• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

That's her main selling point - it's hard to forget her trying to
spy on you from behind a manga everywhere you went
; or her being
scared inside the Sakura residence
and
jabbing Yusuke
afterwards; or her
hacking her sister's computer and keeping her busy
after getting Futaba later on in the story.

She has a ton of great moments.
Wait what?
She follows you around while hiding behind a manga?
When?

I can't believe I never noticed this.

Aki-at

See, Ryuji's the most obvious one who did this, but I've started to really dislike that he's the only one that gets called out on it. They basically all had moments where they'd say they were the Phantom Thieves, or strongly allude to it, whether it be on the train, their shitty "hideout" in the passageway, etc.

Oh if I could I'd have called Ann out on it too!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think it would have made more sense for them to verbally have a codename for the group. Like they did it with their names already, lol.

Yusuke and Makoto make the same mistakes too.

I can't understand why they thought the meeting at the train station was a good idea.

Basically everyone except the MC and Morgana screw up on this at one point. It's why I don't give Ryuji that much shit about it. He does slip more often than the others though.

Aki-at

Yusuke and Makoto make the same mistakes too.

I can't understand why they thought the meeting at the train station was a good idea.

By this point of the story I stopped caring and wanted Akechi to catch me because of how lax the group was (especially after Makoto already caught on once)

And yes I did go with the
"Ryuji is a phantom thief"
answer.

Operation harem complete!

Now to choose the winner at the end

Deciding between Futaba and Haru, their romances felt the most natural and well written.

It sucks that Haru joins so late, there's all that time over summer break that they could have used to introduce her earlier so we could see her more in the story.

If she had as many moments as Makoto does in the main story, I have no doubt many more people would fall for her than already have.

RalchAC

By this point of the story I stopped caring and wanted Akechi to catch me because of how lax the group was (especially after Makoto already caught on once)

And yes I did go with the
"Ryuji is a phantom thief"
answer.

Me too. Trolling Akechi is the best.

duckroll

Basically everyone except the MC and Morgana screw up on this at one point. It's why I don't give Ryuji that much shit about it. He does slip more often than the others though.

Morgana only fails to screw up because no one can hear him talk. It's not fair. In Palaces he screws up just as much by going into TREASURE HUMPING MODE at the worst times. :p

Astral

I just got to the 5th Palace and everyone says Haru joins you so late into the game? Aren't there like
three
more palaces? She doesn't seem to join any later than Naoto did in 4.

I just got to the 5th Palace and everyone says Haru joins you so late into the game? Aren't there like
three
correct, but Naoto had a much larger presence in the story before joining.

Plus in Golden Naoto gets 4 dungeons to participate.

three

The difference was for me that naoto was shown throughout so her character was slowly built up. Most of haru character development was relegated to her social link. She's good but she really doesn't have anyone she bounces off the way yusuke does with futaba and ryuji with Ann.

Astral

That's true. Makoto for example had a strong presence before becoming a party member. Haru has just made where's Waldo type cameos until the end of August.

That's true. Makoto for example had a strong presence before becoming a party member. Haru has just made where's Waldo type cameos until the end of August.

That's a big reason her popularity is so low. If she was more like Naoto and showed up more (or earlier) it'd be easier for a lot of people - myself included - to pick her.

LotusHD

Banned
Yea, like if Haru was officially introduced late, but had gotten periodical attention similar to what Makoto got before she became a Phantom Thief, people would complain far less. Another good example was Futaba, where you had never met her before, but they focused on her greatly before she joined the team.

Meanwhile, Haru's just kinda there, you rarely interact with her beforehand. Suddenly you find yourself going into the palace associated with her, and it feels more like a rushed obligation rather than something more organic.

Toki767

With Haru, I also feel like they designed the Palace first and then designed her character.

Unlike the rest where it felt more like they designed the characters and then the Palace.

She just comes across as a complete afterthought to me.

I just lost a lot of money.

May want to hold onto that - I'm stuck at Makoto's "I'll be your study partner." screen and seesawing between the two in my head.

Makoto had the best moments before this in-story, whereas Haru has the better/cuter future side-story, with her
Cafe
. Not to mention Makoto seems like she'll be fine without the MC, whereas Haru would prefer/need the support. (Feels a bit like I'm being guilted into the latter though...)

Props, Persona 5 - didn't think I'd have this much of an issue deciding...

Makoto is easy to turn down

Girl asks me to help her hang out and find out what normal people do for fun

Then she
drags me around taking care of her stupid friend and never really learns what it means to have a normal high school life

Any relationship with Makoto is gonna end with her fairly successful but she'll probably never be home cause of work.

Aki-at

I wasn't into telling him to get lost. It's just too direct. I'd have liked more sassy ones, like what you put behind spoiler tags.

Oh his reactions are pretty funny to it, such disappointment is Haru level. But I would be down for an expanded version with more funny interactions with Akechi :p

May want to hold onto that - I'm stuck at Makoto's "I'll be your study partner." screen and seesawing between the two in my head.

Makoto had the best moments before this in-story, whereas Haru has the better/cuter future side-story, with her
Cafe
. Not to mention Makoto seems like she'll be fine without the MC, whereas Haru would prefer/need the support. (Feels a bit like I'm being guilted into the latter though...)

Props, Persona 5 - didn't think I'd have this much of an issue deciding...

You being emotionally guilt tripped into a relationship is never a good thing.

Maybe it's time to step back and just become a bachelor (And wait until you're old enough to date Sae)

NotLiquid

Don't you just want to have a cozy evening with Haru as your wife, sharing a cup of coffee, talking about how hectic your day's been and having a tender moment, right before pops Sojiro step sister Futaba make an impromptu surprise visit to make some curry at your place

Wouldn't life just be so bliss

Ferrio

Banned
Don't you just want to have a cozy evening with Haru as your wife, sharing a cup of coffee, talking about how hectic your day's been and having a tender moment, right before pops Sojiro step sister Futaba make an impromptu surprise visit to make some curry at your place

Rather have Ohya making me dinner, enjoying some wine, then hitting the bed.

Toki767

What if you hate coffee

When I saw that answer I sighed and thought: She just won't appreciate how amazing this line is.
Your assertion that I am a an automaton for my lack in basic social cues is not extremely amusing and if I do say so myself I would request that you immediately cease this behavior. Now please assist me in recharging my battery as I've been out the whole day beep boop

Ultimadrago

Rather have Ohya making me dinner, enjoying some wine, then hitting the bed.

I'll admit, I "Oooh!"'d when I saw that scene on Youtube/

e09555b392a3eaa9ee0dfitqlf.gif

I'll admit, I "Oooh!"'d when I saw that scene on Youtube.

Have you seen Takemi's Rank 10? It's pretty good, IMO.

Too true...

And so the seesaw continues...

RalchAC

What if you hate coffee

Just try harder to like it. Some day you'll be ready to appreciate it.

Your assertion that I am a an automaton for my lack in basic social cues is not extremely amusing and if I do say so myself I would request that you immediately cease this behavior. Now please assist me in recharging my battery as I've been out the whole day beep boop

MC: Say with me I'm C3PO, human cyborg relationships.
Makoto: What are you talking about?
MC: Seems like this is going to be harder than expected.

Aki-at

Yeah but Makoto would probably end up watching me play Yakuza.

I dunno about you guys but playing a game about big brawny shirtless men beat the ever loving daylights out of each other on top of a giant tower in Shinjuku with my girl is pretty bliss. More so than worrying what's in the coffee this time.

Yeah but Makoto would probably end up watching me play Yakuza.

I dunno about you guys but playing a game about big brawny shirtless men beat the ever loving daylights out of each other on top of a giant tower in Shinjuku with my girl is pretty bliss. More so than worrying what's in the coffee this time.

But would Makoto even have the time to watch you play games - or even support you in using your time to play them - when she's so serious & busy with her job as
Police Chief
?

RalchAC

But would Makoto even have the time to watch you play games - or even support you in using your time to play them - when she's so serious & busy with her job as
Police Chief
?

Not really.

Plus, your Cafe could lose money for decades and you'll still be able to use paper money as lumber because of Okumura foods.

Hmm.. the more I think about it - Makoto can still be your favorite character overall even if you believe that Haru is the better romance option. Haru's story just works better and provides a happier future for the protagonist than Makoto's. (Works both ways honestly)

Hmm...

Aki-at

Police Chief
?

She's got a decade or so before she gets there. Still 3 to 5 more years in education too before she supports my lifestyle choic-

Wait, why would you assume you wouldn't get a job??? I don't need no sugar mummy to support my lifestyle choices, I've got a level 5 in knowledge and top of my class. I'm going to go earn it dammit!

Top Bottom