• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pepe the Frog’s Creator Goes Legally Nuclear Against the Alt-Right

ApharmdX

Banned
I have no idea about various lawyerings, but would this work? Can't trademarks lose their power or whatever if they become common usage? Like, oh sure, you did create this thing, but people have been using it all this time and you never tried to stop them until now, so you don't own it anymore.

Some of these uses of Pepe the Frog are likely to fall under fair use. Most memes used privately would be protected as non-commercial parody. Others, though, that are being used commercially as part of say an alt-right site's marketing campaign, are vulnerable.

I hope Furie gets them all but that's not likely to happen. Even getting some of them taking down is a win. Symbolism is important, and Pepe is one of the alt-right's chief symbols of hatred and intolerance.

Takuan

pepegifxlsiy.gif

thebeeks

Banned
Good stuff. I hope all the Boys Club characters are being protected, because I'd really hate for the nazis to go after Andy or Landwolf in some sort of asinine retaliation.

Top Bottom