• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena European release date bad news [Update: Suffering continues]

The ultimate drop kick in the balls would be for the euro publisher there's no more business case to releasing it here and dropping the game altogether.

Obviously not happening but from their perspective, that would actually be sensible.

Edit: Delay-wise, isn't this actually worse than the Rayman debacle?

We're reaching a year wait undisclosed levels of waiting , since we don't have a date from zen united yet .

jcm

many people (including me ) predicted this turn of events as soon as the region lock was introduced in the story . Us players told us that this wasn't important and to wait ..

The way most us players treated us on the internet is a total shame

Hey. Some of us Americans have been with you guys from the start. I'm still boycotting it, and I'm a huge Persona fan.

Fisico

Fact is as european we're screwed whatever we do
(if we don't buy the game => there's no public => no release anymore
if we buy the game => there's almost a public => they don't care about region locking ) => we won't release SMT IV & Soul Hackers anyway

So far we've been saved by the magic swap and the lack of region locking on hardware, but a trick like the magic swap will probably never happen again and regarding the non region locked hardware the only one in that case is bombing hard and Atlus is not supporting it.

If you look at the P4Arena situation with regards of what happened with Atlus titles for a decade, it is in fact one of the best case we've ever got.

And i'm not even talking about translations, what a foolish thing to do for such titles.

We're reaching a year wait undisclosed levels of waiting , since we don't have a date from zen united yet .
That March 29 date isn't even confirmed? LOL. The gift that keeps on giving.

Hey. Some of us Americans have been with you guys from the start. I'm still boycotting it, and I'm a huge Persona fan.
Wow, you're awesome dude. Seriously.

So far we've been saved by the magic swap and the lack of region locking on hardware, but a trick like the magic swap will probably never happen again and regarding the non region locked hardware the only one in that case is bombing hard and Atlus is not supporting it.
It's even worse than that. Atlus went to the length of setting a precedent on what was so far a region free console. Which means I'd never assume any hardware is region free from now on.

Fisico

It's even worse than that. Atlus went to the length of setting a precedent on what was so far a region free console. Which means I'd never assume any hardware is region free from now on.

Yup, it's fun to see the reason was the different of prices between Japan and US despite the exact same content (text asides, but for a fighting game who cares) and that in the end the people affected were in neither of those regions.
They were very proud of the fact they were finally able to offer dual audio to one of their game, and now Golden is US dub only, did they ever gave a reason for that ?

if we buy the game => there's almost a public => they don't care about region locking ) => we won't release SMT IV & Soul Hackers anyway

If you look at the P4Arena situation with regards of what happened with Atlus titles for a decade, it is in fact one of the best case we've ever got.

And i'm not even talking about translations, what a foolish thing to do for such titles.

Or never buy a PAL console ever again... Which is what I'm doing from now on.

Jucksalbe

Banned
There's a "Timed Trial" of the PSN version on the US store. I guess that should be enough to see if the game might be region free.

Edit: It's locked.

There's a "Timed Trial" of the PSN version on the US store. I guess that should be enough to see if the game might be region free.

As expected ..
Now i know.

This is a total shame.

Maybe ( lol ) Zen united will release a digital version of the game in europe too ( rofl )
i can't wait ( kof keuf )

Honestly? They should have not included the JP audio track if it allowed them to satisfy the index overlords who feared reverse importing and not have it region locked. Still, fuck index for making it an either/or.

Recall

This was never going to be released. It's all too late now anyway, fighting games are best to be learnt with the community, jumping in cold when only the best players are left makes learning the game super challenging and/or frustrating.

Atlus have made sure that this title has brought in less money for themselves than was possible, it's their own fault. Yet somehow we as consumers are to be blamed.

Tizoc

Anyone know of any video game events taking place in Japan in the next few weeks/months, like AOU (for arcade games)?

This was never going to be released. It's all too late now anyway, fighting games are best to be learnt with the community, jumping in cold when only the best players are left makes learning the game super challenging and/or frustrating.

Atlus have made sure that this title has brought in less money for themselves than was possible, it's their own fault. Yet somehow we as consumers are to be blamed.

I think youre assuming a lot by thinking you're gonna be able to play with US/Jpn players with a Euro copy.
I won't be surprised if online is region locked too.

I think youre assuming a lot by thinking you're gonna be able to play with US/Jpn players with a Euro copy.

I don't think that will be an issue ... Beyond practicality.

Btw game uk has updated their release date...to May 3.

We've had dozens of random retailer dates for Europe by now. All the way from 8th of August to May. The one that'll count is the one Zen says.

Yet somehow we as consumers are to be blamed.
Keh, like there's any other way in the gaming industry. Gamer entitlement and all that. Everything is the players' fault, even if a game is utter shit it's to be blamed on us.

mclem

I am not suffering due to this, but it's kind of hard to believe that of all the companies to pull things like this, it's ATLUS.

Why's that hard to believe? It's Europe. Atlus... does not concern itself with Europe. I suppose it's a mild surprise that they've trodden on the toes of another publisher in the process.

Coz one disc game in the entire 7 years of the PS3 was region locked?

That certainly isn't a good reason...however I'm certainly being very careful before jumping in next generation. I feel burnt to date on the 3DS and feel pretty silly for not getting an international model.

I believe it is only a matter of time before Australia/NZ specific region locking happens and will be making sure first.

Shito

I would.
The game is actually region locked between the US and Asian versions, yet the online is not; I would be very surprised if they went out of their way to change this, without any good reason to do so.

Recall

I'm in the UK so have a UK PS3 but have both a EU and US psn accounts. Persona 4 Arena is on the US PSN store for just $30, will this still be region locked if I purchase this?

I've had no issues with other games in the past doing this but never dealt with a game that is region protected.

OMG Aero

I'm in the UK so have a UK PS3 but have both a EU and US psn accounts. Persona 4 Arena is on the US PSN store for just $30, will this still be region locked if I purchase this?

I've had no issues with other games in the past doing this but never dealt with a game that is region protected.
Still region locked.

Conan-san

At this point, I really don't care who gets upset by just having the game be out already. Arc shouldn't have drug thier feet, Atlus shouldn't have region locked. If at least one group is upset by just making the thing avaiable then good. They had it coming to them.

ibun

if we buy the game => there's almost a public => they don't care about region locking)

so true...and if its a download only title, they wouldnt have to care either, since they didnt have any hardcopies laying around and collecting dust on the shelves.

KiteGr

Perhaps the real reason for the delay is them waiting for Persona 4 golden!
That one got delayed in Europe for 3 months and it will be officially released this sunday.

NotLiquid

Isn't Zen United comprised of small 6-man team? Well one really needs to wonder about SCEE's Q&A, why would a game like this take so unbelievably long to get OKed for release.

It's usually about a month or two I believe, and last they updated on the game being sent for cert they said they hadn't gotten the 360 version just that moment yet, so I think it should be ready soon.

For once a problem that is out of Zen's hands, go figure. Of course, they're not making matters any better by posting memetic shit no one cares about on their Facebook page and I reserve a right to go back to calling them incompetent once they reveal the release date and miss it.

I guess they're aware of it at least.

Kron

Banned
You'd think it'd make more sense now to make the European release a budget games on demand title.

How can they take 8+ months to publish a finished title?, What an utter shambles.

OMG Aero

Perhaps the real reason for the delay is them waiting for Persona 4 golden!
That one got delayed in Europe for 3 months and it will be officially released this sunday.
I'm sure the real reason is that they want everyone to get used to Chie and Teddie's new voice in Golden before the sequel.

KiteGr

Why would they wait for that?
Well... Persona 4 Arena IS a direct sequel to that game, and the last time we saw that game was 4 years ago at the end of the PS2's life (WoW! was it really only 4 years? There must be some mistake there...)

Anyway! I got into the persona series only a year ago with the re-release of the first and the third one on the PSP. I didn't finish P3P cause I didn't like the absence of graphics, so I got the Fes edition and started the game over on my BC PS3, and I'm currently strugling to finish it before friday (the release of Golden in Europe is actually friday 22).

I didn't know that this game got such a massive delay in Europe, because I haven't played P4 so I didn't bother with it despite having it on my "to buy" list.
Lets hope they don't censore anything. I hate censoship and skipped the entire new Ninja Gaiden Franchise because of it!

mclem

Quite easily it turns out, if you look at the PAL release history of basically every Atlus title ever.

I am hoping - possibly irrationally, but we'll see - that the fact that EO4 PAL has been announced for release surprisingly soon compared to the US release ("Spring 2013", when the US release is Feb 26th) suggests that maybe things are changing for the better in that regard.

I am hoping - possibly irrationally, but we'll see - that the fact that EO4 PAL has been announced for release surprisingly soon compared to the US release ("Spring 2013", when the US release is Feb 26th) suggests that maybe things are changing for the better in that regard.
Or it's more like Nintendo is pushing EO4 because they published the originals on the DS in Europe, thus more than likely it's cause they are publishing it. Maybe we'll have Square-Enix or Koei publishing the next Atlus game, more than likely with the title Persona...and is not a spin off...

Or it's more like Nintendo is pushing EO4 because they published the originals on the DS in Europe, thus more than likely it's cause they are publishing it. Maybe we'll have Square-Enix or Koei publishing the next Atlus game, more than likely with the title Persona...and is not a spin off...
Nintendo is not publishing EO4 in Europe.

Top Bottom