• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Persona Artworks revealed (Captain Kidd, Carmen, Zorro, Goemon)

mrmickfran

CPmvcBXW8AAz1Md.png
CPmvcKzXAAA-9_S.jpg
I was talking about One Piece, but I didn't even notice the Lupin reference at all lol

Kazuhira

Soejima is still one of the best artists in the gaming industry,along with shinkawa.
The starting personas look amazing.

SoulUnison

Banned
Soejima's designs are getting pretty insane in terms of detail.

It's like the series shifting to HD has let him step his art up a level, too.
Now that a higher level of detail can be displayed on the character in-game, he's comfortable embellishing a bit and giving his creations more texture.

Like, if Captain Kidd was being designed for the PS2, it wouldn't have the little golden figurehead on it, and the worn off paint on the front would probably be more simplistic so it'd be easier to "read."
Carmen and Goemon can probably have such flowing and layered garments because that's something they can actually "afford" to model.

Stuff like that.

Setsu00

I see. I wonder if the similarity will be referenced somehow in the game.

Anyway, MC's Persona has the best design imo.

Anne also resembles Lisa and Ryuji (albeit to a lesser extent) Eikichi, all from P2IS. Those three characters also happen to have Personas who were killed.

Arséne's design is in line with most P4 designs, so I would assume that it appeals the most to those who came into the franchise with P4. Carmen, Goemon, Zorro and especially Captain Kidd are far more cartoony than what Persona had so far, and it's probably Soejima's way of establishing P5's visual identity.

Zolo

Quote from Gematsu:
But the main characters… are they thieves!?

Hashino: It’s interesting you refer to them in that way specifically because one of the things that inspired us to make this question to begin with was how, say, a classic, iconic thief in the vein of Lupin III might win the hearts and minds of people in today’s day and age if they were out running around today.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/02/persona-...acters-themes-development#is4YUWgOQBwuEVHo.99

Still undecided on how I should feel regarding the characters they based the Personas on. Well, if it's a "legend turns to myth" thing then it'll all turn out well. Besides, the story of Captain William Kidd fascinates me.

I still want Julie d'Aubigny for An, however. :(

Neoweee

Doesn't Carmen break the vigilante theme going on for the other four Personas revealed?

EDIT: Ah, she's technically the source Carmen, rather than the opera version that focuses only on the final act of the novella.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_(novella)

That's much more fitting for both the game and the theme of their Personas.

Lunar15

I think I prefer the sleeker, more mechanical designs of 3 and 4, but I still really love these. Arsene might be my favorite persona ever.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I really shouldn't have finished Persona 4 a few days ago. Big mistake, now i can't freakin wait for Persona 5 and we don't even have a release window for NA/EU yet... :/

Scipio

Pretty sure it's the opera

Seems like the theme for the Personas are literaly/b] characters. Hoping to see Sinbad or Aladdin.

Love the theme. They can go many ways. Certainly because they all are 'good criminals', which are often very gray characters (e.g. Carmen). I think Robin Hood is almost a given.

Neoweee

Love the theme. They can go many ways. Certainly because they all are 'good criminals', which are often very gray characters (e.g. Carmen). I think Robin Hood is almost a given.

There's also a nation of origin thing going on. So far there's Spanish, French, Scottish, Japanese, and American-ish, so they could be looking at other folklore/literary origins. It is a notable change from P3 (all Greek mythology) and P4 (all Japanese mythology). If that pattern is intentional, then Robin Hood would be good (English), and Sinbad OR Aladdin, but not both. That would put us at 7, all of different origins.

And likewise, the character outfits are all different archetypes of criminals, and the stylings of P4 Personas were each from a different television genre. Lots to speculate about.

RPG

Loving the art and theme for this game. Can't wait till next summer. Might have to finally return to P4G in the interim.

There's also a nation of origin thing going on. So far there's Italian, French, Scottish, Japanese, and Spanish/American, so they could be looking at other folklore/literary origins. It is a notable change from P3 (all Greek mythology) and P4 (all Japanese mythology). If that pattern is intentional, then Robin Hood would be good (English), and Sinbad OR Aladdin, but not both. That would put us at 7, all of different origins.

And likewise, the character outfits are all different archetypes of criminals, and the stylings of P4 Personas were each from a different television genre. Lots to speculate about.

Im sorry but what?

The character is spanish, no american to it, not even close. She is the classical version of a gypsy from Spain.
The only thing that is not from Spain, is the author, being Prosper Mérimée, that is french. And even then the story was told to him by a spanish countess.

wmlk

It might blow your mind, but you realize that One Piece is just referencing stuff that's even older and more well known right? :p

The same thing happens with Naruto especially since it drawn heavily from Japanese mythology. Suddenly, Naruto has influenced all other works in existence or something.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Is that a motherfucking giant buff ass cat version of Zorro or what? Daaayyyyyyyyyym. These all look fantastic. Goddamn the detail. Carmen has to be my favorite.

Neoweee

Im sorry but what?

The character is spanish, no american to it, not even close. She is the classical version of a gypsy from Spain.
The only thing that is not from Spain, is the author, being Prosper Mérimée, that is french. And even then the story was told to him by a spanish countess.

You totally missed what I was referring to, but I went back and fixed it the other mistake (which you missed). The Spanish/American thing was Zorro. I mistakenly referred to Carmen as being Italian rather than French.

Zorro's creator is American, but the story takes place in California under Spanish rule.

brinstar

Wow. The designs for this game are really something this time around. This might be the first Persona I really get into.

wmlk

Soejima has definitely upped his game when it comes to Persona designs since his last shot with Persona 4. He's really improving as an artist all of the time.

The designs are still too meticulously detailed from me compared to the relatively simple but more supernatural stuff in Kaneko's demon designs.

It's a shame Arsene will very likely be phased out after a few levels. Best Persona design to date. Soejima's stuff is my bread and butter. It just keeps getting better too.

DrArchon

Nice Personas. I love the contrast in designs from the ones in the previous games. Really helps give P5 even more character.

These are great, but the MC's persona has to be one of my favorite out of the series. Soejima has been killing it with the designs in the last few Persona's.

wmlk

One thing I really like is that they also make the backgrounds look animated instead of just the characters, which is oddly somewhat of a rarity in anime style games.

Other anime games have started imitating Persona's look, but Persona sets the standard.

rhandino

Banned
I love everything they have released from the game especially:

I really love her design so much, it's full of details and personality =3

One thing I really like is that they also make the backgrounds look animated instead of just the characters, which is oddly somewhat of a rarity in anime style games.
Oh yeah! It's kind of being bothering me how games that have beautiful character models and backgrounds can feel so lifeless...

You totally missed what I was referring to, but I went back and fixed it the other mistake (which you missed). The Spanish/American thing was Zorro. I mistakenly referred to Carmen as being Italian rather than French.

Zorro's creator is American, but the story takes place in California under Spanish rule.

Oh yes yes, then you are right. Sorry. Totally forgot about Morgana's character being El Zorro.
Yes El Zorro is an american living in spanish colonial California.

BTW Didnt know El Zorro's character was for public use already.

EDIT mmmm
Copyright and trademark disputes
Tessie Santiago as the Queen of Swords
The Mark of Zorro, starring Douglas Fairbanks, is out of copyright

The copyright and trademark status of the Zorro character and stories are disputed. Zorro Productions, Inc., asserts that it "controls the worldwide trademarks and copyrights in the name, visual likeness and the character of Zorro."[35] It further states "[t]he unauthorized, unlicensed use of the name, character and/or likeness of 'Zorro' is an infringement and a violation of state and federal laws."[36]

In 1999, TriStar Pictures Inc. sued Del Taco, Inc., due to a fast-food restaurant advertising campaign that allegedly infringed Zorro Productions’ claims to a trademark on the character of Zorro. In an August 1999 order, the court ruled that it would not invalidate Zorro Productions’ trademarks as a result of the defendant's arguments that certain copyrights in Zorro being in the public domain or owned by third parties.[37]

A dispute took place in the 2001 case of Sony Pictures Entertainment v. Fireworks Ent. Group.[38] On January 24, 2001, Sony Pictures, TriStar Pictures and Zorro Productions, Inc. sued Fireworks Entertainment, Paramount Pictures, and Mercury Entertainment, claiming that the Queen of Swords television series infringed upon the copyrights and trademarks of Zorro and associated characters. Sony and TriStar had paid licensing fees to Zorro Productions, Inc., related to the 1998 film The Mask of Zorro. Queen of Swords was a 2000–2001 television series set in Spanish California during the early 19th century and featuring a hero who wore a black costume with a red sash and demonstrated similarities to the character of Zorro, including the sword-fighting skills, use of a whip and bolas, and horse riding skills.

Zorro Productions, Inc., argued that it owned the copyright to the original character because Johnston McCulley assigned his Zorro rights to Mitchell Gertz in 1949. Gertz died in 1961, and his estate transferred to his children, who created Zorro Productions, Inc. Fireworks Entertainment argued that the original rights had already been transferred to Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. in 1920 and provided documents showing this was legally affirmed in 1929, and also questioned whether the copyright was still valid.

The court ruled that "since the copyrights in The Curse of Capistrano and The Mark of Zorro lapsed in 1995 or before, the character Zorro has been in the public domain".[39] Judge Collins also stated that: "Plaintiffs' argument that they have a trademark in Zorro because they licensed others to use Zorro, however, is specious. It assumes that ZPI had the right to demand licenses to use Zorro at all."

In another legal action in 2010, Zorro Productions, Inc., sued Mars, Incorporated, makers of M&M's chocolate candies, and ad agency BBDO Worldwide over a commercial featuring a Zorro-like costume.[40] The case was settled with "each party shall bear its own costs incurred in connection with this action, including its attorney’s fees and costs" on August 13, 2010.[41]

In March 2013, Robert W. Cabell, author of Z - the Musical of Zorro (1998), filed another lawsuit against Zorro Productions, Inc. The lawsuit asserted that the Zorro character is in the public domain and that the trademark registrations by Zorro Productions, Inc., are therefore fraudulent.[42] In October, 2014, Cabell’s lawsuit was dismissed, with the judge ruling that the state of Washington (where the case was filed) did not have jurisdiction over the matter.[43][44] However the judge later reversed his decision and had the case transferred to California.

Hope they dont get sued.

Azure J

Goddamn I love the visual design in this so much. My first Persona looking like so much fun off of that alone. Zorro is hilariously good.

Top Bottom