• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pepe the Frog cartoonist forces withdrawal of 'alt-right' children's book

466px-Feels_good_man_full_comic.jpg

Yeah these alt right guys definitely were the kids in school that pulled their pants all the way down to pee. It makes so much sense now!

"Furie wants one thing to be clear: Pepe the Frog does not belong to the alt-right. As this action shows, Furie will aggressively enforce his intellectual property, using legal action if necessary, to end the misappropriation of Pepe the Frog in any way that espouses racism, white supremacy, Islamophobia, anti-Semitism, Nazism, or any other form of hate. He will make sure that no one profits by using Pepe in alt-right propaganda—and particularly not by targeting children."

The statement from his attorneys owns.

Haha, giving all the money to a Muslim foundation must infuriate the guy

Cant believe he was assistant principal at a school, wow

ExVicis

I always feel real bad for the creator of Pepe. I mean he was just creating an innocent stoner comic and it ended up being hijacked by literally the very worst scum of humankind for their own purposes.

I remember seeing a listing for this book on Amazon and wondering when Furie would sue.

Hauser was an assistant principal at a Texas middle school until details of the book became public.

I'd hate to think about how many minds he could've influenced. 😬

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I've heard so much that it got co-opted this way but I've literally never once actually seen pepe used in the racist way.

Then again it wouldn't really be getting posted in places I visit online, unless to show us what they're up to on the right.

Dude Abides

Banned
Remember when Hillary and the SPLC said that Pepe had become a symbol for racists and an army of GAF's dimmer bulbs twisted themselves into knots denying it?

Centipede? What is it with white supremacy and goofy nicknames, secret codes, and ugly costumes and uniforms?

This latest variant of white supremacy grew out of the 4chan culture of socially stunted losers making in-jokes and running memes into the ground.

Does anyone have the story as to why Pepe became a symbol? I’ve never been able to make the connection. I’d get it if the creator came out in support of their movement, but it clearly seems the opposite here.

i dunno, maybe relation to politicians? didn't Hillary try to cash on "Yas queen!" and was called out by LGBT communities?

Not really. It was members of the community that bestowed it on her.

And she used Yaaas Hillary.

I mean I'm sure some didn't like it but that's bound to happen but it was a clear term of endearment from members of the community to her and her t-shirt absolutely acknowledged it. The shirt name was Loud and Proud

Speaking of goofy 'memes', what do you find cringier: centipede or 'YAS QUEEN'?
One is an overused saying that's just eye rolling and is used half the time to mock the morons using it. Does anyone even use 'Yas Queen' unironically now?

The other is a term used by scumbag alt-righters and neo-nazis to describe themselves. And they are most likely actual pedofiles.

Oh gee, I don't know, which one is more 'cringey'...

Acyl

Sucks for the original author. Glad he's fighting back. This must be how Nietzsche would have felt about the Nazis hijacking his work too lol

Caelus

At least the original Nazis had some pretty damn sharp uniforms.

Always found this sort of comment gross, sorry.

I'd love to take Pepe back from the alt-right, I'm glad his creator is so fervently the opposite of what the alt-right stands for.

MCN

Banned
Always found this sort of comment gross, sorry.

I'd love to take Pepe back from the alt-right, I'm glad his creator is so fervently the opposite of what the alt-right stands for.

Please note a comment on the sharpness of their uniforms in no way amounts to an endorsement of their policies and actions.

I can't believe I even have to say that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
first one is a transphobic fascist rapist enabler, the other is a harmless pro-LGBT positive affirmation

this is so hard
While the first is far worse,

Cultural appropriation of black womens culture as gay white mens/white women culture isn't really harmless

sphagnum

Banned
Does anyone have the story as to why Pepe became a symbol? I’ve never been able to make the connection. I’d get it if the creator came out in support of their movement, but it clearly seems the opposite here.

4chan loves memes and Pepe is a big meme. /pol/ just started giving him SS uniforms or making him put Jews in ovens because they thought it was funny.

It also ties in with their cult of esoteric kekism, which is a fake religion based on meme magic that worships the frog god Kek/Kuk from ancient Egypt, who grants wishes by getting dubs. Once they found the song Shadilay by P.E.P.E. which had a frog with a wand on the cover art it cemented it.

4chan loves memes and Pepe is a big meme. /pol/ just started giving him SS uniforms or making him put Jews in ovens because they thought it was funny.

It also ties in with their cult of esoteric kekism, which is a fake religion based on meme magic that worships the frog god Kek/Kuk from ancient Egypt, who grants wishes by getting dubs. Once they found the song Shadilay by P.E.P.E. which had a frog with a wand on the cover art it cemented it.

Guess we know the plot for Indiana Jones 5

brinstar

Originally the meme was harmless, it was just posting the "feels good man" panel when something felt good. This was a long time ago too. Then the inevitable edits came like making Pepe sad or angry. Smug edits of him started becoming the new trollfaces and adopted by that crowd and things just kind of snowballed from there.

Sunster

still wild to me that racists use pepe. I've only known pepe through tumblr where he is strictly used as lol meme frog. never once seen him used in a racist way there.

wait YAS QUEEN isn't just some pop-GAF shit

Does anyone have the story as to why Pepe became a symbol? I've never been able to make the connection. I'd get it if the creator came out in support of their movement, but it clearly seems the opposite here.

nazis just keep taking everyone's shit and making it their own somehow just by using it

Top Bottom