• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 the Movie #1 Spring of Birth - Opens Nov 23 in Japan

cafemomo

rumor has it that it turned into Soul Hackers Portable
Better deal in the end, been waiting almost 9 years to play that game

Well, if that is the case, then it was a better deal in the end. SH was fantastic.

As much as I love P3 (It's personally my favorite Persona game), I wouldn't want to see anymore remakes/updates/etc with it. I already bought that damn game 4 times (Vanilla, FES, Portable, Portable for Vita)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bleh, I really like the name Minato.

Anyways, it's great that the better Persona game gets a movie on its own. Perchance... maybe they could change the ending so it could be happier? Doubt it... but damn it the MC deserved better.

Better off without it, Persona 3 is the outlier in the series for summoning gimmicks, seemed too try hard to me imo...

Anyways, it's great that the better Persona game gets a movie on its own.

B-but Persona 2 Eternal Punishment > Persona 2 Innocent Sin > Persona 4 > Persona 3 The Answer > Persona > Persona 3 The Journey

so the better persona game DIDNT get a movie or an anime of its own :(

Sophia

Atlus themselves never announced a Persona title on the 3DS, ever.

Yet almost every game on that list came true in some form or another. Etrian Odyssey was EO4. Shin Megami Tensei was probably SMTIV. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor was Overclocked.

The only missing games are Soul Hackers (not on the list) and SMT Persona (never came out) so it's safe to say the game on that list became Soul Hackers. :p

RPGamer92

Banned
Yet almost every game on that list came true in some form or another. Etrian Odyssey was EO4. Shin Megami Tensei was probably SMTIV. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor was Overclocked.

The only missing games are Soul Hackers (not on the list) and SMT Persona (never came out) so it's safe to say the game on that list became Soul Hackers. :p
Yep, that old E3 list came true for the most part in terms of Atlus games except for Persona so far. I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see it for 3DS.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

EO = safety bet because three of them came out on the DS.

Overclocked was announced already IIRC.

Course, SMT was "announced" on a similar list when the PS3 launched. So SOMEONE eventually had to get that one right. (It's also on the list of Vita games)

I just take no stock in any list, until I see the actual evidence of said game existing.

Seriously, if there was a way to play Persona 3 without Junpei in it, my life would be better. Had no interest in dealing with him as MC, and found him to be an obnoxious pervert creep as FeMC.

He's arguably the most human character in the entire game due to his flaws, and everything obnoxious/perverted he does is driven by his issues, which can make him extremely relatable as well.

I relate to him on a personal level because I share his aforementioned issues, and so I can really see where he's coming from and why he does what he does.

Also, I refuse to believe that anyone can see his S. Link with FeMC as anything other than great. He treats her like a sister by the end, which ends up actually affecting the story by unlocking extra scenes in November and January.

jediyoshi

Yukari can go fall into a dank pit, though.

IBtL02Z.jpg

Perkel

Banned
wat

P4 had even more anime trope stereotype fanservice nonsense in comparison. It got progressively worse from P3 -> P3:FES -> P3P -> P4 -> P4G

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if P5 turned out to be SMT: Love Hina.

Difference between P3 characters and P4 is that those characters in P3 never go outside of stereotype. Only Yukari, Junpei and that tanned girl are proper characters that are not easily put into their stereotype box.

P4 does have stereotype characters but those characters behave in realistic fashion. No more i am princess and i don't know how to eat fast food bullshit. No more i am robot i don't hava feeling please teach me.

P4 group of characters sure is not that amazing but they are much better than whole cast of P3.

P4 had a more balanced cast. It takes less suspension of disbelief to get into the characters. P3 had the food cult fat dude, "imma protect you" robot, a dog that summons personas and the student principal shutting up the actual principal.

Aigis was such an out of place character that broke my immersion for quite a while.

Takao

Banned
this movie isn't coming out because nintendo will buy atlus and they won't allow sony to release this movie

Pouh

I wonder if this will be not bad but not as good, like the P4 animation, or a pretty strong start and then derail into complete crap like the Devil Survivor 2 animation.

What's the problem with Devil Survivor 2 The Animation ? Just asking, I didn't see anything of it.

Shouta

P4 had a more balanced cast. It takes less suspension of disbelief to get into the characters. P3 had the food cult fat dude, "imma protect you" robot, a dog that summons personas and the student principal shutting up the actual principal.

Aigis was such an out of place character that broke my immersion for quite a while.

But the P4 cast isn't really any better though. You've got the martial arts/meathead girl, the rich/high-culture girl, the idol, stupid best friend, etc. Most of the S-links aren't really better either. I'll take slightly more goofy over slightly more boring.

Yeah, both casts have characters that can be covered by tropes.

Personally, the thing is P4 cast feels more relatable/believable. Stupid best friend, meathead, rich cultured person... you probably know people like that IRL. But a person as characteristically robotic and overprotective as Aigis? Someone who starts a food cult? Just doesn't feel as believable for me.

P3 does have those believable characters. Yukari is pretty much a normal girl who has a bit of popularity. I'm sure we've met a lot of Junpeis throughout school, and buddy mentors like Akihiko. The bads just really stick out for me.

And yeah there are boring P4 SLinks like the black lady and the tutor kid.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
But a person as characteristically robotic and overprotective as Aigis?

I know a few people who made similar comments about Teddie, as he's not really human either. Not that he's too robotic or whatever, but that him coming over was their jump the shark moment, even with the given reality the game constructed for them.

Someone who starts a food cult?

I can see how an obsessive foodie who at first wants to start a food/dining club or something can get to that point. Considering the Japanese setting and the whole "there's otaku for everything lol" mentality I've seen at times, I wasn't too offput by it.

It's certainly more believable than the shrine fox. ;P

Zafir

Just depends what you prefer I think. Both casts are rife with tropes. I found 4's cast more boring though, and also felt it was a bit unrealistic how everyone became best friends so quickly. Consequently I'd take 3's cast if any. That said I also didn't like Aigis.

Just depends what you prefer I think. Both casts are rife with tropes. I found 4's cast more boring though, and also felt it was a bit unrealistic how everyone became best friends so quickly. Consequently I'd take 3's cast if any. That said I also didn't like Aigis.
Well they saved each others lives and experienced and saw really hidden and embarrassing secrets about each other. Forming a connection through that seemed pretty reasonable. The P3 cast never felt believably like friends, they rarely hung out together out of their own volition. It just looked like a part time job for them even when they all lived together.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The P3 cast never felt believably like friends, they rarely hung out together out of their own volition. It just looked like a part time job for them even when they all lived together.

Which is pretty believable IMO. I don't see why people expect those who liked P3's cast thinking it wasn't like that.

Zafir

Well they saved each others lives and experienced and saw really hidden and embarrassing secrets about each other. Forming a connection through that seemed pretty reasonable. The P3 cast never felt believably like friends, they rarely hung out together out of their own volition. It just looked like a part time job for them even when they all lived together.
Yeah, that is how the P3 cast is, but to me their relationships were more believable. They never chose to hang around with each other, besides maybe Junpei with the MC, they felt obligated to due to them being the only ones who could stop the dark hour. Consequently, they aren't going to be the best of friends right away, there will be some issues, and eventually they'll work them out, or maybe not . I just found it very hard to believe how happy the cast of 4 was 99% of the time, especially considering the pressure that they were under in terms of being the only ones who could save the victims. The only tension between characters from what I remember was between Yosuke and the MC in terms of a bit of jealousy.

Top Bottom