• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Considering buying Vita just for this.. loved P4 and as lame as it sounds it helped me thru depression..

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Whoa, what does it look it?

Probably like this.

pDcLf.png

Wonko_C

Does anyone knows if this will be priced lower than retail on PSN? I have about $82 in my PSN wallet and I'm planning on buying this and DJ Max.

Does anyone knows if this will be priced lower than retail on PSN? I have about $82 in my PSN wallet and I'm planning on buying this and DJ Max.

It'll be $39.99 and it's not one of the free PS+ member promo games. It might, however, have a discount on it for PS+ members but we may have to see if that comes true when PS+ for Vita hits on the November 19th.

Bullza2o

It'll be $39.99 and it's not one of the free PS+ member promo games. It might, however, have a discount on it for PS+ members but we may have to see if that comes true when PS+ for Vita hits on the November 19th.

I'm ok with $39.99 on PSN. If it was $35 and I bought 2 $20 PSN cards I would have been tempted to make another purchase with the leftover $5.

sarcoa

Hadn't seen it mentioned yet but the brief Valentine's Day event in Golden is kind of awesome in that it totally wrecked me.

Spoilers, I suppose, though not related to the main plot line.
Basically I had pursued the intimate option with every available relationship. Those streams crossed a couple of times in vanilla P4 with somewhat inconsequential effects, but Golden requires you reap what you sow. I could only commit to the Valentine's event with one girl, but you're forced to explain to the others why you're not hanging with them after they give you a present on Valentine's Day. Here's a screen grab from Yukiko.

: (

Mr.Fresh

I'm enjoying persona 3 FES on PSN but I stopped playing because I didn't wanna get bury out before this came out. One question though. Are the dungeons in Persona 4 more varied than in p3?

Balphon

I'm enjoying persona 3 FES on PSN but I stopped playing because I didn't wanna get bury out before this came out. One question though. Are the dungeons in Persona 4 more varied than in p3?

Mechanically, no. However, P4 has a series of smaller, more aesthetically varied dungeons rather than one big one which changes a little bit every 30 floors or so. Likewise, the progression is a bit different, as the main story encounters happen within the dungeons themselves rather than in a separate big setpiece event every month.

They are - each dungeon is themed to a specific character and has exposition for that character as you progress through the dungeon. But, the problem for some is that the dungeons are still semi-random and tedious to navigate through. Unlike P3's Tartarus teleport checkpoint system, in P4 you can leave the dungeons and return to the floor that you left.

yami4ct

Please, tell us!

I had a similar situation: long story short and long story long. There, I went first, your turn :)

P4 sort of changed my life as well. It's going to sound like hyperbole, but here it goes.

I was very much an introvert in high school. Didn't have many friends, didn't like people. I was going through a lot of things at the time. P4 just came to me at the right time. I was only a couple years older than the game characters and could really relate to them. A lot of their problems, however small and petty, were my problems too. To a teenager, those problems seem way greater than they are. Finishing that game really changed my outlook on life. I became more social, got a lot more friends, and generally just felt better day to day. It's more of a right place, right time scenario, but I'm really grateful and attached to that game.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Please, tell us!

I had a similar situation: long story short and long story long. There, I went first, your turn :)

Ok :) Basically I became incredibly reclusive / depressed halfway through college, aliened myself from all my friends I'd known since grade school. Not really sure why. I was playing a lot of games at the time, RPGs mostly. It was Persona that made me want what was going on in it. I wanted people to do stuff with, to eat ramen with, to hang with. After finishing the game, I slowly but surely re-assimilated myself with my friends group, and now it's as good as ever. Still a bit depressed, but I'm getting there. And I have my friends to help me out. I start a new job Monday that pays more than I have ever made, so first paycheck I get I'm getting Vita + P$G. :)

Hell yeah, sharing personal stories in the Persona thread. I love hearing about stuff like this.

P4 sort of changed my life as well. It's going to sound like hyperbole, but here it goes.

I was very much an introvert in high school. Didn't have many friends, didn't like people. I was going through a lot of things at the time. P4 just came to me at the right time. I was only a couple years older than the game characters and could really relate to them. A lot of their problems, however small and petty, were my problems too. To a teenager, those problems seem way greater than they are. Finishing that game really changed my outlook on life. I became more social, got a lot more friends, and generally just felt better day to day. It's more of a right place, right time scenario, but I'm really grateful and attached to that game.

Yeah, perception takes dramatic swings during highschool, and the game touches on this with the MC since one of his biggest obstacles is his family life. I feel like the message that "everybody has shit in their life" is consistent in this game. I never really thought about it this way until you posted this - thanks for sharing, yami4ct :)

Ok :) Basically I became incredibly reclusive / depressed halfway through college, aliened myself from all my friends I'd known since grade school. Not really sure why. I was playing a lot of games at the time, RPGs mostly. It was Persona that made me want what was going on in it. I wanted people to do stuff with, to eat ramen with, to hang with. After finishing the game, I slowly but surely re-assimilated myself with my friends group, and now it's as good as ever. Still a bit depressed, but I'm getting there. And I have my friends to help me out. I start a new job Monday that pays more than I have ever made, so first paycheck I get I'm getting Vita + P$G. :)

Reaching out to others is hard, especially when you don't have any motivation to do so and it's really cool that you got some through Persona 4. Haha, I would even suggest that people in a predicament similar to yours name their MC after themselves; a sort of vicarious escape for inspiration. Congrats on the job too, I hope you increase your diligence and your funds!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Going to have to become a Yukiko convert after listening to that new Chie voice. Just heard the battle assist clip for the first time :<

sarcoa

Going to have to become a Yukiko convert after listening to that new Chie voice. Just heard the battle assist clip for the first time :<
Either it was stockholm syndrome or I just didn't care, but after twenty or so hours new Chie turned into Chie. It wasn't as grating as I thought it might be.

Zoibie

I was really excited for this at the start of the year, but after watching the GB Endurance Run and playing through P3P I think I'm at saturation point. Luckily I've got a few months before it releases over here to warm up to the idea of playing another 60+ hours of similar dungeons.

iavi

Either it was stockholm syndrome or I just didn't care, but after twenty or so hours new Chie turned into Chie. It wasn't as grating as I thought it might be.

I'm playing through arena now, and it took me only moments to adjust to new chief and only a couple more to prefer her-while playing her campaign.

She seems funnier when speaking, or her humor is conveyed better, idk. I like.

Squire

Banned

I love stories like this. Thanks for sharing, guys :)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing through arena now, and it took me only moments to adjust to new chief and only a couple more to prefer her-while playing her campaign.

She seems funnier when speaking, or her humor is conveyed better, idk. I like.
Are they the same voice actor? I got used to and even enjoyed the P4A Chie voice but this sounds like a completely different person to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbeaieXYvxY

Never played story mode though, just online, so I'm going by her battle clips only

this kind of thinking is why Vita will never have good exclusives.

Well, consumers drive markets. What does that say for the future of premium handhelds like PSV and 3DS? Maybe nothing.

After investing a couple thousand into the DS and PSP, it's quite likely that I no longer fit the demographic they target. That doesn't mean I don't want to play remakes (i.e. P4) on a current-gen console! I would be very happy to pay full price for P4:G on PS3.

Astra

STEAK!

I'm becoming impatient for this game. I am almost finished with VLR, and I can't touch Assassin's Creed III until they patch it. I may have a few days without a game to play!

Bullza2o

I have no idea why there are many food pictures in this thread, but I'm excited to find out lol.

I played P3P on normal. I'm not done with the game, but it feels like I'm gonna have to grind soon (almost done with it). Should I do the same for Persona 4 or try a bit more challenge?

Astra

I have no idea why there are many food pictures in this thread, but I'm excited to find out lol.

I played P3P on normal. I'm not done with the game, but it feels like I'm gonna have to grind soon (almost done with it). Should I do the same for Persona 4 or try a bit more challenge?

Steak and pudding, sir!

If you felt Persona 3 was a little on the easy, maybe try P4 on Hard. It's not particularly challenging if you make use of status buffs and debuffs. I hear Golden is a little broken with some of the new skills and such. I am avoiding most details on the game, though, so perhaps someone else can explain what's broken.

Noi

Just like with P3P, I'm playing P4G on the hardest difficulty from the start.

Masochism is what I do.

Astra

I had a ribeye steak last night and i'm having pudding tonight, does that count?

Damn right it does!
I had steak tonight, and it was spectacular.

Just like with P3P, I'm playing P4G on the hardest difficulty from the start.

Masochism is what I do.

I am saying right now that I am playing on Easy or Normal, but I feel when I am at the selection screen, I'm going to pick Maniac. =(

Damn

I'm gonna get me a Vita right now and secure my sticker. Kind of need something to tide me over till the 20th

What should I get?

There was a true ending episode?????

/mindblown
Bro, man, dude, you gotta get on that shit right now. The animation quality is just a few notches above flaming dogshit, but the writing is positively brilliant.

The way they adapt certain gamey moments and concepts into a standard narrative manages to be genuinely creative yet perfectly apt. It's just really impressive.

Top Bottom