• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

suracity

I asked this in another thread but:

im not sure if this falls on localization or cultural differences or what, but watching the quicklook, why is the main character
being treated like absolute shit and a heinous criminal for... SAVING A WOMEN FROM BEING RAPED
?

Is that actually explained?

thats like first hour spoilers, basically the premise btw, but I know some people are ultra sensitive to spoilers.

Yes there will be explanations later on.
Just continue.

Yu Narukami

What is going on in that translation thread lol? I have to say as English isn't my first language I'm not bothered about the translation errors. I'm probably not even seeing them.

bomblord1

Banned
What is going on in that translation thread lol? I have to say as English isn't my first language I'm not bothered about the translation errors. I'm probably not even seeing them.

I'm a native English speaker and outside of technicalities like haven't vs didn't I really don't see the issue either.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I sometimes see a weird line, but I think it's 100% part of the charm. I also wouldn't want them to be patched out.

An occasional stilted sentence is just Persona for me. I love that some of the prompts can be downright silly or overly wordy, it adds to the sometimes incredibly dry sense of humor the game has. I love it.

aravuus

Lmao brute-forced the second and hopefully final mini boss in the first dungeon. Kept rushing and retrying until I got lucky with crits and boss' misses.

The fact that allies respawn with 1hp at the end of a battle if they died is just... It's great. Couldn't gotten this far if it wasn't for that.

Hah, not even gonna check. If someone here already called the translation mucked up and extremely disappointing just because of some dumb cherry-picked lines they saw on twitter, the people there are probably unreachable.

Zakalwe

Banned
I prefer to play/watch the dub simply because I don't like to miss the nuances of animation/expression, glad to see (hear) it's good quality here.

Lyonaz

Got the Premium Edition delivered at my work.
It's torture to wait 2 more hours before I can go home and play this game.

Getting hyped!

george_us

Eh two of the examples used didn't bother me because it was spoken by one of the Velvet Room inhabitants. I'd expect them to have strange dialog like that. The rest are kind of valid but didn't really bother me. I remember P3 and P4 having similar occasional lines of weirdness.

gun_haver

well i waited until release day cos i thought i'd just buy this from a shop but it's sold out in town and seems to be pretty much sold out online too.

Geez, just started the game. The overscan is so bad I can barely see the UI and the button prompts. I hope they patch this like Square did with FFXV because it's really harming the experience. I don't get why so the overscan system settings on PS4 prove to be so useless for so many games.

Edit: fuck, even the subtitles are cut off. Whenever there are two lines, I can't see the second one at all...

aravuus

Oh geez, STILL gotta go outside once before I can finally finish this dungeon? Thank god I didn't wait until the next day to proceed and stubbornly pressed forward, cause wasting a day, then coming back for 5 minutes would've pissed me off.

gun_haver

Man, i really want to play the game but the ps3 version is nowhere available here in the Netherlands. Guess i gotta wait :/

yeah, it's frustrating. i doubt the game is selling THAT much, more that places just either aren't stocking it or only got a few copies in and those are all going.

ah well. i've been waiting on this game for years, i'll just put it out of my mind for the time being until it's possible to buy.

Quadraxis

yeah, it's frustrating. i doubt the game is selling THAT much, more that places just either aren't stocking it or only got a few copies in and those are all going.

ah well. i've been waiting on this game for years, i'll just put it out of my mind for the time being until it's possible to buy.

I actually contected nedgame about it and they said they will get the ps3 version this week, which would be an USA import version as they can't get a PAL version. Maybe that causes the delay?

edit: Thanks for the update, time to order that :D

Um..song spoilers from when you can leave at night.
when that track starts for the hundredth time and then those vocals unexpectedly come in, yooooooooo

im not sure if this falls on localization or cultural differences or what, but watching the quicklook, why is the main character
being treated like absolute shit and a heinous criminal for... SAVING A WOMEN FROM BEING RAPED
?

thats like first hour spoilers, basically the premise btw, but I know some people are ultra sensitive to spoilers.
Explained .

Mik317

fuck amazon and everyone who loves em.

took a day off for this game and suddenly my shit wont arrive until tomorrow.

went to bed with it totally still on track for today...but then I wake up and nope.

fucking hell man. so fucking pissed.

ANNNND NOW its "missing" in transit.

wtf. this is some clownshoes shit.

Third release day game they fucked up for me.

I am so butthurt right now lol.

MTC100

Banned

?

It's actually quite realistic how P5 handles it. The circumstance doesn't matter at all, people judge him for having a criminal record and having assaulted someone, there are also many ridiculous rumors about the MC, you can hear them when you listen in on what the other students chat about. That's how people are, you need to take everything you hear about someone with a grain of salt, not only in the world of Persona 5.

He also didn't "assault" anyone but someone very special and the one he wanted to protect probably testified against him too, out of fear I guess...

XaosWolf

Translation question:
Could anyone tell me what Morgana was saying (early game spoilers)
when shouting at the others to come back after he helps them the second time and they just bail?

Sounds like "Ne-i-wa" and he combines it as well as like "Ja-ne-i-wa" and "Maji-ne-i-wa"

Just curious as my google-fu is coming up empty.

?

I'm an expert on Japanese culture so I can explain this to you. The Japanese culture is big on honor and respect and the main character is considered to be unhonorable so adults treat him like shit. If you're an adult you're more likely to believe another adult.

Saphirax

Lmao brute-forced the second and hopefully final mini boss in the first dungeon. Kept rushing and retrying until I got lucky with crits and boss' misses.

The fact that allies respawn with 1hp at the end of a battle if they died is just... It's great. Couldn't gotten this far if it wasn't for that.

Hah, not even gonna check. If someone here already called the translation mucked up and extremely disappointing just because of some dumb cherry-picked lines they saw on twitter, the people there are probably unreachable.

Those 'dumb, cherry-picked lines' were pointed out by various Japanese/English translators who are currently playing the game and who aren't happy with how the translation was handled. And there's more than just a few of them.

If it doesn't bother you that's great, but there's really no need to be this defensive.

Jarmel

Banned
This is actually quite realistic how P5 handles it. The circumstance doesn't matter at all, people judge him for having a criminal record and having assaulted someone, there are also many ridiculous rumors about the MC, you can hear them when you listen in on what the other students chat about. That's how people are, you need to take everything you hear about someone with a grain of salt, not only in the world of Persona 5.

He also didn't "assault" anyone but someone very special and the one he wanted to protect likely testified against him too.
I think there's also a cultural divide in that Japan as a society places more emphasis on conformity so people like the protagonist, just for having an assault record no matfer the reasons, are considered outcasts and inconviences.

Yu Narukami

Those 'dumb, cherry-picked lines' were pointed out by various Japanese/English translators who are currently playing the game and who aren't happy with how the translation was handled. And there's more than just a few of them.

If it doesn't bother you that's great, but there's really no need to be this defensive.
Did any review mention this?

Zhao_Yun

My copy just arrived in my office. Can't wait to go home. I am a bit worried about reports of the Japanese Audio DLC being buggy though? Can anyone confirm those reports and tell me what exactly is buggy at the moment?

aravuus

That's fine. How does that translate to a mucked up and extremely disappointing translation again when literally the rest, like 99% of the translation is good, even great at times?

I'm not being particularly defensive, just calling out dumb hyperbole.

MTC100

Banned
I think there's also a cultural divide in that Japan as a society places more emphasis on conformity so people like the protagonist, just for having an assault record no matfer the reasons, are considered outcasts and inconviences.

True, I didn't think much about the cultural difference as it would be almost the same where I live, less because of honor but more because people are extra careful with strangers(What the MC is also on top of having that criminal record tag). -Plus you will have trouble finding any job with any kind of criminal record(most employers demand a leumund certificate) here.

Saphirax

Did any review mention this?

I haven't read any reviews, so I wouldn't know. I recall someone mentioning that the reviewers didn't mention anything about the lackluster translation though.

That's fine. How does that translate to a mucked up and extremely disappointing translation again when literally the rest, like 99% of the translation is good, even great at times?

I'm not being particularly defensive, just calling out dumb hyperbole.

But, it's not 99%, that's the problem. It's incredibly stilted - literally translated and with some grammatical mistakes, at least according to a bunch of people on twitter and in the other thread. If there were just a few instances of it happening I wouldn't have mentioned it. A lot of people, especially non-native speakers, won't notice or won't be bothered by it, but that doesn't mean that the translation as a whole couldn't have been a lot better. Don't get me wrong, the game isn't an incomprehensible mess, but this is Atlus and Persona we're talking about - I expected more.

Pachimari

Oh no, poor you.

I think the P5 steelbook is the best looking game case I ever owned. I'm not really a fan of steelbooks but damn.
I like the ordinary cover much more. But nobody's selling the ordinary cover.

Wait, there's an in-game countdown to an event? There wasn't such thing in P4G as I remember.

MTC100

Banned
Curse this game getting released mid week! I want to play all night but work exists :'(
Game has been fantastic so far my god

Hate this fact too, could only play it 5 hours yesterday and won't be able to play more than about 4 hours today either, as I have to get up early in the morning and have to work 'till 8pm today -.-

Gestahl

Translation question:
Could anyone tell me what Morgana was saying (early game spoilers)
when shouting at the others to come back after he helps them the second time and they just bail?

Sounds like "Ne-i-wa" and he combines it as well as like "Ja-ne-i-wa" and "Maji-ne-i-wa"

Just curious as my google-fu is coming up empty.

If I remember right he's basically screaming about how there's no reason for this to be happening or for them to be treating him like this. So like a No, this is not happening, This is seriously not happening kind of thing. The nei~ you're hearing is just a colloquial version of nai, the negative form of aru which can be used to express that something shouldn't be happening (often with the phrase koto wa), in addition to its plain negative meaning.

Setsu00

I like the ordinary cover much more. But nobody's selling the ordinary cover.

Wait, there's an in-game countdown to an event? There wasn't such thing in P4G as I remember.

There was.
Once the fog set in, the victim in the current dungeon died and you got a non-standard gameover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom