• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Dad

I don't give a damn. Got a PSN copy and a Take Your Heart Copy afterwards. IMO? The best game of all time. Straight up. Better than OOT. Better than RE4. And I ordered that copy AFTER the hate! I just don't care.
Very brave thing to say. Stay strong

Kireek

Yeah I've seen nothing but critical acclaim from the vast majority. Not sure where you're getting this "meh" reaction from.

Opa-Pa

I'm absolutely in love with this game, it's one of my favorites of all time but the translation is definitely bottom tier, it's just hard to tell if you're not paying attention (or english isn't your native language, like in my case) because it's competent enough to be comprehensible 90% of the time.

Just refer to the most recent thread on the matter. It's basically fansubbed anime quality, pretty damn abysmal compared to 3, 4, or just about any other Atlus game really. And it's a shame because it deserves so much better.

FluxWaveZ

Something I never really got was how Futaba refers to Yusuke as "Inari." Based on how he's referred to by that name by others sometimes, it seems it's supposed to be belittling somehow, but all I got was that it's another term for "Fox"? Didn't make much sense to me.

Rest this thread. And the spoiler thread if you are finished. Critic reviews =/= the popular opinion. See Skyrim, Dark Souls III, Dragon Age Inquisition, etc.

I would have loved to see the Persona 4 Spoiler Thread. My god was that ending painful as fuck. 3 is the reining champ for actually ending with an actual, plot makes sense, ending. Can't wait to see the end of this though.

Opa-Pa

It surely would suck if this game doesn't at least get as popular as P4, because it's so much superior to the other two that it'd physically hurt me if that were the case.

Then again there's a ton of newcomers playing this as their first so I'm expecting it to at least be widely considered a great game.

Something I never really got was how Futaba refers to Yusuke as "Inari." Based on how he's referred to by that name by others sometimes, it seems it's supposed to be belittling somehow, but all I got was that it's another term for "Fox"? Didn't make much sense to me.

I think Inari is some japanese fox deity? Doesn't make much sense as a belittling nickname, but considering Futaba's nature, I can see her trying to piss off Yusuke with something as simple as calling him by the wrong code name.

Guess Who

Banned

I feel like there was some conversation where it was spelled out exactly what "Inari" means, but hell if I remember.

FluxWaveZ

It surely would suck if this game doesn't at least get as popular as P4, because it's so much superior to the other two that it'd physically hurt me if that were the case.

Persona 5's already shipped and likely sold more copies than Persona 4 (including Golden) ever did, so not too sure there's any danger of that.

I think Inari is some japanese fox deity? Doesn't make much sense as a belittling nickname, but considering Futaba's nature, I can see her trying to piss off Yusuke with something as simple as calling him by the wrong code name.

I guess that could make sense... if that was the case, they probably could have come up with something better in English, though. Like, (intro spoilers, I guess)
the first thing Ryuji says to Yusuke in the game is something like "No one asked you, Inari!" in response to Yusuke insulting him.
I dunno, something like "Puppy" could have worked.

I feel like there was some conversation where it was spelled out exactly what "Inari" means, but hell if I remember.

There was the first time Futaba refers to him as that, but I think it really was just her saying "It's another name for fox in Japanese." Felt like there was a missing connotation, even then.

Yes I believe it is a spirit of the foxes.

Edit: Here ya go. Full name is Inari Okami. Interesting ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inari_Ōkami

Toki767

I think foxes are seen as mischievous creatures in Japanese lore so when
Yusuke messed with Futaba's figures
she calls him that as her way of getting back at him.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Inari isn't so much demeaning on its own as it is like something of a pet name. He already has his much cooler codename Fox, so giving him a pet name is supposed to take some of the glory of that away and make him out to be more harmless and/or weird in a way

Opa-Pa

"*giggle* You're so dependable!" "I really enjoy the time we spend together!"

Haru please chill, we're only rank 3. Save some of that thirst for when I eventually reject you.

Inari isn't so much demeaning on its own as it is like something of a pet name. He already has his much cooler codename Fox, so giving him a pet name is supposed to take some of the glory of that away and make him out to be more harmless and/or weird in a way

Ah that makes more sense. Pretty hilarious too lol, it fits because he seems to get slightly frustrated when people get his code name wrong, I remember M
akoto
's first reaction to his costume is "A canine?!" to which he replies "It's 'Fox'... :("

Sami+

Yeah I've seen nothing but critical acclaim from the vast majority. Not sure where you're getting this "meh" reaction from.

I think it being hotly anticipated by a lot of passionate fans makes way for criticisms being misunderstood for hate. I've definitely got stuff that's bothering me. I think it feels "old" due to the abundance of loading screens, basic character models and environments, and really stiff animation. I think the translation is bad. I think the script is a little bit too on the nose, and after NieR Automata I wish it was a little bit more subtle with its dialogue and imagery.

And yet despite all that I'm having a blast and keep wanting to play it whenever I'm not. I can't put it down, it's so good. I just already had high expectations because I loved P3 and P4 already.

Aenima

Inari is a japanese fox god. If my memory dont fail, In her room, Futaba tell his mask looks like a Inari, and starts calling him that.

kyoto-foxes-1071.jpg

Mediking

I've bought all the costume DLC so far (go ahead and laugh but I don't mind) and lemme tell ya.... the gang looks awesome in the Karukozaka High outfits. That blue looks great!

Yasogami outfits also look super good too.

I've bought all the costume DLC so far (go ahead and laugh but I don't mind) and lemme tell ya.... the gang looks awesome in the Karukozaka High outfits. That blue looks great!

Yasogami outfits also look super good too.

I think I'm going to have to get the Catherine DLC, but Persona 3 will be real tempting too.

Kireek

I bought the Yasogami uniforms but was disappointed that the battle theme wasn't Reach Out To The Truth. I'll definitely grab the Catherine costumes for my NG+ run

Mumei

Are there doors in Palaces that you simply cannot open? I'm on the second Palace and feeling quite dumb about not being able to find a way to see what's behind this door in
the Treasure Hall
. :x

silva1991

Are there doors in Palaces that you simply cannot open? I'm on the second Palace and feeling quite dumb about not being able to find a way to see what's behind this door in
the Treasure Hall
. :x

If door is on the map and it's not yellow or doesn't have that "locked" icon, then you can't open it.

Mediking

I think I'm going to have to get the Catherine DLC, but Persona 3 will be real tempting too.

Persona 3 FES is my favorite in the series (actually Persona 5 is quickly dethroning that) but the cast doesn't look that good in the P3 costumes.

I bought the Yasogami uniforms but was disappointed that the battle theme wasn't Reach Out To The Truth. I'll definitely grab the Catherine costumes for my NG+ run

Lol I know right? Almost as if Atlus trolled with the P4 battle music in P5. Literally everybody looks good in the Yasogami uniforms.

Mediking

Gotta admit... even I rolled my eyes in annoyance when Morgana won't even let you do stuff in your room because of a story event before bed. Like really? Can't I train or make a freaking lockpick? No?

I understand it as a gameplay mechanic because you're tired after doing Mementos and Palaces. But because of story events? Oh not fair. At least let us do something in our room.

Top Bottom