• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Perfect Albums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mission

HiResDes said:

I was going post this... so instead I will only add the only album since then that qualifies. I thought of this thread the last time I listened to it.

So ... somebody posted The Color and the Shape but not:

Foo_Fighters_Wasting_Light_Album_Cover.jpg

Very.jpg

I listen to many genres and many artists from just about all corners of the world and very, very rarely do I come across an album where every single track is enjoyable.

This album is one of those albums. The only one that comes to mind actually.

J Tourettes said:
Will have to respectfully disagree. Holy Bible blows it out of the water and would be the closest Manics ever got to perfection (probably should have added it to my perfect albums list now that I think about it). Everything Must Go has some good singles but is the starting point of their dad rock years and slow slide into irrelevance. Australia being the main offender.

I probably should have said Holy Bible & Journal as well, but hey, I've been on a EMG kick lately so whatever. I love that style of the band anyway, I think it gets nowhere enough love. (Also how are they irrelevant, they released easily one of the best albums of 09. Postcards, OK, not so good.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, The Holy Bible has fucking "Revol" on it, which is a total lame duck of a song, so, er, yeah. Not perfect.

Green Scar said:
I probably should have said Holy Bible & Journal as well, but hey, I've been on a EMG kick lately so whatever. I love that style of the band anyway, I think it gets nowhere enough love. (Also how are they irrelevant, they released easily one of the best albums of 09. Postcards, OK, not so good.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, The Holy Bible has fucking "Revol" on it, which is a total lame duck of a song, so, er, yeah. Not perfect.

Raus! Raus! Fila! Fila! I don't mind it, it's not shit enough for me to skip but is probably the weakest on there.

RC

Banned
I'm really scratching my head at some of the choices in this thread.

There's only one album I would consider perfect:
Wu-Tang+Clan+-+36+Chambers.jpg

It begins and ends at the 36 Chambers.

careful

Yaboosh said:
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
I agree with everyone else, this is the definition of a perfect album. It still comes back in my regular rotation every so often and this was released in 96... I've been looking for an album like this for the past I don't know how many years and I'm still searching..

Hakkuei said:
Radiohead - Kid A
Hypnotizing from beginning to end. I just zone out when listening to this.

Typographenia said:
Led Zeppelin - IV
Very epic feeling listening to this. Classics after classics on there.

31ESVCFE0SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
As amazing as this is, Wizard of Oz sync takes this to another level.

sonicfan said:
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Not a filler on there.

51UVX5HKIiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
They say this is the best intro jazz album for newbies, but I disagree because after listening to this, no other jazz album can reach the same heights.

Puddles said:
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
..except maybe for this one. Not as noob-friendly, but perfect from beginning to end nonetheless.

317JGK5KKXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman
What can I say, I'm a loverboy. And this is the best ballad album I've ever heard.

JackEtc said:
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers
This is my favourite album of all time. Listened to this so much, I broke the cassette and bought another one. This is what made me fall in love with hip-hop. First time listening to this, my jaw was on the floor after each song. It was filled with so much creativity and energy. It was unbelievable.

Tom Penny said:
Doesn't hit you with all the different vibes like 36 chambers, but this is as good as 90's hip-hop gets. This is what a classic album should be like. Short and every track a classic.

417CCWV47VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sam Cooke - Live at the Harlem Square Club 1963
This is not the neutered-for-white-people radio friendly Sam Cooke. This is Sam Cooke doing a few of his best songs with a love and energy I haven't heard on his 'radio' recordings. Amazing.

Pizza Luigi said:
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
I wanna cry listening to the first track. lol
I can listen to the whole thing easily without skipping anything.

close to the edge said:
It's hard to do something like this with classical music albums, because how do you judge perfection? The compositions themselves are usually great (unless you get some weird lesser-known stuff, then it can be a little more hit-or-miss), but judging the interpretations alone doesn't really feel right either. But if I had to choose one, it would be this:

Kleiber_Beethoven_Symphony_7.jpg

Disregarding the music completely, this in my opinion is exactly what an orchestra should sound like. It's hard to describe, but at some point when listening to this, you don't hear the orchestra anymore, you just hear the music, which is what it should be like. Music-wise, those are two of the greatest symphonies ever written, so in that sense it's pretty much ideal.
Kleiber - Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 7
Fuck yes. I'm not a huge classical music listener. But I know every single nook and cranny of this interpretation by heart. The music makes me fly. 7th part 4 is my shit. Flawless. If someone was to ask me what's the best music I've ever listened to, I would probably say this.

EliCash

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue was the first jazz album I heard, it still remains the best. Anyway, my contributions:

220px-Nighthawks_At_The_Diner.jpg

220px-Tom_Waits_-_Small_change_(1976).jpg

(and the rest of his career, namely Blue Valentine, Heartattack and Vine, The Heart of Saturday Night, Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones and Frank's Wild Years - I could post all of those)

220px-BruceSpringsteenDarknessontheEdgeofTown.jpg

Born to Run too.

220px-NeilYoungHarvestalbumcover.jpg

220px-Nirvana_mtv_unplugged_in_new_york.png

51VxQb5YsML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

omgkitty

EliCash said:
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue was the first jazz album I heard, it still remains the best.

The same for me. I think it's an album that's held in such high regard, it's easy to start here.

This thread includes an incredibly wide variety of genres and eras; not sure what you whiners are complaining about. Just post the albums that you think are perfect. It's OK if you just post Metallica's entire pre-Reload catalog in chronological order, we won't make fun of you.

Puddles

Banned
Conciliator said:
This thread includes an incredibly wide variety of genres and eras; not sure what you whiners are complaining about. Just post the albums that you think are perfect. It's OK if you just post Metallica's entire pre-Reload catalog in chronological order, we won't make fun of you.

To be fair, the OP includes Bruno fucking Mars. Kind of invites trolling from the outset.

This:

Rise_Against_-_Revolutions_Per_Minute.jpg

The cover art couldn't possibly be a more accurate representation of this album. It's a grenade blast of pure, fast, fiery, and passionated punk rock right in your ears from start to finish. It's absolutely relentless and not a single song feels like filler or is even remotely boring. It's the best work they've ever done and has absolutely none of the slow generic or acoustic crap they're known for nowadays.

If you've been intrigued yet turned off by their recent material, and I don't blame you, give this one a listen. You'll understand what propelled them to where they are now.

onken

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Beatles - White Album/Revolver/Sgt. Peppers/Abbey Road
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Puddles

Banned
CHEEZMO™ said:
Maybe the OP likes Bruno Mars.

Just a thought.

There's a big difference between liking Bruno Mars and putting him in your OP about perfect albums.

Fuck it, I like Blink 182. You don't see me listing Dude Ranch alongside Abbey Road and Dark Side of the Moon.

Tremas

In addition to The Queen is Dead

smiths-meat-is-murder.jpg

An album so textured and rich. every track has something new and different to offer. Everything is so purposeful and rewarding to the listener, one of precious few albums I can sit through in its entirety with no skipping.

RDreamer

Bloodbeard said:
King_Crimson_-_Starless_And_Bible_Black.jpg

King Crimson, circa '72-74

Totally imperfect, since The Mincer is cut off!

Good album though. I tend to prefer KC circa '69-71' by a small margin, though Red is pretty amazing and pretty much perfect.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Puddles said:
There's a big difference between liking Bruno Mars and putting him in your OP about perfect albums.

Fuck it, I like Blink 182. You don't see me listing Dude Ranch alongside Abbey Road and Dark Side of the Moon.
If he really likes every song on the album then he considers it perfect.

Thread title isn't "What is the best album ever produced?"

I think the HAARP Live album is perfect, because i think every song on it is brilliant. Doesn't mean I think Muse are better than The Beatles because I dont like 2 songs on Sgt. Pepper.

Tetraeon

Wimps said:
Hell yeah.

You should listen to Wugazi. Basicly what he has done is mashup a hardcore/punk band(Fugazi) with Wu Tang, the result is amazing.

Wugazi

The album is close to perfect imo.

fuck yeah! another wugazi fan! I tip my hat to you sir.

Here are some of my personal "perfect" albums. Well, as close to perfect as they can be.

XTC - "Skylarking" (1986)
ktzcg.jpg

Scritti Politti - "Cupid & Psyche 85" (1985)
Ohcjg.jpg

Prefab Sprout - "Steve McQueen" (1985)
6iYpn.jpg

Depeche Mode - "Violater" (1990)
67BrT.jpg

Alice in Chains - "Jar of Flies" (1994) Not a full length, but still a perfect release of songs.
TDw4E.jpg

Strapping Young Lad - "City" (1997)
goXFa.jpg

Devin Townsend - "Ocean Machine: Biomech" (1997)
yP8kG.jpg

Com Truise - "Galactic Melt" (2011)
6Og78.jpg

I can listen to all of these albums completely without skipping a single track. I don't know if I'd say they are completely perfect, but they are definitely some of my favorites. Galactic Melt just came out this year and is already one of my favorite albums.

careful said:
Led Zeppelin - IV
Very epic feeling listening to this. Classics after classics on there.

Kleiber - Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 7
Fuck yes. I'm not a huge classical music listener. But I know every single nook and cranny of this interpretation by heart. The music makes me fly. 7th part 4 is my shit. Flawless. If someone was to ask me what's the best music I've ever listened to, I would probably say this.
Led Zeppelin IV is one of my favorite rock albums as well.

Man, I wish Kleiber recorded more Beethoven. There are recordings with Beethoven's 6th and 4th, as far as I know, but I don't think he ever recorded any other of his symphonies.

I agree with a lot of what I've seen here so I won't duplicate those, but I didn't see a few. I'm hoping I just missed them, as I'd be very disappointed in musicGAF if 300+ posts actually managed to miss:

2ii99jl2.jpg

michaeljacksonthrillerc.jpg

5131586.jpg

seriously.

also, more obscure but generally flawless IMO:

61yoroyvbclss500.jpg

Perhaps Luther's best album. Amazing, amazing, amazing.

51pya0enj2l.jpg

Every song was a hit.

futurelovesounds.jpg

Honestly, it just never gets old to me. Damn near every song was a #1 hit. As far as Pop goes, there are few albums better.
fuck you, Three Six Mafia

Conciliator said:
^Awesome variety.

Thank you sir! Haha.

NullPointer said:

Purple Rain is an excellent album. Great choice. I was actually going to list Pretty Hate Machine in my initial post, but I actually forgot! It's definitely another album I'd consider perfect. I just really started listening to Pink Floyd (I know) and decided to make "Wish You Were Here" the first album to listen to. It's seriously amazing, and I don't know why I've waited so long to get into them. It too might be a 'perfect' album. Short and sweet.

Throavium said:
Wow, good shit.

Glad I could help! This album has been on repeat over the past few months. I actually saw Com Truise with Neon Indian and Purity Ring just two weeks ago. It was a great show, but I don't think this style of music translates that well towards a live act. It was a very energized show, which took me by surprise somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom