• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Ships 1.8 Million Worldwide

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dose the 1.5 million including PC version as well? I know P5 also had PS3 version but think most that games sale came from the PS4 version.

When that was announced the PC version is at 300,000 or so.

PC version is at 500,000 now. Despite being a bad port lol.

Banned
I can't help but feel the screenshot, gameplay recording and streaming restrictions might've hindered the games existence in public consciousness, that or Persona just like Yakuza is still very niche and there may exist a real aversion to the games graphical art style among western audiences. It certainly sold beneath my expectations considering the reviews, press and general sentiment people had toward the game being mostly positive. I don't know what kind of budget this game had but they had to have broken even and profited? I really hope they did, as a first time Persona player they certainly secured me as a fan and I'll be buying the next installment day one no questions asked. Persona 5 was an excellent game from start to finish.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
When that was announced the PC version is at 300,000 or so.

PC version is at 500,000 now. Despite being a bad port lol.

Its kind of blowing my mind how well Nier Automata selling but at same time make me wonder why Square not supporting this game by fixing the PC version? Drakengard 3 sold poorly so i can understand why they never going bother fixing that but we can all agree Nier doing damn well here.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I can't help but feel the screenshot, gameplay recording and streaming restrictions might've hindered the games existence in public consciousness, that or Persona just like Yakuza is still very niche and there may exist a real aversion to the games graphical art style among western audiences. It certainly sold beneath my expectations considering the reviews, press and general sentiment people had toward the game being mostly positive. I don't know what kind of budget this game had but they had to have broken even and profited? I really hope they did, as a first time Persona player they certainly secured me as a fan and I'll be buying the next installment day one no questions asked. Persona 5 was an excellent game from start to finish.

Its Atlus' best selling title ever.

I'm more of a box office person than video game sales, but why does this strike me as... nothing to write home about? Like, sure, I guess it's the best selling Persona game, but with all the hype, with the 60 million PS4s out there, 5m of which are in Japan, under 2m WW sounds more actively bad than it sounds "pretty good." ???

How much can the "anime JRPG niche" excuse carry you in terms of a game not selling well?
It has sold well.

Usobuko

Banned
It's the best selling title for Atlus but it's still low in my opinion. I hope this and NieR could reach 3M LTD eventually without any new release.

SlickVic

Persona 5 isn't the first game I've sunk over a hundred hours into, but I'd say there's only a few other games that have kept my interest that long. Well deserved.

Since you are a box office guy, think of P5 as a Hidden Figures type of success. Fairly small box office relative to the successful tentpoles, but hugely profitable based on the budget

But like, my apparent disconnect here is that with all the internet hype surrounding the game I thought it would be a lot more popular. Seems like it must have been overhyped. Nioh has probably sold as much or more at this point, and literally nobody talks about that game at all.

Soar

But like, my apparent disconnect here is that with all the internet hype surrounding the game I thought it would be a lot more popular. Seems like it must have been overhyped. Nioh has probably sold as much or more at this point, and literally nobody talks about that game at all.

I think context, and historical datatrends are important. It's still niche but the fans are really passionate what with art, cosplay and music so that tends to get a lot of exposure within the circles.

For what it's worth , on a personal level I bought a ps4pro purely to play P5, Nier and Nioh, and this is my first game console. All because I discovered Gaf. No regrets!

Not sure if the Nioh bit is true (I could only find that sales for it topped 1 mil), but JRPGs in general are very over-represented in the hardcore gaming bubble.

Impressive. I hope they can give us P3/P4 as PS2 classics or hell if it's not too much an HD collection of those 2 on PS4 would make wait for the next Persona/Hashino title less painful .

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Not sure if the Nioh bit is true (I could only find that sales for it topped 1 mil), but JRPGs in general are very over-represented in the hardcore gaming bubble.

I think it's more of a disconnect from the initial hype to release. I think the delays did affect it a bit, because at its initial release date we were thinking it could blow up relative to the PS4's library at the time.

I'm more of a box office person than video game sales, but why does this strike me as... nothing to write home about? Like, sure, I guess it's the best selling Persona game, but with all the hype, with the 60 million PS4s out there, 5m of which are in Japan, under 2m WW sounds more actively bad than it sounds "pretty good." ???

How much can the "anime JRPG niche" excuse carry you in terms of a game not selling well?
Don't compare this to huge AAA releases that have to sell millions of copy to simply break even. These numbers for Persona 5 (and the 1.5 million figure for Nier Automata) are incredible achievements for AA Japanese titles.

To put it into perspective, Sega was happy and considered it a success when the western version of Yakuza 0 did 100k. Now obviously Persona 5 is a very different game that was made with a different budget and expectations than Yakuza 0, but you get the overall point.

So, the 1.8 mil figure might look "bad" if you compare it against giant AAA games, but for smaller Japanese titles, that's a huge success.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Atlus's sales targets have never been high for those people saying this is not impressive. As someone else said, this is already by far Atlus's highest selling game in all of their years they have been around. But i do think they definitely could have done things to increase that, even just talking about only on PS3/4. The debacle in the west didn't help

RiverKwai

To put it into perspective, Sega was happy and considered it a success when the western version of Yakuza 0 did 100k. Now obviously Persona 5 is a very different game that was made with a different budget and expectations than Yakuza 0, but you get the overall point.

I just had to go check this and worldwide sales estimates for Yakuza 0 are at like 380k.

My game of the year so far. lol

randomkid

It's their best-selling game of all time, but it's also gotta be far and away their most expensive game of all time to develop. That's what six years and all that production value will get ya. Still, this is definitely a good result and it will sell more digitally over time after the bigger discounts hit.

I just had to go check this and worldwide sales estimates for Yakuza 0 are at like 380k.

My game of the year so far. lol
Yet, Yakuza 0 is most likely the best selling entry in the entire series. I've posted this before, but these are the NPD numbers for other Yakuza games.

Yakuza ~56k
Yakuza 2 ~24k
Yakuza 3 ~50k
Yakuza 4 ~20/30k
Yakuza Dead Souls ~6k

So yeah.... I truly think that those 1.8 mil for Persona 5 and 1.5 mil for Nier, are very impressive.

duckroll

Yet, Yakuza 0 is most likely the best selling entry in the entire series. I've posted this before, but these are the NPD numbers for other Yakuza games.

Yakuza ~56k
Yakuza 2 ~24k
Yakuza 3 ~50k
Yakuza 4 ~20/30k
Yakuza Dead Souls ~6k

So yeah....

Only in the US, which obviously means jack shit, considering Yakuza used to sell over 500k in just Japan. Series is basically dying. While Persona is growing.

Edit: Actually it can't even be best selling in the US if the worldwide number is 380k lmao. It sold 350k in Japan...

Only in the US, which obviously means jack shit, considering Yakuza used to sell over 500k in just Japan. Series is basically dying. While Persona is growing.
True. But still, it put things into perspective.

After seeing those numbers, I think people will get a better idea of why that 1.8 mil figure is such an impressive feat for a mid-tier Japanese game like Persona 5.

Edit: Actually it can't even be best selling in the US if the worldwide number is 380k lmao. It sold 350k in Japan...
Nagoshi confirmed a while back that the western version had done 100k. I don't know where did that poster get the 380k number.

duckroll

True. But still, it put things into perspective.

After seeing those numbers, I think people will get a better idea of why that 1.8 mil figure is such an impressive feat for a mid-tier Japanese game like Persona 5.

Persona 5 is dubbed in English. Yakuza is now sub only right? That's gotta be a huge hit on the chance for it to expand.

Persona 5 is dubbed in English. Yakuza is now sub only right? That's gotta be a huge hit on the chance for it to expand.
Yeah. The only Yakuza game with a dub was Yakuza 1 and that wasn't a good dub. And yes, I think that's part of the reason why the series has remained extremely niche.

It's too late for Kiwami and 6, but maybe they can give dubbing another shot for that new Yakuza game that RGG studio is working on. Especially if it's supposed to be a new kind of Yakuza.

RiverKwai

So the "sales estimates" I was looking at ended up being from banned source hidden by layers of "reporting". Sorry.

Apparently Yakuza 0 SOLD IN more than 500k in Asia per SEGA, plus whatever they got from the western release.

Still, like we're talking maybe 700k.

duckroll

Yeah. The only Yakuza game with a dub was Yakuza 1 and that wasn't a good dub. And yes, I think that's part of the reason why the series has remained extremely niche.

It's too late for Kiwami and 6, but maybe they can give dubbing another shot for that new Yakuza game that RGG studio is working on. Especially if it's supposed to be a new kind of Yakuza.

I think the series needs a sort of reboot/new direction. Kazuma is very popular in Japan, but at this point it has to be sort of a hindrance for a lot of people looking to "start" on the series, even with remasters of the original games available. Same problem with Kingdom Hearts, but that had a much larger overall base to start with.

It's a geek thing and the internet leans geeky, especially communities like GAF where JPRGs are still relatively popular. I think a good comparison to film box office would be John Wick. When you enter communities leaned towards action films, movies like that are highly regarded as the best recent films in the genre. It didn't even break $100m box office, but it was successful enough launch a franchise and the directing career of David Leitch. People still talk about John Wick, but few talk about The Equalizer, which came out the same month and made significantly more money.

Persona 6 gonna need to evolve as a game if it wants to grow out of being niche. Once Persona embraces open world action rpg it can reach greater heights.

Persona 6 gonna need to evolve as a game if it wants to grow out of being niche. Once Persona embraces open world action rpg it can reach greater heights.

TDL5LEQ.gif

Top Bottom