• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switched over to the English voice acting after playing in Japanese for a few hours last night. I am finding it much more enjoyable, knowing I can understand everything that is being said. Little things like passerby comments, announcements at the train station, even the quips from your main character when going into menus and stuff, that are all not subtitled. World feels more alive. Not to mention even a bunch of stuff in cutscenes isn't even subtitled wtf? Much better now for me, not knowing Japanese and all. Game is incredible so far.

aravuus

But, it's not 99%, that's the problem. It's incredibly stilted - literally translated and with some grammatical mistakes, at least according to a bunch of people on twitter and in the other thread. If there were just a few instances of it happening I wouldn't have mentioned it. A lot of people, especially non-native speakers, won't notice or won't be bothered by it, but that doesn't mean that the translation as a whole couldn't have been a lot better. Don't get me wrong, the game isn't an incomprehensible mess, but this is Atlus and Persona we're talking about - I expected more.

Maybe you should've said this earlier then, instead of the hyperbolic bs? Much more reasonable and grounded. I can agree that the translation could definitely be better, even as a non-native speaker I can easily spot the bad lines. It is a shame they exist, and hopefully they can be patched out later, but all the worthless shit-slinging in the world won't magically fix them.

As someone who actually has been playing the game for 10 hours now, I'll stand by my 99% comment, though, as ironic as that must sound to some after the hyperbole comment. From the.. I don't know, thousands? Of lines I've already read, I can probably count the clearly bad lines with my fingers. Maybe with fingers and toes.

So let's not forget that this place and twitter absolutely thrive on negativity and hyperbole and just chill. I wouldn't want anyone to skip such a great game because of an ultimately minor problem blown way out of proportions.

Raybunny

Oh god, did I seriously get one-shotted by the very first mini-boss of the first dungeon proper? Motherfucker didn't seem to even be weak to anything.

Well, at least I now know not to waste my SP on him.

Yeah he dies hit hard. He got a easy pattern on his special though.
2 power ups before its attack. I was level 10 or 11 on him and still 1 shot. Luckily the save point is beside it and I kept playing with rng not to waste too mush SP.

damn, don't have angel yet either, suggestions on that one?
I just created them.

Saphirax

Maybe you should've said this earlier then, instead of the hyperbolic bs? Much more reasonable and grounded. I can agree that the translation could definitely be better, even as a non-native speaker I can easily spot the bad lines. It is a shame they exist, and hopefully they can be patched out later, but all the worthless shit-slinging in the world won't magically fix them.

As someone who actually has been playing the game for 10 hours now, I'll stand by my 99% comment, though, as ironic as that must sound to some after the hyperbole comment. From the.. I don't know, thousands? Of lines I've already read, I can probably count the clearly bad lines with my fingers. Maybe with fingers and toes.

So let's not forget that this place and twitter absolutely thrive on negativity and hyperbole and just chill. I wouldn't want anyone to skip such a great game because of an ultimately minor problem blown way out of proportions.

I didn't say anything hyperbolic. I said that Atlus messed up the translation and that I found it extremely disappointing, especially since one of the reasons for the delay was so that they could spruce up the localization.

Rnr1224

hope USPS gets this to me today. Its all estimated to be delivered today but the last update is that it arrived at the local Post Office. No out for delivery quite yet.

BTA

Yo, just dropping in to warn people in here that there's a bot on twitter posting Persona spoilers. Its username is a spoiler, as well as its profile description and tweets, so if you want to block it, just be careful. The account is @Sargon_of_ABDL

To be clear, this bot isn't just tweeting spoilers, it's tweeting them at people who talk about the game.

But be very careful blocking it. They were, uh, "smart" about this, because their display name is also a spoiler. Though I managed to block them without seeing it, on the way out I didn't cover enough of my phone with my hand and caught it. It's something I might have eventually put together early from a few vague reactions I saw of people playing the JP release, but it does seem like an important thing and: that sucks.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
it's so hard to decide how to spend each day/night. anyone have any advice? what are more important stats to raise? theres so much to do, I don't know whats wasting my time or not at this point.

also, just got my 5th party member, but so torn deciding who to leave out. I'm growing too attached already. what are peoples advice for determining who to keep leveling throughout the game? or should I always have an equal rotation keeping everyone at hte same level?

Platypus

Are you supposed to unlock the ability to take cover? I'm pretty early on and I've noticed that I can't take cover behind walls and furniture like in the footage I've seen.

Shikoba

Played for a few hours in last night. Sooooooooo good. The Music! How ridiculously stylish everything is! Looking forward to playing more tonight after work.

nOoblet16

I am absolutely loving the presentation in this game it's so slick with bold colours and has amazing music.

Although I do have two issues with the game:
1) The screen is extremely cluttered with HUGE texts, character portaits and stuff, and has that weird vignette like filters as well that take up way too much space.

2) Person games are like a generation behind graphically and have always been. The last games were basically PS2 games released during PS3 era and uprezzed for PS3. This one is basically a PS3 game uprezzed for PS4. But I don't see any benefits at all apart from higher resolution. It's still 30FPS, uses same assets and the textures are low quality. Some of it is important because for instance early in the game I was trying to find something just by looking at the sign posts but they were so low res that I could barely read anything at all. Don't get me wrong it still looks great but it could look so much better and if not then at least run at 60FPS which would make it feel better. I didn't mind Yakuza 0 looking the same because it ran at 60FPS.

Also not being able to take screenshots sucks ass...why did Atlus do this?

XaosWolf

If I remember right he's basically screaming about how there's no reason for this to be happening or for them to be treating him like this. So like a No, this is not happening, This is seriously not happening kind of thing. The nei~ you're hearing is just a colloquial version of nai, the negative form of aru which can be used to express that something shouldn't be happening (often with the phrase koto wa), in addition to its plain negative meaning.

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense now. =)

ZangBa

It's a.. weird addition, one I definitely never expected from Persona. At least it doesn't slow you to a crawl when you activate it though.

Yeah, at least here's that. I just hate it because now it's like, well, why wouldn't I keep spamming it? And I hate that feeling. One of the worst mechanics used in games.

nOoblet16

English Dub is quite good. They sometimes butch the jap names but nothing I am not used to.
I hate it when dubs insist on retaining Japanese titles and such just say Mr. or Miss it's a dub ffs!

It sounds odd when I hear someone say -San, -Kun either an American accent.

suracity

it's so hard to decide how to spend each day/night. anyone have any advice? what are more important stats to raise? theres so much to do, I don't know whats wasting my time or not at this point.

also, just got my 5th party member, but so torn deciding who to leave out. I'm growing too attached already. what are peoples advice for determining who to keep leveling throughout the game? or should I always have an equal rotation keeping everyone at hte same level?
raise the social link with mishima, your admin of the fan site. His speciality is cheerleader and give non-combat companion experience. From my experience it's better to keep everyone on speed because enemies' weakness varies a lot and you need everyone ready for the situation.

aravuus

First dungeon boss down.

That was ridiculously easy compared to the actual dungeon. The way you finally tackle the boss (
leave calling card which, for no reason whatsoever, wastes THAT day and FINALLY attacking the next day which is also wasted
) was just stupid, but at least I did it in the minimum amount of days.

Yeah, at least here's that. I just hate it because now it's like, well, why wouldn't I keep spamming it? And I hate that feeling. One of the worst mechanics used in games.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, it's awful, but it's at least somewhat tolerable here compared to, say, Witcher 3.

Man, Yusuke sure was
channeling his inner JoJo just after he received his persona. That were some fabulous poses. It helps that he's voiced by Joseph Joestar's japanese voiceactor lol.
(very slight character spoiler from when he first joins your party)

Raybunny

I hate it when dubs insist on retaining Japanese titles and such just say Mr. or Miss it's a dub ffs!

Do have to agree with you on that. Have you tried the jap Dub? Might be a solution for that hiccup even though quite extreme.

mike6467

Somehow after citing mechanical issues with their trucks and stating that the delivery date was "pending", Amazon came through and apparently my TYH edition will be here later today. I can't say I regret going out and getting the steelbook edition last night, I got a good 5 hours in and it was cool to feel like I was part of the beginning as odd as that sounds. I guess I'll list it on Craigslist and try to recover some of that money now. Can't wait to see the TYH edition!

Normally, I'd totally agree. However, for Persona it works for me. It's so specifically about Japan and Japanese culture that I want as many little touches of Japanese culture as possible.

nOoblet16

It's puzzling how main character doesn't have voice acted lines, he's not really a silent protagonist as he speaks to everyone but it's just in text. What makes it even more odd is that he will have a short voice line every once in a while and he has lines at the end of battles too.

I don't get why they went with his half added middle ground instead of either going fully silent or fully voices and not just grunts.

nOoblet16

Normally, I'd totally agree. However, for Persona it works for me. It's so specifically about Japan and Japanese culture that I want as many little touches of Japanese culture as possible.
Well you do have the japanese voice overs if you want that if you want authenticity. It just reminds me of terrible anime voice overs from back in the daywith I the generic American accent you found in anime (I don't know how to explain it but it seems like everyone had this particular accent and then tried to match the tone of the japanese voices using that accent and that rubved me the wrong way). It's not really the quality of voice acting as it is quite fine these day but so long as they don't use Japanese titles and such I am ok with it.

Speaking if which, how can I change the language ?

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member
Please tell me I'm not the only one amazon swears they'll get my tyh Edition today and haven't shipped it

I'm in the same boat. There are no tracking details whatsoever. But it says it will be delivered today. Talked to a customer service rep in chat, and they gave me an shipment ID stating it was being prepared to be shipped out today...

I don't think it's coming today...

Sitting here in the car at BB. It's a rainy day, but a beautiful day at the same time.

X7RDBml.jpg

Edit: There's actually people lined up. Are they here for P5 or Rouge One?

Rouge One.

cripterion

Praise the lord, deleting and re downloading everything did the trick in order to fix the Japanese VA bug.

I can finally enjoy the game.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Praise the lord, deleting and re downloading everything did the trick in order to fix the Japanese VA bug.

I can finally enjoy the game.

Glad to hear it worked. Enjoy it, the Japanese VA is outstanding.

Delio

I'm in the same boat. There are no tracking details whatsoever. But it says it will be delivered today. Talked to a customer service rep in chat, and they gave me an shipment ID stating it was being prepared to be shipped out today...

I don't think it's coming today...

Mine finally shipped earlier it now says I'm getting it tomorrow. It sucks since from the tracking my game is already in my city.

cripterion

Glad to hear it worked. Enjoy it, the Japanese VA is outstanding.

I finally have a smile on my face while playing it! Man you have no idea how I was disappointed when the audio bugged out in me this morning. Still 2GB away from finishing the complete download but it is working now and it's good!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom