• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Grudy

Just always be careful when you're registering a persona that it's not a lower-leveled one if you've already registered it in the compendium (sometimes it's best not to register all automatically, but go through them one-by-one). There's no reason not to do it. I believe the lock command makes it so you can't select that persona for fusing? I never really used that feature so I can't confirm that.

As far as yen goes, you want to vary up your battles so you're not just all-out attacking the enemies. You'll want to ask for money during hold ups every so often. If you have the Sun Confidant unlocked, be sure to rank that one up as you'll unlock a feature that allows enemies to drop more money when you ask for it in hold ups. Also, unlocking and ranking up the Fortune Confidant eventually leads to a mechanic that allows you to earn more money when you defeat enemies via all-out attack. Lastly for yen, you'll want to steal every item/chest you find in the palace. If you're in the second palace, you'll already have access to Mementos; use Mementos as your farming side dungeon. Get yen, chest items, and personas from there about once or two times a month I'd say.

Thanks a lot for the info! The thing about mementos is that I find some conflicting advice when reading about it online. Some say it's not worth it at all because it wastes an entire day. I've been meaning to give them a try but there's always more important matters like eating a burger :l

Opa-Pa

Going to Mementos just for farming is kind of a waste, yeah, but you should gather a couple of requests and once your there for the quests you can grind for money and exp too.

You should also make sure to go as far as you can each time, as Mementos progress is tied to the story.

Mediking

Going to Mementos just for farming is kind of a waste, yeah, but you should gather a couple of requests and once your there for the quests you can grind for money and exp too.

You should also make sure to go as far as you can each time, as Mementos progress is tied to the story.

Yup. I've been enjoying my time in Mementos. I really hope there's a good payoff regarding Morgana because I am so deep in this place. Lol

Opa-Pa

I wouldn't expect anything regarding that if I were you... It sucks and there's no good justification for most of the stuff you probably wonder about him :(

Mediking

I wouldn't expect anything regarding that if I were you... It sucks and there's no good justification for most of the stuff you probably wonder about him :(

REALLY HOPE YOU'RE JOKING. Morgana is such a great character. Very underrated. Prolly one of the best Persona characters of all time (English voice acting included). Atlus using him as necessary but annoying time gatekeeper mechanic has ruined his popularity among many.

I'm very curious about his past and why he keeps having weird dreams...

There just has to be a good payoff for doing all this Mementos stuff. Lol

Grudy

Too bad. He's really likable but I was thinking his past would be an important plot point later on due to how many times they bring it up.

Ragona

This is my first Persona game and i absolutely adore it and it will most definately end up on my top 10 list this year.
However, after 85 hours and waiting for the 6th palace to finish now, I end up quite bored. I feel like i saw enough of all of the games mechanics, combat is pretty easy for the most part and the game doesnt seem to add any interesting new mechanics in the late game.
Until the 70 hours mark i would prolly have given it a 10/10, but now it starts to feel like a chore to get through, though I also dont really want to stop now, because I invested so much time already and want to see it to the end.

I understand this is exactely what Persona fans want and prolly would have wanted even more, but as general gamer I feel the game is too long for its own good.

ckohler

Until the 70 hours mark i would prolly have given it a 10/10, but now it starts to feel like a chore to get through, though I also dont really want to stop now, because I invested so much time already and want to see it to the end.

I don't blame someone for feeling the game drags on too long. I didn't feel that but then again I knew what I was getting into.

Still, if you like the characters you really need to see it through until the end.

Windup

Neo Member
So is there a point to doing all the requests? Mementos is such a slog to get through, especially compared to the palaces. For some reason I've ended up a level behind the story in there too (just beat the 4th palace but the requests are for areas of mementos with demons with levels in the mid 20s).

Losing 30+ minutes of progress in a palace due to some cheap ass attack is so frustrating...the game could have really used a more lenient save system.

I'm on
Palace 7 and really just want to finish the game, but I can tell it's going to be another slog of a Palace.
Love the game, but this kind of stuff is super annoying...

Opa-Pa

So is there a point to doing all the requests? Mementos is such a slog to get through, especially compared to the palaces. For some reason I've ended up a level behind the story in there too (just beat the 4th palace but the requests are for areas of mementos with demons with levels in the mid 20s).

Doing requests isn't mandatory, but progressing through the floors is, and if you're going to do that then might as well do the requests while you're at it, right? Most of the ones Mishima gives you are mandatory for his confidant too, which is one of the most useful in the game.

Asd202

Finally beat it after 135 hours. What a game. You could tell all those year of developmet were not wasted like some other company that makes popular JRGs.

Lunar15

Feels weird not having Persona 5 tidbits to look forward to at E3.

First E3 I ever went to they had P5 on the back of the nametags and a little spot where you could take a picture with the protag. Good times.

Going through the palaces a second time on NG+ is soooo much faster. I managed to do BOTH 3 and 4 within an hour or so (each). Maxed social stats letting me focus on social links is great too, but for a LOOOOONG time I had nothing to do during the day (I maxed out all my daytime confidants at the start of Palace 4). Getting up there with my night-time ones too (just building up requests and then diving into Mementos before Palace 5 starts up properly).

Quick question though: is there anywhere you can read your books during the day? I have the time to get that trophy, but I don't want to sacrifice my nights just yet.

Arrrammis

Going through the palaces a second time on NG+ is soooo much faster. I managed to do BOTH 3 and 4 within an hour or so (each). Maxed social stats letting me focus on social links is great too, but for a LOOOOONG time I had nothing to do during the day (I maxed out all my daytime confidants at the start of Palace 4). Getting up there with my night-time ones too (just building up requests and then diving into Mementos before Palace 5 starts up properly).

Quick question though: is there anywhere you can read your books during the day? I have the time to get that trophy, but I don't want to sacrifice my nights just yet.

I think you can read books in the school library at one of the tables.

PK Gaming

tumblr_oofhzfg8Qz1wn6hn2o1_1280.png

tumblr_oofhzfg8Qz1wn6hn2o2_1280.png

tumblr_lya7ew4Kcv1qdwsn0.png

Just a quick question about New Game Plus. No spoilers in the answer, thanks. So, I'm playing the game blind for my first playthrough, so no walkthroughs, no social link guides etc. With JRPG's, or at least the ones I really enjoy, I like to squeeze as much as I can out of them before finishing them properly, so that leads me to my question. I'm not going for the true/good ending my first time through, rather I want to finish my blind playthrough at the first opportunity of an ending, which would be a bad ending I presume. So, what's the earliest point I can get an ending and get NG+? Also, is the gap between the bad ending and true ending content significant? How many hours approximately more gameplay is in that gap? I don't want to know if there's an extra dungeon or two, just how many more hours there would be.

I'm assuming that, like P4G, you can do NG+ on bad endings that aren't fudging up the dungeon deadline process. So, yeah, I could be wrong on how NG+ works in this game.

Dundar

Just a quick question about New Game Plus. No spoilers in the answer, thanks. So, I'm playing the game blind for my first playthrough, so no walkthroughs, no social link guides etc. With JRPG's, or at least the ones I really enjoy, I like to squeeze as much as I can out of them before finishing them properly, so that leads me to my question. I'm not going for the true/good ending my first time through, rather I want to finish my blind playthrough at the first opportunity of an ending, which would be a bad ending I presume. So, what's the earliest point I can get an ending and get NG+? Also, is the gap between the bad ending and true ending content significant? How many hours approximately more gameplay is in that gap? I don't want to know if there's an extra dungeon or two, just how many more hours there would be.

I'm assuming that, like P4G, you can do NG+ on bad endings that aren't fudging up the dungeon deadline process. So, yeah, I could be wrong on how NG+ works in this game.

I'm not sure I understand you reasoning, anyway the first bad end is
on november 20th
After that there's, like, other
hours of game.

I think the most important carry-over thing is maxed confidants item which allow you to fuse final personas.... but there's a confidant that's really tricky to max before that date on the first run of the game (maybe it's not even possible, dunno).
Anyway, P5 is such a long game, I suggest to play it however you want and, eventually, keep NG+ if you really are feeling it and/or want to platinum it.

lt519

So I was all hyped to finish this off yesterday. Starting Palace 7 at the point where you start to search for
the letters of recommendations
, yeah well 7 hours later I finished it. I'm at max stats, and some confidants have no chance of reaching max so I basically did some odds and ends to make a Platinum NG+ quicker, like reading books and playing video games, while waiting for the deadline. Most nights I just went to sleep early (damnit, just realized I could have trained for more HP).

Anyway, its now 8PM and I'm like, well deadline is here game has gotta be ending...
some final fight probably, couple hours max. NOPE, giant Mementos dungeon.
Well that's gotta be it right? NOPE, temple with tons of mini bosses. I got through 2 and went back to regen health/sp and called it a night. I think I'm real close, but I was shocked how long this is going on.

It is dragging a little, just like I thought TMS#FE did. I think I just reach a point, 82 hours in for this game, where I just want it to end. We'll see how it goes, I haven't died in forever, but the sparse save points lately have been a little nerve wracking. However, if I meet any resistance at this point I'd probably have no problem dropping the difficulty.

I'm not sure I understand you reasoning, anyway the first bad end is
on november 20th
After that there's, like, other
hours of game.

I think the most important carry-over thing is maxed confidants item which allow you to fuse final personas.... but there's a confidant that's really tricky to max before that date on the first run of the game (maybe it's not even possible, dunno).
Anyway, P5 is such a long game, I suggest to play it however you want and, eventually, keep NG+ if you really are feeling it and/or want to platinum it.

Yeah, my reasoning probably comes off as a little eccentric. I play blind first time through and when I get to the end boss......I start over again and do a more thorough playthrough at some later point in time, sometimes straight after, sometimes much later. Unless you're FFXIII, I just wanted that shit over. With Persona 4 Golden, for example, I beat it last year getting the normal ending, but didn't go all in, knowing that I could come back to it and still have more to see and do. I intend to revisit P4G after Persona 5. Then Persona 3 FES. So, yeah, I've got the Persona bug pretty bad at the moment and the only prescription is more Persona or
cowbell

GAWDAMN PSN FROZE.. I lost like 2hrs in the 3rd palace, i was right before the treasure too and was backtracking to the safe room (Which i believe there is only one??)

Just got through
Nov 20th
for the first time. Yep, that's the persona I remember. Had to stop playing because work in the morning but I'm really itching to see where things go from here.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Love the game but the downtime between palaces is killing me. It's like 5h of dialogue straight every time I finish a palace.
The game does have weird pacing if you charge through the palaces in a few 2-4 hour sittings early in the deadline, and then deal with 2+ weeks of everyday life before the next segment. It's good for time optimization in the game, but it does make each section more of a slog than I'd like.

It helps to break up the monotony by going to Mementos, but that only goes so far.

The game does have weird pacing if you charge through the palaces in a few 2-4 hour sittings early in the deadline, and then deal with 2+ weeks of everyday life before the next segment. It's good for time optimization in the game, but it does make each section more of a slog than I'd like.

It helps to break up the monotony by going to Mementos, but that only goes so far.

Yeah, unfortunately that's what I'm doing. I need about ~3-4 days to get to the point where I get to send a calling card and getting to the currently lowest stage of Mementos takes like 2 days. The gameplay is terrific but Jesus Christ, the game could have used some editing.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It would probably be better pacing-wise to do the palace near the middle of the deadlines instead of near the front or near the end, but then you'd have to deal with all your friends going "are you sure? We have a palace to do" every time you try to hang out with them.

But according to the touchpad screen, most people either do the palaces right away, or near the deadline.

Grudy

Quick question, if I wanna level up a persona by gaining exp from battle, do they have to be used in the battle itself? Like do they have to cast a spell or whatever?

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Quick question, if I wanna level up a persona by gaining exp from battle, do they have to be used in the battle itself? Like do they have to cast a spell or whatever?

You have to finish the fight with them. There's a passive skill called Growth which lets them gain experience even if they aren't used.

Mediking

Well that sucks. I wanna level up Yusuke's cause I don't like his current skill set.

Level up Mishima's social link. Party members who aren't active in a battle aka sitting in the back row will still gain good exp. I maxed out Mishima's. Lol

Grudy

Level up Mishima's social link. Party members who aren't active in a battle aka sitting in the back row will still gain good exp. I maxed out Mishima's. Lol

Do I have to do mementos to advance it? I haven't been there since the tutorial and I only got about 3 requests piled up. Mishima just talks about fulfilling one of his requests when I try talking to him but I didn't see any requirements to complete it when I looked up his confidant online.

Mediking

Do I have to do mementos to advance it? I haven't been there since the tutorial and I only got about 3 requests piled up.

Yup. And it's actually best to do Mementos when you have multiple requests to do than just one at a time. It's a great way to knock 'em out in one go and a good way to train. Mementos is really cool. Lol

!!! And you're early so I'll shut up about anything else.

Enjoy the game :D

Yup. And it's actually best to do Mementos when you have multiple requests to do than just one at a time. It's a great way to knock 'em out in one go and a good way to train. Mementos is really cool. Lol

!!! And you're early so I'll shut up about anything else.

Enjoy the game :D

I's also great for getting persona you missed in the dungeon in question.

Just went through Palace 5 again. Appreciated it slightly more this time but the automatic doors were still annoying. Airlock puzzle was easy to remember.

I find it really stupid the quick reading book is locked behind 3 3-session books. I didn't even realize you could buy stuff from booktown.

Arrrammis

I'm on the last palace (I think?)
The Mementos prison
and I am just looking forward to replaying the game and not feeling like I have to micromanage every social interaction. I heard that your social skills carry over, as well as the
Fortune Teller's skills
, so it should be way easier and faster to level up stuff and see more of the characters than I did.

Cross posting from the community thread:
One thing I've noticed having started another play through of Golden. I vastly prefer the awakening in 5 to 4. In 4/Golden, you defeat the boss, they accept who they are and collapse and are granted their persona. In 5, they actually wake up and do it with a bang.

lt519

Just finished. Best JRPG of the gen by far if not of last gen as well (so hard to compare to Ni No Kuni).

Oozes style, fantastic soundtrack (even my wife would be humming the battle music randomly through the day), fun battles, good dungeons, memorable characters, good story. Had it all.

Clocked in at 85 hours, I think from Palace 7 on could have been 2-3 hours shorter, I think playing an 'ending' over several sittings hurts it's impact a bit. Few gripes here and there, like unnecessarily making you go to sleep which creates some anxiety over the numerous things I ultimately didn't have time to do. The story definitely lost my interest post Palace 7 as well, but ultimately the characters themselves kept me going.

Soriku

The plot developments after Palace 6...damn!

The whole thing with remoting into the phone to activate the Metaverse was clever.

AXE

I'm done.

Not with completing the game, though.

I don't have absolutely excessive time to play stuff and I've been quite pissed to the game more than twice when the main character has been nuked or Mudooned to death, effectively erasing my past hour of progress. Straight outta nowhere. Nothing that I could do ever.

I guess that someone might've thought that its a great mechanic that adds to the game, and I do get it why it is as it is, but the other side of the matter is what I've been forced to deal with.

I do like the game a lot but frack this.

RunTheGhouls

Neo Member
On the last palace and the game is really starting to drag it's heels. That coupled with the anxiety of trying to finish the social links is really bumming me out.

I feel like the next Persona game should be a bit more open and considerate to the time investment needed by the player, it would not hurt the game at all.

Grinchy

Banned
It took me 2 and a half months, but I finally beat it too. It was a hell of a game, but it really felt tedious to me toward the end. Palaces 6 and 7 both tried my patience quite a bit. I kept pushing through because I liked the characters and story and wanted to see it through, but I was not really enjoying the gameplay anymore by that point.

It was a really great game that went on a bit too long.

Top Bottom