• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 came out in the west six months ago. How do you feel about it now?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Pretty big disappointment to me. Never held my interest like 3 and 4 did. I think I just prefer SMT games on handhelds.

Will probably end up being my GOTY, but I haven't completed it yet. The style and QOL improvements are on another level entirely, but the characters aren't grabbing me as much as the ones in 4 did yet.

GotY contender for me.

It has pacing and length issues, but the overall content is quite enjoyable. I liked the story (it went overboard at the end though) and a few songs are great.

Fucking Morgana

XandBosch

6 months of waiting to hear just one rumour of a possible "portable" version.

Otherwise, I haven't played it yet because I just can't invest the time. Other stuff to play. But I definitely want to.

Good first half, drag a bit in the middle, and I think, amazing final part. I realy dig the twist and turn to the story as you get closer to the ending.

I think I still like P4 more though, but I havent play it in a while. Maybe I'm taking P5 quality of life improvement for granted.

N E R O

Great game & very polished. It would be my GOTY if not for BOTW
I still prefer 4G. TBH i didn't get attached to the cast as much as I did in Golden.also the game was too long. But I'm glad that I managed to finish it

I wish if the can produce another persona game before this Gen ends. They have the assets & the Engine

I'd put it as my game of the generation so far. Not perfect, but just an overall excellent experience, and definitely exceeded the hype.

My only issues were that the cast wasn't as strong as 4 (but the only real dud of the group was Ann, I liked everyone else) and it has pacing issues. Pretty sure I beat P4 around the 70 hour mark but P5 took me 110.

The story was at it's strongest in the beginning and it starts to drag out towards the end, but I thought the payoff was solid.The dungeons were so much better than past games though.

Fukuzatsu

Really enjoyed it. I played it in Japanese, and preferred it to 3 and 4, though my previous favourite was 2 (Eternal Punishment more specifically). As someone who prefers the original style of MegaTen games, the return of gun/melee split, more elements, and demon negotiation was very welcome. Music also felt on point, and the Tokyo setting was a big plus in my opinion. Wish there were more diverse ending routes, but overall it's my favourite 'modern' Persona game (that is, of the ones directed by Hashino).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm still playing through it. Only 27 hours in and I'm enjoying it. Wasn't interested in it and this is my first Persona game. I only bought it because I had nothing else.

chirt

Neo Member
Finally beat it! Was sitting here watching the credits roll and checked my email and saw that my gaf account finally got activated. Fitting first post.

Anyway, GOTY for me so far. Roll on Mario Odyssey.

It was still good despite the glaring problems. Bad pacing, awful localization, ghetto things like lack of full voice acting, a story that is kind of pointless until halfway through the game.

It took 9 years for this? It's essentially an HD ps2 game. I was expecting something bigger and better. If we were going to get the exact same formula as the last 2 games, what was the long wait for?

Recall

I thought it was wonderful and one of the most stylish and dramatic games I've played in quite some time.

I'm aware it's not perfect and I had a genuine issue of fatigue with the middle portion of the game but instead of running away I stuck at it and was rewarded.

I like turn based combat a lot, I like characters I get to care about, Persona 5 gave me what I wanted and is still my game of the year so far.

Fukuzatsu

It was still good despite the glaring problems. Bad pacing, awful localization, ghetto things like lack of full voice acting, a story that is kind of pointless until halfway through the game.

It took 9 years for this? It's essentially an HD ps2 game. I was expecting something bigger and better. If we were going to get the exact same formula as the last 2 games, what was the long wait for?

You think so? I don't know about the localisation, but when it comes to dungeon design (that is, they are designed and not just procedural corridors), combat options, and pacing, 5 is better than 4 in all of them.

Like are you forgetting how slow P4 opens (and with no good skip function in the PS2 version), or do you genuinely think P5 is the same or worse?

Persona 5 is the only Shin Megami Tensei game I've started and quit on. I haven't played all of them, so that list only includes Nocturn, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Persona 3, FES, Persona 4, Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, Devil Summoner 1, Devil Summoner 2.

Persona 5 was death by a thousand paper cuts. There was no one thing that killed it for me, but tons of minor choices and details that slowly chopped the giant down.

You think so? I don't know about the localisation, but when it comes to dungeon design (that is, they are designed and not just procedural corridors), combat options, and pacing, 5 is better than 4 in all of them.

Like are you forgetting how slow P4 opens (and with no good skip function in the PS2 version), or do you genuinely think P5 is the same or worse?
I genuinely feel 4s pacing was better. It was slow, but it was a slow tease that felt very intentional for the mystery they were presenting. 5 felt slow and jittery in a "please shut up and let me play the game" kind of way. The bouncing back between present and past really didn't help the feeling either.

Niks

Dunno if GOTY overall but the OST is certainly up there.

Last Surprise is easily one of the best battle themes ever. Special mention to Rivers in the Desert too.

Fukuzatsu

Persona 5 is the only Shin Megami Tensei game I've started and quit on. I haven't played all of them, so that list only includes Nocturn, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Persona 3, FES, Persona 4, Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, Devil Summoner 1, Devil Summoner 2.

Persona 5 was death by a thousand paper cuts. There was no one thing that killed it for me, but tons of minor choices and details that slowly chopped the giant down.

I genuinely feel 4s pacing was better. It was slow, but it was a slow tease that felt very intentional for the mystery they were presenting. 5 felt slow and jittery in a "please shut up and let me play the game" kind of way. The bouncing back between present and past really didn't help the feeling either.

That's basically how I felt about P3P and P4G, except in P4's case I knew already the first dungeon was just going to be a big ball of nothing. I've had no problems doing NG+ on most MegaTen games, but P4 has always felt like a slog with a huge ocean between me and anything resembling MT-style gameplay. In P5, I liked how it didn't take 10 hours to get into an actual shot at a dungeon, and the dungeon itself was more than nothing (compare Kamoshida's palace with Yosuke's shadow battle and Yukiko's dungeon).

On the contrary, I'm amazed to hear you found P2 that much easier to play through if pacing was your problem, because those games more than any other Persona title tend to get complaints about the gameplay aged terribly.

Forgettable, to be honest. Even with all the gameplay improvements, it was nowhere near the greatness that were Persona 3 & 4.

The narrative and writing are what make these games as great as they are, and P5 was lacking a lot in that department. It's still a pretty good game on its own, but I can name you at least 5 games released this year that deserve the GOTY spot over it, at least IMO.

It's very good, still weaker than 4 despite all the improvements 5 made battle wise. and other QOL stuff.

It's cast and story are just weaker imo.

Still better than 3 though.

Yeah. This.

I wanted to platinum p5, but man that's gonna be a long 2nd go around.

Fukuzatsu

Forgettable, to be honest. Even with all the gameplay improvements, it was nowhere near the greatness that were Persona 3 & 4.

The narrative and writing are what make these games as great as they are, and P5 was lacking a lot in that department. It's still a pretty good game on its own, but I can name you at least 5 games released this year that deserve the GOTY spot over it, at least IMO.

What is this gem of writing people keep putting P4 on a pedestal for? Again, I haven't played it in English but it didn't seem like anything spectacular. I liked most of the adult characters but the main team ranged from intolerable (Teddy, Chie to a lesser extent) to interesting but underdeveloped (Naoto and Kanji).

Ctlead

Banned
It's the best JRPG I've played, and an all time favorite. It's really great when a game so heavily anticipated lives up to expectations.

TissueBox

For me it is mid-tier Atlus in some aspects, but because it's Persona it still retains a uniqueness, a stylish charm I love. Even still, I consider it the least resonant of the last three main installments for me. P3 ate me up, P4 immersed and hooked me, and P5 was a steady stream of qualities from both games with more fathomable dungeon crawling and a spunky story. I guess it was just more of a pleasant, full dinner than the fresh feast I was asking seconds for with its predecessors.

The biggest flaw for me is the bloat, I don't think Persona has any business being 100+ hours long. They could've cut out the Hawaii trip and Haru (she adds nothing to the game) along with her dungeon and the game would've been better for it. I still think it's better than Persona 3 and 4, and love it despite the flaws just like the other games. Also still my GOTY so far.

PK Gaming

This game's divisiveness is surreal. A total contrast to the near universal acclaim it had with reviewers (though I suspect those same reviewers will be harsher on the remake).

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. The serious pacing issues, pandering, LGBT representation and uneven, somewhat disappointing story were my chief complaints, but I really vibed with Phantom Thief concept. Returning to the coffee shop after a hard day of work felt oh so right, and P5's character progression was so much better than P3/P4. (Building your repertoire of weapons, thief tools, confidant skills and Personas >>> playing at the arcade). Absolutely adored the cast, and I wish the game gave them more moments to shine outside of the Phantom Thief business. Because seriously, the P5 cast rules.

Except Ryuji. I remember seeing this scene and going yeah, fuck that guy.

EDIT: I also really liked the game's ending.

Fukuzatsu

This game's divisiveness is surreal. A total contrast to the near universal acclaim it had with reviewers (though I suspect those same reviewers will be harsher on the remake).

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. The serious pacing issues and uneven, somewhat disappointing story were my chief complaints, but I really vibed with Phantom Thief concept. Returning to the coffee shop after a hard day of work felt oh so right, and P5's character progression was so much better than P3/P4. (Building your repertoire of weapons, thief tools, confidant skills and Personas >>> playing at the arcade). Absolutely adored the cast, and I wish the game gave them more moments to shine outside of the Phantom Thief business. Because seriously, the P5 cast rules.

The mechanic rewards for links in P5 made them way more practically useful than those in 3 or 4, and I enjoyed the writing in several of them. Iwai, Tae, Sojiro, and maybe Ohya are my personal favourites.

mhayes86

I loved Persona 4/Golden, and enjoyed 3, but I'm not sure if I'll get around to finishing 5.

I enjoyed Persona 5 for the most part, but I was really getting burnt out by the time I hit September, and stopped in early October despite enjoying the story and the overall improvements to the gameplay.

I think my main issue was that I'm not attached to a single character (confidants or party members) in the game unlike Persona 3 and 4, so that really killed my enthusiasm since social links are a huge aspect of the series. Other than the main plot advancements after Palaces, I was getting bored.

Huh. I expected a screenshot of him shouting he's a Phantom Thief or acting like a jerk against Morgana. But you hate him because he inadvertently put his mother through crap because he couldn't take any more of Kamoshida's abuse and obviously still feels guilty as hell over it?

ReiGun

Fantastic gameplay, game overall is held back buy pacing issues and a script that could have definitely used a little more editing.

PK Gaming

The mechanic rewards for links in P5 made them way more practically useful than those in 3 or 4, and I enjoyed the writing in several of them. Iwai, Tae, Sojiro, and maybe Ohya are my personal favourites.

P5 confidant abilities definitely spoiled me. It'll be hard to go back to just getting EXP bonuses whenever I go back to playing P3/P4.

Huh. I expected a screenshot of him shouting he's a Phantom Thief or acting like a jerk against Morgana. But you hate him because he inadvertently put his mother through crap because he couldn't take any more of Kamoshida's abuse and obviously still feels guilty as hell over it?

Yeah. I look at what he's been through and I can't help but think; fuck this shithead, he deserves every bad thing that's ever happened to him.

Come on, it was obvious sarcasm!! At least it seemed that way from my perspective...

For my first Persona game it was the best game of the year for me. God the music, art style, transitions, and swagger this game has. Also, every character from the Phantom Thieves were very likable to me.

I am ashamed I was late to the party with the "You'll never see it coming" meme months ago. :(

I'm two thirds in and have no idea what the real story is at all and the only character I give a shit about is a talking cat so not what I expected. In P4G it was the opposite where I was gripped early on and only hated Teddie

Soured on it a bit as more time passes and I play more of the real bangers that came out this year. Storytelling and thematic structuring is just a fucking clusterfuck, honestly, and it seems even worse comparatively.

Still enjoyed it for what it was and don't regret any of the numerous hours I poured into it, but it's been knocked so far out of the running for GOTY that I'm half in disbelief that it was ever a consideration to begin with.

Opa-Pa

Fantastic game, probably the one I enjoyed the most so far in a year almost saturated with high quality stuff, which was surreal to me because near its release not only I thought it was going to be underwhelming, but I even questioned if modern Persona was even for me anymore (the answer is still tricky!).

It did have its share of flaws, I have huge issues with the writing, its handling of female characters (especially Ann), sexual minorities and that kind of stuff, which granted, they're common issues with the modern series, but in a game about social outcasts fighting for the oppressed, one that even has a sexual abuse arc... Yeah, pretty damn terrible.

Still, dungeon crawling was a treat, combat and dungeon gameplay in general is among the best in Megaten as a whole and presentation and music are fantastic, so to me it blows 3 and 4 out of the water and overall is the best in the series. Story did have a couple low points, but IMO so do all games in the series so it wasn't much of an issue to me.

Game had the best cast in the modern series in my eyes as well so I enjoyed that too. Except perhaps Morgana who gets pretty annoying and Haru, who... Uuh... Isn't much of a presence in the game I guess? Bur there's always a couple of duds in these casts, so whatever really.

But yeah, probably my GOTY all things considered.

Absolutely the fucking worst ever.

10/10.

P5 confidant abilities definitely spoiled me. It'll be hard to go back to just getting EXP bonuses whenever I go back to playing P3/P4.

Yeah. I look at what he's been through and I can't help but think; fuck this shithead, he deserves every bad thing that's ever happened to him.

Come on, it was obvious sarcasm!! At least it seemed that way from my perspective...
Oh, haha, I honestly thought you were serious. Sorry about that! Poe's Law strikes once again.

Grisby

Of two minds. I feel like it's a long journey that I'm still glad to have taken...but I gotta admit those bumps that I stumbled across are starting to turn into potholes in my memories.

Game is too long and the twist doesn't necessarily justify it for me. The cast isn't as endearing as P4's and they kind of waste the characters that they do have. Some feel forgotten as the journey goes on since they are introduced so early into the game and others are introduced so late that you don't have a whole lot of time for them to grow on you.

The palaces were nicer than random dungeons but they still felt too long.

There are a lot more problems that I had but I still liked it. It's just after playing p5 I might not be in line day 1 for Persona 6. Maybe I;d wait a couple of more months down the road or something.

Still, bring on P5DAN.

AXE

Even though I think it was way too long for its own good, and had mostly boring dungeons, somehow I really liked it. The music was ace.

Of course I can’t recommend it to anyone because of its monotonous length.

Griss

Thought I was the only one who felt this way. I'm definitely more likely to replay TMS than Persona 5, although I do love both.

Currently in Chapter 4 of TMS, enjoying it far more than Persona 5. It's such a fast-paced, breezy romp and the localisation is great. There are actually funny moments in this game, which is something you couldn't say about P5 and its limp attempts at humour.

AgeEighty

It quickly shot up the list to sit among my top 5 of all time, and that hasn't changed. One of the few games I've immediately launched a NG+ for after completing it, to the woe of my voluminous backlog. The soundtrack is incredible and the characters were pitch perfect for the most part.

I appreciated the aesthetic they were going for, but it felt like more of the same to me. I understand that Atlus is a smaller development studio than most, but it's rather boring that I've waited so long for a game that overstayed its welcome. The rat dungeon is incredibly infuriating and it coming right at the moment where the plot was truly beginning to pad itself out for an extended stay really highlighted my issues with the games pacing.

I'm tired of the silent protagonist narrative that drives these games as well. If you're going to make the protagonist silent, then go all the way and make it a character creator like the recent trend in Pokémon games.

random25

The game is good and I like it, don't get me wrong, but it really didn't "stick" with me that much. It felt that it just followed the Persona 4 template a little too much that battle system changes aside it didn't really have that wow factor I was expecting for the latest Persona game. Despite the flaws, Persona 3 still remains the best Persona game for me overall.

Top Bottom