• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Ships 1.8 Million Worldwide

I think the series needs a sort of reboot/new direction. Kazuma is very popular in Japan, but at this point it has to be sort of a hindrance for a lot of people looking to "start" on the series, even with remasters of the original games available. Same problem with Kingdom Hearts, but that had a much larger overall base to start with.
Well, we are supposed to get that with the next game. Yakuza 6 is the end of Kazuma's story and it's already confirmed that the next game will feature a new protag and will most likely focus on a new and young Yakuza.

It's also said that they are looking into changing the series a bit, so the next game should be really interesting.

I can't help but feel the screenshot, gameplay recording and streaming restrictions might've hindered the games existence in public consciousness, that or Persona just like Yakuza is still very niche and there may exist a real aversion to the games graphical art style among western audiences. It certainly sold beneath my expectations considering the reviews, press and general sentiment people had toward the game being mostly positive. I don't know what kind of budget this game had but they had to have broken even and profited? I really hope they did, as a first time Persona player they certainly secured me as a fan and I'll be buying the next installment day one no questions asked. Persona 5 was an excellent game from start to finish.

The fact that you need 1.5 million sells to be the best selling title in Atlus' history tells you all you need to know about how big is Atlus and what is considered a success for them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Persona 6 gonna need to evolve as a game if it wants to grow out of being niche. Once Persona embraces open world action rpg it can reach greater heights.

No!!! not every damn game needs to go open world. As much as I loved Persona 5 I agree that they need to change the formula. just as Hashino changed formula once he took over, the new team also needs change formulas complete with new character design.

But i hope to god it dosent turn in to open world. this was my biggest issue with FFXV.
I would have rather FFXV was more like Xenoblade Chronicles. huge open area but still linear progression, that way it would feel much more like road trip because u still have to move on to new area or city to progress the story.

Also HELL NO to turning Persona to Action RPG. I LOVE Press turn battle system, I don't mind changing the formula just like Persona 3 did after Persona 2 but there no way in hell i want them to drop press turn. I rather Persona series stay niche than turn in to some thing worse.

DJChuy

Wow! Incredible numbers.

Hopefully this gives Atlus confidence in developing more PS4 games. I would love to see another mainline SMT console game, but don't see it happening.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The fact that you need 1.5 million sells to be the best selling title in Atlus' history tells you all you need to know about how big is Atlus and what is considered a success for them.

Still probably bigger than most JRPGs not named final fantasy honestly.

We still don't know if that's a mainline game. It probably is, but we'll see.

I mean the mainline SMTs were on the 3DS so I really see no reason why it wouldn't be mainline.

Wow! Incredible numbers.

Hopefully this gives Atlus confidence in developing more PS4 games. I would love to see another mainline SMT console game, but don't see it happening.
Wouldn't something like Persona 5 show that they have plenty of confidence in making PS4 games though? I mean, Persona is one of their more bigger series

Good numbers. Now if only Atlus was a better company, or one that isnt stuck in old japanese thinking, the number could've been a lot higher.
First thing that comes to mind: Multi-5 localization.

P5 probably had so much hype online because the Persona fanbase has a LOT of hardcore people, so it consisted majorly of people who engage a lot with the community and keep up with the news.

duckroll

If/when that happens, they need to also release it as an expansion for the owners of vanilla Persona 5. I don't want any part of of that Ultimate/Super bullshit that Capcom used to pull with their fighting games.

They already did that for Persona 3 way back before DLC was even a thing. Don't see any concern there.

DJChuy

Wouldn't something like Persona 5 show that they have plenty of confidence in making PS4 games though? I mean, Persona is one of their more bigger series

Well it did start off as a PS3 game. Though it did surprise me they announced P5 for the PS4. It's not something I expected from them.

jayu26

Well it did start off as a PS3 game. Though it did surprise me they announced P5 for the PS4. It's not something I expected from them.

I think Sony would have something to do with that. They were giddy about announcing the PS4 port in Japan.

They already did that for Persona 3 way back before DLC was even a thing. Don't see any concern there.

I see, that's good to know. Because after Persona 4 Golden not being on PS2 and SMT IV: Apocalypse* being an entirely new release, I was a little worried that they might try to sell a new revision of Persona 5 as a completely stand alone game.

I don't have a 3DS so forgive my ignorance if Apocalypse is a completely new game and not a revision of vanilla SMT: IV.

There is that but it only made sense to announce it for the PS4 as well as it was/is the new hot piece of tech everyone wanted/wants or does Atlus not typically do stuff like this for PlayStation? Admittedly, I have only played SMT IV, SMT IV: Apocalypse, and Persona 5 from them but it seems like they have a strong history on PlayStation

GNOSIS

Well deserved!

Still haven't finished it but I'm getting there. (55 hours so far.)

I really want them to make another one soon. Like 2 or 3 years soon. Please?

I see, that's good to know. Because after Persona 4 Golden not being on PS2 and SMT IV: Apocalypse* being an entirely new release, I was a little worried that they might try to sell a new revision of Persona 5 as a completely stand alone game.

I don't have a 3DS so forgive my ignorance if Apocalypse is a completely new game and not a revision of vanilla SMT: IV.

It's a direct sequel to the neutral path from the first of the two titles. I guess where it gets confusing is that you visit a lot of the same places and maps in Apocalypse.

aadiboy

Hopefully they sell the revision as DLC. And I've noticed that Atlus hasn't done revisions for games on consoles past DS. If I'm not mistaken, there aren't special editions of 3DS, PS3, Vita, or PS4 games along the lines of P4 Golden or P3:FES. SMT4A was a sequel and P4A: Ultimax was a sequel.

It's a direct sequel to the neutral path from the first of the two titles. I guess where it gets confusing is that you visit a lot of the same places and maps in Apocalypse.
Thank you for clarifying that. I though it might've been a definitive/extended version based on not having a IV-2 in the title. Adding subtitles to already released titles can be a bit confusing at times. (P4G being an extended version, while SMT:IV Apocalypse being a direct sequel)

snap

Banned
Well deserved!

Still haven't finished it but I'm getting there. (55 hours so far.)

I really want them to make another one soon. Like 2 or 3 years soon. Please?

hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

ha

you'll get a crimson update with new content in like five years and you'll like it

DJChuy

There is that but it only made sense to announce it for the PS4 as well as it was/is the new hot piece of tech everyone wanted/wants or does Atlus not typically do stuff like this for PlayStation? Admittedly, I have only played SMT IV, SMT IV: Apocalypse, and Persona 5 from them but it seems like they have a strong history on PlayStation

Persona 4 was released a few years after the PS3 was released, and P3 was released around the PS3 launch. I expected them to follow the same pattern with P5, so them announcing P5 for the PS4 so early in the console's life was surprising. With the constant delays, you could probably tell they weren't ready for it.

The SMT games were on the consoles, but they migrated to the DS/3DS. Don't blame them as they're more niche.

schaft0620

I think it would have doubled that had they dropped the 5 from the title to let newcomers know you didn't need to play 1-4, Sony had run TV ads and had it not come out so close to Horizon, Yakuza, GR2 and Zelda.

Mediking

Persona 4 was released a few years after the PS3 was released, and P3 was released around the PS3 launch. I expected them to follow the same pattern with P5, so them announcing P5 for the PS4 so early in the console's life was surprising. With the constant delays, you could probably tell they weren't ready for it.

The SMT games were on the consoles, but they migrated to the DS/3DS. Don't blame them as they're more niche.

You have a Mitsuru avatar... anything you say is automatically awesome. Be proud.

I NEVER buy turn based RPGs, unless its pokemon. Not a big fan of anime either. But I did get Persona 5 cause of the good word of mouth and I was looking for a long story driven game at the time. Loved it. Never finished, but really enjoyed the whole experience. Will get Persona 6 if I can.

Happy to read this, definitely my GOTY 2017.

However from reading GAF, quite a few of these 1.8 million won't be returning customers. The game is apparently not for everyone, not even for all Persona veterans.

I look forward to the two dozen spinoffs over the next few years.
Persona Q 2, with the cast of 4+5 would be amazing!

Ranma

i'm so happy for this result.
i've done my part: bought 3 copies of the game (1 standard ps4, 1 TYH Edition ps4 and 1 ps3 i gave to my sister in law as a gift)

now, atuls, it's time to release p4G and p3Fes/p (+FeMc) for Ps4 while developing P6...

come on

Antiwhippy

Yeah because they pull of a OoT here with engine and assets

I mean its fine in my book but i am not sure if they are gonna do this with 5

Why not?

I could totally see them doing it. Especially after the work they put into the demon models.

cheez124

congrats atlus, definitely well deserved! i absolutely loved P5, it's tied with BoTW for my GOTY so far. here's hoping it continues to sell well

now it's time to bring on the spinoffs, lol

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm guessing the new Switch exclusive SMT 5 is gonna destroy this 2 million sales barometer whenever it releases. I want it on PS4 but i'm willing to buy it on Switch if that's not possible, and i'm not the only one by far

duckroll

I'm guessing the new Switch exclusive SMT 5 is gonna destroy this 2 million sales barometer whenever it releases. I want it on PS4 but i'm willing to buy it on Switch if that's not possible, and i'm not the only one by far

Is there any sign that SMT is as appealing as Persona? I don't think people buy games blindly, and I don't think the main appeal of Persona is having SMT demons or being part of the SMT franchise brand. Unless SMT5 or whatever is a full character centric anime-fest with dating elements and attractive designs of a bunch of fetish personality tropes, I'm not quite seeing it.

Antiwhippy

Persona is by far more popular than SMT lol.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i've still to buy it. i'm not 100% sure if i'll enjoy it so i am quite hesitant about spending £45-55 on it. might wait for a sale. for what it's worth i played some of P4G on Vita and enjoyed it for the most part but eventually got bored of it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is there any sign that SMT is as appealing as Persona? I don't think people buy games blindly, and I don't think the main appeal of Persona is having SMT demons or being part of the SMT franchise brand. Unless SMT5 or whatever is a full character centric anime-fest with dating elements and attractive designs of a bunch of fetish personality tropes, I'm not quite seeing it.

Persona is by far more popular than SMT lol.

SMT apocalypse basically turned this on its head i think. If they want to turn SMT5 into animebait, they will surely do it. And its a big name JRPG on Switch pushed as an exclusive by Nintendo. I think just based on what we have seen so far in those parameters, that basically assures it will come out of the gate swinging. Switch more than any other platform outside of mobile has just the right ingredients for Japanese users to take interest in a game like this. I think not even 3DS has the potential Switch has, since it seems like its on its way out

Top Bottom