• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

ShadyK54

It's September in game and I still haven't figured out how to watch DVDs or play video games in my room.

I have the items in my inventory but I can sit on the sofa which only lasts a second or looking at the TV just tells me the news/shopping channel.

Is there a specific trigger to do these things?

I think you have the watch the TV twice for the trigger.

Opa-Pa

It's September in game and I still haven't figured out how to watch DVDs or play video games in my room.

I have the items in my inventory but I can sit on the sofa which only lasts a second or looking at the TV just tells me the news/shopping channel.

Interact with the TV again after seeing the news or whatever is on.

Dugna

Really can't agree with what you're arguing here. Your timeline here doesn't say anything of Yosuke's growth as a character. From the beginning—after he gains his persona—to the end of the game, he doesn't change. What do you mean by he grows into his role? He didn't want to save the world at the beginning of the game? Honestly, it really sounds like you're grasping at straws to say that Yosuke had a prolonged character arc, when he really did not.

Ryuji at the start of the creation of the phantom thieves wants to change the world and save it with his own ideals, this doesn't change throughout the whole game till the end where his ideals slightly shift but thats more of a group thing then a personal thing.

While Yosuke just wanted to figure out the murders which then escalated into what it did.

The story P5 leading to where it did wasn't a surprise, the story of P4 leading to where it did is, unless you're used to SMT games or something.

click the TV again after the news/shopping channel, it unlocks more options.

PixelatedBookake

Man, the Fortune arcana is such a rip off.

I kept hearing this fucking confidant was good but
I held off paying for her bullshit holy stone until December because I thought it was a rip-off and it fucking broke into salt the same evening.

I could care less what great benefits this confidant gives you, I'm making coffee and curry at LeBlanc instead.

FluxWaveZ

Ryuji at the start of the creation of the phantom thieves wants to change the world and save it with his own ideals, this doesn't change throughout the whole game till the end where his ideals slightly shift but thats more of a group thing then a personal thing.

While Yosuke just wanted to figure out the murders which then escalated into what it did.

The story P5 leading to where it did wasn't a surprise, the story of P4 leading to where it did is, unless you're used to SMT games or something.

I'm not talking about where the story leads, but how their characters change throughout it. (BIG P4 Spoilers + P5 Spoilers):
Izanami and Yaldabaoth appearing do not change the motivations of Yosuke or Ryuji, that's irrelevant.
But the path they take to get to the end have different effects on their personalities.

It's not a significant arc in Ryuji's case. It's not a dramatic personality change. But I can say that Yosuke's resolve, right from the start of the game, remains consistent and the same until the end. Ryuji's resolve, because of obstacles they face along the way, strengthens in the main story path. This is a fundamental difference.

This is a problem I had with P4 when I played it in 2009, having come from P3 FES which did have important character arcs and changes baked into the main story.

The problem with Ryuji's development is that it actively fucks up most of the game.

Start scene you were looking forward to:
Everyone else: This is cool, we are going to have fun!
Ryuji: This sucks, we should be more popular. How can we be more popular?
Everyone else: It isn't about that, don't be a dick.
End scene

Youske ruins a lot of scenes in P4 as well but he does it in a way which is consistent with the general immaturity of the rest of the group. There is basically no reason people like Makoto and the MC would put up with Ryuji's bullshit except that he happened to be there at the start. Even in a game about not fitting in, he doesn't fit in. He should just be helping Mishima with the css on the website or something and stay the fuck away from what everyone else is trying to do.

Mediking

The problem with Ryuji's development is that it actively fucks up most of the game.

End scene

Youske ruins a lot of scenes in P4 as well but he does it in a way which is consistent with the general immaturity of the rest of the group. There is basically no reason people like Makoto and the MC would put up with Ryuji's bullshit except that he happened to be there at the start. Even in a game about not fitting in, he doesn't fit in. He should just be helping Mishima with the css on the website or something and staying the fuck away from what everyone else is trying to do.

The scene where the group is talking about studying for exams and how they should celebrate about beating the 3rd Palace literally goes against what you said about Ryuji.

jackdoe

I kept hearing this fucking confidant was good but
I held off paying for her bullshit holy stone until December because I thought it was a rip-off and it fucking broke into salt the same evening.

I could care less what great benefits this confidant gives you, I'm making coffee and curry at LeBlanc instead.
You done fucked up.
The Rank 7 ability is absolutely important if you want to try to max confidant ranks in your first playthrough.

After beating the game, I absolutely wished I ranked up the confidant quicker.

Zafir

This is a problem I had with P4 when I played it in 2009, having come from P3 FES which did have important character arcs and changes baked into the main story.

Agreed. Perhaps for the same reason too. I played Persona 3 when it came out in Europe in 08, and then imported Persona 4 from the US when it came out late 08.

Persona 3 did a much better incorporating character growth in the main story. Even the females, who did actually have a social link, managed to have pretty good character development outside of that. Persona 4 lacked that. Besides their corresponding arc/dungeon, everything else felt like it got shoved into their social link.

I think Persona 5 still has that problem to a certain extent too, but I do believe it has done it a bit better than 4.

PK Gaming

End scene

Youske ruins a lot of scenes in P4 as well but he does it in a way which is consistent with the general immaturity of the rest of the group. There is basically no reason people like Makoto and the MC would put up with Ryuji's bullshit except that he happened to be there at the start. Even in a game about not fitting in, he doesn't fit in. He should just be helping Mishima with the css on the website or something and stay the fuck away from what everyone else is trying to do.

Duckroll already covered this:
This is a really stupid complaint though. I mean, I think Ryuji is a moron too, he's a perv, and he is a loudmouth. But it's unreasonable to ignore the fact that when your character transferred in, you were a "delinquent with a record" no one wanted to talk to, and Ryuji was the first guy who opened up to you. You discovered the Metaverse together and beat Kamoshida together with Ann. Ryuji and Ann are also old friends. It honestly dosen't make any sense to tell the co-founders of the Phantom Thieves to "fuck off" in this context.

He's one of the driving forces of the Phantom Thieves, a reliable combatant and pretty good terms with everyone barring Morgana. He fits in fine.

PixelatedBookake

You done fucked up.
The Rank 7 ability is absolutely important if you want to try to max confidant ranks in your first playthrough.

After beating the game, I absolutely wished I ranked up the confidant quicker.

Maxed out all the confidants I wanted to so I'm good. The only ones I didn't max out are Tower, Hanged Man, Devil, Fortune, and Priestess. I'll live.

The scene where the group is talking about studying for exams and how they should celebrate about beating the 3rd Palace literally goes against what you said about Ryuji.

Great example. Let's look at the scene:

* Starts with Ryuji being dumb. Makoto gives up trying to help
* They watch the tv
* Ryuji complains about them being the bad guys.
* Ann says don't worry about it.
* Ryuji talks about how many people are talking about them and how much hype! there is on the forums
* Morgana tells him to stop being a dick about it
* Ryuji gets excited about taking on a "bigger" target
* Makoto tells him to worry about his exams
* Ryuji ignores this and starts talking about how to celebrate

This is literally what I'm talking about. Nobody else gives a fuck, but it is all about Ryuji's bullshit. If this was the real world, you would make plans with him and then get together with the rest of the group later and go do something else.

Duckroll already covered this:

He's one of the driving forces of the Phantom Thieves, a reliable combatant and pretty good terms with everyone barring Morgana. He fits in fine.

In general, you can't just pull a "but Duckroll" but more specifically this is about Ryuji's roll in making the whole game less enjoyable to play.

Jintor

i have to be honest i found almost nothing wrong with ryuuji apart from his habit of shouting about the phantom thieves in public, and given the general trope of 'nobody in a jrpg can overhear your conversations' i never really had that much of a problem with that anyway.

i have a much bigger problem with morgana's
hissyfit
in the middle of september (and admittedly ryuuji's role in it, but that's just because he's an insensitive jerk anyway)

much like with yosuke i don't really have a problem with the character being a jackass, but the fact you can't meaningfully call characters on being a jackass is what really grinds my gears

zeniselv

If you bugth the TV and console, just press x at the TV a second time after the dialogue box of the TV program or news closes.

PK Gaming

Great example. Let's look at the scene:

* They watch the tv
* Ryuji talks about how many people are talking about them and how much hype! there is on the forums

This is literally what I'm talking about. Nobody else gives a fuck, but it is all about Ryuji's bullshit. If this was the real world, you would make plans with him and then get together with the rest of the group later and go do something else.

In general, you can't just pull a "but Duckroll" but more specifically this is about Ryuji's roll in making the whole game less enjoyable to play.

Don't be ridiculous. I'm not pulling a "but Duckroll", i'm using that post to (again) refute the argument that Ryuji doesn't fit into the group.

And you're being hyperbolic. Ryuji being obnoxious doesn't fuck up the game any more than (insert any short-tempered JRPG character) fucked up a particular group dynamic. Disliking that character is fine, but to act like he makes the game actively less enjoyable is ridiculous.

* They watch the tv

He's an excitable 16 year old on a serious power trip. This is nothing.

I think by the end of the game, Ryuji really comes around. And he was your bro when no one wanted to touch you. Yeah, he's an idiot at times, but he's the idiot you keep around because you know you can depend on him to be there no matter what.

batfax

So I started a New Game+ to do some of the exclusive stuff in it and decided to turn on the Japanese voices for a change of pace... but why are the subtitles awful? Only the barest dialog is translated. There was a whole segment where the camera is staring at a TV reporter talking and none of it's subtitled for what felt like a whole minute before I just skipped the scene altogether. Who would okay this?

Dugna

Sending the calling card for palace
doesn't end anything early, unlike the previous one, right?

yep, technically all the palaces can be done in under 2-3 days depending on the scenes, you get to the treasure and you send the card or wait it doesn't waste days at all.

Zafir

So I started a New Game+ to do some of the exclusive stuff in it and decided to turn on the Japanese voices for a change of pace... but why are the subtitles awful? Only the barest dialog is translated. There was a whole segment where the camera is staring at a TV reporter talking and none of it's subtitled for what felt like a whole minute before I just skipped the scene altogether. Who would okay this?
Yeah there's a decent chunk of dialogue which isn't subtitled. Basically bits that someone thought wasn't important. You don't miss much by not hearing it, but it bothered me enough that I didn't last very long with the Japanese language option.

I think it's basically because the Japanese voice option was an after thought. They probably thought not having that stuff subtitled is fine if you speak the native language of the voices.

Dugna

My favorite confidant would be Sun, the one I skipped my first ever playthrough, guy is dope I wish more politicians existed like him in real life.

Jintor

Yeah I actually found his arc interesting even if he does have moments where you just wanna slap the dude or laugh at his expense.

I like that they made someone who's so pathetic that even the player kinda wants to crap on him lol, and they give you the opportunity to do so plenty of times

batfax

Yeah there's a decent chunk of dialogue which isn't subtitled. Basically bits that someone thought wasn't important. You don't miss much by not hearing it, but it bothered me enough that I didn't last very long with the Japanese language option.

I think it's basically because the Japanese voice option was an after thought. They probably thought not having that stuff subtitled is fine if you speak the native language of the voices.

So, what if hypothetically I'm hard of hearing or deaf? I'm just fucked then? What a garbage way to implement subtitles.

I need to start making the effort to actually walk around Tokyo more. I was relying too much on what is honestly one of the best implantations of fast travel. There's not a whole lot going on out in the streets but it's nice to look at. I even went to find the line to Akihabara lol.

Also since I'm talking about navigation I love the rail map.

Zafir

So, what if hypothetically I'm hard of hearing or deaf? I'm just fucked then? What a garbage way to implement subtitles.

Well, as I said, you don't miss a great deal from the dialogue that isn't subtitled.

It's mainly just random dialogue which isn't the main focus, such as random tv voices, radio announcements, passing civ's etc.

But yes, I think it's a poor way to implement subs. Tokyo Mirage Sessions had similar problems, in that there was some dialogue which wasn't subtitled(mainly with regards to combat). Didn't even have the option to swap to English voices with that, either.
I need to start making the effort to actually walk around Tokyo more. I was relying too much on what is honestly one of the best implantations of fast travel. There's not a whole lot going on out in the streets but it's nice to look at. I even went to find the line to Akihabara lol.

There's a lot of nice touches you can find if you walk around. A lot of the NPC's dialogue updates with each passing arc to reflect what's going on and little things like that. I also noticed around October there was Halloween decorations, and in December there is Christmas decorations.

It's worth going around once or twice between major story events at least. There's some good NPC chatter and stories which develop throughout the game.

Finally finished the game today and maxed out 12 confidants. Maybe one day I'll go back and max out the confidants but after 93+ hours in Persona 5 and 55+ hours in Horizon I need to move on to some smaller games for now to decompress.

I really enjoyed my time with Persona 5, and after beating it I understand why it took them so long to make it but man was it worth the wait.

I do have a few complaints with the game though that may keep it from making it one of my favourite games of all time.

1. I had to turn to Japanese dubs midway through the game because I couldn't stand Sojiro saying, "Hey you're back" every time I entered LeBlanc, or Morgana saying Hey! every time he told me to go to sleep (which obviously also got super annoying) and worst of all Ryuji constantly saying "For Real!" every two seconds. The Japanese voice acting is much better than the English voice acting in my opinion but the only problem is that the cut scenes in Japanese for whatever reason didn't have English subtitles unless I forgot to turn them on or something. This got super frustrating.

2. I hated that the characters constantly were reminding me that I needed to go a Palace. Anytime I wanted to hang out with them they would always say "Are you sure we should hang out, shouldn't we go to the Palace?". Also the constant reminders from Morgana about how many days I had left to steal the treasure and the constant reminders from my friends over text about heading to the Palace.

3. Lastly, the constant texts from my fellow Phantom Thieves really irritated me. And every time I would get the texts they seemed to just be saying the same things over and over again. Stuff like I hope we can change his heart or are you sure this is going to work. I would usually wait to infiltrate each palace until the last couple of days and over the 3 weeks+ that each mission lasted, my friends would say we need to change his heart as soon as possible multiple times. It really got annoying after the first couple of palaces.

duckroll

You were playing the PS3 version, right? How is that holding up? Any framerate issues or whatever that you noticed?

I dunno how it compares to the PS4 one but it runs as well as any other good PS3 game. Stable, no big frame drops, cutscenes look great, etc. The loading feels a second or two longer than intended at times though, but that's pretty normal for PS3 games!

zeniselv

Anyone knows if all the ps4 themes of this game have Tokyo daylight as its music, or different for each one, if so, os there one with beneath the mask?

Link1110

I haven't done Japanese voice yet, saving it for ngp but Morgana had Pikachu's VA, so I'm expecting that one too be pretty good at least.

Id be pleasantly surprised if she voiced the pi pi pi from the cell phone too but not holding my breath, goes I'll just keep pretending Pikachu is mc's ringtone and it's censored for copyright reasons

Opa-Pa

What sucks about Mishima is that the way he's introduced into the story makes you think he'll at least be a sort of complex character, but then you start his SL and find out he's the biggest tool since that asshole in P3 trying to date his teacher, probably.

He has a couple of moments, but he's mostly an extremely basic loser with a hilariously silly conflict, what a waste of an SL.

Protect this smile

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3cPrCtB.jpg[/IMG]

Yes!

Anyone knows if all the ps4 themes of this game have Tokyo daylight as its music, or different for each one, if so, os there one with beneath the mask?

Joker, Makoto and Ann's have the instrumental version of Beneath the Mask. Not sure if any others do too.

NeatoKuni

Is it possible for party members to perform a follow up if you haven't unlocked their social link yet? I just got
haru
and she did a follow up in like my second battle with her in my party...

Top Bottom