• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Ships 1.8 Million Worldwide

snap

Banned
I mean persona 4 was released not that long after 3.

That was before they realized they can milk the fanbase with spinoffs. And before making high quality AAA games got really expensive and time consuming. Not to mention the Persona team isn't even working on Persona right now.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Bu, but Michael Patcher told me not to care because some Xbone exclusive shooter will outsell it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

I don't know why people are so skeptical of SMT doing above expectatons on switch. I get it, i fully understand its not Persona...but depending on how Atlus market it, Switch gives franchises another audience to reconsider. When something like flippin bomberman blows up the charts after so many years, no one can say SMT doesn't have a chance to

I'm guessing the new Switch exclusive SMT 5 is gonna destroy this 2 million sales barometer whenever it releases. I want it on PS4 but i'm willing to buy it on Switch if that's not possible, and i'm not the only one by far
You don't need to wait to see if a big JRPG can achieve 2 million on Switch as Xenoblade 2 is right around the corner.

Inuhanyou

You don't need to wait to see if a big JRPG can achieve 2 million on Switch as Xenoblade 2 is right around the corner.

While your right, Xenoblade is a completely different situation from SMT, as Xenoblade X was hit and miss, and probably made some people skeptical of a new release. With that being said, i expect it to sell higher on a platform people are actually interested in by default than XBX

While your right, Xenoblade is a completely different situation from SMT, as Xenoblade X was hit and miss, and probably made some people skeptical of a new release. With that being said, i expect it to sell higher on a platform people are actually interested in by default than XBX
XBC2 will sell far better than a hypothetical SMT 5.

SMT has always been a niche even on the PS2 so I have no idea why you are under the impression that SMT 5 will be able to sell 2 million and above on Switch of all places.

Asd202

I don't know why people are so skeptical of SMT doing above expectatons on switch. I get it, i fully understand its not Persona...but depending on how Atlus market it, Switch gives franchises another audience to reconsider. When something like flippin bomberman blows up the charts after so many years, no one can say SMT doesn't have a chance to

You think a hardcore JRPG of a less popular franchise will easily "destroy" by far the highest selling launch of any Atlus game in history? Good luck with that.

SMT has always been a niche even on the PS2 so I have no idea why you are under the impression that SMT 5 will be able to sell 2 million and above on Switch of all places.

Eh I don't know about that Xenoblade never sold all that well.

Inuhanyou

By that definition XBC has also been niche since the Wii days. I'm not saying that the SMT franchise will suddenly be un niche, its that the audience will see the appeal of it with a new eye and a huge turnover in sales from a good marketing campaign. A lot of people were saying niche in regards to Crash as well, and are pretty silent now due to various factors

You think a hardcore JRPG of a less popular franchise will easily "destroy" by far the highest selling launch of any Atlus game in history? Good luck with that.

Well let look at the factors.

1. Its on a platform its home country takes to naturally

2. Its a franchise that has endured for generations

3. The fundamentals are strong

In all 3 of these cases, SMT Switch has the advantage on Persona 5. Literally the only thing P5 has in its selling potential favor is the dating sim aspect of the presentation that appeals to otaku.

You say SMT is a less popular franchise and of course it is...but maybe you have forgotten that before P5, Persona itself was not popular either outside of P4 Golden's rerelease and even that was just relatively speaking to the rest of the entrees. I would never discount the possibility of SMT5 pulling a P4 Golden or a P5 with its new advantages

DJChuy

You have a Mitsuru avatar... anything you say is automatically awesome. Be proud.

Mitsuru is the best waifu.

I contributed three of those 1.8 million of P5 (two TYH Edition and one standard). One is for collection while other one is to enjoy the goodies.

By that definition XBC has also been niche since the Wii days. I'm not saying that the SMT franchise will suddenly be un niche, its that the audience will see the appeal of it with a new eye and a huge turnover in sales from a good marketing campaign. A lot of people were saying niche in regards to Crash as well, and are pretty silent now due to various factors
Look. I can appreciate your enthusiasm for SMT but we know next to nothing for the actual game.

Meanwhile, we do know about XBC 2 and how it will look like, and I do see an appeal for it. The original XBC was a cult hit and it was clear that XBX will be a spin-off and not a continuation of the mainline game. I don't see it hurting any chances for XBC 2.

So looking at it this way, XBC 2 can prove to be a surprise hit on the Switch based on the same metric as you consider for SMT 5. Except the difference is that we have no idea what SMT 5 is actually going to be.

That was before they realized they can milk the fanbase with spinoffs. And before making high quality AAA games got really expensive and time consuming. Not to mention the Persona team isn't even working on Persona right now.
Persona isn't a "high quality AAA" series tho. But I agree with your other point about Atlus milking the fans with spin-offs.

Also, if Persona 6 tries to evolve the series' formula beyond what it has been for the past decade (P3-P5), then I expect its development to take quite a while.

LeonSPBR

Just got this for PS3, and it's so good. 50 hours in and loving it, just wish that the game stops the whole "talking with your friends and now you're tired for everything, good night.".

aadiboy

Persona 4 Golden sold better on Vita than SMT4 did on 3DS. I doubt SMT5 will beat Atlus' highest selling game ever. Plus SMT just isn't as popular as Persona, and I don't think the Nintendo audience really takes to games like that.

~Cross~

SMT would have to evolve into something different than SMT to sell more than Persona. Its not an issue of just marketing, SMT appeals to a different, more niche market than it.

HeelPower

Thats why the franchise needs to evolve and go action rpg route, or do something interesting with its turn based combat like cosmic star heroine or the trails series.

No they shouldnt.

The combat was fast,snappy and difficulty was engaging and well balanced.

ARPG is barbage button mashing most of the time and I'd rather focus on what they do well than enter territory they cant deal with(see FFXV)

Top Bottom