• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin |OT| "As if your dreams would ever be fulfilled...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
KibblesBits said:
Clearing Persona can lead to more cards, rarer cards, accessories and gear and the occasional magic item. Do it. The only persona I ever held onto were the starters and ultimate.

You're not going to have to worry about cards very soon as demons will soon start to give out 20+ cards when asked not including Free Tarot.

I've been busy in the factory myself which has kept me from posting.

I've gotten 20 cards from the start. I dunno what makes the counter give that many out, as it's random for me between 8-20 cards for the type.

The starters/custom/ultimates don't really give too much if you return them? I just had Maya's starter finally hit the max rank and once I finish this part of
Mu
dungeon, I'm going back to the Velvet Room to find her an "Excellent/Good" level Persona to use.

TheSeks said:
I've gotten 20 cards from the start. I dunno what makes the counter give that many out, as it's random for me between 8-20 cards for the type.

The starters/custom/ultimates don't really give too much if you return them? I just had Maya's starter finally hit the max rank and once I finish this part of
Mu
dungeon, I'm going back to the Velvet Room to find her an "Excellent/Good" level Persona to use.

You can see what the persona will give if they are maxed now. That option wasn't available before, check the velvet room under return option. Just don't return them if you don't want to. You can also hold up to 24 persona in the velvet room stock.

TheSeks

Is there anyway to map the counters in
Mu
? I can see them on the auto-map but can't reach them? :(

TheSeks

KibblesBits said:
You can't map everything. The counters will remain unfilled.

That's what I thought.

Returned Poltergeist. Gained an AG Incense. Used that on Tatsuya, because I don't think any of the other characters really need it? It's permanent, right? Gained a Minotaur in the trade off, but I'm not too sure how well a pure physical Persona is for the game since I feel Elements are better in SMT.

Edit: Also does the Pixie trick still work? Max Pixie's Rank, slap on Tatsuya for about 2-3 levels. Instant 99 luck permanently?

TheSeks said:
That's what I thought.

Returned Poltergeist. Gained an AG Incense. Used that on Tatsuya, because I don't think any of the other characters really need it? It's permanent, right? Gained a Minotaur in the trade off, but I'm not too sure how well a pure physical Persona is for the game since I feel Elements are better in SMT.

Edit: Also does the Pixie trick still work? Max Pixie's Rank, slap on Tatsuya for about 2-3 levels. Instant 99 luck permanently?

I have, well I had a maxed pixie and that glitch is gone. Rank up minotaur all the way then return him. You'll thank me later.

TheSeks

KibblesBits said:
I have, well I had a maxed pixie and that glitch is gone. Rank up minotaur all the way then return him. You'll thank me later.

Damn it. :/

Also I can't seem to figure out what "Water damage on all foes relative to casters' dexterity." Fusion spell wants a water spell in the third slot with Minotaur and maybe another new Persona. :/ It's the last fusion spell I haven't figured out yet.

TheSeks said:
Damn it. :/

Also I can't seem to figure out what "Water damage on all foes relative to casters' dexterity." Fusion spell wants a water spell in the third slot with Minotaur and maybe another new Persona. :/ It's the last fusion spell I haven't figured out yet.

Minotaur doesn't get any water spells. You should use a maha spell or another single target water spell, if that doesn't work its a uniquely named water spell.

All the spells have a pattern to them in this game.

If you can't figure it out in a day or two I'll probably just tell you.

TheSeks

KibblesBits said:
If you can't figure it out in a day or two I'll probably just tell you.

Yeah, I figured it out: Water/Earth/Water: "Bane Splash." Not sure why I thought I had that. D'oh.

cj_iwakura

Just finished off (Aerospace Museum)
King Leo
, and some of the drastic changes from the fan translation to this are dawning on me.

Masquerade <~> Masked Circle
In Laquetti <~> In Lak'ech

I kind of like Masked Circle, since it seems more like a cult, but Masquerade fits on many levels too.

Not sure on the appropriateness of the Oracle's name.

Also, regarding 'Fuhrer'.

Ms. Ideal just spilled the beans on him in the Detective scene. There's no subtlety whatsoever. You know it's him, so why do six little letters make such a big difference?

That said, this is the point in the game when things go from interesting to outright insane.

Much like when Joker goes away in EP. You think that's when things are going to clear up? They just get worse.

NichM

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
Just finished off (Aerospace Museum)
King Leo
, and some of the drastic changes from the fan translation to this are dawning on me.

Masquerade <~> Masked Circle
In Laquetti <~> In Lak'ech

I kind of like Masked Circle, since it seems more like a cult, but Masquerade fits on many levels too.

Not sure on the appropriateness of the Oracle's name.

"Masked Circle" was chosen to avoid confusion with the actual masquerade at Kasugayama High near the start of the game, plus it's in keeping with (big spoilers)
something little kids would come up with for a sentai-style secret organization.
As for
In Lak'ech
, well, see for yourself. The fan translation was going off the inaccurate romanization seen on the Key Items graphic for the Oracle, which I believe we also fixed for our version.

TheSeks

NichM said:
"Masked Circle" was chosen to avoid confusion with the actual masquerade at Kasugayama High near the start of the game, plus it's in keeping with (big spoilers)
something little kids would come up with for a sentai-style secret organization.
As for
In Lak'ech
, well, see for yourself. The fan translation was going off the inaccurate romanization seen on the Key Items graphic for the Oracle, which I believe we also fixed for our version.

Didn't answer the
Hitler
question. I guess that's due to NDA/ESRB?

cj_iwakura

TheSeks said:
Didn't answer the
Hitler
question. I guess that's due to NDA/ESRB?

I highly doubt they care about Hitler. It's not an ESRB related issue. That's not how they work.

I would guess it's simply keeping to the original version.

Still,
it becomes all the more ironic later on.

Paracelsus

NichM said:
As for
In Lak'ech

iirc they knew the transliteration was wrong but the assumption was that Laquetti was written like that on purpose. It wasn't just that one "mistake", it was same for the Oracle of "Maiya". I could be remembering wrong, I should ask them I guess.

cj_iwakura

Also, I kind of hope EP just hits the PSN, rather than see it get redubbed.

I can't fathom losing Baofu, Katsuya, or Ulala's original dub voices.

I already miss
Tatsuya Sudou's
maniacal EP voice.

Persona! Persona!
CALL YOUR PERSONA!

cj_iwakura said:
Also, I kind of hope EP just hits the PSN, rather than see it get redubbed.

I can't fathom losing Baofu, Katsuya, or Ulala's original dub voices.

I already miss
Tatsuya Sudou's
maniacal EP voice.

Persona! Persona!
CALL YOUR PERSONA!

No. I want it remastered just like Innocent Sin. New remix tracks, a better translation and a mix of old voices with new voices. If you want the old game you already have the means to play it that way.

cj_iwakura

KibblesBits said:
No. I want it remastered just like Innocent Sin. New remix tracks, a better translation and a mix of old voices with new voices. If you want the old game you already have the means to play it that way.

EP already has an extremely good translation, 'Lunarvale' isms aside.

cj_iwakura said:

Meh, I'd like it to match what the current team has done with Innocent Sin. At the most it would be editing and reentering characters. All of the hard work is on Index's side.

And actually concerning Monad Mandala:

Make an option to return Jun's memory and make the final boss SUPER difficult.

cj_iwakura

Also, I have to say that spell animations are FAR more fluid in the PSP version. Spells like War Cry and such always had lag on the PS1.

TheSeks

cj_iwakura said:

Except it's really jarring coming from a time of better character limits. I honestly would love EP to be quickly ported (since the engine is already there) and redone for the PSP within this year if possible before the PSP is truly and utterly dead in 2013 due to the PSP2.

TheSeks

Shit. I seemed to have missed the 4th floor of
Mu Continent
's dungeon mapping. I can't seem to figure out which stairs connect to that one. It's the very bottom right of the map below the boss area of the map.

TheSeks

KibblesBits said:
I feel your pain TheSeks.

:lol I just want to make sure I have EVERYTHING mapped like Persona 1 so I don't feel the need to redo the game and explore it again.

cj_iwakura

Am I the first one to take on the theater quests? Some... interesting stuff here.

A warning about 'potentially offensive or harmful content', and that I can easily quit the game if it's too much. WTF?

Why does this have me hyped?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
cj_iwakura said:
Am I the first one to take on the theater quests? Some... interesting stuff here.

A warning about 'potentially offensive or harmful content', and that I can easily quit the game if it's too much. WTF?

Why does this have me hyped?

I beat all three last weekend XD

Had some interesting moments :)

cj_iwakura

Akselziys said:
I beat all three last weekend XD

Had some interesting moments :)

Does everything get resolved? I'm worried about loose ends and the DLC content we're not getting.

New battle music, too. Nice.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
cj_iwakura said:
Does everything get resolved? I'm worried about loose ends and the DLC content we're not getting.

New battle music, too. Nice.

Yeah, the School of the Heart quest has 2 parts and the Persona Thief quest is self contained.

And yeah, it has new battle music by Meguro haha

I was level 28ish when I beat the Persona Thief quest, but the enemies there become ~Level 70, so beware XD

TheSeks

cj_iwakura said:

I don't want to over level on my low level challenge so far. Once I run into some problems I'll probably start to do them.

In any case, I'm up to
Giga Macho
Which is like...
5 of 8 dungeons
? I haven't played in a couple of days as the encounters are burning me out a little. It isn't the games fault, I just am probably getting older and less tolerant toward JRPG random encounters. *shrug*

cj_iwakura

I'm pretty close to endgame, and I have to say the dub voices of the
Holy Lance Knights
are really good. They nailed the accents without them being silly. They have some awesome dialogue, too.

Zafir

So, my copy arrived from Ghostlight today, but I'm having problem getting it running on 5.00M33-6. The usual version patch didn't work, my psp just switches off. Any other patches around?

Edit: Got it to work. Nevermind!

The translation is a bit odd. "I'll let you alone." ? I'm guessing it was meant to be leave? xD Oh well. I've read worse translations.

Playing into it further, it seems that was just a blip. Haven't seen anything scream at me since.

cj_iwakura

The level criteria for the theater quests is nonsense. More like L15 for School of the Heart, L30 for The Persona Thief if you want it to be fun.

And the Karukozaka HS quest is wonderful. So many random If references.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
cj_iwakura said:
The level criteria for the theater quests is nonsense. More like L15 for School of the Heart, L30 for The Persona Thief if you want it to be fun.

And the Karukozaka HS quest is wonderful. So many random If references.

Hehe, exactly ;)

I loved all the references and it was just the right amount of challenge being ~Level 28 when I traversed/beat the Persona Thief quest :) (The School of the Heart Quest was much easier at that level XD)

cj_iwakura

Found this at GameFAQs. Seems we missed... quite a bit.

Thanks to enigmaopoeia from GFAQs.
Here are the listing of the available quests so far for the Japanese version. Do note that my translations may be off:

School of the Heart: Part 1 - Director: Atlus.
School of the Heart: Part 2 - Director: Atlus.
The Persona Thief - Director: Atlus.

DLC:
The truth behind the Demonic Gentleman - Director: FamiTsu.
S.O.S. Gemaga - Director: Gemaga.
Persona 2: Mikage I - Director: Satomi Tadashi.
Persona 2: Mikage II - Director: Satomi Tadashi.
Persona 2: Mikage III - Director: Satomi Tadashi.
Hanako from the Toilets - Director: Gamewatch.
Write a Report about the Mafia's Arrival - Director: 4Gamer.net.
Flower Rumors, a Dream of Tomorrow - Director: Dengeki.

Not sure of the quality.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
cj_iwakura said:
Found this at GameFAQs. Seems we missed... quite a bit.

Thanks to enigmaopoeia from GFAQs.

Not sure of the quality.

I'm most interested in these three >.<

I wonder what they entailed :3

Akselziys said:
I'm most interested in these three >.<

I wonder what they entailed :3

My understanding is that
something ~spooky~ is happening at St. Hermelin, so Maki and some of the other alums (Brown, Reiji and Elly) head back there to investigate. Tatsuya's team follows them, but the P1 characters can't see them. So it's basically Tatsuya's team following Maki's team around and watching them solve the mystery.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
TurnipFritters said:
My understanding is that
something ~spooky~ is happening at St. Hermelin, so Maki and some of the other alums (Brown, Reiji and Elly) head back there to investigate. Tatsuya's team follows them, but the P1 characters can't see them. So it's basically Tatsuya's team following Maki's team around and watching them solve the mystery.

That sounds cool :3 *jealous*

cj_iwakura

Wow, I'm totally lost in Karuzohaka HS.
(The Persona Thief quest)

Weyland went to the roof, the central area has two pits, and no other way into it. Any hints?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
cj_iwakura said:
Wow, I'm totally lost in Karuzohaka HS.
(The Persona Thief quest)

Weyland went to the roof, the central area has two pits, and no other way into it. Any hints?

That might be the part where there is like one area where there is one strip of tile before the pitfall that you can use to walk around the pit with?

cj_iwakura

Akselziys said:
That might be the part where there is like one area where there is one strip of tile before the pitfall that you can use to walk around the pit with?

Not seeing anything like that.

___
XX-
XX*<~ cone
___

No way around it.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
cj_iwakura said:
Not seeing anything like that.

___
XX-
XX*<~ cone
___

No way around it.

Yeah, I remember an area where I had the same dilemma as you and realized there was an area where:

___
---*-<~ cone
XX--
XX--
---*-
___-
-

Or something to that effect lol

cj_iwakura

Akselziys said:
Yeah, I remember an area where I had the same dilemma as you and realized there was an area where:

___
---*-<~ cone
XX--
XX--
---*-
___-
-

Or something to that effect lol

Can't find this area at all, and I'm just shy of mapping out every dang block of this area. Is there another staircase besides the two I've found? One leads straight to a pit, the other's a wider area that has two pits, but nothing else of note.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
cj_iwakura said:
Can't find this area at all, and I'm just shy of mapping out every dang block of this area. Is there another staircase besides the two I've found? One leads straight to a pit, the other's a wider area that has two pits, but nothing else of note.

Wait, how far up are you?

Once you get high enough, you're forced to drop into a pit I believe from what I remember.

And then you have to follow it down to an area that has another staircase XD

cj_iwakura

Akselziys said:
Wait, how far up are you?

Once you get high enough, you're forced to drop into a pit I believe from what I remember.

And then you have to follow it down to an area that has another staircase XD

2F. I can't get into the central area. Both halls are blocked by pits.

GameFAQs saved me!

"The only way to get to the room you described is to fall down a pitfall from the 4th floor. To actually get to the 3rd floor. Start by taking the south/eastern most stairwell on the 1st floor to 2nd floor. Then immediately to your west will be a doorway that leads to the west wing of the school. This will eventually lead to the stairwell to the 3rd floor. Fair warning though, there are TONS of pitfalls that'll set you back.

If you do not mind being spoiled, here's a map of the entire area.

http://kouryakutsushin.com/persona2/quest-personadoro.htm

I personally tried to avoid using the maps... but the sheer amount of pitfalls made me rage pretty hard :( It was like Karma Palace or Avidea World all over again to me."

cj_iwakura

Wow, Yukino at Caracol.

YOU PIECE OF SHIT!

That was some intense voice acting. Give that actress my regards.

Top Bottom