• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Kthulhu

After seeing all the Confidants, I can say that Makoto is the definitive choice. The pre Palace 4 stuff sealed the deal for me.

Also, I really can't go after Becky. The whole affair seems totally immoral and despite her story, she is essentially a gold digger...

I don't know much about her, but the idea of dating your teacher, while hot AF in this fictional setting, is super unprofessional IRL, so it's a bit of a turn off for me.

I know, it just gives me a bit of pause.

I know, it's just normally in games like this that have options I never really think too much about it. I mean, if you think about any of the links realistically it's sketchy because you're basing them on your own ideals since the MC is a blank slate so you're essentially going "Which underage girl do I want to be romantic with?" or even "Which adult would I want to get charged with statutory?" No matter how you look at most of the romances for an adult playing these games it'd be weird so you just sorta roll with it and don't see it as an accurate approximation of your love life and how you'd be in real life.

It's why a lot of us can creep on some of the designs or bodies of the characters and not be that kind of person at all in real life.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know much about her, but the idea of dating your teacher, while hot AF in this fictional setting, is super unprofessional IRL, so it's a bit of a turn off for me.

It's super unprofessional in the story too. You spend like 6 hours taking down a guy that's been sleeping with students and then the game turns around and gives you that options.

With more consent, sure, but you're still underage (I think, I'm not 100% sure about Japanese consent laws).

mdubs

Banned
I know, it's just normally in games like this that have options I never really think too much about it. I mean, if you think about any of the links realistically it's sketchy because you're basing them on your own ideals since the MC is a blank slate so you're essentially going "Which underage girl do I want to be romantic with?" or even "Which adult would I want to get charged with statutory?" No matter how you look at most of the romances for an adult playing these games it'd be weird so you just sorta roll with it and don't see it as an accurate approximation of your love life and how you'd be in real life.

It's why a lot of us can creep on some of the designs or bodies of the characters and not be that kind of person at all in real life.

I don't know about others, but when I play these games I look at the character as a complete separation from myself. The character in the game is his own person, except I happen to be making decisions for him. So I'm more going "I want my dude to wife up Ann" rather than "I want to wife up Ann".

Having progressed further with the teacher's slink, even if you don't romance her it gets rather weird--and kinda funny--you start out paying her to do your laundry and stuff and
soon she's making lockpicks and flashbangs for you for free in your room in her maid clothes. She's a servant you don't need to pay.

And also how she actively fucks up her colleagues' lectures just so the protagonist can have more free time in class. She's just a terrible teacher all around.
That's why she's perfect.

That's very light shipping of innocent girl and misunderstanding.

Motherfucking mc dropped his jaw on the floor when he met Ann, and it was animated.

Anime= true waifu
That scene was animated only because they didn't have money to do the rest

Does anyone know what happens if you have no girlfriend come Christmas / Valentine's Day?

Well ... on valentines ..
Ryuji is pissed off that he didn't get anything but still more pissed that futaba gave a present to yusuke.
It's not a great event , IMO.

It's super unprofessional in the story too. You spend like 6 hours taking down a guy that's been sleeping with students and then the game turns around and gives you that options.

With more consent, sure, but you're still underage (I think, I'm not 100% sure about Japanese consent laws).
To be fair the game doesn't suggest Kamoshida is bad because he is having consensual relations with students, it's because he's
raping and harassing them.

I don't know about others, but when I play these games I look at the character as a complete separation from myself. The character in the game is his own person, except I happen to be making decisions for him. So I'm more going "I want my dude to wife up Ann" rather than "I want to wife up Ann".

If he had more character or you were allowed to make more than 3 choices that do not influence anything, moreso akin to a Mass Effect or...I dunno, Planescape I'd 100% agree with you.

But as a silent protag jRPG non-entity I don't really play him as a character or think what would be best for him. I also don't really self-insert, but that's a me thing.

To be fair the game doesn't suggest Kamoshida is bad because he is having consensual relations with students, it's because he's
raping and harassing them.

Exactly , the main problem was
the rape , the pressure and the manipulations involved
, our beloved teacher doesn't do any of that

Kthulhu

I believe the age of consent in most of Japan is 16-18.

mdubs

Banned
If he had more character or you were allowed to make more than 3 choices that do not influence anything, moreso akin to a Mass Effect or...I dunno, Planescape I'd 100% agree with you.

But as a silent protag jRPG non-entity I don't really play him as a character or think what would be best for him. I also don't really self-insert, but that's a me thing.

To me, he has more of an actual character in a way then Shepard did in Mass Effect since there is comparably less player influence in shaping MC's character compared to what you can do in Mass Effect, so that comes to my mind.

Funnily enough, I do think P5MC has a distinct personality especially when you compared the inherent personalities of the P4 and P3 MCs. In P3, he is very apathetic in his responses to thing, while in P4 he is more of a caring people pleaser in the range of responses given to us as players. In P5, he's much more flippant and has a bit of an attitude at times, which I think is fun.

Yeah, it's not 1-to-1, but it's still too gross for me.
Oh I understand, and honestly I agree, I wouldn't romance the teacher or any of the adult women seeing as the MC is underage. I just don't think the Japanese see it the same way westerners typically see it...or maybe they do, and this is the typical predatory if it's an adult man/female student, but hot if it's adult woman/male student double standard.

BLCKATK

Really enjoying the social links this time around. First time I've ever been indecisive on the relationships too.

All the party member girls are great, Makoto especially.

But the teacher has this weird allure. I thought it was REALLY weird at first, but as I've done the S.Link, I've become more intrigued.

What's Akira gonna do??

Watched through the Links online. If I had to rank the Love Interests it'd probably go:

Makoto > Hifumi > Tae > Futaba* > Ann > Chifuyu > Haru > Chihiya > Ohya > Kawakami*

Kawakami actually has a really great backstory, but I'm totally against her being a love interest for reasons explained below. With Futaba, I also really like her progression, but she gives me little sister-vibes.

Also, I really can't go after Becky. The whole affair seems totally immoral and despite her story, she is essentially a gold digger...

I just find it really uncharacteristically stupid. "Ok, I just overcame this one scandal that could've potentially ruined my career. Sure, I'll just go ahead and date my student now." I feel like here, the Wish-fulfillment overrided any actual logic.

I was into Hifumi until a couple of interactions in. I find her to be quite boring.

So far, Ann is still best girl, but I'm waiting for Haru. I really dig her design.

Yeah hifumi had a solid design but god her story was boring. Still went rank 10 because of the perks being worth it. I'm not the biggest fan of haru since she has little time to leave an impression and she's pretty quite in comparison to the rest of the party. Is a great party member in combat though.

When persona 5 gets spin offs and those games hint that Ann is canon love interest the way persona 3 and 4 spin offs hinted at yukari and rise the only people surprised will be priestess arcana fans who seem to get baited every game :p

Well the student is also the same person who got her out of the scandal.

True, but I still can't shake the feeling of how irresponsible it still is on her part.

When persona 5 gets spin offs and those games hint that Ann is canon love interest the way persona 3 and 4 spin offs hinted at yukari and rise the only people surprised will be priestess arcana fans who seem to get baited every game :p

Both Arena and Q hint that the "canon" is the P4 MC not hooking up with anyone though.

etrain911

Is there an event that makes you settle on one romance or are you free to romance everyone? As a poly person, P4 really resonated with me due to not penalizing me for romancing everyone.

Is there an event that makes you settle on one romance or are you free to romance everyone? As a poly person, P4 really resonated with me due to not penalizing me for romancing everyone.

You cop it emotionally on 1 specific day
Valentine's
same as P4Golden, otherwise you're free to do as you wish.

Given that I played Tokyo playa in the JP version I gotta ask if anybody knows the answer or not.

Does the confrontation only happen if you romance EVERY girl? Can I skip like,
Becky and Hifumi and reporter girl amd then pick who to spend the day with an avoid the funny, but already done event?

Also cool more poly people on GAF.

Given that I played Tokyo playa in the JP version I gotta ask if anybody knows the answer or not.

Becky and Hifumi and reporter girl amd then pick who to spend the day with an avoid the funny, but already done event?

I don't know from experience but what I've heard is that it happens if you romance any more than one (IIRC you could skip it in Golden by not accepting any
Valentine's Day
invitations not sure if that applies here too. It just gets super long if you've romanced a whole bunch.

Man, the more I play the more I lean towards Ann even though that ship has sailed. Kinda surprising.

Also mostly appearance related. She's bangin'

Happens regardless. Lovers > 1 = PATH OF DESTRUCTION

Kurumi

Yep. I fucked up by not choosing "It isn't a joke" at the end. That really sucks that you get completely locked out of the romance option for choosing even one dialogue choice wrong.

Top Bottom