• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Palace 7 boss battle afterthoughts.

I gotta say that visual design of the second and third phases wasn't the most original for sure, especially when compared to the first phase. But I'll be damned it that battle doesn't keep you on your toes. I had to raise the intensity of my buff/debuff game like never before just to get away with a narrow victory.

Also, for those playing with japanese voices,
after Akechi's psychotic breakdown I was expecting Shido to become even more insane, but the delivery of his lines throughout the whole battle made him sound so calm and collected. It was like his delusions of grandeur had completely overtaken him. Kinda creepy in a way.

And of course, there is Rivers on the Desert, which instantly entered my list of all time favorite boss fight music. Powerful music and even more powerful lyrics.
But even after such an awesome resolution of the Palace (Ryuji FTW), I was still left with such a deep feeling of uncertainty and I can't wait to get to December 18th and see what happens next. In my heart I'm fearing it'll be bad real bad.

In any case I know it's close to the end and I'm laser focused to finish it all this week. And then feel miserable and empty on the inside. :(

THIS GAME IS JUST TOO GOOD

The JT

Neo Member
Finally started it last week. My first Persona game and loving it. Finished the second the palace but I got some question.
Do you always have to infiltrate palace during the daytime. Sucks that after you exit the palace you have to straight to bed. Also will I have enough time to max out everything.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Finally started it last week. My first Persona game and loving it. Finished the second the palace but I got some question.
Do you always have to infiltrate palace during the daytime. Sucks that after you exit the palace you have to straight to bed. Also will I have enough time to max out everything.

Infiltration are daytime only. After sending the calling card, you can build tools before going to sleep.

The game gives plenty of time but depends on your playstyle. Some Confidants give you more time or time related resources when ranked up so rank them up the quickest. Spoilering their Arcana just in case:
Death, Temperance and Fortune

A heads-up to everyone still playing that the final (and free) piece of DLC for the game, the Christmas costumes, are finally up on the store.

I'm about to send the calling card for palace 5 boss, looks like it will be a fight imbued with christmas spirit. I'm assuming it will become available today on the EU store.

darknil

Just passed 11/

About to start palace 7 I guess, should I focus to finish it or can I do some social linking in the meantime? Is there any time skip in this game due to finish up early a dungeon?

SlickVic

Do any of the palaces after the fifth one have
time limits within the palace to do things, like 30 seconds to get to a platform or 30 minutes to beat a boss?
I remember on the Bombcast a month or so back Ben was complaining one of his gripes with the game was having to do
time limit sequences
in a palace, but it didn't really seem that bad at all. Was wondering if there are more intense sequences like that in later palaces.

Do any of the palaces after the fifth one have
time limits within the palace to do things, like 30 seconds to get to a platform or 30 minutes to beat a boss?
I remember on the Bombcast a month or so back Ben was complaining one of his gripes with the game was having to do
time limit sequences
in a palace, but it didn't really seem that bad at all. Was wondering if there are more intense sequences like that in later palaces.
I dont remember any in the entire game outside of 5.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Have we decided on the OT3 title? Almost there

1upsuper

Finished the fourth palace. The boss was way too easy. Oh well. Also, I don't really care for the new recruit,
Futaba,
yet. I hope she grows on me, I guess.

FINALLY. After a long 120 hours (~115 taking into account idling time, and that's being generous), I am FINALLY done with the behemoth that is Persona 5. Easily my 2017 GOTY, and prolly my favorite of the three modern ones as well (though there are certain aspects that 3 and 4 did better). Adored the gameplay (even though the game ran too long for my liking), the plot was engaging (if a bit contrived for the final portion), the confidants were AWESOME (liked every single one, and Kawakami's in particular was great), and it overall feels like the most polished experience. It'll be hard to go back to the other two - procedurally generated dungeons just can't stack up to carefully designed ones. Some minor issues I had with Persona 5, however:

- ENDGAME SPOILERS:
Every Atlus game does this, but the whole "fight against god who thinks they know what's best for humans" is reeeeeally starting to get old. I don't even remember the theme of "humans prefer to not think and be mindless drones" even being well-integrated into the overall plot - it felt really contrived and at some points, "fake deep" (Morgana's speech before his Metaverse self disappeared in particular was cringe). However, I loved the twist with Igor and I think that the whole "reform society as vigilantes of justice" was executed perfectly. It's just when the game started lecturing us on the "free will of humanity" that I kinda lost interest (though it ties in nicely with the whole prison/shackle imagery they had going on in the game).
- I hated the mice puzzles in Shido's palace. Sooooo tedious, and so many of them. Most dungeons in general dragged on a bit long, but that was more my fault for always doing them in one go.
- Okumura arc was pretty trash, and Haru felt rushed as a character (though her Confidant line was one of the stronger ones).
-Speaking of Confidants, I don't even remember what Ann's was about. I was super disappointed that the game shoved her to the side post Kamoshida arc, and her Confidant line was generic and boring as all hell.
-Final boss theme was a bit weak, especially compared to the amazing battle themes within the game. Rivers in the Darkness and Life Will Change have made themselves permanent on future playlists.
- Romance wasn't done as well as P4G due to weaker events (Christmas in particular was weak - Valentine's Day felt like the only good one)/dialogue, but the increased number of romance options was prolly the reason for this.
-Those texts can be super redundant/infuriating, especially when you finish a palace. I don't need thirty "Is their heart gonna change? Did it work? Did it? Did it??" texts throughout the week, especially if we're on Palace 4. It was Golden Sun levels of reiterating each other over and over. Shido's arc was particularly bad about this.
-FeMC when????
jk..kinda

Overall though, loved my time with it. Got fatigued at certain points, but glad I stuck with it. Atlus certainly made a gem with this one :)

Nictel

I started NG+ on hard today! HYPE!

Your smarter than me, I started on hard. Will do merciless for NG+ if I get around it. I finished P3 and P4 on normal so I wanted a challenge for this one. It is a fun challenge I just hope I have enough time left for stats/confidants. It took me quite a few trips to defeat the first palace.

1upsuper

Your smarter than me, I started on hard. Will do merciless for NG+ if I get around it. I finished P3 and P4 on normal so I wanted a challenge for this one. It is a fun challenge I just hope I have enough time left for stats/confidants. It took me quite a few trips to defeat the first palace.

That's normal. I'm doing hard and the first palace is definitely the hardest. The rest of the game is a lot easier.

IMO hard had the best balance between being challenging while not entirely frustrating for persona/smt vets, even though I felt they could've made the random mobs a slight bit tankier (or increase the levels of the mobs) so that you are constantly kept on your toes on to end the fight.

Lynx_7

Reposting since no one answered.
What's the deal with (Fortune Confidant lv1 spoilers)
Chihaya's ability to increase your stat gains? Because the amount of musical notes I gain from the selected stats remains the same even if I pay her to increase them that day. Is it still improving their growth rate even if there are no visual cues?

Notice me senpais.

Reposting since no one answered.

Notice me senpais.

It does work for three notes activities if I remember right, there's just no visual cue. It increases the activities' value by 1.5x, but I might be misremembering that haha. It does work for sure though sans visual cues - I aggressively used them during my playthrough and got my stats ups much earlier than guides indicated.

Lynx_7

It does work for three notes activities if I remember right, there's just no visual cue. It increases the activities' value by 1.5x, but I might be misremembering that haha. It does work for sure though sans visual cues - I aggressively used them during my playthrough and got my stats ups much earlier than guides indicated.

Thanks, I was genuinely wondering if the system was bugged out or something.

And damn, Sojiro's confidant is some tough love to level up. I've been stuck on 3 for a while. If I can't max out all confidants in this run I'm blaming him.

So, about the chairman boss in momentos....

Who honestly thought this was a good idea? Mass brainwash and a high chance of team wide insta kill, on the first round? If you aren't following a guide, it comes out of no where, and you ether have to be extremely lucky, or spend some cash and try to fuse up something with the proper resistances/attacks. Unless, of course, you had the foresight to buy anti-brainwashing stuff when available, not that the game gave you any previous reason to even consider such a thing.

And damn, Sojiro's confidant is some tough love to level up. I've been stuck on 3 for a while. If I can't max out all confidants in this run I'm blaming him.

His Confidant level doesn't rise past a certain point until you finish the Fourth palace. The game doesn't indicate this anywhere, so people waste a lot of time hanging with him while not realizing that there is an arbitrary (yet understandable in context) barrier set up that is preventing you from progressing. Seriously, peep a Confidant guide and make note of some of the weird barriers set up for certain Confidants; it saves a lot of headaches. A lot of Confidants will also require some Mementos digging, so aggregating those requests and doing them all at once will also help to shave off time. I kept my Mementos crawls to as few days as possible, and was able to finish all Confidant links with days to spare at the end (though this was only possible with heavy Confidant skill abuse and remembering all the different skill lvl up freebies the game gives you like watering the plant, that drink in Shibuya Underground, etc.).

Who honestly thought this was a good idea? Mass brainwash and a high chance of team wide insta kill, on the first round? If you aren't following a guide, it comes out of no where, and you ether have to be extremely lucky, or spend some cash and try to fuse up something with the proper resistances/attacks. Unless, of course, you had the foresight to buy anti-brainwashing stuff when available, not that the game gave you any previous reason to even consider such a thing.

It's a painful fight (though I guess the skills fit thematically with the boss), but IIRC Arahabaki has Null Brainwash plus resistances to Phys/Gun, making him a fantastic persona to use for the fight. I had it equipped by default when I fought it, and the battle proceeded smoothly as a result.

You'll need a lot more points to rank him from 1 to 4 compared to every other confidant, which was likely done on purpose due to the calendar gate that AFG mentioned. If you're intent on seeing it through (which I also very strongly recommend) the good thing is that the second half of his confidant storyline will rank up easily, asides from the kindness 5 stat gate.

1upsuper

Got a question about relationships. I've found a lot of talk about this online but it's hard to pin down the right answer. End game spoilers:
If you go polygamous,
it's my understanding that on Valentine's Day you can pick one of your beloveds to spend the day with, you'll get your chocolates, and it's just like the monogamy route, right? Then on the next day, you get beat up by everyone but the gal you picked the day prior, but everything works out OK somehow and there's no big gameplay or story penalty? I don't wanna miss out on any special items. I'd still probably feel like a piece of shit like in Persona 4 though. I just can't choose.
=_=

Realeza

Banned
Got a question about relationships. I've found a lot of talk about this online but it's hard to pin down the right answer. End game spoilers:
If you go polygamous,
it's my understanding that on Valentine's Day you can pick one of your beloveds to spend the day with, you'll get your chocolates, and it's just like the monogamy route, right? Then on the next day, you get beat up by everyone but the gal you picked the day prior, but everything works out OK somehow and there's no big gameplay or story penalty? I don't wanna miss out on any special items. I'd still probably feel like a piece of shit like in Persona 4 though. I just can't choose.
=_=

No consequences.

How bad is the 7th dungeon? I'm in December and after the last few dungeons, I might take a break and okay another game after hearing the 7 being the worst.

1upsuper

Thanks, Realeza.

Except that you are a cheating PoS and deserve to be beat up ;)
Makoto is best girl despite her crappy Confidant line and I will hear nothing else contradicting that.
Tae Takemi. Checkmate.
I like Takemi,
Ann, and Makoto a lot. Indecision is my greatest character flaw.

Tae Takemi. Checkmate.
I like Takemi,
Ann, and Makoto a lot. Indecision is my greatest character flaw.

I like Ann, but her Confidant line was terrible and the game did her dirty by making her irrelevant and fanservice-y post Kamoshida arc (which I thought was in poor taste considering
her plot arc was with Kamoshida about sexual harrassment
. Makoto's was also pretty rough to be honest - Kawakami and Takemi had the better Confidant lines, but it felt weird to date either one of 'em haha.

How bad is the 7th dungeon? I'm in December and after the last few dungeons, I might take a break and okay another game after hearing the 7 being the worst.

It's pretty long, ngl - and like the other Palaces, has a gimmick that they looooooove to use over and over again. I was not a fan.

Zukkoyaki

Not only that, he's a damage sponge. I switched to easy to bring em down. I'd call it the toughest fight in the game quite comfortably, not tough in a good way either.

1upsuper

I like Ann, but her Confidant line was terrible and the game did her dirty by making her irrelevant and fanservice-y post Kamoshida arc (which I thought was in poor taste considering
her plot arc was with Kamoshida about sexual harrassment
. Makoto's was also pretty rough to be honest - Kawakami and Takemi had the better Confidant lines, but it felt weird to date either one of 'em ha ha.
Honestly the thought of dating Futaba is more weird to me. That seems like a fraternal relationship.

1upsuper

Got another question. It's September 6th and all my social stats are level 4 with a bit of progress towards 5 in each. I want to max them all this first playthrough but I want to be efficient about it and not waste automatic stat gains. Should I focus on any stats right now or focus on social links?

Got another question. It's September 6th and all my social stats are level 4 with a bit of progress towards 5 in each. I want to max them all this first playthrough but I want to be efficient about it and not waste automatic stat gains. Should I focus on any stats right now or focus on social links?

Well there are Level 5 Stat requirements for Confidant, with each stat getting one (I won't spoil which). Tbh just focus on the links you like - if you're not attempting a Max Link run through, it's imperative to just make sure your stats are maxed out before the end. Tower hemorrhages Kindness points so I would focus on that one less prolly? You should focus on social stats and leveling up Fortune to 7/Temperance to 10 ASAP so you can abuse their Confidant skills and shave off time when working on social links. You DON'T want to waste time hanging out with Confidants unless it's a rank up (which Fortune Level 7 skill helps ALOT with).

Thanks! I've been micromanaging with the Sunday juice, Fortune stat boosts, houseplant, having the right personae for each confidant, etc. so I wanna see how many confidants I can max on my own this playthrough, but my next one will focus on maxing all links. The one thing that trips me up is Mementos. I try to only go when I have 4+ targets but every time I go I inevitably and up accruing more immediately. I took a trip about a week ago and now
I have the target for Kawakami and I'm not sure when to go back to Mementos for that one. Does every confidant have a Mementos target gating their upper levels?

Yeeeeeah, Mementos is tricky. Just try to go when you have like 5 or 6 requests to go through - I kept my Mementos trips to an absolute minimum but I still fudged around with it a bit. Since your first playthrough is just for fun, don't bother stressing out; go when you feel like it. Also re: expiring SLs, Sun also expires 'round November IIRC so get that one done ASAP as well.

1upsuper

Well there are Level 5 Stat requirements for Confidant, with each stat getting one (I won't spoil which). Tbh just focus on the links you like - if you're not attempting a Max Link run through, it's imperative to just make sure your stats are maxed out before the end. Tower hemorrhages Kindness points so I would focus on that one less prolly? You should focus on social stats and leveling up Fortune to 7/Temperance to 10 ASAP so you can abuse their Confidant skills and shave off time when working on social links. You DON'T want to waste time hanging out with Confidants unless it's a rank up (which Fortune Level 7 skill helps ALOT with).

Thanks! I've been micromanaging with the Sunday juice, Fortune stat boosts, houseplant, having the right personae for each confidant, etc. so I wanna see how many confidants I can max on my own this playthrough, but my next one will focus on maxing all links. The one thing that trips me up is Mementos. I try to only go when I have 4+ targets but every time I go I inevitably and up accruing more immediately. I took a trip about a week ago and now
I have the target for Kawakami and I'm not sure when to go back to Mementos for that one. Does every confidant have a Mementos target gating their upper levels?

Arrrammis

All of the non-party confidants do and well as (palace 4 spoiler)
Futaba
IIRC, usually around rank 7 or 8. For my run I tried to get 2-3 confidant requests lined up in addition to Mishima's requests before going on a Mementos grind fest.

BTW, Kawakami's confidant is one that you should get up as quick as possible, her rank 10 is only available to unlock while you're at school (so you can't do it on vacation times), and her rank 10 gives you a lot more opportunities to work on stats and confidants.

1upsuper

All of the non-party confidants do and well as (palace 4 spoiler)
Futaba
IIRC, usually around rank 7 or 8. For my run I tried to get 2-3 confidant requests lined up in addition to Mishima's requests before going on a Mementos grind fest.

BTW, Kawakami's confidant is one that you should get up as quick as possible, her rank 10 is only available to unlock while you're at school (so you can't do it on vacation times), and her rank 10 gives you a lot more opportunities to work on stats and confidants.
Thank you!

It's a painful fight (though I guess the skills fit thematically with the boss), but IIRC Arahabaki has Null Brainwash plus resistances to Phys/Gun, making him a fantastic persona to use for the fight. I had it equipped by default when I fought it, and the battle proceeded smoothly as a result.

I actually had to resort of fusing one of those to get past that fight. Even made one that had dodge Psi as well, and gave it a bless attack skill card (not sure why it didn't inherit my Kouga skill though, wasn't an option).

Not only that, he's a damage sponge. I switched to easy to bring em down. I'd call it the toughest fight in the game quite comfortably, not tough in a good way either.

He wasn't hard once i had the necessary stuff lined up. Built out a persona with brainwash immunity, and dodge Psi, and then used a party of MC, Queen, Fox and Skull. Took two tries after that, just needone one where queen wasn't effected, and it was easy. Queen woudl cure the status effect, and fox kept him frozen about 2/3rds the time.

Opto

Banned
Finally going through the game again. Damn, the writing is so much stronger in the beginning.
The bad guys get so much more abstract as things go on, so Kamoshida is so much more of a piece of shi you want to crush. Also, Ryuji being is so fucking righteous and then he's just turned into the goofy moron.

Have fun! Just take things at your own pace - do the Confidant links you feel like doing, try a bunch of different activities you like to level up Social stats, do the requests you feel like, etc. Everyone here is down to give tips or advice whenever you like, but my biggest piece of advice is to not stress out about collecting everything and just enjoy the ride - that's what the second playthrough is far :)

Top Bottom