• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Mailbox

I think some peoples problems with the game is that while its written better as a overall story it changes how it was written compared to past games, in that unlike the other persona games the overall story took precedent over the cast.....like most people couldn't care less about an end of the world situation story anymore because of how trope it is...but with P3/4 they had the characters surrounding it that made that event more meaningful.

Like how in P3 when END SPOILERS
P3 protag sacrifices himself for the world
you care more about that event because of why it happens and the characters surrounding it...or like with P4 where the murders affected each character which kept them directly tied to the overall story, so the characters development meant that it was an overall story development also.

With P5 you get what they aimmed for which is small stories that eventually tie together but not directly. Ryuji/Ann have no reason to care overall about reforming society beyond "Phantom thieves" where Yosuke/Chie for example have more reason to care the ongoing murders.

Personally I think the game just needs more Personal time with characters for a persona game.

I don't nessisarilly agree to all that:

(End game spoilers for persona 3,4 and 5)
W/ P5, yeah the finale is more rushed (because it fits w/ the goings on of "shit we're gonna be imprisoned if we don't fix shit") so I would have liked a bit more time "take it all in" before the final decent.

that said, wrt Ann and Ryuji, they may have the best reasons to keep up with the whole sociatal reform. Heck all the characters do, as is stated when you break them out of their cells. w/ Ryuji and Ann, its more about how they don't want others to go through what they did, which while not as interesting as personal vandetta, is still enticing enough to be understandable.

That being said, the last movement of the game, the decent into the depths of mementos, isn't one of "selflessness" initially. They do it because otherwise they are screwed in full. Reform society, or go to prison (and everything they have been doing would be for nothing) end of story. Hence why the decent into mementos felt like a very personal thing, selfish even to an extent. I do agree however, that P4 had better "reasoning" towards party member's continued motivation (though i don't think that makes P5's in anyway bad)

That said, i completely disagree w/ your P3 comparison. The P3 protagonist, to me, felt like a cutout that could have or couldn't have been in the plot and not much would have happened (since, P5's MC feels more like an actualized character, this isn't the case in P5), making the ending sacrifice mean only as much as the side characters i've grown towards (and as such, only really caring about SEES since most all the social links are pretty crap). The reason the final tartarus ascension works as well as it does is because of how much time it gives the player in order to prep and internalize it happening (ie: imminent death). P5's rush at the end serves as a "we were in over our head" kind of rush feeling rather than a the lamenting feeling that P3 gave. Its 2 very different feeling,
and as such are hard to compare. I do think that the way the final fight ended is better than that of P4, since Satanael's entrance and usage felt more cohesive than the use of Izanagi-no-okami

I do think that if they added about half a month to the game to give us a small bit of breathing room before the final dungeon, then it would have felt better, but oh well.

At least, thats my opinion

Dugna

That's a good thing. The P5 cast has a level dynamism that P4 never had, and it's far more natural as well.

if the story is written with the overall theme in mind being "reform society" and your characters inside said story don't care to reform parts of it, that makes people care less for it overall. Which leads to the problem I stated in the first place, people will not like this game and feel its not persona like at all because of it, it sacrfices the personal moments for the overall story which is to much like other JRPGs, theres a reason Persona stands out from the other JRPGs and its not its combat.

RDreamer

-i can't find the boss, or the 'heart', i thought that's what i was looking for
-and yes, managing hp and sp is becoming frustrating and difficult

in previous games similar to this, dungeon crawilers with a leveling system, i was used to my characters getting their stats replenished when leveling up, and their sp being returned when guarding. neither seems to be the case for persona,

and i'm gonna need a lot, a lot, a lot of items if that's the only that can replenish me.

also yeah, maybe at this time i'm not prepared for the boss? everything is happening so fast and i've been playing most of this on remote play on old hardware which makes the gameplay even more difficult

SP replenishment can become a joke really quickly in the game. Just level the death confidant as quickly as you can and get half off SP replenish accessories. Then you get SP per turn.

Part of the strategy of the game though is obviously taking into account your SP levels and not going heavy on the magic if you don't need toe specially in the first 2 dungeons. Attack when you can.

Opa-Pa

in previous games similar to this, dungeon crawilers with a leveling system, i was used to my characters getting their stats replenished when leveling up, and their sp being returned when guarding. neither seems to be the case for persona,

and i'm gonna need a lot, a lot, a lot of items if that's the only that can replenish me.

also yeah, maybe at this time i'm not prepared for the boss? everything is happening so fast and i've been playing most of this on remote play on old hardware which makes the gameplay even more difficult

Take it easy, the limited SP is there as a mechanic to encourage you to approach palaces in multiple expeditions instead of trying to beat them in one go. That integrates SP management during battles as something else to take into consideration. You can however bypass this later with specific accessories.

As for the palace, well, you're aiming to get to the top of it basically. Not sure what else to say because I'm not sure at what point of it you're right now, but note that you won't be facing the boss the same day you reach the treasure room. The game will make you go back to the real world and tackle it the next day.

Mailbox

if the story is written with the overall theme in mind being "reform society" and your characters inside said story don't care to reform parts of it, that makes people care less for it overall. Which leads to the problem I stated in the first place, people will not like this game and feel its not persona like at all because of it, it sacrfices the personal moments for the overall story which is to much like other JRPGs, theres a reason Persona stands out from the other JRPGs and its not its combat.

D-did we play the same game?

The game has a LOT of personal time w/ the characters (interwoven w/ texting and chatter and social links) It sure as hell has much much more personal time and look into characters than Persona 3 does, and i'd argue that the dynamics and constant questioning of actions is better than Persona 4's interactions.

Persona 5 is very very different from either and thats apparent from minute 1 when you are treated like a piece of shit burden and everyone is making shitty rumours about you.

what your saying about "being persona" only stems from persona's 3 and 4. 1 and 2 are way way way different , and i'd agrue that persona 5 is more of a mishmash of all of the game's character handlings (at least somewhat).

Honestly while playing Persona 5 i was often reminded of Persona 4 and 3. Some things I felt were done better in those games, some things i felt were done better here. either way its very very much "Persona" whether you think so or not.

You're not making any sense. To start, the game's theme isn't "to reform" society, but rather it has several themes, with the most important one being
you don't need to be a Phantom Thief to enact social change. As long as you have resolve and the support of others, you can make a difference
Second, the characters try reform society as best they can, opting to enact social reform by chasing after corrupt individuals. They eventually (October spoilers)
lose sight of this in a realistic way, but their resolve returns in the end.

That to me, is far more interesting than Persona 4's relatively static "find the killer, save the town approach. And the game is rife with personal moments, just like any other Persona game.

Also, this. 100% agreed

PK Gaming

You're not making any sense. To start, the game's theme isn't "to reform" society, but rather it has several themes, with the most important one being
you don't need to be a Phantom Thief to enact social change. As long as you have resolve and the support of others, you can make a difference
Second, the characters try reform society as best they can, opting to enact social reform by chasing after corrupt individuals. They eventually (October spoilers)

That to me, is far more interesting than Persona 4's relatively static "find the killer, save the town approach. And the game is rife with personal moments, just like any other Persona game.

Hp/sp management is difficult early on so don't worry too much about that. Just get to the farthest safe room you can before you exhaust your resources and at that point just leave the dungeon and come back the next day so you can replenish your stuff. Some of the sodas in vending machines around town also sell sp recovery items.
Don't worry about trying to finish every dungeon on the first day they're available either. It's worth missing a little bit of free time to avoid banging your head against a wall.
Also general advice is to frequently be fusing new personas that are strong against the elements enemies in the palace are using or ones that can exploit enemies weaknesses.
You'll get there eventually, and if need be you can always turn down the difficulty in spots where you're getting frustrated and turn it back up later if you feel it's gotten too easy.

Use the map. If you have not been somewhere, go there. As long as you move forward you can't miss the boss.

If you are out of SP, leave for the day and come back. You are not supposed to do it all in one go.

Put it on easy, you can adjust back later if you get the hang of it.

If you are really desperate, find an enemy that puts you to sleep. This sounds bad but actually heals you up and gives you SP.

Dugna

D-did we play the same game?

The game has a LOT of personal time w/ the characters (interwoven w/ texting and chatter and social links) It sure as hell has much much more personal time and look into characters than Persona 3 does, and i'd argue that the dynamics and constant questioning of actions is better than Persona 4's interactions.

Persona 5 is very very different from either and thats apparent from minute 1 when you are treated like a piece of shit burden and everyone is making shitty rumours about you.

what your saying about "being persona" only stems from persona's 3 and 4. 1 and 2 are way way way different , and i'd agrue that persona 5 is more of a mishmash of all of the game's character handlings (at least somewhat).

Honestly while playing Persona 5 i was often reminded of Persona 4 and 3. Some things I felt were done better in those games, some things i felt were done better here. either way its very very much "Persona" whether you think so or not.

Yes we've played the same game, I've played it several times over both JP and NA release. The game overall just felt less personal, anytime besides maybe study sessions the group met up it was all talk about palaces, mementos etc etc. Even their school trip it was all about phantom thieves this phantom thieves that, and outside of their intial palaces most of the characters didn't grow much.

Like Yosuke calling you partner at the last boss fight in P4 has more impact then Ryuji saying anything similar, because over the time of P4 even if you missed Yosukes Slink he grew with the story. The cast of P5 just sorta does cool stuff and then at the last moment burns itself out because the writers went "ohh crap we gotta tie alot of this ambigous 'reform society' together" which leads to the rushed feeling of the ending.

Dugna

The game is direct theme is "reform society" its why the protag is in a jail cell, its why this game deals with politics, and to your point
while yes it shows you don't need to be a phantom thief to change society its still about reforming society
I mean at the end its litterally you reforming society in the form of
stealing the holy grail
thats the main focus the whole time.

Btw I'm not saying this is a bad game, I love it, I'm just pointing out why people would find this game less persona like

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished .. holy shit .. what an amazing game.

75 hours. Credits rolling by as I type this. Money well spent and probably the best game of the year so far. The ending doesn't have the same emotional gut punch that Persona 4 did, but hen P4 generally had better fleshed out characters.

It's a huge shame they blocked screen sharing, the game had plenty of vibrant colorful moments I'd have liked to save.

Valentine's day:
TOTALLY worth it being a dick and romancing everyone. Also, fucking master class timing on Ryuji's "Does a chocolate from my mother count ?" text.

PK Gaming

Yes we've played the same game, I've played it several times over both JP and NA release. The game overall just felt less personal, anytime besides maybe study sessions the group met up it was all talk about palaces, mementos etc etc. Even their school trip it was all about phantom thieves this phantom thieves that, and outside of their intial palaces most of the characters didn't grow much.

Then what about Persona 4, which is devoid of character development after each individual arc, social link aside? At least characters like Ryuji and Morgana explicitly have ongoing character arcs.

Like Yosuke calling you partner at the last boss fight in P4 has more impact then Ryuji saying anything similar, because over the time of P4 even if you missed Yosukes Slink he grew with the story. The cast of P5 just sorta does cool stuff and then at the last moment burns itself out because the writers went "ohh crap we gotta tie alot of this ambigous 'reform society' together" which leads to the rushed feeling of the ending.

Yosuke = / Ryuji

Yosuke stays the same for better or worse. Ryuji changes over the course of the story, and his (Palace 7th spoiler)
moment where he saves the day pretty much eclipses anything Yosuke does.

In the end, it just sounds like you prefer P3/P4's cast to P5, which is fine. But don't conflate that preference with character quality.

The best part of the game *palace 7 spoilers*
was the 15 or so second where it looked like Ryuji was dead

The worst part of the game was *palace 7 spoilers*
when Ryuji wasn't actually dead

Dugna

Then what about Persona 4, which is devoid of character development after each individual arc, social link aside? At least characters like Ryuji and Morgana explicitly have ongoing character arcs.

Yosuke = / Ryuji

Yosuke stays the same for better or worse. Ryuji changes over the course of the story, and his (Palace 7th spoiler)
moment where he saves the day pretty much eclipses anything Yosuke does.

In the end, it just sounds like you prefer P3/P4's cast to P5, which is fine. But don't conflate that preference with character quality.

if you want to say yosuke gets no character development outside of the main story then you're very wrong, but even then same goes with Ryuji, him doing what he did is just a retread of his main story from palace 1. There was nothing overall special about it besides him not screwing up

Again I really do love this game, I just hope the next version improves on some bad parts is all.

Love how everyone picks on Mishima. Hilarious.

"An overwhelmingly forgettable appearance, generic speech style, and total lack of sex appeal...can only mean he's an NPC". Futaba destroyed him lol.

PK Gaming

if you want to say yosuke gets no character development outside of the main story then you're very wrong, but even then same goes with Ryuji, him doing what he did is just a retread of his main story from palace 1. There was nothing overall special about it besides him not screwing up

Then explain it to me, because there's no discernible instance of Yosuke growing as a character in the main story of Persona 4.

Ryuji on the other hand, actually receives character development.

Mediking

Guys... the cast of P5 are together because they wanna end people's suffering to help their own suffering... I keep saying this because this explains why they behave the way they do. And yeah, they ARE friends.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Was not expecting 4 hard battles in a row, with only a real break after the first. Wasn't too bad, but I was worried for a moment.

Jintor

it's a fine high level goal, but there's not the same level or personalness there was in p4 imho since the 'enemy' is so... undefined for like half the game

StoneFox

It's a huge shame they blocked screen sharing, the game had plenty of vibrant colorful moments I'd have liked to save.
I wish we had it just so I could post a glitch I got where Joker got stuck on some geometry and started floating above the ground. My teammates would teleport to Joker's location when I rotated the camera and I thought I was stuck in some sort of crazy puzzle room >->

My only option was to use a Goho-m to escape...

Yeah, nothing weird about that. Let it digest with you for a while. You may even decide you don't want to return to it for the better. It's a good move for some, I think.
Yeah, I just finished replaying p4G it's like going back to an old friend so good and watching the anime now #thefeels

Dugna

Then explain it to me, because there's no discernible instance of Yosuke growing as a character in the main story of Persona 4.

Ryuji on the other hand, actually receives character development.

Yosuke himself grows with the main story while Ryuji barely does, yosuke for example in the words you used "was dissatisfied with life" That slowly changes overtime even outside his Slink with the story itself, evidence being stuff like calling you partner.

Ryuji though has his moment at like the end, he doesn't progress at all past his initial story arc for the majority of the game unlike Yosuke. Thats the main problem and why the ending of P5 felt so rushed .

Mediking

Yosuke himself grows with the main story while Ryuji barely does, yosuke for example in the words you used "was dissatisfied with life" That slowly changes overtime even outside his Slink with the story itself, evidence being stuff like calling you partner.

Ryuji though has his moment at like the end, he doesn't progress at all past his initial story arc for the majority of the game unlike Yosuke. Thats the main problem and why the ending of P5 felt so rushed .

What the...??? I've only just beat Palace 3 and I'm already seeing Ryuji going through good character development.

Zafir

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that at all.

Between the phone calls to the MC apologising for his behaviour, the fact that by the end of the game he even says "that's okay" when the phantom thieves aren't in the spotlight, and the
running sequence
in dungeon 7. That's a decent chunk of character development right there.

I'm not the biggest Ryuji fan, but I felt he had way more development in the main story than Yosuke ever did.

Dugna

What the...??? I've only just beat Palace 3 and I'm already seeing Ryuji going through good character development.

Like? ryuji stays consistent throughout, he's selfish at times but a good person at heart, he never changes his ideals all that much besides that one point where the whole cast themselves does. Hence my point that theres less character development and more "phantom thieves" development.

PK Gaming

There is no change over time. Once he joins the Investigation, he becomes the idiotic happy go lucky teen we know and love, occasionally contradicting the platitudes he parrots to the group (about being true to one's self) with how he treats Kanji.

I'm not sure how else to explain Ryuji. His arc is simple, and he explicitly changes past his initial story arc (ie: letting things go to his head). If there was no progression, there wouldn't be complaints regarding how obnoxious he is. And then there's the conclusion I posted a while back.

MAN I WISH PEOPLE KNEW WE WERE PHANTOM THEIVES SO WE COULD GET LADIES

That's Ryuji's character for 90% of the game

You know, even your ridiculous hyperbolic description of Ryuji's character is still more than what Yosuke had going for him in Persona 4's main narrative.

Dugna

There is no change over time. Once he joins the Investigation, he becomes the idiotic happy go lucky teen we know and love, occasionally contradicting the platitudes he parrots to the group (about being true to one's self) with how he treats Kanji.

I'm not sure how else to explain Ryuji. His arc is simple, and he explicitly changes past his initial story arc (ie: letting things go to his head). If there was no progression, there wouldn't be complaints regarding how obnoxious he is.

but for people who think he's obnoxius they would've thought he was obnoxious before and after the first palace if they spent time with him, he's a character that stays pretty static throughout besides that ending event.

Unlike Yosuke who grows as a partner overtime, Yosuke doesn't call you leader and partner till later parts of the game, unlike Ryuji who calls you it pretty early on. But thats mostly how the phantom thieves theme works though which isn't bad persay but it leads to less fleshed out characters, and a better overall team.

Zafir

but for people who think he's obnoxius they would've though he was obnoxious before and after the first palace is they spent time with him, he's a character that stays pretty static throughout besides that ending event.

That's still more than what Yosuke got.

*shrug*

Mediking

Like? ryuji stays consistent throughout, he's selfish at times but a good person at heart, he never changes his ideals all that much besides that one point where the whole cast themselves does. Hence my point that theres less character development and more "phantom thieves" development.

You gotta take in consideration how Ryuji was BEFORE you met him with the track situation and his dad/mom situation. Damn, the whole school hates his guts too. Why the hell do you think he wants to prove himself so damn badly?

Once you realize what he was going through BEFORE you met him... you can see his growth as he overcomes that stuff.

What was his legendary line when you become friends with Ryuji?

Oh.. .yeah...

"Don't ignore me when you see me around"

I felt so bad for the guy that he even had to say that and that was super early in the game!

PK Gaming

but for people who think he's obnoxius they would've though he was obnoxious before and after the first palace is they spent time with him, he's a character that stays pretty static throughout besides that ending event.

Ryuji's arc:

Overcomes his issues with Kamoshida and becomes a Phantom Thief ----> Progressively gets more arrogant and conceited as a result ----> Realizes that he's no better than the adults he's insulted and strives to become better ---->
Fully accepts that helping people from the shadows is better than being a show off hero

Yosuke's arc:

Starts the investigation team and resolves to take down the culprit--------------> The end.

Yosuke's character arc is objectively more static. His milestones in P4 are filled with fun times (which aren't inherently bad) but there's nothing that services his character outside of his social link. Nothing.

Unlike Yosuke who grows as a partner overtime, Yosuke doesn't call you leader and partner till later parts of the game, unlike Ryuji who calls you it pretty early on. But thats mostly how the phantom thieves theme works though which isn't bad persay but it leads to less fleshed out characters, and a better overall team.

2-YjAAy7al.jpg

84-xHdoMrCl.jpg

Love how everyone picks on Mishima. Hilarious.

"An overwhelmingly forgettable appearance, generic speech style, and total lack of sex appeal...can only mean he's an NPC". Futaba destroyed him lol.

Yet despite Mishima being the punching bag of Persona 5, he still gets one over on Ryuji in end.

On Valentine's Day if you end up with Ryuji he mentions that both Yusuke and Mishima are busy. Mishima gets more play than Ryuji.

Dugna

You gotta take in consideration how Ryuji was BEFORE you met him with the track situation and his dad/mom situation. Damn, the whole school hates his guts too. Why the hell do you think he wants to prove himself so damn badly?

Once you realize what he was going through BEFORE you met him... you can see his growth as he overcomes that stuff.

What was his legendary line when you become friends with Ryuji?

Oh.. .yeah...

"Don't ignore me when you see me around"

I felt so bad for the guy that he even had to say that and that was super early in the game!

Except that Ryuji never changed his ideals, him being shunned by society isn't a character trait its just part of the story. I mean people passively hated Yosuke because he was the child of the local Junes owner, but that didn't define his character.

if nobody shunned Ryuji he would act the same he does when he opens up to you, cheerful willing to help others and work hard like he does in the past with the track team. That whole beginning part of the game was more about Kamoshida and how the others interacted with him and less about the characters themselves.

Ryuji's arc:

Overcomes his issues with Kamoshida and becomes a Phantom Thief ----> Progressively gets more arrogant and conceited as a result ----> Realizes that he's no better than the adults he's insulted and strives to become better ---->
Fully accepts that helping people from the shadows is better than being a show off hero

Yosuke's arc:

Starts the investigation team and resolves to take down the culprit--------------> The end.

Yosuke's character arc is objectively more static. His milestones in P4 are filled with fun times (which aren't inherently bad) but there's nothing that services his character outside of his social link. Nothing.

Yosuke copes with losing somebody he cared about --> starts the investigation team later on with Chie and Yukiko and Yu --> grows into his role and stumbles his way through --> utlimately wants to save the world because of his growth overtime. Ruiji didn't get anymore development then yosuke.

EDIT: Those two pics prove my point though, the first one is months after the intial start of the game where he slowly starts working with you more and more 06/15 is after the 2nd dungeon, and the 2nd is basically because of gameplay reasons, its easier to insert a line in there for an all out attack.

Mediking

@Dugna But Ryuji DID change his ideas! Before Joker came around, he didn't care about society and people's suffering because hardly anybody cared about HIS suffering!

C'mon, man! Work with me here.

I haven't even launched in Yosuke. He's a cool kid. Another outcast but at least he still had Chie and some others before Yu came along.

Dugna

@Dugna But Ryuji DID change his ideas! Before Joker came around, he didn't care about society and people's suffering because hardly anybody cared about HIS suffering!

C'mon, man! Work with me here.

I haven't even launched in Yosuke. He's a cool kid. Another outcast but at least he still had Chie and some others before Yu came along.

no Ryuji didn't change his ideals till the end when the rest of the cast does, he's always been against corrupt adults from the get go and all because of Kamoshida, nobody actually liked Kamoshida outside of the adults like Ann becomes more distant from Ryuji not because Ryuji changed but because the surroundings around them did.

FluxWaveZ

Yosuke copes with losing somebody he cared about --> starts the investigation team later on with Chie and Yukiko and Yu --> grows into his role and stumbles his way through --> utlimately wants to save the world because of his growth overtime. Ruiji didn't get anymore development then yosuke.

Really can't agree with what you're arguing here. Your timeline here doesn't say anything of Yosuke's growth as a character. From the beginning—after he gains his persona—to the end of the game, he doesn't change. What do you mean by he grows into his role? He didn't want to save the world at the beginning of the game? Honestly, it really sounds like you're grasping at straws to say that Yosuke had a prolonged character arc, when he really did not.

Recall

It's September in game and I still haven't figured out how to watch DVDs or play video games in my room.

I have the items in my inventory but I can sit on the sofa which only lasts a second or looking at the TV just tells me the news/shopping channel.

Is there a specific trigger to do these things?

Dugna

All this talk about Yosuke and Ryuji is making us forget something very important.

Both are woefully inferior Bros to the Best Bro Junpei.

Junpei definitely does get the best growth out of all the characters but I think thats more because he didn't have a slink to file his story into untill P3P.

PK Gaming

EDIT: Those two pics prove my point though, the first one is months after the intial start of the game where he slowly starts working with you more and more 06/15 is after the 2nd dungeon, and the 2nd is basically because of gameplay reasons, its easier to insert a line in there for an all out attack.

3 months into the game =/= later on in the game and I can guarantee you he calls Yu "partner" earlier than that.

Top Bottom