• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Ships 1.8 Million Worldwide

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'm guessing the new Switch exclusive SMT 5 is gonna destroy this 2 million sales barometer whenever it releases. I want it on PS4 but i'm willing to buy it on Switch if that's not possible, and i'm not the only one by far

....you have a "feeling" that a game we know nothing about will be Atlus best selling game ever ?

This post is a bit weird, we dont even know if its SMT V. I will agree that a higher budget mainline SMT would do quite well on Switch though - obv. not Persona level but really well. I think alot of fans have been waiting for the main series to make the jump to consoles/HD again.

I'm guessing the new Switch exclusive SMT 5 is gonna destroy this 2 million sales barometer whenever it releases. I want it on PS4 but i'm willing to buy it on Switch if that's not possible, and i'm not the only one by far

Not unless they start by branding it as persona 6 it isn't.

duckroll

SMT apocalypse basically turned this on its head i think. If they want to turn SMT5 into animebait, they will surely do it. And its a big name JRPG on Switch pushed as an exclusive by Nintendo. I think just based on what we have seen so far in those parameters, that basically assures it will come out of the gate swinging. Switch more than any other platform outside of mobile has just the right ingredients for Japanese users to take interest in a game like this. I think not even 3DS has the potential Switch has, since it seems like its on its way out

I don't think that's quite right. Persona's use of anime as a style has a lot to do with Hashino having a really good read on the pulse of the mainstream, especially the demographic Persona appeals to. It's pretty unique. There's a reason why SMT Apocalypse is considered mostly a sales disappointment. It did significantly worse than SMTIV in every region, even though that was less anime.

The Persona team isn't going to start making SMT games. The same people who made the Raidou games, Strange Journey, and both SMT4 games will continue to make SMT games. The appeal will be much more narrow, and I think there's zero reason to automatically assume that Persona blowing up even more than it already did, is going to benefit the next SMT game -that- much.

Greddleok

No, combat is by far one of P5 strongest aspects for me.

The formula outside of the combat has to change tho.

Really? The combat hasn't changed since P3. It's pretty bland combat propped up by incredible style.
In fact the whole game is style over substance. The story is immature, the combat is outdated and the music, art and creativity are all fantastic.

cj_iwakura

I don't think that's quite right. Persona's use of anime as a style has a lot to do with Hashino having a really good read on the pulse of the mainstream, especially the demographic Persona appeals to. It's pretty unique. There's a reason why SMT Apocalypse is considered mostly a sales disappointment. It did significantly worse than SMTIV in every region, even though that was less anime.

The Persona team isn't going to start making SMT games. The same people who made the Raidou games, Strange Journey, and both SMT4 games will continue to make SMT games. The appeal will be much more narrow, and I think there's zero reason to automatically assume that Persona blowing up even more than it already did, is going to benefit the next SMT game -that- much.

Apocalypse's shifts in tone were... questionable, but it definitely had the SMT feel more often than not, it really wasn't afraid to go for the jugular when shit got real. The gameplay balance was finally on point, too. Not quite SJ balance, but it never got too easy.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
....you have a "feeling" that a game we know nothing about will be Atlus best selling game ever ?

This post is a bit weird, we dont even know if its SMT V. I will agree that a higher budget mainline SMT would do quite well on Switch though - obv. not Persona level but really well. I think alot of fans have been waiting for the main series to make the jump to consoles/HD again.

I didn't say feeling, i said i guessed, there's no need for quotes lmao

But Atlus have gotten more and more mainstream and popular as time has gone on, what's so irrational about thinking a new Switch SMT could do the business?

But wasn't SMT Apocalypse's sales result more because of a combination of factors than the game simply not appealing to people's tastes? I mean them naming it SMT4 instead of just calling it a new game probably hurt it a lot in people's eyes thinking it a mere expansion on a game they already played

silva1991

Really? The combat hasn't changed since P3. It's pretty bland combat propped up by incredible style.
In fact the whole game is style over substance. The story is immature, the combat is outdated and the music, art and creativity are all fantastic.

Persona 5 was mentioned alot in a thread about best JRPG battle system last month(or was it early this month?), so you shouldn't be surprised to see it mentioned alot by many.

I love it and I consider it the most fun turnbased system by far for me.

Open world baby!

With so many invisible walls!

Should have known you weren't series :p

ToonLink

Congrats to the team. That's good to hear. I finally beat it over the weekend. I had some issues with the game and had to take a break a couple of times, but I enjoyed it a lot overall. Enough to start working on the plat.

cw_sasuke

I didn't say feeling, i said i guessed, there's no need for quotes lmao

But Atlus have gotten more and more mainstream and popular as time has gone on, what's so irrational about thinking a new Switch SMT could do the business?

No one is arguing that it couldnt do well for a SMT game. But cant you see how saying that a game we know nothing about on Switch will be able to outsell Atlus best selling game and IP on both platforms ?

I was really surprised to see how well SMT IV performed on the 3DS back then - especially in the US (thanks FE:Awakening/NoA). So i wouldnt be surprised if the IP makes another jump because i see those type of experiences performing better on Switch than on 3DS.

Lets just say your post would make a bit more sense if Atlus has just released a trailer for this game making it look like a first person dungeon crawler revelation everyone has been waiting for ...but for now, lets wait for more information.

Hektor

If they gonna put in some more waifu bait sure. If not, SMT will remain the even more niche franchise.

Yeah I definitely want all the dirty details on the "other" shameful jobs she has been doing to make money. /s

Same but without the "/s"

With so many invisible walls!

Should have known you weren't series :p

Lol, to be honest I'm not entirely sure where I would stand on it.

I think I'm just cynical about it- I know Atlus would never pull a FFXV because they don't have the resources or skillset, but I also think making it ARPG+Open World would bring in the big bucks like all the other ARPG+Open World

cw_sasuke

If they gonna put in some more waifu bait sure. If not, SMT will remain the even more niche franchise.

I dont think thats true, considering what they were able to sell on 3DS with SMTIV. The game used 2D sprites and they charged 50 bucks for the game initially. A current-era looking like SMT powered by UE4 for 60 bucks will likely reach more people than the 3DS games.

SMT has to be one the series that will get a mayor boost from switching to current-gen consoles...atmosphere and presentation wise there are many things possible on PS4/Switch, i think it will be able to appeal to a larger audience. Not Persona large...but larger. Especially if Nintendo pushes/publishes it like they were supposed to do at some point for SMT IV in europe before that fell flat.

cw_sasuke

Do we have any info about the PC release ?

There is no PC release planned as of now, but Sega has acknowledged that Persona is one of the series that people wanna see on PC after Valkyrie Chron, the Platinum Games titles etc. and they are looking into it.

I would hope that they would start with bringing Persona 3 and 4 ultimate versions to current-gen systems. Not having something like P3 Platinum/P4 Golden on Steam/PSN/XBL just seems crazy to me - lots of money left on the table.

Inuhanyou

There is no PC release planned as of now, but Sega has acknowledged that Persona is one of the series that people wanna see on PC after Valkyrie Chron, the Platinum Games titles etc. and they are looking into it.

I would hope that they would start with bringing Persona 3 and 4 ultimate versions to current-gen systems. Not having something like P3 Platinum/P4 Golden on Steam/PSN/XBL just seems crazy to me - lots of money left on the table.

I can at most see a Switch and PC release along with PS4....but i don't see why any dev in Japan would consider Xbox if they haven't already

Lynx_7

Lol, to be honest I'm not entirely sure where I would stand on it.

I think I'm just cynical about it- I know Atlus would never pull a FFXV because they don't have the resources or skillset, but I also think making it ARPG+Open World would bring in the big bucks like all the other ARPG+Open World
Please no. If they want their ARPG Open Wprld bait, they have a perfectly viable candidate in Studio Zero's medieval new IP. No need to ruin any existing franchises.

I actually wouldn't mind open world on mainline SMT though. Well, not necessarily open world, but a "real scale" Tokyo to explore.

cw_sasuke

I can at most see a Switch and PC release along with PS4....but i don't see why anyone in Japan would consider Xbox if they haven't already

No need to get into specifics, you get that my point is bringing those 3D Persona titles to current-gen systems....Steam/PSN/eShop/XBL wherever they see their potential audience. Especially after P4Golden was a top seller for so long on Vita.

Glad to see that at least Bamco is embracing Steam with most of their titles - Sega will get there as well, even if it takes some longer with Atlus related content.

Nice to see Persona hitting the big time though I really think they understocked it in a major way, the launch edition here was sold out on the first day and people had to wait 6 weeks for the regular edition to arrive.
Though given its reviews and timeless nature I'd think it will continue to sell steadily throughout the console generation, I can't see another rpg besting it for the greatest of the gen.

Inuhanyou

No need to get into specifics, you get that my point is bringing those 3D Persona titles to current-gen systems....Steam/PSN/eShop/XBL wherever they see their potential audience. Especially after P4Golden was a top seller for so long on Vita.

Glad to see that at least Bamco is embracing Steam with most of their titles - Sega will get there as well, even if it takes some longer with Atlus related content.

Atlus already had a Japanese only questionnaire relating to bringing P3 and P4 to PS4, so they have likely been considering it for a while

Considering how many things P5 brought back from the older games (demon negotiation, guns, spells types (nuclear, etc)) and new twists like batton pass, saying that it hasn't changed since P3 is ridiculous.
And what exactly about it is bland or outdated? After P5 most turn based rpgs almost put me to sleep.

Also, lol at the open world ARPG posts, assuming they're not sarcasm.

Rflagg

It is a great game glad it is doing well.

The calendar is still my least favorite part of modern Persona, but with the mini deadlines it was not near as stressful wondering if I should be working towards beating the game instead of some social activity.

RalchAC

The story being juvenile (I think that suits it more than inmature) is part of the point. It's about a bunch of angry butthurt teenagers getting superpowers and using them to fight the same people in positions of power that have screwed them by changing their hearts. So it'd be weird if they didn't act as angry butthurt teenagers most of the game.

So I wouldn't say that's a bad thing. Just something you didn't like.

Parsnip

Very nice.
Haven't bought it yet since I don't own a system that can play it.

Well, I guess technically I do own a PS3, but I don't have a working gamepad for it so it's a moot point.

Some day...

silva1991

Considering how many things P5 brought back from the older games (demon negotiation, guns, spells types (nuclear, etc)) and new twists like batton pass, saying that it hasn't changed since P3 is ridiculous.
And what exactly about it is bland or outdated? After P5 most turn based rpgs almost put me to sleep.

Also, lol at the open world ARPG posts, assuming they're not sarcasm.

Yeah. P5 is a huge improvement over P3 and 4 in many ways

- guns and it's unlockable mechanics
- baton pass
- characters switching
- demon negotiation during battle
- using nuke and psy strategically to deal boosted damage

etc etc

P3 wishes it had as good combat.

No, combat is by far one of P5 strongest aspects for me.

The formula outside of the combat has to change tho.

Regular enounters
R1 + x
Repeat 2-3 times
All out attack or baby's first negotiation gameplay

Boss fights
Buff
Attack boss
Heal
Repeat

Might as well go the ffxiii route and just give me an auto win button.

Mediking

Regular enounters
R1 + x
Repeat 2-3 times

Boss fights
Buff
Attack boss
Heal
Repeat

This is REALLY not fair and super generalizing. There ARE tense fights in Persona.

This is REALLY not fair and super generalizing. There ARE tense fights in Persona.

Oh I didn't get a back attack advantage, enemy gets a turn, hopefully he doesn't get a random crit on joker and one round him and send me back 20 minutes since my 3 allies are all too stupid to function without him. That's some tense shit right there.

You just generalised every turn based combat system. Well done.

Thats why the franchise needs to evolve and go action rpg route, or do something interesting with its turn based combat like cosmic star heroine or the trails series.

Mediking

Oh I didn't get a back attack advantage, enemy gets a turn, hopefully he doesn't get a random crit on joker and one round him and send me back 20 minutes since my 3 allies are all too stupid to function without him. That's some tense shit right there.

Thats why the franchise needs to evolve and go action rpg route, or do something interesting with its turn based combat like cosmic star heroine or the trails series.

You just breezed through all those boss fights in Persona games, huh? They're soooooo easyyyyyy. Lmao c'mon. Stop.

Greddleok

The story being juvenile (I think that suits it more than inmature) is part of the point. It's about a bunch of angry butthurt teenagers getting superpowers and using them to fight the same people in positions of power that have screwed them by changing their hearts. So it'd be weird if they didn't act as angry butthurt teenagers most of the game.

So I wouldn't say that's a bad thing. Just something you didn't like.

My problem isn't the teenagers, it's the moustache twirling bad guys. There's no grey areas, the bad guys are all pure evil. It's boring and childish. The phantom thieves have no decisions to make, because the path is so clear - each bad guy is super bad.

Its like you have no idea of the appeal of turn based systems: the tactics involved. Its like card games (predicting turns, making moves that will be carried in numerous turns etc).

Action systems have nothing like that.

ethomaz

Banned
Given the front loaded nature of game sales and no serious dlc expansions announced thusfar : not happening without a golden version.
I did not buy it yet :p

I'm actually playing Trails of Cold Steal Vita and FFVII PS4... so I just delay my purchase for some weeks.

Mediking

My problem isn't the teenagers, it's the moustache twirling bad guys. There's no grey areas, the bad guys are all pure evil. It's boring and childish. The phantom thieves have no decisions to make, because the path is so clear - each bad guy is super bad.

Replay the amazing Kamoshida arc and say again there wasn't a consequence possibility.
Its like you have no idea of the appeal of turn based systems: the tactics involved. Its like card games (predicting turns, making moves that will be carried in numerous turns etc).

Action systems have nothing like that.

*nods head in respect and shakes your hand*

NSESN

Regular enounters
R1 + x
Repeat 2-3 times

Boss fights
Buff
Attack boss
Heal
Repeat

Some boss fights are actually pretty good. But yeah the normal fights get boring really quick.

RalchAC

Regular enounters
R1 + x
Repeat 2-3 times

Boss fights
Buff
Attack boss
Heal
Repeat

There is no difference between Persona 5 and 3/4 but the fact that you don't need to scroll through your list of Personas to find the attack your enemy is weak at. I don't understand the complain. Battles are tough when your information about the enemy is limited and you don't know how to properly deal with them. The longer a fight gets the chance to get killed is higher. Because you're letting your enemies find your weakness, use status aliments or (the horror) cast an instakill spell on your MC. That's the time when you need to be careful and think about your next move.

Once you figure out said enemy, fights are much easier. And, if they're going to be easier anyway, allowing me to finish them in less than 10 seconds is actually a plus in my book. Because it actually shows some kind of "progression" and makes you feel like a badass thief. When I played Horizon, which is an action games, the first few fights were always the toughest. By the end of the game, I knew how to deal with most machines fast, easily and without risk. Translating that feeling to a turn based game was a cool thing in my book.

Furthermore, from the 4th dungeon onward there are enemies that have no weakness at all. In those battles you have to be a bit more creative. Again, battling against those gets easier once you sort out a strategy that works with them. The same as above applies again.

After a full playthrough, I had used: buffs, debuffs, status aliments and its associated elements, the whole set of weaknesses, physichal skills and Haru's support skills. Persona 5 may not be videogame chess, or the toughest turn based RPG ever conceived by mankind, but I'd say it's definitely above average.

Soar

Happy with this news, really enjoyed my playthrough, even if I took 3 months to do it. Playing 4G now, I really missed the improved battle system and the dungeons even.

I don't get why folks who hate turn based systems are complaining about this game. It's like hating ARPGs and saying all one does is dodgerollattackwin.

emalord

"Turn-based is old and unappealing"

Well done Atlus!

Partially true btw
I left the game after 10h bored to death but as a gamer I was happy to pay to allow this niche to survive and evolve to appeal future generations
so yeah, well done Atlus

mejin

Atlus should focus on the new projects IMO. Don't care if they continue to focus sony and/or nintendo platforms. They should just stay true to themselves if that's what it takes for them to make games we all love.

Top Bottom