• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

So I've heard overwhelmingly positive things about this game so thought I'd check out some snippets of Let's Plays on YouTube to see if it's for me or not. According to most reviews it's basically the second coming of Christ.

Shit, there is a lot of dialogue in this game, just reams and reams of the stuff! Like, I kept skipping through to try and find some gameplay but it was always yet more conversation. Conversation after conversation...

I'd ended up skipping through about the first 7-8 hours and was STILL seeing tutorial prompts too! Is this game for real?

Yeah, no thanks. I tried P3P years back on the PSP and heard that they'd cut out a lot of he busywork from the original but I still felt like a was playing the most boring drawn out intro after 5-6 hours. Is it an intentionally banal high-school sim? A tedious copy-paste dungeon crawler? One of those weird Japanese dating sims? Just a 60 hour tutorial?

These games seem like anti-fun to me, I can't abide relentless dialogue in games. I'm genuinely surprised they've gotten such positive reviews, the art style is nice I guess but man they're so dull.
Well you've never played it and your experience is all in the form of fast forwarding through a let's play. But yea, your probably right, everyone who has played it is just brainwashed or something.

Grisby

Had a big spree today with the game and managed to get alot done. I think I'm now at the end of the game despite what i said last time.

Kind of a neat deal with the (End game spoilers, massive)
Velvet Room hijinks.

Couple observations:
-Haru's new mariachi skull persona is awesome. Best design in the game for me. She's got the best costume too so that shouldn't come as a surprise.

-My group of hoodlums are quite possibly the worst criminals in the world since every confidant knows we're the Phantom Thieves.

"Oh, we can do this!!!"-Never gets tiring.

Cognitive Psience, son.

I don't think he took that long for me since Futaba kept conveniently buffing the team's statd.
She pulled her weight for sure.

Bladenic

So I've heard overwhelmingly positive things about this game so thought I'd check out some snippets of Let's Plays on YouTube to see if it's for me or not. According to most reviews it's basically the second coming of Christ.

Shit, there is a lot of dialogue in this game, just reams and reams of the stuff! Like, I kept skipping through to try and find some gameplay but it was always yet more conversation. Conversation after conversation...

I'd ended up skipping through about the first 7-8 hours and was STILL seeing tutorial prompts too! Is this game for real?

Yeah, no thanks. I tried P3P years back on the PSP and heard that they'd cut out a lot of he busywork from the original but I still felt like a was playing the most boring drawn out intro after 5-6 hours. Is it an intentionally banal high-school sim? A tedious copy-paste dungeon crawler? One of those weird Japanese dating sims? Just a 60 hour tutorial?

These games seem like anti-fun to me, I can't abide relentless dialogue in games. I'm genuinely surprised they've gotten such positive reviews, the art style is nice I guess but man they're so dull.

ok sis

Finally finished, problem is it shouldn't of taken me this long, my largest issue was that September is just a slog of a month IMO that it makes the game negative fun. I put the game down for a significant amount of time because I just didnt have any drive to go back to it.

Spoiled my problems
I really feel like it all starts with the boss of Futaba's dungeon. It seems like it's not as "wow" as the previous three bosses. Like as far as the story is concerened its good but the presentation isn't there.

Then comes the stupidity with Morgana and Ryuji which is just boring and dumb.

Then starts the Haru dungeon plot. While I think the overall story of it is decent even though I don't like Haru that much I was interested in the story. What I really dislike though is the pacing and encounters of her dungeon.

Which then culminates in a final savepoint that afterwards you have to deal with a timer and encounters before you fight the boss who has that silly hunger mechanic on top of a timed boss battle

NinjaBoiX

To be honest I was hoping someone would point out why this game is so special in spite of all the obvious issues; far too much dialogue, never ending tutorials, cutter dungeon design, etc.
Well you've never played it and your experience is all in the form of fast forwarding through a let's play. But yea, your probably right, everyone who has played it is just brainwashed or something.
I was specifically looking for battle and dungeon footage but it genuinely took me that many attempts skipping through footage to find some. To be fair the battles did look great and a lot of fun but fuck, I couldn't deal with that much dialogue in a game, it literally seemed to comprise 80% of it.

Shame as the battle system looks genuinely fun and the art is amazing but I have no intention of playing a visual novel.

Jintor

dude it's like you've gone into a cod thread and said there's too much shooting

that's what these games are. if you're not into that that's fine. why would we bother trying to convince you though when you clearly don't want what these games are anyway

NinjaBoiX

I hadn't realised the visual novel aspect takes up so much of it, it's a JRPG right? Those games usually have a fairly even mix of battles, exploration and story not 80% story, 10% tutorials then a bit of other stuff sprinkled on top!

LotusHD

Banned
There is definitely an argument to be made that there is a lot that could be cut out, as I too felt there was a lot of fluff in regards to the dialogue. That said, it probably isn't for you, especially when you don't seem to be coming here in good faith by repeatedly stating the game's no different from a visual novel lol

NinjaBoiX

There is definitely an argument to be made that there is a lot that could be cut out, as I too felt there was a lot of fluff in regards to the dialogue. That said, it probably isn't for you, especially when you don't seem to be coming here in good faith by repeatedly stating the game's no different from a visual novel lol
I mean, is it not? Genuine question.

I've never actually played a visual novel but my understanding of it is that it's predominantly story sequences with occasional parts where it gives you control and some agency.

But yeah, this game definitely isn't for me. I've heard it's really long too, I don't have time for really long games any more.

broz0rs

I hadn't realised the visual novel aspect takes up so much of it, it's a JRPG right? Those games usually have a fairly even mix of battles, exploration and story not 80% story, 10% tutorials then a bit of other stuff sprinkled on top!

How far did you get into the game? Did you even complete any of the palaces?

People here and reddit legit spend 120+ hours on this game. There's a fair amount of everything, but I'd probably say what makes this game what it is is because of the characters.

LotusHD

Banned
I mean, is it not? Genuine question.

I've never actually played a visual novel but my understanding of it is that it's predominantly story sequences with occasional parts where it gives you control and some agency.

But yeah, this game definitely isn't for me. I've heard it's really long too, I don't have time for really long games any more.

It is not. Nonetheless, it is indeed a very wordy game, but the palaces you delve into can take a long time to complete.

And yes, the game is very long. I took 90+ hours to beat it, and that's actually short compared to others...

NinjaBoiX

How far did you get into the game? Did you even complete any of the palaces?

People here and reddit legit spend 120+ hours on this game. There's a fair amount of everything, but I'd probably say what makes this game what it is is because of the characters.
I've not played P5 but I played about 5-6 hours of P3P and felt like a was still on the leash and in Tutorialville, fuck that.
It is not. Nonetheless, it is indeed a very wordy game, but the palaces you delve into can take a long time to complete.

And yes, the game is very long. I took 90+ hours to beat it, and that's actually short compared to others...
Fair enough, cheers for the heads up.

It's just like always when a new entry in a franchise gets more exposure than the previous entries and attracts the attention of a new audience. People become curious because of the hype, create a set of expectations based on vague notions they had previously and then are surprised because it didn't blow their minds.
So then the typical reaction is that fans of that series are crazy and it's overrated.

1upsuper

So now I'm in the second palace, still on hard mode, and it's already so much easier. I still have no clue how anyone can one-shot that first palace on hard.

Took me 5 days to clear the Palace on NG Hard.

I can't see how much better you can do than that. 3 days tops maybe. I was only slightly underleveled so I didn't have access to the Lv11 skills that would've made the boss ten times easier.

sasliquid

On dungeon 3 now, trying to get moon to rank 7 but I feel like it's been a while. Do I have to wait till a certain date? I haven't seen any request

asariN7

I just finished chapter 3 and it took me 60hrs lol.I really have to stop listening to every convo and start using that fast travel.
Omg Hifumi,bitch better have my money.

1upsuper

You're not supposed to unless you're on NG+.
First time through nearly impossible unless you're avoiding fights at every opportunity
Took me 5 days to clear the Palace on NG Hard.

I can't see how much better you can do than that. 3 days tops maybe. I was only slightly underleveled so I didn't have access to the Lv11 skills that would've made the boss ten times easier.
I'm on hard and went in 3 times. Been doing the others in a single day, currently on palace 5.
Glad to know the issue wasn't just me being bad then.
I just finished chapter 3 and it took me 60hrs lol.I really have to stop listening to every convo and start using that fast travel.
Omg Hifumi,bitch better have my money.

Yeah, I'm wrapping up the second palace and I'm close to 50 hours I think.

I'm currently at
11/29
; will I be able to max out the remaining confidants in time?

Haru: Rank 5
Iwai: Rank 8
Shinya: Rank 8
Ohya: Rank 7

I just need to send out the calling card for the
th palace, and I have two unresolved Mementos requests, one of which is for
Shinya
. Plus the last one becomes available on
12/3

Do I have enough time to max them all out and clear all Mementos requests?

Lusankya

I'm currently at
11/29
; will I be able to max out the remaining confidants in time?

Haru: Rank 5
Iwai: Rank 8
Shinya: Rank 8
Ohya: Rank 7

I just need to send out the calling card for the
th palace, and I have two unresolved Mementos requests, one of which is for
Shinya
. Plus the last one becomes available on
12/3

Do I have enough time to max them all out and clear all Mementos requests?

You certainly have enough free days left to do all the stuff, although I am not sure if the confidants will be actually available on all days.

You certainly have enough free days left to do all the stuff, although I am not sure if the confidants will be actually available on all days.

Well, that's what I meant. I know I have enough days if every confidant were to hypothetically be available every day, but I'm asking if those confidants will be available on enough of the remaining days for me to max them all.

broz0rs

Well, that's what I meant. I know I have enough days if every confidant were to hypothetically be available every day, but I'm asking if those confidants will be available on enough of the remaining days for me to max them all.

You should be fine since you have Shinya and Haru during the day, and Iwai and Ohya during nights.

Woodchipper

So, this is the first Persona I've ever played. I love the art style and the music, but that's it. I finished the second palace the other day but I can't do it anymore. At least I gave it a shot.

cj_iwakura

So, this is the first Persona I've ever played. I love the art style and the music, but that's it. I finished the second palace the other day but I can't do it anymore. At least I gave it a shot.

And MC was doing so well at reforming himself, too. You've doomed him to a life of crime and juvie.

Arrrammis

Yeah, it's not really a game for everyone, but good on ya for sticking to it for that long!

For a NG+ would I have to max out the confidants I did in my previous play threw to get the trophy or can I skip then and use that time somewhere else?

ShadyK54

For a NG+ would I have to max out the confidants I did in my previous play threw to get the trophy or can I skip then and use that time somewhere else?

You have to get all the confidants in a single playthrough I think, so yeah you would have to re do them. The process is quicker in NG+ though, thanks to some items that carry over.

You have to get all the confidants in a single playthrough I think, so yeah you would have to re do them. The process is quicker in NG+ though, thanks to some items that carry over.

Thanks for the reply.

----------------------

One more question

Which Confidants can only be done up to a certain point until the story is progressed to a certain point?

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Thanks for the reply.

----------------------

One more question

Which Confidants can only be done up to a certain point until the story is progressed to a certain point?

I know the politician is one of them. Kawakami MAY be another one, but don't quote me on that.

Tanis

This game has done a real number on my Panasonic plasma. Very bad image retention. I've gamed on plasmas for the last 10 years and have never seen anything like it. The date in the top left hand corner is the main culprit, but even the speech box and little head portraits in the bottom right have left a smudge.

I finished a week ago and have been running image repair videos (which I've never had to do before) and it's only marginally better.

Usobuko

Banned
How does this game compare to Persona 4 Golden?

Character wise especially.

I don't mind simplistic plot like Golden though, what's more important are the social links, boss fights and dungeons.

This game has done a real number on my Panasonic plasma. Very bad image retention. I've gamed on plasmas for the last 10 years and have never seen anything like it. The date in the top left hand corner is the main culprit, but even the speech box and little head portraits in the bottom right have left a smudge.

I finished a week ago and have been running image repair videos (which I've never had to do before) and it's only marginally better.

How old? No issues on mine which is about 8 or 9 years old.

sasliquid

I don't mind simplistic plot like Golden though, what's more important are the social links, boss fights and dungeons.

I'd say the social links on average are better but the core cast is worse. I still liked them a lot and more so than 3s cast.

Bosses aren't good tho. Interesting designs but don't pose a challenge until very late in the game.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)

The core cast is more hit and miss than in P4 - although Ryuji is a true bro, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Social links are really good across the board. I cant think of any I didn't actually want to do, unlike P4, where I was really meh about Tower and Temper (IIRC).

ckohler

I found the social-links in P5 to be a mixed bag. Non team-member confidant storires varied from really engaging to kinda boring. Team-member social-links were all fine except for Ann's whose felt unfocused. Regardless, I did end up caring about this group quite a lot in the end.

It's also worth noting that P5's social links offer much more meaningful and game altering perks than in P4. These perks are relevant to the arcana of the character and tie in nicely to the overall theme of being a "phantom thief". In fact, one of the best things P5 does better than P4 is integrate the main story into the lives and situations of those around you. Everything feels more cohesive. In P4, you were just a scrappy bunch of otherwise normal school kids on a Scooby Doo adventure trying not to get into trouble. In P5, your pariah social status and the outcast status of those you are interacting with are more relevant to the overall theme of gaining freedom from corruption.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think Sun locks you out late in the year, but that character texts you an "I won't be able to meet up with you after this date" warning a few weeks before it happens. No other lockouts that I know of.

I played P4 normal and not Golden, but IMO:

Cast: Personally I like the P5 cast over the P3 and P4 cast. It's a combination of good voice acting (I played in English) and personality, I think. I found all the P5 characters likeable in some way, while P3 and P4 usually had 1-2 people I disliked or found annoying.
Social links: P5 has pretty good S-link stories for the non-party characters. Most of the party member S-link stories are kind of eh, though to be fair they sometimes get good development in the main story.
Boss fights: On normal difficulty, bosses start off hard and then get progressively easier as you get stronger because the game's difficulty curve doesn't seem to keep up with your character growth. IMO the hardest fight in the game comes in one of the earlier palaces.
Dungeons: Does P4G still do the randomly generated thing? P5's dungeons are fucking amazing when compared to previous Persona games because they have actual level design. It's so much better than the randomly generated stuff you see in P3 or P4.

I'm in the final few days where I have free time, and I've maxed all confidants except two that are story-based.

Should I be doing anything to prepare for NG+? I heard money, weapons, and equipment carries over, but items don't, so should I sell all my usable items?

Finished the game last night. I fucked all my social links and barely got 3 non-main characters up maxed. I feel like I missed half the game due to that :(

And fuuuck I am running high on the post game grief. Persona is such an immersive experience.

The ending doesn't feel as dramatic as P4's though. The intrusion of smartphones totally break the drama atmosphere.

Realeza

Banned
Finally finished the game. Utterly destroyed the last boss on hard using Odin lmao. Amazing game, and would go as far as call it the best Persona. For the inevitable update, I want some of the unnecessary dialogue cut and more to do in Mementos.

1upsuper

I'm only on the third palace so far but here's my take on the cast so far.

At this point I feel comfortable saying 3 has the best cast on a character by character basis, while 4 has my least favorite cast (I really didn't love anyone besides Kanji) but their friendship dynamic is the best. 3's cast doesn't have a lot of chemistry, which I think is intentional to a degree, because they're all forced into cooperating. 5 seems somewhere in the middle of all of this. The main cast is better than 4 and they have more chemistry than 3, but I don't think it's better than 3 and 4 in their respective strong areas.

We'll see how my opinion changes once the cast fills out more though. I can't believe I still have a few party members to recruit 65 hours in. I'm loving how long this game is.

Top Bottom