• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People accidentally buy stuff on PS4; Sony does not offer refunds

eot

Banned
You're both missing the point. So what if both consoles are on? That means nothing on its own. These users were even aware that both were on. The important point is that the controller's inputs affecting both devices at once is bizarre - and something even Sony's support staff and supervisors doesn't think is true. If Sony themselves didn't anticipate this, and still denies that it's the case, then how can we argue that it's common sense and "user error"? Seems like willful hindsight bias to me.

That's the funny part.
Some people here are saying it's obvious while support staff says it's impossible.

Why shouldn't connecting the controller to a PS3 with a cable stop it from sending a wireless signal? Is it really that insane an assumption, honestly?

I'm pretty sure the DS3 does turn off the wireless signal when plugged into the PS3. Whenever I'm charging it while playing and unplug it, the lights blink for a few seconds to reconnect.

Into

Common sense has nothing to do with it. People probably just weren't aware that the PS4 was on(do you do a checklist of which electronics are on/off whenever you game?) or didn't realize that a controller working for your PS3 would also be controlling your PS4 at the same time. I've never heard of that before so I'd probably be caught out by that as well.

Are you kidding me here, people cannot notice the light on the PS4? You cannot tell which electronics device are turned on? Is it even safe for such a person to even own electronic devices?
The common sense is that the PS button on your PS4 controller turns on the console, that is how you turn the thing on, this is in the manual.

Let me quote what you said, again:
didn't realize that a controller working for your PS3 would also be controlling your PS4 at the same time.

Really!? You didnt realize that the controller specifically designed for the PS4 is now...controlling your PS4?!

Why shouldn't connecting the controller to a PS3 with a cable stop it from sending a wireless signal? Is it really that insane an assumption, honestly?

Because the controller is made for the PS4? Its purpose is to serve that device, and that is precisely what it is doing?

You are expecting a device to circumvent the stupidity of people. What is next, microwave will refuse to function if you put explosives in it?

You made a thread with a very dubious thread title, insisting that Dark Souls 2 was just going amok on PSN, buying every little thing possible. Skynet gone live. Now the PS4 is responsible for having to babysit you?

Look, you put your credit info on that device, what that means, is that you act responsible. You dont put your wallet near your fire place either do you? You put it in a safe spot, because that is common sense.

You're both missing the point. So what if both consoles are on? That means nothing on its own. These users were even aware that both were on. The important point is that the controller's inputs affecting both devices at once is bizarre - and something even Sony's support staff and supervisors doesn't think is true. If Sony themselves didn't anticipate this, and still denies that it's the case, then how can we argue that it's common sense and "user error"? Seems like willful hindsight bias to me.

If you arent aware that your console is on, which you willingly stored credit card information, then i hope you keep your passport, wallet, credit card in a safe place. Because you are being irresponsible

As for bias, read the thread title, and the arguments in here. Its clear as daylight where the bias is.

It isn't officially supported. There are no specific drivers, which is why not everything works. Unless you also think they officially support the PC.

Sony themselves explicitly state that you can use the PS4 pad on a PS3, that's officially supported as far as I'm concerned.

libregkd

Sony themselves advocate it's use. It's officially supported.
I wouldn't say it's officially supported when the controller doesn't work fully with all games but also has limited functions (No PS button, no rumble, no motion detection, etc.) The PS3 just recognizes the DS4 as a generic controller which is more a of a nifty side effect rather than official support.

If I can't even play all my PS3 games with it (Looking at you GTAV) I can't call it being officially supported.

Joni

Sony themselves explicitly state that you can use the PS4 pad on a PS3, that's officially supported as far as I'm concerned.
Their 'advocating' goes as far as recognizing it can connect, and then saying they don't know which games work and basically saying they don't care about it. You're grasping at straws to justify your factually wrong thread title and the stupid error by someone that made the error to buy something on his PS4 with his PS4 controller.

Yeah, I imagine if this was Microsoft the thread would be hilariously different. Oh well.
And that says enough about your basis.

this also reminds me of that GAF member who complained about his nephew buying a game on his account.

that wasn't the last we head of that story either, apparently the DS4 light bar saved the kids life!

Because the controller is made for the PS4? Its purpose is to serve that device, and that is precisely what it is doing?

You are expecting a device to circumvent the stupidity of people. What is next, microwave will refuse to function if you put explosives in it?

If we're going down the route of stupid analogies, what about a microwave where a design flaw means that the outer casing reaches 200 degrees and the maker doesn't bother to tell anyone.

Some people won't touch it because they just won't. Other people will just assume that there's no way the outer casing of a microwave would be 200 degrees because why the hell would it be? Then they get burned. Totally their fault?

Stupid analogies don't help.

Withnail

No I don't think Sony ever did state that. It works in a basic capacity because PS3 accepts USB controllers, but there is no official support.

Seems people defend Sony on anything. ^^ How can it be that you sell a controller which can control 2 devices at once and act as it was the users fault? Come on guys.

jts

...hate me...
Personal accountability?

What personal accountability? Let's blame it on others instead!
He didn't damage anything or committed a crime though. He made an accidental purchase, and Sony shouldn't want to make business with accidental purchases. Even if they charged some kind of "restocking fee".

IRL you can even make purchases on purpose and get refunds.

JP

The thing is with DualShock controllers is that many of the functions are standard interface functions so can work with many different devices that they aren'r specifically designed to work with. There will be specific functions that don't work because they aren't standard so new drivers will need to be supplied.

They're just standard controllers, it's not like on Xbox where they are proprietary so they're far more limited in what you can do with them.

Lesiroth

But even if this isn't the case, then Sony implemented that dual mode for PS3 support only.

No they didn't, it's just generic USB controller support. I do agree that it's odd that the controller does send signals through both USB and Bluetooth simultaneously, but nothing about the DS4 working through USB is PS3 specific. The PS3 supports generic USB controllers, and the DS4 acts like one when connected through USB to devices other than the PS4.

The DS3 turns off wireless functions when it's plugged in, why doesn't the DS4?

Actually that would be incredibly useful, and whoever figures out how to make that work would make a lot of money. No one should be complaining about a microwave that turns off if someone puts a fork in there.

Socreges

Banned
Are you kidding me here, people cannot notice the light on the PS4? You cannot tell which electronics device are turned on? Is it even safe for such a person to even own electronic devices?
The common sense is that the PS button on your PS4 controller turns on the console, that is how you turn the thing on, this is in the manual.

Let me quote what you said, again:

Really!? You didnt realize that the controller specifically designed for the PS4 is now...controlling your PS4?!

You made a thread with a very dubious thread title, insisting that Dark Souls 2 was just going amok on PSN, buying every little thing possible. Skynet gone live. Now the PS4 is responsible for having to babysit you?

Look, you put your credit info on that device, what that means, is that you act responsible. You dont put your wallet near your fire place either do you? You put it in a safe spot, because that is common sense.
I think you're taking this far too personally and distorting things a bit. But at least you're being funny about it. I appreciated the Skynet reference. *thumbs up*

Their 'advocating' goes as far as recognizing it can connect, and then saying they don't know which games work and basically saying they don't care about it. You're grasping at straws to justify your factually wrong thread title and the stupid error by someone that made the error to buy something on his PS4 with his PS4 controller.

Saying "you can use the PS4 pad on PS3," whatever the caveat, is officially supporting it.

And that says enough about your basis.

Just an assumption because I honestly am amazed how anti-consumer everyone on GAF is. The only explanation that I can come up with is that they must just be pro-Sony because the alternative, that their attitude is genuinely "fuck the consumer" is horrifying. Sony can't afford £50 out of their billions of pounds to refund a guy who made a mistaken purchase enabled by Sony's poorly designed system?

Joni

It does, when plugged into the PS4. The PS3 doesn't turn off wireless signals when plugged into a PC.

Just an assumption because I honestly am amazed how anti-consumer everyone on GAF is. The only explanation that I can come up with is that they must just be pro-Sony because the alternative, that their attitude is genuinely "fuck the consumer" is horrifying. Sony can't afford £50 out of their billions of pounds to refund a guy who made a mistaken purchase enabled by Sony's poorly designed system?
I come from a country where the "consumer is always right" doesn't exist. I live in a country where the consumer is right when he is right. That is the difference. He bought a PS4 game on his PS4 with his PS4 controller that was linked to a turned on PS4. That is working as planned.

Persona7

Banned
Saying "you can use the PS4 pad on PS3," whatever the caveat, is officially supporting it.

Does Sony officially support the logitech controller I plug into my PS3 every now and then to play pac man?

Sony themselves advocate it's use. It's officially supported..

Just saw the link, you have a much better case then. In my experience Sony is pretty reasonable in a lot of these cases, so if you stay vocal about it, I don't think it's out of the question that you get your money back. Don't expect it to be the norm though, as it's way to hard to proof, that this is what happened.

Into

If we're going down the route of stupid analogies, what about a microwave where a design flaw means that the outer casing reaches 200 degrees and the maker doesn't bother to tell anyone.

Some people won't touch it because they just won't. Other people will just assume that there's no way the outer casing of a microwave would be 200 degrees because why the hell would it be? Then they get burned. Totally their fault?

Stupid analogies don't help.

Your analogy is certainly stupid, my analogy was apt. Stop trying to derail the thread now, a thread you made with a disingenuous thread title, in which you are trying to justify now.

Anyone who is old enough to own a credit card, is old enough to be responsible for, i dont know, noticing their consoles are turned on. Noticing that the PS4 controller indeed...shockingly enough... controls the PS4?

Responsible enough to ask themselves, especially in the case of their credit card: "Is my PS4 controller maybe, controlling my PS4?" and then checking that out for themselves?

Being responsible?

its more about common sense than being pro or anti anything.

poorly designed system?

what do you expect the ps4 to do while its turned on and ds4 is being used. play a fiddle?

I come from a country where the "consumer is always right" doesn't exist. I live in a country where the consumer is right when he is right. That is the difference.

I guess I come from a country where if someone designs a system with a flaw in it and someone accidentally discovers and is harmed by that flaw, then they are not punished for it.

However "stupid" his behaviour or the chain of events was, Sony are responsible for designing a system which allowed this to happen and a £50 refund is completely warranted.

Shinta

Banned
I honestly am amazed how anti-consumer everyone on GAF is.
All you're seeing is people who want to point, laugh and say, "haha I told you so."

I'm totally on your side, and honestly I think any sane person would be if they sit and think about it actually happening to them. What if I used the wiimote on Wii U and accidentally purchased games I already owned on Wii? The only thing that matters is that people are spending money without their consent or knowledge, and that's a huge problem.

No idea why you wouldn't get a refund on this, and Sony should find a way to prevent this from happening in a firmware update.

Socreges

Banned
If you arent aware that your console is on, which you willingly stored credit card information, then i hope you keep your passport, wallet, credit card in a safe place. Because you are being irresponsible.
*furrows brow* This is such a strange thing to say. The point is that these users didn't care that their PS4 was on at the same time because they never imagined the DS4 that was controlling their Dark Souls 2 character was, meanwhile, also active on their other console.

And yeah, I do keep my passport and wallet in a safe place.

You should probably quit analogies.

I guess I come from a country where if someone designs a system with a flaw in it and someone accidentally discovers and is harmed by that flaw, then they are not punished for it.

However "stupid" his behaviour or the chain of events was, Sony are responsible for designing a system which allowed this to happen and a £50 refund is completely warranted.

Ok lets do this...

You have a PS3 on and playing with a PS4 controller

You also have a PS4 on

What do you expect the ON ps4 to do while you press buttons on the DS4, not do anything?

That is what you call a poorly designed system?

I would call it lack of common sense and bad luck on the part of consumer

Teletraan1

Banned
Are people that lazy that they don't password protect purchases? If I go to buy something on PSN it prompts me for a password. No amount of pressing things on the controller would ever purchase anything accidentally.

LuchaShaq

Banned
While I can understand how annoying this must be for people, I don't really see why Sony have to sort out their fuck-ups for them.

This.

They have no way to know how you bought shit, and it's totally your own fault.

Same as if you let your kid or little brother or nephew fuck around in the store.

If you don't want to password protect your purchases live with the consequences.

Qvoth

i thought people were getting refunded from PSN for all sorts of stupid reason? why would this case by different?

Into

I think you're taking this far too personally and distorting things a bit. But at least you're being funny about it. I appreciated the Skynet reference. *thumbs up*

You know, you are right. I am taking this personally, ive been raised to believe that you are responsible in regards to your credit card(s) and passport. As in you take care of these things with outmost care, so it bothers me when others dont want their ass to be covered anyway =P

Actually that would be incredibly useful, and whoever figures out how to make that work would make a lot of money. No one should be complaining about a microwave that turns off if someone puts a fork in there.

Yeah it would be great, if electrical outlets noticed human skin and automatically turned off, fireplaces turning themselves off if a child got near them etc. But we arent quite there.

Seems people defend Sony on anything. ^^ How can it be that you sell a controller which can control 2 devices at once and act as it was the users fault? Come on guys.

A controller that controls two devices = too complex for people to comprehend.

miserable

what i don't understand is why would people store credit card information on a console, after all the debacles over the years on PSN and XBL, with security hacks and auto-renewals and such

level44

So every time a new game comes out I can just purchase another full priced game from the store, play it for about a day and then complain to Sony that I accidentally bought it.

C'mon guys. Even if it was accidental you shouldn't get a refund for your stupidity. I've used my DS4 countless times on my PS3 and have always made sure my PS4 was not on. It's common sense.

Caayn

How are people okay with this?

When I'm using controller A, that's meant for device Z, on device X it shouldn't also control device Z. Especially when the maker officially stated that it also supports, albeit limited, device X.

Are people that lazy that they don't password protect purchases? If I go to buy something on PSN it prompts me for a password. No amount of pressing things on the controller would ever purchase anything accidentally.

This.

They have no way to know how you bought shit, and it's totally your own fault.

Same as if you let your kid or little brother or nephew fuck around in the store.

If you don't want to password protect your purchases live with the consequences.

Out of curiosity, how does Sony go about promoting password protection on the PS4 store? Does it prompt you when you first log in/set up an account, do they let you know the feature exists, but say you have to go into settings to activate it, or is it a you have to know it's there thing?

Into

*furrows brow* This is such a strange thing to say. The point is that these users didn't care that their PS4 was on at the same time because they never imagined the DS4 that was controlling their Dark Souls 2 character was, meanwhile, also active on their other console.

And yeah, I do keep my passport and wallet in a safe place.

You should probably quit analogies.

It strange...to be responsible and careful?

Guess what, if you are careless:

The point is that these users didn't care that their PS4 was on at the same time

Then reckless shit will happen, that is life

And no i wont stop the analogies, ill do as i please.

Connecting to a PS3

It is possible to connect a DualShock 4 controller to a PlayStation®3 using a USB cable. It cannot be synced to a PS4 via Bluetooth. Only basic functionality is supported and not all games are compatible.

We do not have any information on full compatibility with individual games at this time.

It cannot be synced to a PS4 via Bluetooth.

its one or the other.

If you turn the PS4 on, then leave the PS4 on. Then decide to charge the PS4 controller with the PS3 while its still sync'd with the PS4, thats Yo Fault.

You have to turn on the PS4 first for this to work. If you dont turn on the PS4. When the PS4 controller is connected to a PS3 the PS button is deactivated.

Science.

But maybe you can ask for PS Wallet Credit. Battlefield 4 apparently runs like shit.

Damn I almost think the DS4 is even more powerful than the PS4 itself! Let's see...

It mind controls children and forces them to buy games.

It is a beacon of hope for all lost children in the world.

It can control a PS3&PS4 at the same time, then troll a grown man/women into buying games and worthless DLC, then direct them to Gaf to create a very misleading Thread title about its greatness of power.

I cannot wait for the next epic DS4 story. Somebody please freeze me :)

karobit

Obviously the correct response in this situation is for Sony to allow refunds on a case-by-case basis for this because we're probably not talking about large amounts even in the shoppingest of Dark Souls-induced sprees. But I wouldn't blame them for feeling like a parent that just walked in on their toddler shoving honey into a VCR trying to make the Berenstein Bears tape play again. Show a little humility when asking someone to forgive your foul-up. If you puff up your chest and make demands, it just reinforces the perception that you need an adult to plug up the outlets and chew your food for you.

How are people okay with this?

When I'm using controller A, that's meant for device Z, on device X it shouldn't also control device Z. Especially when the maker officially stated that it also supports, albeit limited, device X.

What do you expect device Z to do when its turned on and controller A is turned on too.... go ahead..

Top Bottom