• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People believe the earth is flat

Status
Not open for further replies.
7kXqp9t.gif

https://wiki.tfes.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Is_this_site_a_joke.3F
I can't explain why, but as soon as I saw this gif I laughed so hard.
Man, hahaha.

Biske

These people include nutjobs like Tila Tequila who is apparently doing nothing but going on super offensive racist rants on twitter now so...

They just aren't playing with a full deck.

I don't know if its quite fair to call them nutjobs. Well at least not all of them. Obviously science and learning and all that we know, but there are plenty of pretty reasonable and sane and smart people who believe all kinds of such things. They just compartmentalize things as we all do, but take it a few steps further and write off a lot of basic facts. Such people have an intense and healthy doubt, just have it pointed in the wrong directions.

man I really liked some B.o.B tracks and im baffled how many think alike after googling.
don't these people understand how the Pythagoras theorem works?

The Pope

My grandpa was a member of a local flat earth society back in the 60's. No one actually beleived the Earth was flat, they just pretended too for fun. It was a running joke. They would all go out once a month for the flat earther's lunchin.

This is no more amazing than people who believe the crap in the Bible or Qu'ran. It really isn't that suprising.

It is probably possible to create a logically sound system where a flat earth is not inherently contradictiory. The problem is that evidence is needed not just that it is possible but also that it is true.

What? You dont believe some dude parted the ocean or a dude flew on a unicorn to the moon to split it?!

Dingens

come to think of it, a flat earth and this whole ice wall stuff would be an awesome setting for a jrpg... or an anime maybe...

smudge

I've actually watched more youtube on this subject than I should admit to. I have an unhealthy obsession with conspiracy theories.

Most people who believe in this also seem to be creationists. Which says a lot. Creationism aside. Occam's razor should be enough to close the lid on this wacky conspiracy, that all people who work in aviation or global communications are in on the whole Nasa being evil thing.

I think that people who buy into these things need to believe in something because it gives their lives meaning. Which pretty much sums up most conspiracy theorists.

But me? I may believe in some, but mostly I just like to point and laugh.

smudge

What do flat-earthers generally think about other planets like Saturn and Jupiter? Also flat? Made up altogether?

From what I've seen they generally believe that other planets/stars revolve around the earth and the earth (north pole) is the center of the universe. Usually they are creationists too, I have seen statements from flat earthers who have become creationists after discovering the earth is flat, yet before they were atheists.

The Mule

What are the motivations the flat earthers put forward for why there's this grand conspiracy? Why would scientists and the government want to cover it up?

I'm pretty sure they don't actually believe the earth is flat, they're just having a bit of fun pretending they believe it.

it's nice to think so.

Veedot

A friend of mine I work with believes this and a whole lot of other conspiracy theories. My other co workers can't stand him and I just refuse to talk to him about religion or theories. He's a good dude, He just believes any theory the internet throws at him.

jay

Why doesn't gravity pull the earth into a spherical shape?

The earth isn't pulled into a sphere because the force known as gravity doesn't exist

Well, that clears up any lingering questions I had.

Measley

Wow, I thought all of this was settled in the middle ages. I mean, we had people sailing in one direction and ending up back where they started. Hasn't someone like BoB taken airplanes around the world?

Also the sun, moon, and other planets are round. Why the fuck would the Earth be flat?

BibiMaghoo

Honestly the average person doesn't really understand/comprehend a lot of facts about the Earth and space. Plenty of people cant answer what star is closest to the Earth!

This is a little unfair though, as most people wouldn't count the sun if you asked for a star, and the actual nearest star not the sun is not exactly well know outside of people that follow such things or happen to play video games of the same name. I certainly wouldn't call it common knowledge.

... What the fuck

Don't be shocked or offended at that 100% factually correct statement.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Partly made up of people dumber than a sack of dried shit. Partly made up of people just getting a kick out of following such a blatantly silly conspiracy.

First group is scary and sad, second group is annoying and obnoxious.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
... What the fuck

I honestly don't see a huge leap in ridiculousness from believing in a world where our magical spirit goes to live in utopia for all eternity and thinking the earth is flat. It's just a matter of perspective.

Arkeband

Banned
We should be more concerned about the much larger groups of people who also completely ignore science like anti-vaxxers and anti-GMO groups.

jay

I honestly don't see a huge leap in ridiculousness from believing in a world where our magical spirit goes to live in utopia for all eternity and thinking the earth is flat. It's just a matter of perspective.

When a majority believes a fantasy it becomes true. Don't you know anything about democracy?

LakeEarth

This is the world map according to flat earthers. What logic and bullshit reason do they use to excuse why airplanes that fly from South America to Australia chose to fly directly to the west instead of through the North Pole? In a globe the shortest path is west but if the earth was flat the shortest would be north. How do they explain this?
Because airline pilots are in on it! And cruise and cargo ship captains too! And satellite and GPS companies, they're in on it too! And of course NASA! They're totally in on it. And that dude who skydived from space. RED BULL IS IN ON IT TOO!

They're all in on it, they want the world to believe it is round instead of flat because it is all part of their diabolical plan to ... to ...... diabolical plan to ....

!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom