• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

You can do it after that palace; 12/8 and 12/9 are also flu season days.

Eh, I realized I'm past that too. I wanted to do a lot of Confidant leveling before that palace so I waited to enter it until later. Would have acted differently if I had known at the time
that it wasn't the end of the game.

Opa-Pa

Would you recommend against it? Even to make the acquisition of late game Persona's easier? And to have more options with my team's Personas? I guess I really don't like the aspect of Persona where you can't really clean up shop in the end like other RPGs. I would love to have an appropriate challenge should I choose to level to 99 and fuse a bunch of crazy Personas. Doesn't sound like that's a thing this time around.

Honestly? Yeah. If you're only looking to make a couple higher level personas to have more options, it's definitely viable with just the strength confidant and the money you can make from negotiations in the last area (I got 300k in like 15 minutes). I call the final boss easy but it was still kind of fun at level 80, and I was able to make an awesome Satan and Vishnu.

Exp is great too, I started the final day at level 65 and finished the game at 80.

I agree though, I loved how in SMT4 Apocalypse you HAD to make it past level 99 to stand a chance against the final boss on hard, and could reach those levels without grinding. I mean damn, I was level 110 and still had some trouble.

BouncyFrag

The game gets pretty bad
Palace 7 onwards...

I went from loving the game to just wanting to finish it ASAP.

The battles get too difficult, too tedious and too long near the end.

I am very close to the end
and I lost to the final angel guardian. Making me lose an hour of grinding. I lost it and switched the game to safe mode. I just want to finish it.

Are you supposed to grind the game to death to finish it ?!

I was level 73 and didn't get close to winning the fight.

Or maybe I just suck at the game.
The exact same thing happened to me last night and was really frustrated. I'll have at it again tonight and will be more wary.
Getting to the newly discovered big bad is overstaying its welcome but I will appreciate when I finally take him down

mrmickfran

Finally finished my playthrough.

108 hours
All but 3 S Links maxed (Tower (8), Hanged (6) and Devil (4)). Not bad for my first playthrough.

Overall thoughts? Loved it, loved it, loved it. Fantastic evolution of the battle system, Meguro went all out with the soundtrack, and the story actually had some pretty good twists. Especially the
__Igor__
twist and how the game alluded to it.

Now I have to decide whether to choose this or Zelda for goty.

I'll give it some time before I start another playthrough for the Platinum tho, kinda burnt out. Now to finally start Nier.

Summer holiday advice needed - is it in my best interests to hang out with team members as much as possible when they invite themselves over to the cafe?

Kyuur

Finished the
4th
Palace. The beginning/middle of the arc was great and the dungeon was fantastic but boy that ending dragged.
Also the psience stuff is a little corny.

Summer holiday advice needed - is it in my best interests to hang out with team members as much as possible when they invite themselves over to the cafe?

They're good if you want to boost the person's affection or whatever allows you to raise their confidant level and get a particular social stat boost at the same time (you can check what this is before hanging with em). The cutscenes are pretty meh compared to going out when asked.

Balphon

Only if you think you need or will need the confidant points. The scenes themselves aren't all that remarkable.

They're pretty efficient since you get points for the confidant and social stats, but if the confidant points are going to waste (because the confidant is maxed or will max without them) it's essentially just an inconvenient source of social stats.

Extending it to include your night action seems to only ever result in more confidant points and thus is probably always a bad idea.

Griss

Depends. If you haven't maxed out your social stats nor the confidant, then it's usually a good idea. You get 3 points for both the confidant and the social stat. Usually it takes one section of time to get either of those two things, so getting both at once is efficient.

Don't bother hanging out at night, though, unless you really need the confidant points.

Is Flu Season really just that brief period in November? I really wanted to do it after beating the
7th
Palace because I didn't want to throw off the balance of the game too early but I'd love to do it before the endgame after I've completed that palace.

There are two days in November and two in december.

Edit: the December days are
12/8 and 12/9,
so plan accordingly

Weebos

Banned
Confidant points don't carry over to the next level, right?

If Ryuji is already eligible for a rank up and then invites me fishing, if I go fishing with him those confidant points are wasted, right?

I believe that is how it worked in Persona 4, I am curious if it is still the same.

I haven't followed what they've been doing. What's the issue with them?

That vinyl collection is really tempting...

same here. I just say the news about the soundtrack collection.

I only have a passing familiarity with the drama, but they are pretty notorious for not delivering on their products until long after their promised release. I forget the specific stuff where this was a problem. Maybe Hyper Light Drifter or No Man's Sky or something?

Ferrio

Banned

If Ryuji is already eligible for a rank up and then invites me fishing, if I go fishing with him those confidant points are wasted, right?

I believe that is how it worked in Persona 4, I am curious if it is still the same.

From what I noticed I believe they carry over, I could be wrong.

Opa-Pa

They definitely carry over.

This makes even spending time with Sojiro back when his SL is blocked by plot not a complete waste of time, technically.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I haven't followed what they've been doing. What's the issue with them?

That vinyl collection is really tempting...

same here. I just say the news about the soundtrack collection.

I only have a passing familiarity with the drama, but they are pretty notorious for not delivering on their products until long after their promised release. I forget the specific stuff where this was a problem. Maybe Hyper Light Drifter or No Man's Sky or something?

See here

And here

And here

Finally here

I hate to be so crass, but delays, shoddy products, and overall ineptness make them a solid 'stay away' for me. YMMV, I guess.

Guess Who

Banned
Lyn's vocal range probably doesn't go that high. They probably had to change the key to something a few steps lower in order for her to sing it comfortably.

See also: the instrumental version of Last Surprise used in the PV#2 trailer was also in a higher key that they lowered for the vocal version.

Ramma2

Newbie question for you all, if I spend time with a confidant when it says my bond will not increase, is that still progress towards the next level up? Like are there points that you have to earn between the levels, or does it automatically just level up at some predetermined date?

RalchAC

So in my NG+ I've just finished the first Palace. I'm playing on Hard, not using overpowered Personas and focusing in filling the spots I left empty in the compendium.

And, after doing again the first dungeon, I can't help but have this impression: I think that pressing R1 and moving between Safe Rooms wasn't implemented until much later in the development.

The dungeon is full of shortcuts, and there are various locked doors that can be opened in order to get faster to the dungeon. Furthermore, the game talks about "securing a route". It'd make much more sense if the Safe Room thing wasn't available and you actually needed to discover the shortest way possible to the Treasure.

The 99% change is... well, completely useless if you pop up in a Treasure Room that's an empty corridot away to the Treasure. The item that reduces the Security Level only feels truly useful here too. And the soundtrack change for 20 seconds of running feels a bit strange.

Lyn's vocal range probably doesn't go that high. They probably had to change the key to something a few steps lower in order for her to sing it comfortably.

I liked both version to be honest.

See also: the instrumental version of Last Surprise used in the PV#2 trailer was also in a higher key that they lowered for the vocal version.

They should have hired Lady Gaga then :/

Honestly I think I would have better luck trying to track down a used copy of the apparently rare/hard to get only-in-Japan Persona 4: Dancing All Night soundtrack vinyl than ordering from iam8bit, given all the issues they've had in the past. They basically sound like the Digital River of videogame vinyl.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh I had the SMT4 outfit on the whole time I was in palace 4. Maybe that's why I didn't like the music.

:S

vypek

Newbie question for you all, if I spend time with a confidant when it says my bond will not increase, is that still progress towards the next level up? Like are there points that you have to earn between the levels, or does it automatically just level up at some predetermined date?

As far as I know that time with them still progresses them. I think points will still appear when you spend time with them and there is no dialogue options and that goes towards their confidant rank. Even using the correct persona when spending time you'll have to spend time with them to work towards a rank up. Except certain people where the rank is automatic or levels up every time you are together

Yes, there are certain amount of points needed between each Confidant level up. Usually, you can get enough by acting correctly at each level up event, but sometimes you need additional points in-between level ups. Spending time is the most direct way to get points (increased by having the correct Persona, and giving them gifts if the option is available), but there are some other ways as well.

As far as I know that time with them still progresses them. I think points will still appear when you spend time with them and there is no dialogue options and that goes towards their confidant rank. Even using the correct persona when spending time you'll have to spend time with them to work towards a rank up. Except certain people where the rank is automatic or levels up every time you are together

Yup, spending time with confidants even when it says "I don't feel like my bond will deepen" advances your relationship, so that the next time you might be able to deepen the bond. Any time you get the blue musical notes over someone's head, that's points that go toward your relationship score. I don't know exactly how many points you get for each hangout, or how it's affected by what you do (i.e. holding a persona of the correct arcana, taking them to a different location, giving them a present they don't like/like/love), but it definitely helps.

You won't get the ability to spend time with confidants that are automatic or advance every time you see them; every time you see them will be a rank up regardless of what you do. The ones that aren't obvious for this are Moon and Sun.

Dark_castle

So in my NG+ I've just finished the first Palace. I'm playing on Hard, not using overpowered Personas and focusing in filling the spots I left empty in the compendium.

And, after doing again the first dungeon, I can't help but have this impression: I think that pressing R1 and moving between Safe Rooms wasn't implemented until much later in the development.

The dungeon is full of shortcuts, and there are various locked doors that can be opened in order to get faster to the dungeon. Furthermore, the game talks about "securing a route". It'd make much more sense if the Safe Room thing wasn't available and you actually needed to discover the shortest way possible to the Treasure.

The 99% change is... well, completely useless if you pop up in a Treasure Room that's an empty corridot away to the Treasure. The item that reduces the Security Level only feels truly useful here too. And the soundtrack change for 20 seconds of running feels a bit strange.
You're completely right. I think what they should have done is make each palaces smaller but instead designed so that the areas are all interconnected so that you can move around unlocking shortcuts Souls style. Party is given a limited item (maybe 2 or 3 per dungeon) that lets you create a "save spot" that saves your progress and respawn you from that specific location. You decide where to strategically place the save spots. Each time you leave the palace, the save spots are gone and you have to infiltrate the palace from beginning again, but this time with shortcuts unlocked for much quicker heist. It forces you to learn the layout of the palace and where the enemies are, and it also makes the 99% alertness more tense because you do have to go through the palace and face the higher dangers around.

Cess007

Until Palace
where they replace the cool ripping guitar with that one lady's off-key voice and totally ruin it.

What? Nooo :(

Well, I gotta hear it first to give my opinion, but I see no reason why they should change it. It's an awesome feeling whe you enter the palace and the music starts

Edit. Wait, you mean the vocal version of Life Will Change? If that so, I think that song is pretty good, I like with lyrics!

Splinter

Are the items you steak from palaces solely for selling? Do they have any use at all in game apart from selling to get extra money? I'm towards the end of the first palace and I just sold a bunch of broken shields, pearls, onyx, etc to the weapons dealer. Did I make a mistake?

Also is it worth it to upgrade my melee weapons at this point in the game? What about armor and accessories? I'd like to get something that increases my SP

DONE. 96:10 hours on Normal mode, maxed all Confidants and Stats, maybe two game overs? Probably my favourite game ever, but the length of the dungeons could have been shorter.

PK Gaming

Are the items you steak from palaces solely for selling? Do they have any use at all in game apart from selling to get extra money? I'm towards the end of the first palace and I just sold a bunch of broken shields, pearls, onyx, etc to the weapons dealer. Did I make a mistake?

Also is it worth it to upgrade my melee weapons at this point in the game? What about armor and accessories? I'd like to get something that increases my SP

1) Yes
2) No
3) No
4) Not really, but you'll want to at some point. In terms of importance Armor > Guns > Weapons > Accessories

Generally, the only accessory you want to buy are the SP increasing ones from the Doctor Confidant (once she sells them at 50% price)

daveo42

Banned
I'd put Weapons above Guns tbh. I believe higher attack influences damage output during All-Out-Attacks, as well as help boost physical attacks. Gun is there to hit a weakness and that's about it unless it's a persona skill.

See here

And here

And here

Finally here

I hate to be so crass, but delays, shoddy products, and overall ineptness make them a solid 'stay away' for me. YMMV, I guess.

Thanks for posting this. Was talking about this in another thread and how you should probably avoid anything coming from Iam8bit. Really sucks they have a lock on a lot of exclusive video game merch and content when their service is abysmal all around.

Sell everything you find in destructibles, they have no other use.

I find melee weapons are the most important thing to upgrade.

If you want to get an accessory to replenish your SP you need to do some work on a Confidant. Spoilers for more info:
Once you raise Death to level 5 or so you can buy an "SP Adhessive 3" for 100k, which replenishes 7 SP per turn. However it is very strongly recommended that you rank Death up to 7 since then you can buy accessories for half off.

Splinter

I have ¥13,000 before Kamoshidas boss fight, should I purchase some SP increasing accessories for ¥5,000(+10sp) or a melee weapon like the Kurki ¥3,600 with 68 attack?

Or just save my money until further into the game?

All for my main character.

I have ¥13,000 before Kamoshidas boss fight, should I purchase some SP increasing accessories for ¥5,000(+10sp) or a melee weapon like the Kurki ¥3,600 with 68 attack?

Or just save my money until further into the game?

All for my main character.

You don't need a ton of SP for the boss fight so I'd say go with the weapon. You'll be all-out attacking a lot and while you'll be using a lot of SP, +10 won't be the difference between running dry and having extra.

Top Bottom