charging? These things are just USB charging cables when connected to the incorrect machine. I have my DualShock 3 plugged into the PC for the moment, but I can't still control the PS3 to which it is linked.

Same as I connect my Wii mote to the WiiU and have the Wii on at the same time, Wii does nothing.

Or if my wireless mouse is connected via a charge cable to PC A while the receiver is still in PC B. PC A responds while PC B does nothing.
And what do you expect if your mouse is connected to a PlayStation 3 or your WiiMote to a PC?

Shinta

Banned

Playing Dark Souls 2, and you deserve to lose $60 on a game you don't want, totally without your knowledge?

Deserve.

What is wrong with you guys?

Socreges

Banned
How are people okay with this?

When I'm using controller A, that's meant for device Z, on device X it shouldn't also control device Z. Especially when the maker officially stated that it also supports, albeit limited, device X.
The beauty of this is that Sony is currently denying that controller A is even capable of simultaneously controlling Device X and Z. Yet so many have come in here to defend them, arguing that it's a common sense inference.

Joni

The beauty of this is that Sony is currently denying that controller A is even capable of simultaneously controlling Device X and Z. Yet so many have come in here to defend them, arguing that it's a common sense inference.
We're smarter than Sony.

The DS3 turns off wireless functions when it's plugged in, why doesn't the DS4?

Cause people dont like that about the PS3 controller?

people can charge the PS4 controller from a USB outlet of any sort.

PS3 thinks the PS4 controller is any generic computer computer. Thats why a computer doesnt need drivers for the PS4 controller.

-It cannot be synced to a PS4 via Bluetooth.-

thats the in guide lines for connecting a PS4 controller to a PS3.

but the controller A was already synched with device X. you would have to turn OFF the ps4 or desynch the DS4 wireless

Caayn

And what do you expect if your mouse is connected to a PlayStation 3 or your WiiMote to a PC?
Work on the device it's directly connected to, as it should.

And here I thought that Gaf was pro-consumer. This thread makes me rethink that.

but the controller A was already synched with device X. you would have to turn OFF the ps4 or desynch the DS4 wireless
No, that's a flaw in Sony's design. My mouse analogy already explained how it should work.

Famassu

We've also had tons of posts about Sony not refunding Fifa hacks and banning accounts where scammed users go for bank chargebacks.
I'm pretty sure those people could've gotten their refunds and not get their accounts banned if they had just had some patience and not went to banks for chargebacks. To Sony, that is basically scamming them/3rd parties out of money. There's usually some steps that you have to go through before online store refunds money and if you forego that with your own shenanigans, I'm not surprised something like that happens.

Connecting to a PS3

It is possible to connect a DualShock 4 controller to a PlayStation®3 using a USB cable. It cannot be synced to a PS4 via Bluetooth. Only basic functionality is supported and not all games are compatible.

We do not have any information on full compatibility with individual games at this time.

It cannot be synced to a PS4 via Bluetooth.

its one or the other.

If you turn the PS4 on, then leave the PS4 on. Then decide to charge the PS4 controller with the PS3 while its still sync'd with the PS4, thats Yo Fault.

You have to turn on the PS4 first for this to work. If you dont turn on the PS4. When the PS4 controller is connected to a PS3 the PS button is deactivated.

Science.

But maybe you can ask for PS Wallet Credit. Battlefield 4 apparently runs like shit.

That reads like a typo to me, which is funny if Sony's own support site mixes up PS3 and PS4 as it happens to me and friends all the time in conversation.

"It is possible to connect a DualShock 4 controller to a PlayStation®3 using a USB cable. It cannot be synced to a PS3 via Bluetooth. Only basic functionality is supported and not all games are compatible." - is what I think it's meant to say.

"It (the DualShock 4 controller) cannot be synced to a PS4 via Bluetooth." - doesn't make sense to me. In the context of the sentence regarding PS3 compatibility, I wouldn't expect them to mention the PS4 at all.

Edit - reading back your explanation again I understand what it means now. It can't sync to a PS4 while connected to a PS3 via USB cable. That doesn't mean it can't already be synced before being connected to the PS3.

So, basically, people are asking a refund for their stupidity?

Cp1ZfD1.gif

Shahed

While it's an unfortunate series of events, I don't really know how it's Sony's fault. The chances of something like this happening is rare. You'd need both the PS4 on as well as the DS4 in an active pairing while powered on I understand leaving the PS4 on to download, But I think turning off the controller before wiring it to the PS3, or putting the PS4 in standby would have prevented the whole thing. Hindsight I know.

Having said that, I think Sony should give a refund. Problem for them is this is a hard thing to verify, and could lead to abuse of people buying games and returning then soon after. Are you allowed to sign into PSN on both PS3 and PS4 at the same time? If they can see you were signed in and playing Dark Souls 2 at the time of purchase it should work. Otherwise what's to stop people from lying and getting refunds that way?

My mouse analogy already explained how it should work.

Not exactly. A mouse is designed for a PC, so when another PC detects it, the mouse switches over. The same would happen for the DS4 if it was paired with one PS4 and you switched it to another via the cable. It would then only work on the second PS4. Since it's not designed for PS3, it remained connected

Yagharek

I'm pretty sure those people could've gotten their refunds and not get their accounts banned if they had just had some patience and not went to banks for chargebacks. To Sony, that is basically scamming them/3rd parties out of money. There's usually some steps that you have to go through before online store refunds money and if you forego that with your own shenanigans, I'm not surprised something like that happens.

Scamming? The people who had their accounts hacked and money stolen were the ones scammed. They were scammed again when Sony refuses to refund for those hacks. That's what bank chargebacks are for - to protect consumers against credit card scams.

Velcro Fly

This sounds really odd. I'm not sure it's exactly Sony's fault since what did people expect to happen but the thread title being Dark Souls II buying stuff from PSN made me chuckle.

level44

PS4 connects DS4 via bluetooth.
PS3 connects DS4 via wire.

Of course they are both still going to be in tack as they are two forms of communication.
We know this, it's in front of our eyes. One is wireless one isn't. Why would one shut down while the other is working? It makes no sense.

Sony can't go giving out refunds rewarding stupidity. It will set a dangerous precedent.

Eg. Hmm those games look good. I'll just buy them all on the store and get refunded later.

BadWolf

Feel bad for the people that this happened to but I can see why Sony would not refund this, it makes sense in that it was in no way their fault.

Work on the device it's directly connected to, as it should.

And here I thought that Gaf was pro-consumer. This thread makes me rethink that.

No, that's a flaw in Sony's design. My mouse analogy already explained how it should work.

No.

The flaw would be to have this happen:

your ds4 is synched with the PS4

you connect the cable to PS3 which is not supported fully

the PS4 and DS4 would have to be resynched after the cable is disconnected.

That would be like saying DS4 is acting with PS3 like a fully supported device which takes credence over PS4 when in fact it does not.

_hekk05

Banned
That reads like a typo to me, which is funny if Sony's own support site mixes up PS3 and PS4 as it happens to me and friends all the time in conversation.

"It is possible to connect a DualShock 4 controller to a PlayStation®3 using a USB cable. It cannot be synced to a PS3 via Bluetooth. Only basic functionality is supported and not all games are compatible." - is what I think it's meant to say.

"It (the DualShock 4 controller) cannot be synced to a PS4 via Bluetooth." - doesn't make sense to me. In the context of the sentence regarding PS3 compatibility, I wouldn't expect them to mention the PS4 at all.

When your DS4 is connected to your PS3, it will not sync to a PS4 that is not turned on. If you press the PS button, it will not turn on the PS4.

If you have already synced your DS4 with your PS4 and your PS4 is on, before you connect your DS4 to your PS3, then that's your own fault lol.

Caayn

So in this case, that would be the PS4 as it is the system it is connected to and that connection has never been broken.
No, it shouldn't even be connected to the PS4 while it's directly connected to the PS3, another supported device. That would be like saying the DS4 is connected to two PS4's at the same time.
No.

The flaw would be to have this happen:

your ds4 is synched with the PS4

you connect the cable to PS3 which is not supported fully

the PS4 and DS4 would have to be resynched after the cable is disconnected.

That would be like saying DS4 is acting with PS3 like a fully supported device which takes credence over PS4 when in fact it does not.
Thanks for pointing how this is a design flaw.

Edit: Anyways I'm out. Seems like most of you in here are dead set in blaming the consumer instead of the corporation that made it possible.

To people who don't see why there's shouldn't be any refund...
What would you think if you bought something without any consent ?

I mean, it's not like they played the game or such.

Sasukekun

Neo Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you'd need to press X several times to purchase anything on the PS4 store right?

Looking at the controls for Dark Souls (and assuming they're the same for Dark Souls 2), the X button is only used to 'activate' things.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/controls

Now, looking at he rest of the controls, specifically the O button, it stands to reason that you'd press O more than once between pressing X.
What I'm getting at here, is that you'd never press X enough times in a row to make a purchase as you'll always be dragged back a step by the O press(es).

And that's the fucking worst thread title I've ever seen in my whole life on this website.

Like what does it mean.. sony refusing refunds to people whose copies of dark souls II bought stuff from PSN ... WAT !?!!?

level44

To people who don't see why there's shouldn't be any refund...
What would you think if you bought something without any consent ?

I mean, it's not like they played the game or such.

1. I'd be pissed off
2. I'd realise that through my own stupidity, it was my fault
3. I wouldn't complain on forums letting people know how dumb I had been
4. I'd make a sandwich

1. I'd be pissed off
2. I'd realise that through my own stupidity, it was my fault
3. I wouldn't complain on forums letting people know how dumb I had been
4. I'd make a sandwich

Well, in some countries, that is just illegal. Also, for the first case, I don't see how "stupid" it is. The guy just left his PS4 downloading update, how could he know that plugging his DS4 on PS3 would still control his PS4 ? Usually, when you plug a controller on another console, it can't control another one.

gngf123

PS4 connects DS4 via bluetooth.
PS3 connects DS4 via wire.

Of course they are both still going to be in tack as they are two forms of communication.
We know this, it's in front of our eyes. One is wireless one isn't. Why would one shut down while the other is working? It makes no sense.

Sony can't go giving out refunds rewarding stupidity. It will set a dangerous precedent.

Eg. Hmm those games look good. I'll just buy them all on the store and get refunded later.

I'm sure there are some controllers out there which turn off wireless communications when physically connected. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Xbox one controller does this for example.

I honestly think that is the more common sense approach.

Amir0x

Banned
They should probably be generous and refund you because lol, but this really is not something they're obligated to do based on the details here.

azhar

Banned
Thread title is somewhat misleading and I don't think Sony is necessarily at fault here, but...

It's amazing how Sony denies the possibility of this happening at the same time as people in this thread are saying it's "common sense" to expect something like this to happen.

Shinta

Banned
Well, in some countries, that is just illegal. Also, for the first case, I don't see how "stupid" it is. The guy just left his PS4 downloading update, how could he know that plugging his DS4 on PS3 would still control his PS4 ? Usually, when you plug a controller on another console, it can't control another one.

Can you even control two PS3s with one controller? I've never controlled two systems with one controller in 25+ years of gaming.

Can you control two PS4s?
It's amazing how Sony denies the possibility of this happening at the same time as people in this thread are saying it's "common sense" to expect something like this to happen.

It really does say a lot about the empathy of the people commenting here.

Chariot

Amazing. Thread running in circles and people keep getting upset about slightly related matters, while missing the points on important ones. People really are too hard on finding anyone at fault here.

First: DS4 is for PS4. It was said bx Sony that it might work with the PS3, but is by no means supported.
The controlling of two consoles at the same time is unexpected, even for Sony, as seen thanks to the support.

Both the customers and Sony are and are not at fault. Sony don't have to support DS4 on PS3 and the customers assumed that it's ok since it worked seemingly fine.

Out of curiosity, how does Sony go about promoting password protection on the PS4 store? Does it prompt you when you first log in/set up an account, do they let you know the feature exists, but say you have to go into settings to activate it, or is it a you have to know it's there thing?

Asking again, because I want to know the answer to this before I purchase a PS4.

It seems like Sony's fault, just barely, mostly because nobody expects a controller to be capable of controlling two devices at once. I mean, seriously, what the hell? Supported or not, that is ARCANE behavior.

Joni

No, it shouldn't even be connected to the PS4 while it's directly connected to the PS3, another supported device.
The "problem" is the wired cable is also the charging cable, and that is the only function in not fully supported devices. It is why plugging a PS3 controller in a PC also won't turn off the connection.

Shahed

Can you even control two PS3s with one controller? I've never controlled two systems with one controller in 25+ years of gaming.

Can you control two PS4s?

It really does say a lot about the empathy of the people commenting here.

Well you can't control two PS3's at a time. Not sure about PS4's, but I assume the same.

Asking again, because I want to know the answer to this before I purchase a PS4.

I think they had something on PS3 when I first bought something on PSN. I had to disable it. Same for Vita. Can't remember anything for PS4 though. Pretty sure it just let me buy what I wanted. It's easy enough to set up though

Salaadin

Amazing. Thread running in circles and people keep getting upset about slightly related matters, while missing the points on important ones. People really are too hard on finding anyone at fault here.

First: DS4 is for PS4. It was said bx Sony that it might work with the PS3, but is by no means supported.
The controlling of two consoles at the same time is unexpected, even for Sony, as seen thanks to the support.

Both the customers and Sony are and are not at fault. Sony don't have to support DS4 on PS3 and the customers assumed that it's ok since it worked seemingly fine.

I agree with this.

It'd be nice of Sony to give refunds but i also don't feel like they're obligated to do so.

Also, horrible thread title.

Top Bottom