• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Albums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wimps

Kentpaul said:
Wu-Tang+Clan+-+36+Chambers.jpg
Hell yeah.

You should listen to Wugazi. Basicly what he has done is mashup a hardcore/punk band(Fugazi) with Wu Tang, the result is amazing.

Wugazi

The album is close to perfect imo.

SolKane said:
You could cut at most 1 song from Lonesome Crowded West without affect the record fundamentally. However Moon and Antarctica approaches levels of perfection that haven't been attained in modern music since Unknown Pleasures. Your criticism is completely toothless, since not only are both albums very tightly choreographed (M&A makes Dark Side of the Moon look like a Kids Bop album), but "indulgent" is about the most insipid criticism you can make of anything. Got anything substantive?

Goodness! I didn't intend for you to catch feelings so heavy. Different strokes. Our key differerence may just be that I tend to generally avoid the kind of comically over-bearing hyperbole you seem to enjoy describing music with. Again, I like both those albums quite a bit(although I prefer Lonesome Crowded West, it's the most indulgent but also the most kinetic and emotive). You'll probably be chagrined to know I like their following album just as much. And, really, you've never heard an album you thought was indulgent?

Unknown Pleasures is a good bit tighter, though it's not perfect either(you really think that goofy synth stuff at the end of 'Insight' holds up well?). Not sure why you bring Dark Side of the Moon up, I don't like it a bit. Well, happy listening.

Dreaver

In the electronic department:
justice_cross_cover.jpg

Awesome album. Love the sound, pretty unique as well imo.

daft_punk_disovery.jpg

Most likely my favorite electronic album. It's soooogoooddd.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Miles Davis' Sketches in Spain, both of Emancipator's records and Hildur Gudnadottir's Without Sinking are some I haven't seen mentioned I think are flawless

Complex Shadow said:
He seriously reminds me of Bubbles from The Wire.

For me it's:
Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
Daft Punk - Discovery
Curren$y - Pilot Talk II
James Blake - James Blake
Girl Talk - All Day
Kanye West - The College Dopout
Christian Scott - Rewind That
Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing

and I'm going to have to say the Turquoise Jeep Records: Keep The Jeep Ridin' album. I can just listen to it all the way through and love it. KTJR.

A perfect albums thread is a nice little change from the favorite albums threads because it has me omit a lot of my absolute favorite stuff because there may be one or two weaker tracks from the rest. Might as welll exclude albums with billions of intros and interlude tracks as well, just for the hell of it.

IFtOS.jpg

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side

LH_WTW.jpg

Lost Horizon - Awakening the World

SonataArctica_Ecliptica.jpg

Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica

Dog200.jpg

Running Wild - Death or Glory

Kivenkantaja.jpg

Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja

ManowarIntogloryride.jpg

Manowar - Into Glory Ride

RainbowRainbowRising.jpg

Rainbow - Rising

Not a bad track on any of these tasty slabs of steel.

SA6g7.jpg

YHmKf.jpg

DZQM9.jpg

sQlwf.jpg

ytwY7.jpg

There are a few more (Revolver almost gets there but Eleanor Rigby and Here, There and everywhere drop the ball, Rubber Soul is also close) but I can't think of them right this second.

J Tourettes said:
There are a few more (Revolver almost gets there but Eleanor Rigby and Here, There and everywhere drop the ball, Rubber Soul is also close) but I can't think of them right this second.

Huh? Those two songs are stone cold classics. I think I've heard Art Garfunkel or someone even refer to the latter as the best song ever written. Love You To and Doctor Robert are much more insignificant songs.

acheron_xl said:
Huh? Those two songs are stone cold classics. I think I've heard Art Garfunkel or someone even refer to the latter as the best song ever written. Love You To and Doctor Robert are much more insignificant songs.

They stone cold suck. Doctor Robert kicks both of their arses.

see5harp

Souljiro said:
Building steam with a grain of salt...best album hes done need to listen to the new that came out last month hope it's good.

No it's terrible once again. For those who know the cover RIP K St. Records.

RJT

I'm disappointed GAF. I can't believe no one mentioned Illmatic
on this page

"I drink Moet with Medusa, give her shotguns in hell
From the spliff that I lift and inhale, it ain't hard to tell"

RJT said:
I'm disappointed GAF. I can't believe no one mentioned Illmatic
on this page

"I drink Moet with Medusa, give her shotguns in hell
From the spliff that I lift and inhale, it ain't hard to tell"

It Ain't Hard to Tell is my favorite Nas track. Great taste my friend.

Aguirre

krypt0nian said:
A new album but perfect to me. Not one filler song on it.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

nghfb600.jpg
hahaha good one. i enjoyed that.

when i get back home later, i'll look at this post again and enjoy it some more

H3xum

Ducky_McGee said:
220px-NickDrakePinkMoon.jpg

Pink Moon - Nick Drake

Talk+Talk.jpg

Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

51YOt%2BwCOQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Heroes - David Bowie

Wow, you sir have great taste in music.

Came to post these exact 3 albums (was going to post the entire Introduction album for Drake though)

31354.jpg

Absolutely perfect from top to bottom. Till this day I can listen to it without having to skip any tracks. So f'n good.

Also helps that there weren't sampling laws back then like they do now.

IndieJones said:
Shhh, no one does.

I prefer their first album. Nothing Mike Patton does is bad, though. I'm especially fond of the EP he did with the Dillinger Escape Plan.

tycoonheart said:
Also helps that there weren't sampling laws back then like they do now.

Girl Talk gets around this by not actually selling the album. Fair use rules.

jtb

Banned
I think nearly every Beatles album Rubber Soul and later is perfect or near perfect. Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper are all amazing. Then White Album, which is a fantastic project in its own right, though too sprawling and ambitious and ultimately fragmented (and inconsistent as hell) to be a "perfect album."

Then, fucking Abbey Road. That shit is the very definition of the perfect album in my book.

Another one of my favorites is, well, basically any Kanye album. But in particular, College Dropout. Very White Album-eque - so much variety, the highs are unbelievable but there are just too many lows to be considered "perfect". Though, that's the great thing about albums, they're more than the sum of their parts, and albums like The White Album and the College Dropout are perfect examples of this.

Props to Kid A for being the only Radiohead album I like (and I love it a lot.) Another perfect album in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom