• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena Region-Locked on PS3 - Confirmed [PR statement in OP]

The issue comes with the region coding listed on PS3 game boxes, if we go by those then the Japanese version of P4:A should be compatible with European PS3s as they are both region 2.

I doubt it would work like that, most region 2 JP PS3 game I have, have " FOR JAPAN ONLY" written below the region code. so if they locked i doubt it would work on EU. SCEE and SCEJ are different entity

generally PS3 game have code like this:

Region 1 : XXUS
Region 2 europe : XXES
Region 3 JP : XXJS
Region 3 Asia : XXAS (XXKS for korea)

XX=BL/BC

never seen PS3 games region 5/6 etc, afaik both AU and NZ are Region 4 using same rating system, while the rest of central and south america now i believe under SCEA and using NA rating system and Region 1 disc (all of this according to respective country game boxart and rating system on their respective playstation website) also India now under SCEE and use European rating system and region 2 game

so generally afaik the region currently used are like this":

-SCEA territory NA and LATAM region 1
-SCEE territory are EMEAA (include india) Region 2 (Region 4 for AU & NZ)
-SCEJ territory are JP and ASIA (Region 2 JP and Region 3 for Asia

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if they're still monitoring this thread and if there's gonna be another pr response. I'm guessing no to the latter.

I wonder if they're still monitoring this thread and if there's gonna be another pr response. I'm guessing no to the latter.

no ..it's over ( i'd love to be wrong on this part ) .they said what they wanted and issued an PR statement , they don't care anymore ...

Weird, to be honest if it was that simple I'm surprised no one else has done it before already.

Sounds to me like its the PAL publisher wanting to make sure their sales are protected by people not being able to import a NTSC version months and months before the PAL one comes out.

Would people really import between Japan and America just because of a few $$ difference?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
no ..it's over ( i'd love to be wrong on this part ) .they said what they wanted and issued an PR statement , they don't care anymore ...

The fact that Zen United hasn't issued a statement is worrisome.

SerRodrik

I doubt they don't care, but what more is there to say? At this point the discussion is just fans bickering with each other. No PR statement is going to change that.

Right there are 11 different hardware regions, but those just determine BD, DVD, PS1 regions etc.

00 Japan (DVD:2/BD:A/PS:JPN)
01 USA/Canada (DVD:1/BD:A/PS:USA)
02 Australia/New Zealand (DVD:4/BD:B/PS:EUR)
03 UK/Ireland (DVD:2/BD:B/PS:EUR)
04 Europe/Middle East/South Africa (DVD:2/BD:B/PS:EUR)
05 Korea (DVD:3/BD:A/PS:JPN)
06 Southeast Asia (DVD:3/BD:A/PS:JPN)
07 Taiwan (DVD:3/BD:A/PS:JPN)
08 Russia/India (DVD:5/BD:C/PS:EUR)
11 Latin America (DVD:4/BD:A/PS:USA)
12 Hong Kong (DVD:3/BD:A/PS:JPN)

The issue comes with the region coding listed on PS3 game boxes, if we go by those then the Japanese version of P4:A should be compatible with European PS3s as they are both region 2.

So I remembered it right earlier. UK/Ireland is a separate region from the rest of EU.
Good thing you reminded me EU free trade laws would prohibit Sony from publishing a game locked like that, or else we EU mainlanders could say goodbye to buying from Amazon.co.uk, The Hut, Zavvi, Play.com et cetera...

Weird, to be honest if it was that simple I'm surprised no one else has done it before already.

Sounds to me like its the PAL publisher wanting to make sure their sales are protected by people not being able to import a NTSC version months and months before the PAL one comes out.

Would people really import between Japan and America just because of a few $$ difference?
Not people but they were afriad of Japanese retailers importing the us version ( lot of copies ) because for them it would have been a significant différence.

So basically

tumblr_m1ctekSi3d1qg85ps.gif
Yeap .. It's too late but i'll be vocal as much as needed on all fronts if possible.

So I remembered it right earlier. UK/Ireland is a separate region from the rest of EU.
Good thing you reminded me EU free trade laws would prohibit Sony from publishing a game locked like that, or else we EU mainlanders could say goodbye to buying from Amazon.co.uk, The Hut, Zavvi, Play.com et cetera...

Yes that's why Many games ( Uk ) version are incomplete or missing things from other europeans countries ... Why you can't use a UK version of white knight chronicles 2 Online ( even in europe ) outside of UK itself..
They will still work but things are missings ..

Yes that's why Many games ( Uk ) version are incomplete or missing things from other europeans countries ... Why you can't use a UK version of white knight chronicles 2 Online ( even in europe ) outside of UK itself..
They will still work but things are missings ..

what was missing in WKC2? i played it just fine without any issues online.

what was missing in WKC2? i played it just fine without any issues online.

If you got a Uk version, you couldn't play online with a non - uk psn account ..They basicly made a Uk version to prevent imports within europe..
Game works but no online, unless you make a Uk psn account on your ps3...and if you don't play on that Uk account , say goodbye to any Dlc geonet related.

WKC2 without online is ...well .. incomplete in my eyes ..

If you got a Uk version, you couldn't play online with a non - uk psn account ..They basicly made a Uk version to prevent imports within europe..
Game works but no online, unless you make a Uk psn account on your ps3...and if you don't play on that Uk account , say goodbye to any Dlc geonet related.

sorry, but that's not true. i never play with a UK account and i bought the game in UK. worked fine. trophies unlocked on my main account, no problems.

alstein

I wonder if this will lead to hardware hacks that switch region to the US for consoles. I don't know how hard that would be.

I don't know about that game in particular, but I know that there are many specific restrictions to online funcionality in place between UK and the rest of EU because of the currency difference. I don't think this would be the case though.

sorry, but that's not true. i never play with a UK account and i bought the game in UK. worked fine. trophies unlocked on my main account, no problems.

Then you got the regular euro version in the Uk..
Did you have the regular Eur version BCES or the BCUK version ...one has 5 languages to choose from and "free" and the other from what i've read is for "uk" with only english.

The Uk version doesn't even have the rest of the languages according to this link.

I REPEAT : the regular EU version work without problems (with most of the countries i've tried it ), not the UK version

EDIT : found it

The european version is : BCES-01085
the uk version is : BCES-01156

When playing in the xmb , you should have [nameofgame]+BCES if you have the regular version.
Uk version has [nameofgame] only

Jucksalbe

Banned
I have the UK version (BCES-01156), used my Geonet license code on the German store, play on a German account on a Japanese console and I can use the Geonet without a problem.

I have the UK version (BCES-01156), used my Geonet license code on the German store, play on a German account on a Japanese console and I can use the Geonet without a problem.

i have several friends i encountered online who couldn't ( got uk copies , couldn't play ) couldn't reddeem the pass.
As for myself i have the regular Eur copy of the game since i got word of the 2 versions..

Anyway there is little to no reason to make two copies of the same game for the same release if you don't plan to differenciate the games in some way

Jucksalbe

Banned
i have several friends i encountered online who couldn't ( got uk copies , couldn't play ) couldn't reddeem the pass

So, the code wouldn't even be accepted in their PSN store? Had no problem with it, maybe they fixed it sometime ago (bought my copy a few months ago)? It even explicitly lists all European PSN stores on the back of the game case.

So, the code wouldn't even be accepted in their PSN store? Had no problem with it, maybe they fixed it sometime ago (bought my copy a few months ago)? It even explicitly lists all European PSN stores on the back of the game case.

That's what happenned to them ....
I think my friends sold their copy on ebay and bought the regular eur copy but i discussed that issue with some people while questing ...

Dantis

Well, since this is already the topic of bad news, here's something that bothers me:

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/Thatguy75/proof.png

I actually enjoyed her role as Naoto in the game, but much like Chie and Yukiko, some lines could have been delivered a lot better. Whoever did replace her certainly did a fine job. I guess Naoto's lines are being replaced in Golden too?

I'm actually pretty sad about this. This whole game is something of a let down for me.

NichM

Banned
Well, since this is already the topic of bad news, here's something that bothers me:

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/Thatguy75/proof.png

I actually enjoyed her role as Naoto in the game, but much like Chie and Yukiko, some lines could have been delivered a lot better. Whoever did replace her certainly did a fine job. I guess Naoto's lines are being replaced in Golden too?

That is an extremely confusing image to me, because I've never heard of this voice actor and she didn't play Naoto in the original either. Naoto's actual VA reprises her role in Arena and Golden.

SerRodrik

That is an extremely confusing image to me, because I've never heard of this voice actor and she didn't play Naoto in the original either. Naoto's actual VA reprises her role in Arena and Golden.

I thought something was odd about that. She sounded exactly the same in Arena, so the idea that it was a recast seemed unlikely.

ultron87

Who was the original English voice actor? Because everywhere on the Internet I look claims it is this Susan Dalian from that image. Obviously both of these places are editable.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Going by her Wikipedia page, she is the voice actress for Naoto in the P4 anime.

NichM

Banned
Who was the original English voice actor? Because everywhere on the Internet I look claims it is this Susan Dalian from that image. Obviously both of these places are editable.

I'm not at liberty to say. Fans do sometimes guess wrong about the identity of VAs in our games, since they're not usually credited, and when that guess winds up on Wikipedia then it becomes widely believed. But I'm pretty sure we've never worked with Susan Dalian before, and definitely sure she wasn't the original Naoto. Maybe she plays the part in The Animation, like someone suggested.

Dantis

I'm not at liberty to say. Fans do sometimes guess wrong about the identity of VAs in our games, since they're not usually credited, and when that guess winds up on Wikipedia then it becomes widely believed. But I'm pretty sure we've never worked with Susan Dalian before, and definitely sure she wasn't the original Naoto. Maybe she plays the part in The Animation, like someone suggested.

This is incredibly interesting to me. I'm pretty sure people have been saying she's Naoto for absolutely ages.

I guess someone got it wrong and nobody realised.

NichM

Banned
This is incredibly interesting to me. I'm pretty sure people have been saying she's Naoto for absolutely ages.

I guess someone got it wrong and nobody realised.

The other thing is that voice actors, especially prolific ones (and you have to work a lot in that business) don't always remember every role they do. So Susan may well have just assumed the fan asking her about the role knew what he was talking about and replied from there...!

Dantis

I think you're probably right. Very interesting stuff, thanks for clearing that up.

It makes me feel better. I was actually concerned the voice had changed when I saw the moves video, but I guess I was just remembering wrong.

Will we ever get a confirmation that it's only Chie and Teddie who have new actors?

Played the game in Akihabara with friends yesterday and feel even sadder about the situation. Really like the game, we had an absolute blast (and these were mostly friends who had never played a fighting game before, but gave it a chance cause I asked them too).

God damn it Atlus and god damn it Zen. :-(

Dantis

Played the game in Akihabara with friends yesterday and feel even sadder about the situation. Really like the game, we had an absolute blast (and these were mostly friends who had never played a fighting game before, but gave it a chance cause I asked them too).

God damn it Atlus and god damn it Zen. :-(

DAMN YOU.

I get some good news and you bring me down again.

Whoa, that IS extremely confusing. Maybe the person who posted that picture photoshopped the conversation? I'm really glad to hear it from you though.

Welp since I have two Japanese systems, I have to import. That being said, could I pick up the cheaper Asian version? Will that theoretically work on a Japanese PS3? (Same region)...

Oh yeah, for sure! It could save me from throwing away $75...

I'm trying to remember if I had/have any Asian PS2 games. If they worked on my Japanese PS2 then I "should" be okay...

I think...

Ugh...

hirokazu

I doubt it would work like that, most region 2 JP PS3 game I have, have " FOR JAPAN ONLY" written below the region code. so if they locked i doubt it would work on EU. SCEE and SCEJ are different entity

generally PS3 game have code like this:

Region 1 : XXUS
Region 2 europe : XXES
Region 3 JP : XXJS
Region 3 Asia : XXAS (XXKS for korea)

XX=BL/BC

never seen PS3 games region 5/6 etc, afaik both AU and NZ are Region 4 using same rating system, while the rest of central and south america now i believe under SCEA and using NA rating system and Region 1 disc (all of this according to respective country game boxart and rating system on their respective playstation website) also India now under SCEE and use European rating system and region 2 game

so generally afaik the region currently used are like this":

-SCEA territory NA and LATAM region 1
-SCEE territory are EMEAA (include india) Region 2 (Region 4 for AU & NZ)
-SCEJ territory are JP and ASIA (Region 2 JP and Region 3 for Asia

A South American version will probably be labelled Region 5 or 6 on the box, whichever their DVD region is.

The thing is, the region labelling on the box probably doesn't correspond to any actual internal region protection scheme whatsoever. It's hard to say since we haven't seen any examples of region coding on the PS3 yet, but this game will probably show that just because both Japan and Europe both have Region 2 printed on the box doesn't mean they'll be cross-compatible.

I'm pretty sure the internal region protection mechanism works differently to the DVD region system that gets printed on the PSP and PS3 game boxes. There's probably also a reason why the region number never gets printed on the disc itself (for example, the AU/NZ discs often being identical to the EU discs, or the Asia discs often being identical to the JP or NA discs despite having different packaging).

hirokazu

Oh yeah, for sure! It could save me from throwing away $75...

I'm trying to remember if I had/have any Asian PS2 games. If they worked on my Japanese PS2 then I "should" be okay...

I think...

Ugh...
Weren't all Asian PS2 games NTSC-J? Pretty sure there were only 3 different regions for the PSone and PS2 - NTSC-U/C, NTSC-J and PAL, and there were no additional mechanisms to differentiate between an Asian NTSC-J title and a Japanese NTSC-J title.

Top Bottom